+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 25

  1. #1

    Big religious scam

    Isn't it a big scam to force your child to accept your beliefs and religion?

    I personally think that it is one of the biggest legal scam ever.

    Not let your child to grow up and decide what is his truth and what is not.

    Just my opinion,please share yours.
    Last edited by fastbookmark; 08-30-2009 at 03:43 AM.

  2. #2

    Re: Big religious scam

    Sorry wrong forum,moderators please replace it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    750

    Re: Big religious scam

    looks like it's not only the right forum, but a valid question, too.

    some parents of my parents' generation, especially those of mixed marriages, gave their kids a choice. more of those of my generation, like both my siblings, made sure their kids were exposed to multiple faiths.

    sadly, many more turned their backs altogether on churches and synagogues and their kids had no religious education at all and no experience of religious ceremony and feasting in their homes either.

    i'm guessing from the tenor of your post, you are a teen facing demands to attend worship services. good guess? what faith is at issue and how serious is the conflict in your family, if you'd like to share that.

    if not, it's your turn to make your point.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Folsom, PA
    Posts
    163

    Re: Big religious scam

    I was brought up Catholic and became an atheist as an adult. I purposely did not raise my daughter in any religion. She is now of college age and exploring the options. If she chooses to become a member of a religion I will support her, but I don't think she will.
    http://fitnessvideou.com/
    Where fitness professionals go to learn how to use video to promote their business

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    750

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by mike pulcinella View Post
    I was brought up Catholic and became an atheist as an adult. I purposely did not raise my daughter in any religion. She is now of college age and exploring the options. If she chooses to become a member of a religion I will support her, but I don't think she will.
    are you sure you do not believe that there is at least one main deity and quite possibly a whole shitpot more as suggested by all the religions?

    many professed atheists often turn out to be live to the spirit and turned off by the hypocrisy of the churches.

    to me, more than one person has referred to his or faith as being a Catholic in recovery.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Folsom, PA
    Posts
    163

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Medium View Post
    are you sure you do not believe that there is at least one main deity and quite possibly a whole shitpot more as suggested by all the religions?

    many professed atheists often turn out to be live to the spirit and turned off by the hypocrisy of the churches.

    to me, more than one person has referred to his or faith as being a Catholic in recovery.

    That may be true of many ex-Catholics and I certainly have been turned off to religion...but not necessarily to God. I have nothing against the "real" God, if there is one. I'm pretty sure He'll be nothing like what the religions say He is.

    However, my gut feeling is that God itself is an human created illusion so I'm going with that.
    http://fitnessvideou.com/
    Where fitness professionals go to learn how to use video to promote their business

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    750

    Re: Big religious scam

    then according to my understanding of the awareness you express, you should call yourself agnostic. draws less heat from churchianiacs, too

  8. #8

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Medium View Post
    looks like it's not only the right forum, but a valid question, too.
    Yes,It is the right forum off-course.I firstly posted in internet scams by accident and the post has stayed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Medium View Post
    i'm guessing from the tenor of your post, you are a teen facing demands to attend worship services. good guess? what faith is at issue and how serious is the conflict in your family, if you'd like to share that.
    On the contrary,I turn 32 soon,I have no kids.My parents aren't religious.They don't go at church and didn't press me on anything related to religion stuff.

    It's hardly to declare myself where I belong,but the most convenient definition for now could be "agnostic theist".Maybe I'm wrong,but leave it stay like that.I am still searching for my real path.

    In my country mainly live orthodox.

    I was inspired to ask this question,because in my country is custom that kids be cruised when they turn 1 year.I find it senseless.even orthodox bishops claim that is not that right,but viva orthodox religion.

    On the other hand I get an impression that 90%of people calling themselves Orthodox and they don't know almost anything about their faith.it may sound pathetic and sadly.I am aware that can't be crucial at all.

    I would write longer posts,but it is time consuming at my english skills level.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Folsom, PA
    Posts
    163

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Medium View Post
    then according to my understanding of the awareness you express, you should call yourself agnostic. draws less heat from churchianiacs, too
    I suppose so, but I don't bother with the labels anymore. I assume the POSSIBILITY of God for the sake of argument and because it is the fool who claims to know the unknowable.

    And yet my gut feeling remains that God is an illusion. So an "uncertain atheist" maybe?? These things are never as clear-cut as we'd like them to be.
    http://fitnessvideou.com/
    Where fitness professionals go to learn how to use video to promote their business

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11

    Re: Big religious scam

    I am sorry Moderator, but I guess you have a wrong belief on that. It does not mean that the kids went with their parents in the church is forcing them to believe what they believe. It simply introducing the child to the faith,basically the kids that is not know what is right and wrong so its the parents duties to give their children good fundamental belief, but when he/she old enough to know what he/she want she can choose.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Folsom, PA
    Posts
    163

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by uday1583 View Post
    I am sorry Moderator, but I guess you have a wrong belief on that. It does not mean that the kids went with their parents in the church is forcing them to believe what they believe. It simply introducing the child to the faith,basically the kids that is not know what is right and wrong so its the parents duties to give their children good fundamental belief, but when he/she old enough to know what he/she want she can choose.
    I disagree. Children don't have the capacity to truly understand what is being presented to them. Religion uses shock and scare tactics that kids are especially susceptible to.
    http://fitnessvideou.com/
    Where fitness professionals go to learn how to use video to promote their business

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    115

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by mike pulcinella View Post
    I disagree. Children don't have the capacity to truly understand what is being presented to them. Religion uses shock and scare tactics that kids are especially susceptible to.
    And evolution uses what? Fish and ....

    Hmm, let's see... evolution teaches that nothing is wrong. Survival of the fittest. Selective. We are animals. So, those kids who are brought up in evolution shouldn't worry, or be scared!??!!? Why not, I mean, at any moment they could be wiped of the planet because they aren't strong enough... or maybe they wouldn't reproduce a better person....

    So why not teach the kids what evolution is really all about. It's a hell of a lot more scary than God's love. Oh wait, maybe they "got it", without being told.... let's see .... you are an animal... you came from nothing ... there is no absolute moral code, only what we say ..... kill, rape, rob ..... blame it on ....why, blame it on evolution. We are an ANIMAL that came from an ANIMAL - no better, no less.

    Look around us and see what teaching our children that we are animals has done.....

    Ask yourself why you are here. Wouldn't you be more effective organizing demonstrations and painting signs. You are here to "bottom feed" .... you have no purpose other than that. Which is sad in it's self....

    -me
    ...There are hearts so hard in sin that nothing will work upon them to reduce and reclaim them...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Folsom, PA
    Posts
    163

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by malchediel View Post
    And evolution uses what? Fish and ....

    Hmm, let's see... evolution teaches that nothing is wrong. Survival of the fittest. Selective. We are animals. So, those kids who are brought up in evolution shouldn't worry, or be scared!??!!? Why not, I mean, at any moment they could be wiped of the planet because they aren't strong enough... or maybe they wouldn't reproduce a better person....

    So why not teach the kids what evolution is really all about. It's a hell of a lot more scary than God's love. Oh wait, maybe they "got it", without being told.... let's see .... you are an animal... you came from nothing ... there is no absolute moral code, only what we say ..... kill, rape, rob ..... blame it on ....why, blame it on evolution. We are an ANIMAL that came from an ANIMAL - no better, no less.

    Look around us and see what teaching our children that we are animals has done.....

    Ask yourself why you are here. Wouldn't you be more effective organizing demonstrations and painting signs. You are here to "bottom feed" .... you have no purpose other than that. Which is sad in it's self....

    -me
    Life is scary. Life is hard, and sometimes pointless and violent. If teaching evolution teaches children to be more realistic about what's in store for them I would rather have that than to force feed them an illusion no matter how comforting it might be.

    Further, survival of the fittest IS how things work in nature. Animals DO kill and eat each other with no mercy. If you believe that God created everything then you also must believe that He designed nature this way. Your argument is with Him, not with me.

    Lastly, morality comes from being a human being, not from God. If one were to live as the Bible suggests one would can justify everything from killing your children for talking back to outright genocide in God's name. Tell me how that is moral.
    http://fitnessvideou.com/
    Where fitness professionals go to learn how to use video to promote their business

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    172

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by fastbookmark View Post
    Not let your child to grow up and decide what is his truth and what is not..
    So, what do we do? Do we let our child grow up without presenting them with any knowledge whatsoever? Only provide them with proven scientific laws, proven mathematical equations, proven psychological observations, proven historical accounts?

    I'm not arguing for religion here, but I think the whole scope of education involves everything. The world around us is described in very intangible ways. If we stick to just the facts, then the child receives very limited knowledge, and may not strive to ask further questions.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    690

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by fastbookmark View Post
    Isn't it a big scam to force your child to accept your beliefs and religion?

    I personally think that it is one of the biggest legal scam ever.

    Not let your child to grow up and decide what is his truth and what is not.

    Just my opinion,please share yours.
    If you don't teach children the truth, then they might believe in lies like evolution.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    115

    Re: Big religious scam

    Quote Originally Posted by mike pulcinella View Post
    Life is scary. Life is hard, and sometimes pointless and violent. If teaching evolution teaches children to be more realistic about what's in store for them I would rather have that than to force feed them an illusion no matter how comforting it might be.
    Yes, life is like that. However, that is not how life started off to be.

    Further, survival of the fittest IS how things work in nature. Animals DO kill and eat each other with no mercy. If you believe that God created everything then you also must believe that He designed nature this way. Your argument is with Him, not with me.
    If you cannot accept "sin", then how could I possibly explain this to you? I can't, but I can bring it back to your world view. If you want your kids to know what is in store for them and not believe a fairy tale -- life is survival of the fittest. Animals kill each other. The strong survive. Kill or be killed. Then WE are no better than animals and we are in fact ANIMALS. So how can we punish a child molester and not punish a hawk for killing a rat? According to you all four are animals and subject to survival of the fittest. Do what you want, what you please - an animal is an animal.

    As a note, God did not make this world as we know it. This world is a result of the fall, which was brought by us (humans). So, I have no issue with God other than I can not believe that He still wants to save us.

    Lastly, morality comes from being a human being, not from God. If one were to live as the Bible suggests one would can justify everything from killing your children for talking back to outright genocide in God's name. Tell me how that is moral.
    With us being animals (read the above), WHAT morality could an animal possibly bring?! An animal knows nothing better than survive, kill or be killed, strong lives weak dies (right? I mean, you told me to take it up with God).... Look at the animal kingdom as we have now ... do you honestly think we could have a code higher than they when you believe we are them?!

    If we are an animal, and there was no moral code instilled into us from something or someone at a higher level than we - how can we have a developed sense of morality than say, a lion (who is operating under the SAME - something or someone did not instill within them a higher morality)?

    Don't you think that that in itself is a fairly large hole? Are we to take our wisdom and intellect and say, while we believe there is life on other planets, we also say that we are better than the rest of the animals? Where does reason come from? Where does right and wrong come from?

    However, are you applying your ANIMAL beliefs on God? Are you trying to, as an animal, question God? Are you saying that, as an ANIMAL, you know justice or morality better than God? Are you judging God for His righteousness, mercy, justice, wisdom based on your animal instincts? You have to be, according to you we are animals. No better than a dog.

    It still baffles me though, as an animal, where in the hell did we get our moral compass......

    -me
    ...There are hearts so hard in sin that nothing will work upon them to reduce and reclaim them...

Similar Threads

  1. Religious Email Scam
    By Administrator in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 12:19 AM
  2. A Real Religious SCAM !
    By Sharky in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 09:26 AM
  3. How to Recognize a Religious Scam
    By charulatha in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 05:36 PM
  4. What does the religious scam actually means????
    By charulatha in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 05:23 PM
  5. Counter religious extremism with religious compassion
    By Phinnly Slash Buster in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 05:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •