+ Reply to Thread

pterosaur landing strip discovered

i can't wait to see the response to this from the creationists who don't believe in flying dinosaurs :

Prehistoric 'Runway' Used by Flying Reptile

• A prehistoric runway for flying pterosaurs has been discovered for the first time.

Scientists uncovered the first known landing tracks of one of these extinct flying reptiles at a site dubbed "Pterosaur Beach," in the fine-grained limestone deposits of an ancient lagoon in southwestern France dating back some 140 million years ago to the Late Jurassic.

The footprints suggest the pterosaur - a "pterodactyloid" with a wingspan roughly three feet wide (one meter) - flapped to stall its flight during landing, and then planted both its two-inch-long feet (five cm) simultaneously at a high angle.

The reptile next dragged its toes briefly, took a short "stutter step" - perhaps a hop with both feet - and landed, settling its hands. It finally adjusted its posture and ambled off normally on all fours.

"No other trackways ascribed to pterosaurs in the world have shown either landings or takeoffs," said researcher Kevin Padian, a paleontologist at the University of California at Berkeley.

Pterosaurs, like birds, "were very light animals, and didn't tend to leave as many tracks when compared to, say, a 50-ton sauropod," the largest dinosaurs to ever stride the earth, explained paleontologist David Hone at the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology of China in Beijing, who did not participate in this study.

"If tracks from pterosaurs are going to get preserved, it's likely to be in the softest muds or finest sands, and it's unlikely even then, so to get traces of a pterosaur landing like this is very exciting," Hone noted. He added the case the researchers make for the way the pterosaurs landed "is very strong and convincing."

The fact this pterosaur had the capability to stall during flight implies sophisticated flapping control of the wings, Padian said. Future research will hopefully uncover tracks made during takeoff, shedding further light on how these extinct creatures once flew.

"There are hundreds of trackways in this big quarry," Padian said.

Re: pterosaur landing strip discovered

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Medium View Post
    i can't wait to see the response to this from the creationists who don't believe in flying dinosaurs :
    Oh, I'm pretty sure they believe in dinosaurs, they just think humans used them as pets.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't make fun. The last two pictures weren't the product of creationists, they're obviously jokes - the son of god didn't ride side saddle, and everyone knows T-rex was brown not green.

There will, probably, be an article (with pics) of the fossil tracks in National Geographic within the next year. I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

happy day fellas

every picture i've ever seen of jesus riding into jerusalem on the ass has him riding side saddle. one was probably the model for the dinosaur drawing.

is national geographic that quick on the uptake nowadays? this is a pretty fresh report.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Medium View Post
    happy day fellas

every picture i've ever seen of jesus riding into jerusalem on the ass has him riding side saddle. one was probably the model for the dinosaur drawing.

is national geographic that quick on the uptake nowadays? this is a pretty fresh report.
    They're reasonably quick... that's why I estimated within a year... to give them time to get it together.

I liked the one of Jesus riding the Sauropod side-saddle as well... either it's a juvenile or Jesus was 30 feet tall.

national geographic was always several years behind discoveries like this --- most likely because they have their layouts scheduled very far in advance and it takes some time to find room for something they hadn't been planning for.

i would expect whatever paleontology journal exists will publish within the next month, science, nature and scientific american to have it by the end of the year, so i don't suppose next spring is too early to watch for it in geographic.

how's this for a twist? i have always read the text in playboy more thoroughly than national geographic but i will cop to having marinated hundreds of more pages of playboy than national geographic (97% percent of all people --- male and female --- masturbate. the other 3% are liars :2gunsfiring_v1:ing1::judges: )

The feared prehistoric flying monkeys had landing strips of their own. The pterosaur soon became extinct as a result of the monkeys commandeering their landing strips. This is evident by fossilized banana remains strewn about the areas.