+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

study shows mercury in fish widespread

somebody correct me if i'm wrong here, please:

aren't wood pulping plants also a significant source of mercury pollution and if so, why do you think that was omitted from this article?

New gov't study shows mercury in fish widespread

AP This undated handout photo U.S. Geological Survey shows USGS scientists, Lia Chasar and Erica Rau, analyzing

By DINA CAPPIELLO, Associated Press Writer Dina Cappiello, Associated Press Writer Wed Aug 19, 7:40 pm ET
    WASHINGTON No fish can escape mercury pollution. That's the take-home message from a federal study of mercury contamination released Wednesday that tested fish from nearly 300 streams across the country.
    The toxic substance was found in every fish sampled, a finding that underscores how widespread mercury pollution has become.
    But while all fish had traces of contamination, only about a quarter had mercury levels exceeding what the Environmental Protection Agency says is safe for people eating average amounts of fish.
    The study by the U.S. Geological Survey is the most comprehensive look to date at mercury in the nation's streams. From 1998 to 2005, scientists collected and tested more than a thousand fish, including bass, trout and catfish, from 291 streams nationwide.
    "This science sends a clear message that our country must continue to confront pollution, restore our nation's waterways, and protect the public from potential health dangers," Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said in a statement.
    Mercury consumed by eating fish can damage the nervous system and cause learning disabilities in developing fetuses and young children. The main source of mercury to most of the streams tested, according to the researchers, is emissions from coal-fired power plants. The mercury released from smokestacks here and abroad rains down into waterways, where natural processes convert it into methylmercury a form that allows the toxin to wind its way up the food chain into fish.
    Some of the highest levels in fish were detected in the remote blackwater streams along the coasts of the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida and Louisiana, where bacteria in surrounding forests and wetlands help in the conversion. The second-highest concentration of mercury was detected in largemouth bass from the North Fork of the Edisto River near Fairview Crossroads, S.C.
    "Unfortunately, it's the case that almost any fish you test will have mercury now," said Andrew Rypel, a post-doctoral researcher at the University of Mississippi who has studied mercury contamination in fish throughout the Southeast. He said other research has shown mercury in fish from isolated areas of Alaska and Canada, and species that live in the deep ocean.
    Mercury was also found in high concentrations in western streams that drain areas mined for mercury and gold. The most contaminated sample came from smallmouth bass collected from the Carson River at Dayton, Nev., an area tainted with mercury from gold mining. At 58 other streams, mostly in the West, the acidic conditions created by mining could also be contributing to the mercury levels, the researchers said.
    "Some ecosystems are more sensitive than others," said Barbara Scudder, the lead USGS scientist on the study.
    All but two states Alaska and Wyoming have issued fish-consumption advisories because of mercury contamination. Some of the streams studied already had warnings.
    "This is showing that the problem is much more widespread," said Sonya Lunder, a senior analyst for the Environmental Working Group, which has pushed for stronger advisories on consumption of mercury-laden fish and controls on the sources of mercury pollution. "If you are living in an area that doesn't have a mercury advisory, you should use caution."
    Earlier this year, the Obama administration said it would begin crafting a new regulations to control mercury emissions from power plants after a federal appeals court threw out plans drafted by the Bush administration and favored by industry. The Bush rule would have allowed power plants to buy and sell pollution credits, instead of requiring each plant to install equipment to reduce mercury pollution.
    The EPA also has also proposed a new regulation to clamp down on emissions of mercury from cement plants.
    ___
    On the Net:
    U.S. Geological Survey: http://water.usgs.gov/nawqa/mercury/

Re: study shows mercury in fish widespread

could explain why everybody is "mad as a hatter"?

nah, unless we got mercury in pigs and cows, too.

joe six pack doesn't eat so much fish.

actually, just taking a shot in the dark, only a infinitesimal percentage of the fish eaten by americans is wild caught in our streams. most of what is consumed coming from the oceans or is farm-raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Medium View Post
    nah, unless we got mercury in pigs and cows, too.

joe six pack doesn't eat so much fish.

actually, just taking a shot in the dark, only a infinitesimal percentage of the fish eaten by americans is wild caught in our streams. most of what is consumed coming from the oceans or is farm-raised.
    So first you originate a post spreading fear due to widespread mercury in fish, and then you take it back as "a (sic) infinitesimal percentage".

Got it. It's much clearer now.

"I took the initiative in inventing the internet." - Al Gore
    "As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." - Newt Gingrich

Quote Originally Posted by BarackZero View Post
    So first you originate a post spreading fear due to widespread mercury in fish, and then you take it back as "a (sic) infinitesimal percentage".

You're blaming him for spreading fear?

He didn't write it, it's a freaking Associated Press article, and he had a technical question about it so posted it in the science forum. Strewth, you're really stretching for things to insult people about now.

But glad to see you got your usual jab at grammar in, as well as somehow linking an article about mercury in fish to Al Gore.

oh gosh! i missed an 'n' while i was typing and didn't catch it in proofreading. quick, call the grammar police!

i am familiar with the rules for parsing 'a' or 'an' , thank you.

now would you like to answer the question, have anything intelligent to add or am i just setting myself up for another ad hominem attack disguised as a super intelligent critique?

you are a redundant dunderhead who is also a simpering sycophant and frustrated megalomaniac who can't capture or keep an audience.

i love scam.com. i never get to meet such a diversity of fools in the real world.

I had "kippers" for breakfast.

Will I make it till suppertime---?
    www.scam.com
    The Raymond st Clair/Gary Martin Beaver Saga.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    You're blaming him for spreading fear?

He didn't write it, it's a freaking Associated Press article, and he had a technical question about it so posted it in the science forum. Strewth, you're really stretching for things to insult people about now.

But glad to see you got your usual jab at grammar in, as well as somehow linking an article about mercury in fish to Al Gore.

as someone who was there in the darpanet days but is not a computer geek, i never really paid that close attention to the legislation that took the network from the government and gave it to the public so the corporations could steal it from us and use it to better invade our lives.

i'm sure al gore was involved in some way or he surely never would have made a statement like that.

i've never seen anything but joking about it. does anybody have a more complete story?
    Last edited by Happy Medium; 08-20-2009 at 08:09 AM.

kippers are herring which is an oceanic fish. i haven't seen any reports of mercury pollution off the coast of chile where, according to the cans i open, they seem to be coming from.

even if they were mercury-tainted, it takes more than a few for breakfast to hurt you.

as i pointed out earlier, the danger seems to apply only to people who go out and catch their own in our streams and the lakes they feed.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong here, please:

aren't wood pulping plants also a significant source of mercury pollution and if so, why do you think that was omitted from this article?

Hypothetically speaking I'd have to say it may be due to poiltical pressures... but that's just my opinion.

I did a basic search on mercury in fish and the problem also effects farm raised fish (from their feed) as well as oceanic fish. PCBs in farm raised fish are also a growing concern... again from their feed.

The Japanese eat copious amounts of fish--every part of the critters. If I'm not mistaken, the Japanese also live longer than most folks on the planet. Fear mongering is alive and well in all sectors of human endeavor. We humans, as has been established, are horrible people. Shame on us for injecting those poor fish with mercury and forcing people to eat them and live longer.

oh gosh! i missed an 'n' while i was typing and didn't catch it in proofreading. quick, call the grammar police!
    1. Democrats first showed themselves/yourselves to be grammar police by guffawing for months over Vice President Dan Quayle's misspelling of "potatoe."

Obviously you Democrats and other haters of conservatives don't believe in turnabout. Quayle was "stupid" but when you do the same sort of thing, and anyone points out YOUR ignorance, well you start squealing and crying foul.

i am familiar with the rules for parsing 'a' or 'an' , thank you.
    2. And one could tell that.... how, exactly?

[/quote]
    now would you like to answer the question, have anything intelligent to add or am i just setting myself up for another ad hominem attack disguised as a super intelligent critique?[/quote]

3. The point of your thread was not so much a "question" as it was a STATEMENT, viz that "mercury in fish" is widespread. You then contradicted yourself, as I stated.

Pointing out how you contradict yourself is entirely appropriate. I didn't call you any names, I merely made irrefutable statements of fact. Your grammar was pathetic. Your claim of mercury fear-mongering was way off base. I eat fish regularly.

That trace quantities of any element or compound are found in something does not make it hazardous.

There are no hazardous chemicals, only hazards quantities.

Pure oxygen is deadly to humans. A woman in Oregon died from acute water toxicity. So who's going to tell us to avoid breathing oxygen and drinking water? You, perhaps.

you are a redundant dunderhead who is also a simpering sycophant and frustrated megalomaniac who can't capture or keep an audience.

i love scam.com. i never get to meet such a diversity of fools in the real world.
    Your remarks constitute the most malicious, most ignorant kind of ad hominem attack.

Like Kazza, and the blue crab teenybopper, you're a complete waste of time. Most people who post as often as you do are.
    "As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." - Newt Gingrich

1. Democrats first showed themselves/yourselves to be grammar police by guffawing for months over Vice President Dan Quayle's misspelling of "potatoe."

Obviously you Democrats and other haters of conservatives don't believe in turnabout. Quayle was "stupid" but when you do the same sort of thing, and anyone points out YOUR ignorance, well you start squealing and crying foul.
    God you just don't get it, do you? Not everyone that disagrees with you is a godless, baby eating, liberal, democrat. HappyMedium has already explained to you that he's not a democrat, but you fail to comprehend. Rentry told you that he's a Christian, but again you fail to comprehend that someone could be a Christian and still see through your bullshit. In fact, about the only thing everyone on this forum can agree upon is that you're a hopeless loser who's yet to make a single valid point out of dozens of threads and hundreds of posts.

I asked you once before to provide evidence that I've ever made fun of Quayle for misspelling potatoe, or made fun of Bush for the way that he pronounced nuclear. As always, you ignored me proving you wrong (again) and moved on to another stupid ad hom attack on another thread.

You think that because once upon a time some liberal made fun of Dan Quayle's spelling that gives you license to completely ignore every fact that has ever been presented to you in favour of focussing on people's spelling. You're a ing joke, and you use this one-time event to hide the fact that you've never had a valid response to any of the points people make in your threads besides pointing out spelling mistakes. It would not surprise me in the least if you have the same immature defence mechanism in real life too.

Meh, you were funny at first, but now I'm bored of you.

Quote Originally Posted by phlipper
    Shame on us for injecting those poor fish with mercury and forcing people to eat them and live longer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease
    Last edited by dr poormouth; 01-07-2010 at 08:14 PM.

haw! what are you doing if not squealing and crying foul.

2. And one could tell that.... how, exactly? huh? care to expand this empty thought into something?
    now would you like to answer the question, have anything intelligent to add or am i just setting myself up for another ad hominem attack disguised as a super intelligent critique?[/quote]

3. The point of your thread was not so much a "question" as it was a STATEMENT, viz that "mercury in fish" is widespread. You then contradicted yourself, as I stated. you really are a piece of work, dude. the point of this thread was to post an article and discuss it. i had a question about wood pulp plants being a source of mercury pollution (which nobody has answered) how in the can you say i've contradicted myself when i haven't made any statements to contradict anything except your obsession with whatever it is that makes you pull this lofty i'm brilliant and you are dolts shit in every one of your posts

Pointing out how you contradict yourself is entirely appropriate. I didn't call you any names, I merely made irrefutable statements of fact. Your grammar was pathetic. Your claim of mercury fear-mongering was way off base. I eat fish regularly. if anybody is fear-mongering it is you trying to make people fear anybody who doesn't agree with you. remember, i just posted the story. you are the ones doing the interpreting.

That trace quantities of any element or compound are found in something does not make it hazardous. yeah? go eat about 0.001 grams of plutonium and tell me how you feel an hour later.

There are no hazardous chemicals, only hazards quantities. that's why am i glad i'm only reading your typing and not listening to you speak in a closed room where i would have to breath your exhalations.

Pure oxygen is deadly to humans. A woman in Oregon died from acute water toxicity. So who's going to tell us to avoid breathing oxygen and drinking water? You, perhaps.

no please, continue to drink and breathe and show us what a waste of these precious resources are.

Your remarks constitute the most malicious, most ignorant kind of ad hominem attack. nah, i get much nastier and can match anybody's level of ignorance when they present a clear and present danger to my safety or the safety of my friends and family. you're only a danger to yourself.

you're so redundant and unimaginative it isn't even any fun shooting the ducks you call rebuttals or refutations.

Like Kazza, and the blue crab teenybopper, you're a complete waste of time. Most people who post as often as you do are.[/quote]
    so tell me, why have you wasted so much time telling me what you think of me? you have yet to post anything of any value as information. just a whole mess of opinions. do you need the opinions and assholes analogy or are you conversant in that one?

as a child, my family summered at our dairy farm. i have been caring for fish in tanks for 50 years. was employed in the ornamental fish industry through earning a B.S. in Marine Biology and spent two years at a lab bench at UTexas Health Science Center at Dallas in the ob-gyn Porter-MacDonald group. i've got thousands of hours at the helm of fishing craft and hundreds of hours of open-water dives logged.

what are your qualifications for trying to debunk the findings of a government study that i thought was interesting and haven't made many comments about anything but the the way you respond?
    Last edited by Happy Medium; 08-21-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    Hypothetically speaking I'd have to say it may be due to poiltical pressures... but that's just my opinion.

I did a basic search on mercury in fish and the problem also effects farm raised fish (from their feed) as well as oceanic fish. PCBs in farm raised fish are also a growing concern... again from their feed.
    are you just supposing that they are a mercury source and expounding on the most logical reason for it or do you know for sure.

it's just one of those things that seems to have landed in the 'why wood pulping is bad' file in my noodle and i don't remember the source.