+ Reply to Thread

College Book Racker

Hello. Good day to you people. I'm not to keen on scams that are out there on the internet. I rushed in head first into a company called College Book Racker. I'm not sure if the company is a legitimate organization or a bunch of low-level hooligans running wild. Now I have received numerous college text books already can somebody who has experience with the company or who knows what this is tell me if this is real or fake and in the case that it is fake what said criminal penalties and charges will be assessed against me? Thank you for your time.

-CJ-

Re: College Book Racker

There is one previous thread about this, where someone says that it is a scam.

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=115442

If you have *received* books, you are halfway into the scam. I would suggest that you just sit on the books, until you get info from whatever company shipped them to you.

If you have *shipped* books, then you are all the way into it. That would be bad.

In either case, contact the company that actually shipped the books to you. Try to straighten things out with them.

Good luck.

Untimely:
    Definitely a scam. Did you send any money as "filing fees" or "supplies fees" to this outfit?
    I'm trying to figure their angle; textbook sales is a specialized field, and used textbooks is not a tremendously remunerative business proposition.
    Can you post here some of the ISBN numbers- not just titles and editions- on the texts you have been sent, and are any of the books pre-wrapped, especially in shrink-wrap?

College Book Racker
    Good-day Cody Wick,

It's good to hear you are interested in the job and your timely response is highly recognized.This is just a confirmation that your application has been processed and approved.

Books delivery will start this week.You are to receive the books and have them kept in a safe place until you further instruction.We will pass instructions from our end including documents for shipping and others as you will not have to pay for a dime.

A company representative will give you a call.

Get in touch to confirm you receive the message and ready to start work immediately.

Sincerely,
    Rob Styles
    Hr Manager.
    112 Red Place,
    Mayfair London

W1K 6PL, United Kingdom.

This is one of the e-mails I received from the people who sent me the job offer. The have a webside it's called www.collegebookracker.com Some of the textbooks were new. I'm a little too cautious to open the rest of the books but I did open two amd they had the ISBN numbers 0-324-65742-0 and the other one I'm too afraid to open, and also the book was sent from the company www.textbooksnow.com any other help with what I should do would be appreciated.

Arthur Pughty called it, and I apologize for doubting - it is a stolen goods re-mailing scam.
    I still think profits would be slim, and the potential market small - but as a criminal niche, or startup...
    Start refusing delivery of these packets, if possible.
    How do the packages arrive, and are they to be sent on by the same carrier?
    -If by Royal Mail, call round to the local post office, and take their advice.
    -If by private carrier, call the police; private carriers will co-operate in fraud investigations in which they are third parties, but will not initiate such inquiries.

Get hold of any legal counsel you can afford; you're a victim in this scheme, you don't want to be made a scapegoat.
    Finally, Do Not attempt to deposit Any check or money order sent by these scammers: it will be counterfeit.
    Good luck, and please keep us posted.

WHOIS for www.collegebookracker.com
    (Created Jan. 09- despite website copyright of 2001 - classic red flag.)
    Registration Service Provided By: NameCheap.com
    Visit: http://www.namecheap.com/

Domain name: collegebookracker.com

Registrant Contact:
    ETC.
    Administrative Contact:
    Naijaservers Ltd
    Taiwo Aigoro ************@gmail.com)
    +234.8024243223
    Fax: +1.5555555555
    90 motor avenue
    los angeles, CA 90045
    US

Technical Contact:
    ETC.

Name Servers:
    ns1.naija-servers.net
    ns2.naija-servers.net

Creation date: 21 Jan 2009 17:57:35
    Expiration date: 21 Jan 2010 17:57:35

WHOIS for www.textbooksnow.com:
    (Looks to be a victim, not a partner)
    Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
    Textbooks Business
    textbooksnow@gmail.com
    55 East Monroe
    Suite 4200
    Chicago, IL 60603
    US
    Phone: 312-346-8000

Record expires on 30-Aug-2011
    Record created on 31-Aug-1998
    Database last updated on 02-Jul-2009

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

NS91.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.46
    NS92.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.144.46

Show underlying registry data for this record

Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
    IP Address: 64.37.224.79 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
    IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-ILLINOIS-OAK BROOK
    Record Type: Domain Name
    Server Type: Other
    Lock Status: clientTransferProhibited
    WebSite Status: Active
    DMOZ no listings
    Y! Directory: see listings
    WebSite Title: Buy Textbooks, Sell Textbooks, Used Textbooks
    Meta Description: Buy Text Books : Browse our huge selection of used textbooks. Make textbooksNow.com your first destination when you buy textbooks, sell textbooks, or search for used books.
    Meta Keywords: buy textbooks, sell textbooks, used textbooks
    Secure: Yes
    Ecommerce: Yes
    Traffic Ranking: 4
    Data as of: 22-Apr-2008

Hello, I unknowingly got sucked into this scam and they already sent me the books. This is the email that I told them once I didn't want to do the job anymore.

"We have confirmed 8 books being mailed to you last couple of days. They should arrive anytime from today. We are not compelling you to take up this position and you are entitled to your own opinion about the legitimacy of this company. You accepted to the terms. However, each of the books cost about $250 including shipping. If we however, loose any of them, you will be liable to pay their accumulated value which is about $2000. We will accrue all our shipping bills to your name and SSN and you will be receiving the payment bills from Federal Express in a couple of days or weeks. We hope that you understand this situation. We cannot afford to loose any of the books."

I'm scared because I have no idea what they're going to do since obviously they have my address. I'm going to call the book company once they open up and/or when I get the rest of the books.

I want to get out of it asap and please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

I have never heard about them before. I will be checking more about it and update my post here.