+ Reply to Thread

Santamaria's Karate in Garland, TX is a Rip-off!!!

Our family enrolled our son in Santamaria's Karate in 2006. We had a very disapointing experience.

We had Monday / Wednesday or Tuesday / Thursday classes to choose from in the beginning. Once we were tricked into signing the three year contract and joining the black belt club the class schedule was cut to 2 classes a week for each level. It became impossible to make class with my husband coaching our son's soccer team and our daughter in piano lessons. The classes then were reduced from 45 minutes to about 25 minutes with classes back to back in the very cramped and unwelcoming facility.

We never received the product discounts we were promised. There were no black belt club activities as promised. The team never went to any competitions or tournaments after we joined expecting to do that.

We were also coerced into buying a new weapon every 2 months without our child having time to learn to use them. The weapons class only met once a week on Friday for half an hour. We were also coerced into paying for a graduation ceremony and new belt every 2 months. The kids weren't required to demonstrate any skills to earn these belts. It was simply aonther way to empty the parents' pockets.

Master Santamaria was dishonest and very rude to all the parents. Our children were constantly yelled at, belittled and humiliated by Master Santamaria. I strongly suggest parents looking for martial arts instruction in the Garland area to look elsewhere. There are many far superior and less expensive alternatives!

Soapboxmom

Re: Santamaria's Karate in Garland, TX is a Rip-of

http://garlandkickboxing.com/children.html
    My name is Jose Santamaria and I own and operate one of the most successful Martial Arts schools in the Garland area, Santamaria's karate & Kickboxing - Martial Arts for Life.

If it is so successful why have virtually all the families that enrolled in the last 4 years left? Where are all those black belts that should have graduated a year ago? Where are all the tournament trophies for the non-existent school team?

Soapboxmom

Our family has found Santamaria's Karate in Garland(www.startkarate.com) to be a great influence for my son. He started in 2009. Master SantaMaria has NEVER yelled at my son, even though my son has very bad behavior problems. Before joining Karate, my son was getting in trouble / fighting EVERY day in school. After joining just a few months, my son is having very few problems in school. Master SantaMaria is willing and offers to help children with behavior problems.
    We have signed a contract; however it is just 6 months and is a very reasonable price. Classes are 2 days a week for 30 minutes. Plus the students can come into other time slots if they really want to at no extra charge.
    So far there have been two competitions we were invited to. One was in DFW. The other was in San Antonio. We did not go to either because we feel that Karate is not all about competing, who wins or what team you are on. It is about discipline, strength, and self control.
    Graduations happen every few months. The children do show what they have learned during the graduation. Master SantaMaria starts with the basics with everyone on the floor. Then he has white / yellow belts sit down, and then the rest of the children continue to demonstrate. Then the orange belts sit down, and the rest continue, etc. You only receive your next belt if you show proper attitude and learned the material, it is not automatic.
    I hope you come into the school to observe for yourself what this Karate program is all about. Donít judge it by what just one person writes on the internet. It is just one personís opinion. See for yourself and come up with your own opinion.

Welcome anti-hippie,

There are a few more things I will point out to you as our family spent thousands of dollars on that program and it was a complete toilet flush.

The forms taught at that school are not the traditional TaeKwonDo forms. Your son cannot compete in a TKD tournament as they only do the traditional forms in those competitions. You can go to Karate tournaments and compete. Our son now competes successfully in both. He got gold medals / first place in his age and rank in forms and sparring at the Forth Worth International TaeKwonDo Championships last year.

My son and daughter have also been taught many kicks and hand strikes that you will never learn in the program you are in. We are also paying significantly less for classes available to attend several times a day 6 days a week with no limit. So, my kids are in 50 minute classes 4 times a week. Our new school is filled with legions of black belts that have been in the program happily for many years and also assist with teaching.

Almost everyone we were in class with at Santamaria's Karate left very unhappy and some very talented and hard working kids were cheated out of the black belts they had worked exceedingly hard to earn at Santamaria's Karate. Leaving and seeking out a far superior program was the best thing in the world for our family.

Soapboxmom

SORRY ANTIHIPPIE.....SOAPBOX MOM IS RIGHT :1crysad:

I have a 9 year old daughter who enrolled in Mr. Santamarias class almost a year ago and I want to take the time to comment on my personal experience with the class. First the class has been very structured and consistent, Mr. Santamaria is so good with the kids he teaches self defence and self discipline lessons and he is able to have fun with the kids while gaining the utmost respect from them at the same time. My daughter has matured so much and is alot more concious of using her manners. I have learned that it is extremely effective for a child to use what they learn when they enjoy and respect their instructor. I couldn't wish for a better experience my daughter looks forward to her class every week and our experience has been so positive that we have sent many referrals who are also pleased with their experience. I highly recommend you try the class-Mr Santamaria offers a free trial class which is a great opportunity for you and your child to see if it is a good fit. It has been great for me and my family. Thank you Mr Santamaria for all that you have contributed to my daughter.