In all of recorded history, has there EVER been a more pandering, simpering, crawling, begging, squirming apology as this one? He needs to learn--never write stuff if you aren't prepared to be killed. Enjoy!

exhibit A:

Author Sebastian Faulks risks Muslim fury by describing the Koran as the 'depressing rantings of a schizophrenic'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0QeBc06Su

Exhibit B:

Sebastian Faulks: The book I really can't put down
Sebastian Faulks apologises if his comments about the Koran have offended Muslims.

By Sebastian Faulks
Published: 8:06PM BST 24 Aug 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-put-down.html

There seems to be an almost inevitable irritation when novelists in Britain and America, with their long history of free speech, touch on matters Islamic. I am not the first and probably won't be the last to have ruffled some feathers, though I feel sad about this, because my new novel, A Week in December, is carefully researched, and, among its main characters, presents a hugely sympathetic and loving Muslim family; it is furthermore made clear that the parents' kindness and good citizenship spring not just from being naturally good eggs but from their devotion to the Koran.

The crucial issue, I suppose, that divides Muslims from other religions is the nature of the holy scripture. We Christians and Jews have long accepted that our scriptures were written by humans; indeed, much biblical scholarship focuses on exactly which humans, and when.

For Muslims, after some intra-religious debate, it was agreed that the Koran is "uncreated": this means, as I understand it, that it is literally and in every syllable the word of the Almighty, unshaped ("uncreated") by human hand.

When, with some excitement, I first read the Koran last year as research for my novel, I confess that I was disappointed by it. Raised as a child on the exciting stories of the Old Testament and inspired by the revolutionary teachings of the New, I had, perhaps naively, expected something comparable. The Koran has lovely passages, some of which inspire my character Farooq in the novel, but I did find it, from a literary point of view, repetitive.

As for whether it is ethically less developed than the New Testament, a Muslim friend put it to me like this: "You must compare like with like. Compare it to the Old Testament."

That is a fair point. I fully accept that the ethical dimension of modern Islam has been provided by generations of scholars and thinkers over many centuries; it was perhaps too much to expect to find it embedded from the word "Go" – to expect, in other words, that the Koran would be two books, two testaments, in one.

While we Judaeo-Christians can take a lot of verbal rough-and-tumble about our human-written scriptures, I know that to Muslims the Koran is different; it is by definition beyond criticism. And if anything I said or was quoted as saying (not always the same thing) offended any Muslim sensibility, I do apologise – and without reservation.

It was never my intention to offend my Muslim friends or readers, and if you read my novel I think you will see how I have shown the positive effects of the Koran on a kind and typical Muslim family. The family son, Hassan, falls in with bad men and is misled. I can't tell you without spoiling the story whether goodness prevails; but if it does, it is considerably due to the love of his devout parents.....