+ Reply to Thread

Brother getting scammed through online romance.

As the title says, I'm pretty sure my brother is getting scammed. I will provide the details as I know them, but they are scarce.

My younger brother is a pretty lonely guy, always seems to feel the need to be in a relationship. His last girlfriend cheated on him, he was pretty brokenhearted about it.

My mom and dad pay his cell phone and noticed on the bill that there were charges for international text messages. One day while he was at our house sleeping, she checked his phone and there were international texts about someone needing a passport. That raised some red flags right there. What is he up to?

Yesterday I'm over at his house and I hop onto his computer. Instant messenger was open and he had a message saying, "Hello, honey!" from some girl who is supposedly from Minnesota. His browser was also open to his email. At this point I'm nervous, so I go to his sent emails, and I find numerous messages that he's sent to this girl about how much he loves her and how he can't wait until they are together. He's lovelorn. More red flags.

The email that sealed the case, in my mind, had details of the two thousand dollars that he sent to Europe. The name didn't even match the name of the girl who he had been emailing. I couldn't even pronounce the name, let alone remember it.

I feel like a jerk for going through his email, but my parents and I have noticed that he's been acting strange. I know he's an adult, but how can we let this go on?

If he's really in love with this "girl", it might destroy him. I'm really, really scared for him right now. I'm worried about his mental state and what he does when he finds out that his true love is not who it seems to be.

I'm sorry for the long post and the lack of specifics. I think we are going to get him at my parents house and confront him about it, because we don't want him doing anything stupid. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this? :1crysad:

Re: Brother getting scammed through online romance

yes, he got scammed but i can't tell you how to break it to him.

the she is a he, and will continue to ask for money until there isn't any more. sorry.
    Last edited by mumbles; 08-14-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    es, he got scammed but i can't tell you how to break it to him.

the she is a he, and will continue to ask for money until there isn't any more. sorry.
    Thanks for the reply. I really just needed to vent about this, you know?

I can't believe he is this naive about the internet!

I did a google search for: online romance scam

That gives tons of results, including a very large forum all about it:
    http://www.romancescam.com/forum/portal.php

Also this page has a lot of info:
    http://www.datingnmore.com/blacklist.php

It's an unfortunate situation, good luck, I hope you can straighten things out.

I agree with Arthur_Pughty, stop over at those sites. There is also a site in my siggy line. Good luck and keep posting and investigating.

Just be very carefull with the confrontation, victims of romance scams want to believe they have found 'the one' and sometimes do not want to admit they were scammed.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur_Pughty View Post
    I did a google search for: online romance scam

That gives tons of results, including a very large forum all about it:
    http://www.romancescam.com/forum/portal.php

Also this page has a lot of info:
    http://www.datingnmore.com/blacklist.php

It's an unfortunate situation, good luck, I hope you can straighten things out.
    Thank you for those links, I combed through the pictures of scammers on there and searched for the name, but couldn't find "her".

Quote Originally Posted by Meri Widow View Post
    I agree with Arthur_Pughty, stop over at those sites. There is also a site in my siggy line. Good luck and keep posting and investigating.

Just be very carefull with the confrontation, victims of romance scams want to believe they have found 'the one' and sometimes do not want to admit they were scammed.
    I just chatted with him on the internet. I eased into the subject and he told me about this person, who is from Europe. He says they are "just chatting" and he hasn't sent her any money (a lie). I told him he had to watch out for scammers on those dating sites. I didn't really want to get into it with him over the internet and get him all riled up, because I really think he's in love. So, I just tried to warn him the best that I could, and hope that I can get him face-to-face to really get the truth out of him.

Scammers change their names frequently so it is not surprising that you can't find any 'hits'. If you can get a photo of 'her', you can upload it to tineye dot com, it is a site used to match photos already on the net. I have not used it personally but others have matched photos of an email penpal there and it saved them a ton of heartache. Good luck.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com