+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Am I scammed?

Hello there everybody!
    The story begins with a website where you can read various ads, where I found an advertisement about a driving job."Can you drive? Get in touch!"Said.
    So I got in touch and then I get this:

Hello ,

Thanks for getting back to me: As you know I’m in the city now but I will be leaving wit my Father for the states for a meeting in Florida by tommorrow and will be coming to England after three weeks, My name is Mr Tanya Hathaway and I’m 28 years old. I am into the Sales of Sculptures , beeds , gold , and also run delivery businesses,goods carriage for my father. I’m relocating to the city permanently very soon with my father we lost my mother 7 years ago.I will supply you with more details about me.My father is 54 years and cannot drive due to an accident,please i need you to be his driver.He is fun to be with,likes joke,you will really enjoy working with him.

You can work during the weeken if you cant afford to work Monday to Thursday.

I also looking for two truck drivers,two delivery man,I have two truck and a delivery Van.
    I am looking for a personal driver for my old father , to work four days a week Monday to Thursday 9:00 am to 4:00pm (if you cant make it this days we can fix convenient schedule) I have paid for a Volks Wagen Passat 2006 Model Car and it is waiting for me at the airport you will not need to use your own car as my car will be available but if you think you will like to use your own car that will be no problem. You will drive my father to appointments,meetings and take him back home.Take him around the city until those hours.I need to know which position you are interested in,do you wanna be a truck driver,delivery man or my personal driver for my father.You shall be taking my goods to my customer within United Kingdom with the truck if you wanna be the truck driver.

Please answer and provide to me all information’s listed below.

How long know have you being driving?

Do you have a valid drivers license?

Are You married?

How Much Do You Want Per Week?

How Long do You Think You can Work?

What your Full name?

Your Full Address with your Post Code?

How old are you? (It does not matter how old you are just asking)

Do you know your city area like well enough?

Have you being in any accident? (Not a problem just asking)

I will wait to hear from you and also if there are any information you have for me or any questions you have for me do not fail to ask.

Do have a nice day.

Mr Tanya Hathaway

Well a wasnt sure what to do so just send my name and how long I am driving. and next day I got this:

Hello,

How are you doing,thanks for your reply email , i really appreciate.I really want to assure you that you will enjoy working with my Father.

Our Home Address in your city will be given to you,you will be picking him up every day Monday to Thursday (if you can work during the weekend,its okay) you have the weekends off as he would working in his studios over the weekend and will have not need to go out.I will email you the name of the hotel and address as soon as i can book for the hotel.I also want to assure you that you have the job and please do not apply for another driver job please get back to me and assure me that you will wait for me until I arrive the United Kingdom on the 30th of this month. I will also attached a picture of myself and my father in my next mail. I will also like to pay weekly the weekly pay will be 400Gbp and additional 50.00Gbp. I talked to my agent in the United Kingdom about you and he thinks it is a good idea I make upfront payment of one week to you to secure you as my driver and also I will be needing your help too.

As per the truck and delivery man,We deliver parcel,letters and catalogue to our customers within the city, we will discuss more of your job details face to face but before then i need you to complete this assignment for me.The truck man shall be transporting my goods and our customers good to their destination within the city.

My agent's Company will mail a Bank Certified cheque, you will cash the check deduct your first week additional wages of 350GBp and wire the re-fund to me via Bank To Bank transfer so that I can book my Flight ticket and also take care of business down here before I come to the United Kingdom. The following of your details be needed:

FULL NAME:
    ADDRESS:
    Post Code.
    PHONE NUMBER(Cell and Home Phone)

Please provide to me all information's listed above and Do you have a driver's license? and how long have been driving?

I will wait to hear from you and also if they're any info you have for me or any questions you have for me do not fail to ask.

Do have a nice day.Ring me on +447024078997 if you have any questions.

Mr Tanya Hathaway

To be honest, it was suspicious for me but my girlfriend asked"why wouldn`t we send the address, cant be harm."
    So I did.
    And then We got this mail:

Hello

Thanks for accepting to be my driver: I have talked to my agent in the Scotland about you and he thinks it is a good idea I make upfront payment of one week to you to secure you as my driver and also I will be needing your help too.

My agent will mail a cashiers check of 2500.00GBp you will cash the check deduct your first week wages of 350.00Gbp and wire the re-fund to me via Bank To Bank transfer so that I can book my Flight ticket and also take care of business down here before I come to the United kingdom.

I will need your home address so that my agent will mail the check via post to your home Address.I want you to know that you got this job so you dont need to look for another job

I will supply you with more details of my arrival and my hotel bookings.Ring me on +447024078997.

Thanks

Mr Tanya Hathaway

I haven`t replied for this yet, cos I don`t know what to do.
    Is it a scam?
    Am I scammed already?

Thanks for reading and supporting!
    Cheers, Michael!

Ps: Sorry for the bad grammar, still learning this language.

Re: Am I scammed?

yeah, sorry, its a scam. its a fake check they don't wanna cash cause they will go to jail so they have you cash it and hope you send back their part before you go to jail. it doesn't matter if you do or don't cause they made the same offer to 1000 people and some of them will send back the money.

the +44 70 telephone numbers used in scams are call forwarding services so a nigerian can appear to be in london.

Great!
    So, they are gonna send me a cheque and what then?
    what should i do with the fake one?just put it in the bin or give it to one of my friend make him to take it the bank and then give me the money?
    Good idea :)
    hey anyway,Mumbles, Can ask you a favour...

Do not deposit the check. Sooner or later it will bounce or come up stolen and they go after the depositor.

Once you send them money it will be long gone and you will also be liable for the money you deposited and withdrew.

This is a classic scam. Throw the check away.

Listen to Mumbles.

i can't imagine what favor i could perform for a stranger far away but feel free to ask.

or, you want me to cash the check for you ?
    Last edited by mumbles; 02-15-2008 at 01:00 PM.

How do you know that this is a scam? Have you had a run-in with it before?

Am I scammed?

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    i can't imagine what favor i could perform for a stranger far away but feel free to ask.

or, you want me to cash the check for you ?
    Hey i want to know i am scammed

Dear Atila,

How are you doing? hope you are doing great.

Once more, I'm so happy to have found a Driver after a long search for one you sound so nice and i hope we'll have a nice time to together. All i want is an effective Driver.

So, about myself now. I am a very likable, very friendly, easy going, down to earth person. My parents are both Americans but i was born in Italy and we live here in the United Kingdom. I went to school until the age of 11 and then i went to an international boarding school in the Czech Republic for 6 years. My most fluent language is English. I spent a year traveling around Canada (Ontario) and some of the States with a dance and theater group, i used to be a performing artist... kind of as a hobby more than anything. I generally have a real love for traveling thats why am into tourism right now.I've lived in a variety of places and with people from all backgrounds. I've taken part in a lot of voluntary projects around the world, like Guyana,Hawaii, Portugal, Hungary, Albania etc.

I'm really into good films, i love European cinema, and the latest great films i saw are Almodovars new movie and a movie called Stray Dogs by a Iranian film maker.I also love music, currently really into folk/rock/indie stuff but i go through fazes of jazz and more tripop.I love going out to pubs and hanging out with friends, and i really like meeting new people. I'm still officially into road construction. I'm going on and on but I'm trying to give you as much information as i can. I have 2 sisters and a brother,. I'm generally very laid back quite bubbly people say and easy going. I'm clean and easygoing man but not compulsive about it.

I will be going to west Africa for a research and also to purchase raw materials that will take me about two weeks before coming over to the States.So without much waste of time we would like to pay you upfront to secure your services as my Driver.

You will working Monday Through Friday and the Weekend will be your days off You are to resume in the morning by 10:00am your Launch break will be by 1:00pm and close by 4:30pm and i would prefer to pay your wages weekly which will be $1,850 every week but the upfront payment will be $900 as long as you will be good and effective.Also i would ask you send over to me a copy of your picture so i'll know who am working with.

Nevertheless i will be staying in an hotel in the United States for some couple of days before i get a house that will be close to you.So i'll like to know where you are located.

Please get back to me asap with all information about you and also the following information so that we can get this sorted out.

1. Full Name:
    2. Postal Address:
    3. Phone Number (s):

4. Experiences as a Driver if any:
    5. Age:
    6. Likes and Dislikes:

Attached is the only pics i have in my PC and it's me and my Mom.

Thanks for your time.
    Sincerely Yours

Mark Wilson
    105 Vauxhall Bridge Road
    London
    SW1V 1AU

Please answer me asap.

The address Mr. Wilson provides is not on Google Maps, Yahoo Maps or Mapquest. It would appear to be in the vicinity of Victoria Station in London.

Also, he claims that English is his "most fluent language", yet his writing style couldn't pass a primary school writing exam.

The claim that he is going to West Africa also raises a large red flag for me. Many of the scams perpetrated on the Internet come out of that region.

Don't fall for this scammer.
    Owner/Creator
    C and D Games
    Analog Games in a Digital World.

Yup, go to http://www.fakechecks.org/ for advice and see if it passes their test :crap:

its always the same:
    dear stranger, i am sending you a check for much more than i owe you. deposit it in your bank and send me ( or somebody ) the change back by western union.
    the check is always fake but takes the bank a week or two to find out for sure cause the bank tries to trust that you would not put a fake check in your account. but when the bank is sure, they are going to take their money out of your account or out of your hide.

its always the same:

the check is always fake but takes the bank a week or two to find out for sure cause the bank tries to trust that you would not put a fake check in your account. but when the bank is sure, they are going to take their money out of your account or out of your hide.
    It's not because the bank "trusts" you... There is a financial industry rule that says if the check passes all of the initial rudamentary verification (they usually go by the look of the check), it is less that $5000, and they have no other reason to mistrust the check's authenticity or the bearer then they must make the funds available in 3-5 days.

If it turns out to be a fake check (they find out 1-5 weeks later) then the bank will deducts that amount back out of your account, deducts a bad check fee, and contacts their fraud department for investigation.

Been their, done that twice. :-)

If you start getting calls from bank customer service and eventually a collection agency they your credit is screwed until you pay it back (but this is a signal that they most likely don't intend upon prosecuting you.)

If you start getting serios calls from the bank's fraud department and eventually law enforcement the you are screwed and you may want to consult a good criminal attorney for further advice. :1crysad:
    Last edited by Ritual Sacrifice; 03-27-2008 at 10:54 PM.

WATCH OUT! Scammed by Vahram Dughestani

Like many other people on this site, I have been scammed. This is what happened. I have been buying phones from a guy I met on *****slist Vancouver for 3 times already. Each time he is able to supple me with 3 to 10 phones (whether it’s blackberry or iphones). It’s always we meet in person and I hand over the cash while he hands over the phones. As usual, he called me on Sunday Night and said he got another shipment of 12 iphones coming in on Tues (Mar.31 09), but this time he requires me to pay him $450 x 12phones in advance as a deposit on Mar 30. To reassure me, he said he’ll give me 2 pieces of ID ( SIN and WASHINGTON driver’s license). I said I will think about it and the max. I can pay (if terms are agreed on) was $3000. After 5 mins, he txted me and say “He trusts me and tell me to pay him $3000).” I said I’ll think about it, and he just went ahead and paid his friend (if there is such person) Later when I called him saying that this is too suspicious, he claims that he already PAID his friend and that there is no way to breach the contract. After much thinking, I decided to pay him $3000 for deposit.

http://www.bustathief.com/watch-out-...am-dughestani/

Driver, Personal Assistant Wanted; A Scam?

Hi. I'm a new member. I have been recieving a number of offers of employment concerning people coming in from overseas and needing a personal driver for X period of time. They don't ask for any information that isn't already public, such as age name, driving record, etc. No asking for banking info, SSN, license number. The one who actually sent payment did turn out to be a money order scam. My question is; are these offers usually scams or have some been to be found legit?

Re: Driver, Personal Assistant Wanted; A Scam?

yes, sorry, its a check cashing scam. a criminal has an account number for some business and he can get blank checks at office supply. he will make up any story you want to hear but in the end, he needs you to deposit the fake check in your account then forward part of the money to somebody else, by moneygram or western union. the somebody else is also him. your bank trusts you and does not expect you to deposit fake items. your bank has no way to know it fake until the company the check is drawn on complains. then you are in trouble. you will be waiting at the airport for your mystery traveler who isn't coming.

Re: Driver, Personal Assistant Wanted; A Scam?

yes, sorry, its a check cashing scam. a criminal has an account number for some business and he can get blank checks at office supply. he will make up any story you want to hear but in the end, he needs you to deposit the fake check in your account then forward part of the money to somebody else, by moneygram or western union. the somebody else is also him. your bank trusts you and does not expect you to deposit fake items. your bank has no way to know it fake until the company the check is drawn on complains. then you are in trouble. you will be waiting at the airport for your mystery traveler who isn't coming.
    Appreciate the quick reply. The last offer did send a MoneyGram money order, which looked quite real. A friend gave me the number that the MoneyGram stores use to verify funds. the money order was real-at one time. It had been made out for a different amount and cashed last year. These guys are good. Thanks again. Dan