+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 64

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,298

    MLM vs. Insurance

    One of the members here made an interesting comment on the MLM vs. Real Estate Jobs thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by jebaroo View Post
    I have tried many times to make comparisons to the insurance industry and have gotten crucified....one doubted I ever had a license, another said I was a shill, another said I was scammer?
    Really?

    Why, that topic should make for a lively discussion, Jeb.

    So let me begin by giving my thoughts on MLM vs insurance. I don't mind being crucified.

    First, let's assume everyone needs insurance (we're talking life insurance here). Whether they do or not is a moot point, but we'll say they do.

    Now we know there are two main types of insurance - whole life and term.

    So for comparison, we'll call MLM juice whole life and regular orange juice term insurance.

    Is one better?

    Sure, orange juice.

    It has equal properties to that exotic, expensive juice grown on the slopes of the Himalayas or in the South American rain forest and costs a fraction of the price.

    Why pay for the more expensive juice? Save your money and invest the difference in some high yield equity fund.

    In summary...

    Don't be a douchebag.... just say no to MLM.

    If you want to annoy your friends and make some decent money for your efforts... at least have some self respect.... sell life insurance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bunkum View Post
    One of the members here made an interesting comment on the MLM vs. Real Estate Jobs thread...



    Really?

    Why, that topic should make for a lively discussion, Jeb.

    So let me begin by giving my thoughts on MLM vs insurance. I don't mind being crucified.

    First, let's assume everyone needs insurance (we're talking life insurance here). Whether they do or not is a moot point, but we'll say they do.

    Now we know there are two main types of insurance - whole life and term.

    So for comparison, we'll call MLM juice whole life and regular orange juice term insurance.

    Is one better?

    Sure, orange juice.

    It has equal properties to that exotic, expensive juice grown on the slopes of the Himalayas or in the South American rain forest and costs a fraction of the price.

    Why pay for the more expensive juice? Save your money and invest the difference in some high yield equity fund.

    In summary...

    Don't be a douchebag.... just say no to MLM.

    If you want to annoy your friends and make some decent money for your efforts... at least have some self respect.... sell life insurance!
    One quick question though. How do you know that orange juice is better than this imaginary MLM juice you are talking about. Have you done tests on it. Have you tried it for a certain amount of time?
    Just asking.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,298

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    One quick question though. How do you know that orange juice is better than this imaginary MLM juice you are talking about. Have you done tests on it. Have you tried it for a certain amount of time?
    Just asking.
    One quick question.

    Why didn't you respond to Wes' question?

    Quote Originally Posted by wserra View Post
    Let's start with just one question:

    If fucoidan (or glucosamine, or Amazonium, or Ayurvedamine, or the current MLM supplement of the month) is so good for you, why don't its makers pay a respected institution a relatively small portion of their profits and fund a controlled double-blind study to prove it?

    I don't see the answer to that on any web site.
    Just asking.

    Oh, and his other question:

    Quote Originally Posted by wserra View Post
    PubMed has 36,150 hits for "cyanide". Does that mean that cyanide is approximately 45 times better for you than fucoidan?
    Just asking.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    How do you know that orange juice is better than this imaginary MLM juice you are talking about. Have you done tests on it. Have you tried it for a certain amount of time?
    There's no need to do tests on orange juice. It has about 500 yrs of test results done on it already.

    You have heard of scurvy, haven't you? That's why they call you Brits limeys.

    And yes, I have tried it for a certain amount of time. Most of my life actually.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    His first question I cant answer because I am not the company... you would have to ask them.

    Second question: no I dont think that cyanide is 45 times better than fucoidan. But you could find that out by actually reading the PubMed reports.

    Yes we know that orange juice is very good for vitamin c (depending on where and how it was grown, and how long it was stored etc.), but how do you know if that MLM juice doesnt have many other better qualities. (there is a juice just been launched by a MLM that has much higher amounts of vitamin c than any orange juice).

    And to finish off... I'm not a Brit, I'm Irish. We havent been British since 1921.

    Edited to add: I meant have you tried these MLM juices (as you well know I did)
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Probably West of You
    Posts
    427

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bunkum View Post
    One of the members here made an interesting comment on the MLM vs. Real Estate Jobs thread...



    Really?

    Why, that topic should make for a lively discussion, Jeb.

    So let me begin by giving my thoughts on MLM vs insurance. I don't mind being crucified.

    First, let's assume everyone needs insurance (we're talking life insurance here). Whether they do or not is a moot point, but we'll say they do.

    Now we know there are two main types of insurance - whole life and term.

    So for comparison, we'll call MLM juice whole life and regular orange juice term insurance.

    Is one better?

    Sure, orange juice.

    It has equal properties to that exotic, expensive juice grown on the slopes of the Himalayas or in the South American rain forest and costs a fraction of the price.

    Why pay for the more expensive juice? Save your money and invest the difference in some high yield equity fund.

    In summary...

    Don't be a douchebag.... just say no to MLM.

    If you want to annoy your friends and make some decent money for your efforts... at least have some self respect.... sell life insurance!

    Do Not Argue By Analogy




    Arguing by analogy can be done in one bold, sweeping statement. For example: "Just as it was wrong to deny women the vote, it is also wrong to deny the vote to children." It can also be a lengthy, involved process, in which two speakers agree that a rule or predicate applies to one state of affairs, then argue over whether another state of affairs is enough like the first state of affairs for the same rule or predicate to apply to it.

    This is a waste of time, because analogies don't prove anything. An analogy can be useful to illustrate a point or explain something to someone who is unfamiliar with a concept. For example: "You are familiar with broccoli, right? Well cauliflower is like broccoli except that it is white" Analogies can also make an argument accessible or understandable to someone who is otherwise unwilling to be open-minded about it. For example: "Those who are unwilling to accept the possibility that animals deserve moral consideration should consider that much the same thing used to be said about racial minorities."

    This example, however, is not an argument. It is an attempt to get people who are simply closed-minded to look at the argument (the one the analogy is trying to support) more neutrally. Logically speaking, trying to argue about one thing by talking about something else is pointless. If you think that the line of argument that led you to believe something about X might also apply to Y, don't talk about X. Apply the reasoning to Y and see if it works.


    Source:

    http://www.ehow.com/how-to_4845353_6...al-errors.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by yodaattone View Post

    It was a very stupid analogy too.
    How can you compare something containing kelp (containing fucoidan), aloe vera gel, green tea and Russian adaptogens, with something that comes from oranges.
    Both have their own qualities, one of them costs a hell of a lot more to produce.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,796

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bunkum View Post
    If you want to annoy your friends and make some decent money for your efforts... at least have some self respect.... sell life insurance!
    but life insurance is mathematically doomed to fail...i cannot advise anyone to get into that industry

    there are over 450,000 licensed agents in the u.s.

    each agent is taught to sell 2 policies per week and get 5 referrals from each sale

    at the end of 1 year, there would be more referrals given than there are insurable people in the u.s.

    at the end of 4-5 years there would be more policies sold than insurable people living in the u.s.

    obvious scam and mathematically doomed to fail
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    What am I hiding? My true identity and I've been quite successful at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    I'm not hiding my identity.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by jebaroo View Post
    but life insurance is mathematically doomed to fail...i cannot advise anyone to get into that industry

    there are over 450,000 licensed agents in the u.s.

    each agent is taught to sell 2 policies per week and get 5 referrals from each sale

    at the end of 1 year, there would be more referrals given than there are insurable people in the u.s.

    at the end of 4-5 years there would be more policies sold than insurable people living in the u.s.

    obvious scam and mathematically doomed to fail
    That argument sounds very much like someone else's argument against MLM.
    :
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    172

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by jebaroo View Post
    but life insurance is mathematically doomed to fail...i cannot advise anyone to get into that industry

    there are over 450,000 licensed agents in the u.s.

    each agent is taught to sell 2 policies per week and get 5 referrals from each sale

    at the end of 1 year, there would be more referrals given than there are insurable people in the u.s.

    at the end of 4-5 years there would be more policies sold than insurable people living in the u.s.

    obvious scam and mathematically doomed to fail
    This is hilarious. So why is the life insurance industry alive and well dispite the "fastmoney-style" analysis (or should I say parody)? Because most people fail at selling life insurance and the geomteric growth numbers never happen in reality. And it's the same in MLM. It doesn't mean everybody couldn't be successful in insurance. It just means that very few people have the stomach for it. If you're willing though the rewards are huge. I know top producing agents that earn $500K+ annually but only because they didn't quit. (It's interesting to note that all insurance agencies have a multi-level override system for new sales people all the way up to the General Agent) Just like MLM, its not a good or a bad thing and doesn't make selling insurance wrong because most fail; it's just human nature and provides more opportunity for the strong.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,298

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by jebaroo View Post
    ... at the end of 4-5 years there would be more policies sold than insurable people living in the u.s.

    obvious scam and mathematically doomed to fail
    Absolutely correct.

    Only problem, it may be a scam, but we need insurance (at least if you a family).

    We don't need Limu though.

    Can get along without it.

    But it's funny...

    The first life insurance policy on record was written in London on June 18, 1536.

    So, using your figures, how come there haven't been more policies sold than insurable people living in the world?

    Not to mention as an aside, insurance is a highly regulated industry.

    A certain other industry isn't - it's the Wild West all over.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bunkum View Post
    Absolutely correct.

    Only problem, it may be a scam, but we need insurance (at least if you a family).

    We don't need Limu though.
    But many people want it. When you understand the difference between need and want you'll be half way there!
    I sold insurance many years ago, and found it very hard. Many people admitted they needed it but they didnt want it.

    But it's funny...

    The first life insurance policy on record was written in London on June 18, 1536.

    So, using your figures, how come there haven't been more policies sold than insurable people living in the world?
    The same question to you. Using your figures, how come everyone in the world isnt a MLM distributor?
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,265

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    That argument sounds very much like someone else's argument against MLM.
    :
    It's also your argument for MLM...all you have to do is find 5 that find 5 that find 5.....and then you have this great residual income....

    The math shows that it will fail if you want any measurable success rate for your participants. MLM is sold as "anyone can do it", not "most everyone, by defintion, can't."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
    It's also your argument for MLM...all you have to do is find 5 that find 5 that find 5.....and then you have this great residual income....

    The math shows that it will fail if you want any measurable success rate for your participants. MLM is sold as "anyone can do it", not "most everyone, by defintion, can't."

    Where is it my argument? I've never said that ''all you do is find 5 by 5 by 5.
    But that is Doc's argument as to why it wont work.
    Show me where I tell people that.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,265

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Where is it my argument? I've never said that ''all you do is find 5 by 5 by 5.
    But that is Doc's argument as to why it wont work.
    Show me where I tell people that.
    How does one establish measurable residual income in MLM?

    You said:
    The aim of the game in MLM is to build a residual income, in other words a walk-away income. You are not going to do that if you have a group full of distributors who want all of your time, wanting you to do all their presentations for them every day for the rest of their lives. So your number one aim is to find ''leaders''. People who are coachable, self motivated, and after a certain amount of time being coached, dont need you anymore, because they go off and do the same as they've been taught, without your help.
    exactly...go find leaders, who find leaders, who find leaders.....

    not everyone can do that, few in fact...mathematically proven.
    Last edited by calvinandhobbes; 09-30-2009 at 12:59 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
    How does one establish measurable residual income in MLM....enough to retire on?

    PS: you've answered this question before....in the same way you just said you haven't....not to mention, it's on your company's website.
    By finding and building (coaching) leaders.

    Not everyone by any means will do it.

    Not everyone joins a MLM company to retire on a residual income.

    Not everyone joins a MLM company for financial freedom.
    Some will join to buy products at wholesale and never sponsor anyone.
    Some will join to earn enough to pay for their own products. This can be done without sponsoring anyone.
    Some will join to build a small part time income maybe only sponsoring one or two.
    Some will sponsor five. Out of those five maybe three do no sponsoring, one sponsors one or two, and one sponsors five........... and so on and so on.....

    And of course, most people will do nothing at all, and quit.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,906

    Re: MLM vs. Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
    How does one establish measurable residual income in MLM?

    You said:exactly...go find leaders, who find leaders, who find leaders.....

    not everyone can do that, few in fact...mathematically proven.

    Everyone can build a residual income of some sort, even without sponsoring.
    If you find one customer who uses the products for the rest of their lives and orders every month.... that commission is paid to you residually every month.
    Residual income can be any amount, its not only the top earners get it.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Similar Threads

  1. Insurance! have you insurance?
    By Jane_angel in forum Insurance Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2018, 08:46 AM
  2. Vi Sal Us and Insurance
    By LadyRedd515 in forum MLM Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2018, 08:46 AM
  3. Should I get pet insurance ?
    By Insurance Information Online in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2015, 08:20 PM
  4. Insurance Fraud by Insurance Agent!
    By Pissed Off 2 in forum Insurance Scams
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM
  5. Please, help me with my car insurance.
    By blackjack in forum Insurance Scams
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •