+ Reply to Thread

Tea Party protesters: "Mainstream" or "Fringe"

How often have we heard democrats and liberal pundits over the last 3 months, claim that the Tea Party, 9/12, and Town Hall protesters, are outside of the main stream and only represent a very small minority of Americans?

The left either out of ignorance, or by design, have grossly underestimated the number of people in America that agree with those protesters and their message... A message that all too often is lost in the coverage by the main stream media.

What they are protesting is Obama's policies, not him personally as the left would have you believe. It's about governments spending for programs such as Cap & Trade, Government run health care, corporate bail outs and more stimulus packages. They think Washington needs to address the economy and bring the deficit under control, instead of spending more money on more government programs. They are basically saying, "Less government, not more", and "Don't bankrupt America's future".

Is this message in line with "main stream" views and beliefs, or are these people on the "fringe" as the left would have us believe?

Only one way to find out... Let's take a look:

Cap & Trade:

Zogby - President Obama wants to impose cap-and-trade laws that would limit the total carbon dioxide emissions allowed to be released into the environment. These laws would turn carbon dioxide into a commodity allowing those that pollute less to sell credits to those that pollute more. These credits would be traded on commodities markets. According to congressional testimony given by the Director of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, decreasing emissions would also impose costs on the economy much of those costs will be passed along to consumers in the form of higher prices for energy and energy intensive goods. Some have estimated these costs to be $800 to $1300 more per household by 2015. Knowing this, do you support or oppose cap-and-trade laws?

Support 30%
    Oppose 57%

ABC/Washington Post - "What if a cap and trade program significantly lowered greenhouse gases but raised your monthly electrical bill by 25 dollars a month? In that case would you support or oppose it?"

Support 39%
    Oppose 59%

Government run health care:

CBS/NY Times - "Do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling health care?"

Approve 47%
    Disapprove 45%

NBC News/Wall Street Journal - Would you favor or oppose creating a public health care plan administered by the federal government that would compete directly with private health insurance companies?

Favor 46%
    Oppose 48%

Government Spending

Bloomberg - "Which do you think would do the most good to help the economy: more government spending even if it means a bigger budget deficit, or cutting spending even at the risk of a longer-lasting recession?"

More spending 28%
    Cutting spending 62%

Associated Press - "If you had to choose, do you lean more toward approving or disapproving of the way Barack Obama is handling:

The Economy - 44% Approve, 52% Disapprove
    Federal Budget Deficit - 33% Approve, 56% Disapprove
    Taxes - 38% Approve, 50% Disapprove

CNN/Opinion Research - Do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling:

The Economy - 49% Approve, 51% Disapprove
    Federal Budget Deficit - 36% Approve, 63% Disapprove
    Taxes - 45% Approve, 52% Disapprove

Big Government

USA Today - "In your opinion, which of the following will be the biggest threat to the country in the future: big business, big labor, or big government?"

Big business 32%
    Big labor 10%
    Big government 55%

Gallup - "Some people think the government is trying to do too many things that should be left to individuals and businesses. Others think that government should do more to solve our country's problems. Which comes closer to your own view?"

Trying to do too much 57%
    Should do more 38%

"What do you think is the most important problem facing the country today?"

CBS News/New York Times - 41% Economy, 19% Health care
    NBC News/Wall Street Journal - 30% Economy, 21% Health care
    Bloomberg - 46% Economy, 23% Health care
    CNN/Opinion Research - 41% Economy, 20% Health care
    Diageo/Hotline - 50% Economy, 23% Health care

Now democrats, you want to tell us all again how the people at these protests only represent a small minority of the American people?

The polls don't lie, and the efforts by the main stream media, liberals pundits, and the democrats in Washington to marginalize these protesters because of a few objectionable signs, or because they don't like some of the things they say about the current administration, doesn't change the validity of their message, or the number of people who agree with that message.

The sleeping giant has awakened... and for those of you on the left that haven't figured it out yet, trying to convince people that they are "stupid", "racists", or "hate mongers" if they agree with those protesters, or pundits like Glenn Beck that support them, is a liberal tactic that's no longer effective.

Far too many people don't like what they are seeing from Obama and the democrats, and no matter what you say or do, your not going to get them to shut up, go home, or go back to sleep. Obama and the democrats on capitol hill have pushed their progressive agenda too far this time, and the American people are going to put a stop to it, because they fear for the country's future.

So you all just keep on insulting and attacking these people, and we'll see how it plays out for you in the 2010 mid-terms.

Last edited by Grim17; 10-04-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Re: Tea Party protesters: "Mainstream" or "Fringe"

Off the top of my head, I'd say the tea party people are a "fringe" group. But, the argument isn't that simple. For decades now, both the Republican and Democratic parties have not been doing a good job for the majority of Americans. It bothers me when I see the tea party people simply attacking Obama and the left. The entire political system has been failing us for a long time. Obama is merely 1 part of a system that appears to be collapsing and failing.

Ever since the Carter Administration, both parties have allowed:

1. an influx of immigration without proper consideration and reflection on who we want to enter the nation.
    2. allowed jobs to flow out of the nation largely to Asia without considering future consequences
    3. allowed huge sums of money to be sent to Arab or other hostile nations in exchange for oil

I'd argue that the enormous transfer of wealth from the US to Asia and the Middle East is our most serious problem today, not liberalism, not conservatism, not Obama, etc. We're continuing to transfer out wealth and manufacturing capability abroad to nations that are not our friends.

Simply being anti-Obama or anti liberalism simply isn't enough. Both parties are at fault. Neither party is "for" the middle classes who are pretty much totally unrepresented in politics. If the "tea partiers" begin to address what I see as our root problems, then I'd gladly join but I'm not interested in favoring one side over the other when both sides are screwing us over.
    Last edited by prestonlewis; 10-04-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Re: Tea Party protesters: "Mainstream" or "Fringe"

Quote Originally Posted by prestonlewis View Post
    Off the top of my head, I'd say the tea party people are a "fringe" group. But, the argument isn't that simple. For decades now, both the Republican and Democratic parties have not been doing a good job for the majority of Americans. It bothers me when I see the tea party people simply attacking Obama and the left.
    Did you actually go to any of those town hall meetings, tea parties or the 9/12 protest in DC?

If you didn't, then it makes perfect sense that all you see are people "simply attacking Obama and the left", because thats all you you could have possibly seen from the main stream media... Especially since you have already stated that you don't watch Fox News.

If you did watch Fox News, you might have seen any of the dozens of interviews they did with the people that were actually there, and learned the reason why they chose to protest.

I have already laid out the reasons why so many, including myself, are angry with the direction the government is taking the country, and presented a number of public opinion polls that show quite clearly that these beliefs are shared by a majority of Americans, not a minority.

So you may choose to see the protesters themselves a "Fringe group" if you like, but their message clearly resonates with "main stream" America.