+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Carl Sagan's Ignorance, Left-wing Extremism

Cosmos
    by the late, dead Carl Sagan, godless liberal

“Intellectual capacity is no guarantee against being dead wrong.” - page 20

Why then are liberals always committing the fallacy of the argument from authority, and claiming to be intellectually superior and therefore, always right?

“Astronomical spectroscopy is an almost magical technique. It amazes me still.” - page 93

As Dawkins says repeatedly in one of his biased, ignorant books, "Speak for yourself!"

Godless liberals, like Carl Sagan, seem to think that matter, and energy, and organization, and the panoply of vast interconnectedness all came together out of nothing. Has there ever been a library or a laboratory that built and furnished themselves? And libraries and laboratories are profoundly simpler to construct than a universe. Man has built libraries and laboratories by the thousands, but never a universe.

"Mars was a place." - page 121

For $256,000,000, you get wisdom such as this: "Mars was a place."

“There are limits to what we can do.” - page 124

NOOOO, "limits"? But I thought we, like evolution, HAD no "limits." On page 29 of Pale Blue Dot, Sagan declares "we will spread throughout the Milky Way."

This is laughable in its ignorance.

“What shall we do with Mars? If there is life on Mars, it belongs to the Martians.” - page 130

Yep, life on Mars belongs to the Martians. Sagan said it, so it must be "science."

"We are ready at last to set sail for the stars.” - page 193

Um hmmmm, "ready to set sail for the stars." Four light years away is the closest star, which at 25,000 miles an hour......

1. Can't carry enough food and oxygen to make it there.

2. Can't live nearly long enough to make it there.
    3. Don't have a space ship powerful enough.
    4. Any liberal volunteers? Lots, I hope.

“Nothing in physics prevents you from traveling as close to the speed of light as you like.” - page 200

"We can be fooled" and "there are limits to what we can do" but light speed, well that's so almost attainable.....

"Today we have preliminary designs for ships to take people to the stars. (Project) Orion was designed to utilize explosions of hydrogen bombs against an internal plate . . .” - page 203

(Made of what? YOU get inside and set off the H bomb.)

“When we get home (after 30,000 Earth years), few of our friends would be left to greet us.” - page 207

(A little astronomer “humor”, folks.)

“If we must worship a power greater than ourselves, does it not make sense to revere the Sun and stars?” - page 243

Good old Carl, no problem worshiping the sun and the stars, but God - never.

“The systematic murder of such intelligent creatures (as whales) is monstrous.” - page 273

But butchering innocent, unborn babies? Not a problem for the godless left. Save the whales, kill babies.
    And vote Obama-Clinton.

“The information in the nucleus of our cells would fill a thousand volumes.” - page 276

"Evidence of much poor planning." - Pale Blue Dot, by Carl Sagan, page 57

“The information content of the human brain would fill some twenty million volumes.” - page 278

Evidence of much poor planning." - Pale Blue Dot, by Carl Sagan, page 57

“The mindless contents of commercial television . . .” - page 286

Carl Sagan appeared on commercial television many, many times.

“We must be the most backward technical society in the Galaxy.” - page 307

His evidence for such an outlandish statement is... what, exactly?

“If the message [from another civilization in space] contains valuable information, the consequences will be stunning.” - page 311

Let's see, if it's valuable, then it will be valuable. Profound.

“Neuropsychologist James W Prescott found that . . . where infants are physically punished, there tends to be slavery, frequent killing, torturing and mutilation of enemies, a devotion to inferiority of women, and a belief in one or more supernatural beings who intervene in daily life.” - page 331

Liberals support and promote abortion, including of course partial birth abortion, where no anesthetic is given to a baby that could easily survive outside the womb. Its head is speared with scissors, and the gaping hole opened wide. Then a steel cannula is inserted and the baby's brains are sucked out. How's that sound for torture?

“Sex was invented.” - page 338

Brilliant, no?
    "Sex was invented"....

Re: Carl Sagan's Ignorance, Left-wing Extremism

OMG! Carl Sagan is intelligent and has an edumacation! He understands physics and astrobiology and evolution! He must be a godless liberal that supports abortion and Obama (despite being dead for 10 years before Obama began his white house campaign)!

Down with reason!

Down with science!

Superstition reigns supreme!

Quote mining reigns supreme!

Let us sacrifice some goats to the one and only true god!

Thank you for bringing Carl Sagan back into view for myself and possibly others who may have let his works slip from memory.

For any who require a little info on Carl Sagan:
    Carl Edward Sagan, Ph.D. (November 9, 1934 – December 20, 1996) was an American astronomer, astrochemist, author, and highly successful popularizer of astronomy, astrophysics and other natural sciences. He pioneered exobiology and promoted the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI).

He is world-famous for writing popular science books and for co-writing and presenting the award-winning 1980 television series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, which has been seen by more than 600 million people in over 60 countries, making it the most widely watched PBS program in history. A book to accompany the program was also published. He also wrote the novel Contact, the basis for the 1997 Robert Zemeckis film of the same name starring Jodie Foster. During his lifetime, Sagan published more than 600 scientific papers and popular articles and was author, co-author, or editor of more than 20 books. In his works, he frequently advocated skeptical inquiry, secular humanism, and the scientific method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan
    and now for your contributions to the advancement of the natural sciences...

I think Contact is the best sci-fi movie ever, it's certainly my favourite. Absolutely brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    I think Contact is the best sci-fi movie ever, it's certainly my favourite. Absolutely brilliant.
    I've seen parts of it. What was interesting was, at the end of the film, it promoted the view that it is up to each individual to make up their own mind.

I don't know why, but I always thought he co-wrote the novel... oh well :)

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Quote mining Carl Sagan only goes to make you look dishonest or disingenuous at best. The comments you posted fit perfectly well when you show them in the context in which they were made.

Just a couple, because this is too easy;

Regarding, "Mars was a place."

I remember being transfixed by the first lander image to show the horizon of Mars. This was not an alien world, I thought. I knew places like it in Colorado and Arizona and Nevada. There were rocks and sand drifts and a distant eminence, as natural and unselfconscious as any landscape on Earth. Mars was a place. I would, of course, have been surprised to see a grizzled prospector emerge from behind a dune leading his mule, but at the same time the idea seemed appropriate. Nothing remotely lit it ever entered my mind in all the hours I spent examining the Venera 9 and 10 images of the Venus surface. One war or another, I knew this was a world to which we would return.
    Regarding, "Sex was invented."

Single-celled plants evolved, and life began to generate its own food. Photosynthesis transformed the atmosphere. Sex was invented. Once free-living forms banded together to make a complex cell with specialized funtions....
    In context of his real statements, both make perfect sense. Again, you can't dispute ANYTHING he says, so you takes statements and comments out of context to make him look like a buffoon. You need to look into a mirror, you will find your buffoon.

*any typo's are mine as I was copying from my books.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    Thank you for bringing Carl Sagan back into view for myself [SIC] and possibly others who may have let his works slip from memory.

For any who require a little info on Carl Sagan:

and now for your contributions to the advancement of the natural sciences...
    You're obviously confused, PaulM.
    You see, when one writes a book, or books, those books are subject to scrutiny and commentary. They aren't the Gospel, at least to thinking people.
    You godless leftists may accept them without thinking or blinking, but reasonable people do not.

Now when it comes to dishing out criticism, godless leftists are without peer. George Bush, the leftists proclaimed for eight long years, "stole the election," and was a "fascist" and a "Nazi" and a "dry drunk." He will always be as "stupid" as Dan Quayle, and Ronald Reagan and every other "neocon."

But let someone criticize one of your fellow lefties, and you get your panties in a bunch. Tough, PaulM.

See, I'm not the subject of the thread. Carl Sagan and his ignorance is the subject. Stick to that subject, will you? Quit trying to change it. You leftist wackos are expert at changing any subject that is not to your personal liking.

One does not "advance" the natural sciences with bullshit such as "sex was invented" and "save the whales but kill innocent unborn babies."

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post

Regarding, "Mars was a place."
    Yes indeed, Mars was a place. Deep.
    Very, very deep. I changed the "context" how, precisely?
    You didn't say, because I didn't take anything out of context.

You're a liar. Stop the lying.

Regarding, "Sex was invented."

*any typo's [SIC] are mine as I was copying from my books.
    "Sex was invented" was also taken from Sagan's ignorant remarks. Nor was that taken out of context. You can't say anything without screwing it up.
    You don't even know the difference between plural and a contraction.

Inventions have inventors.
    Try to think before you blather next time.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

You are one pathetic, dishonest individual. What you are doing is called "Quote Mining"

Quote mining is use of the fallacy of quoting out of context, repeatedly employing misquotation in an attempt to skew or contort the meaning and purpose of the original author regarding a controversial topic. The quote miner's purpose can be to make the author or speaker look incompetent or mistaken or to use an author or speaker's own words to undermine their argument.
    Rather than posting Sagan's sentences in full context of the paragraph, you posted them as you did, in an attempt to make Sagan look foolish.

"Mars was a place." - page 121

For $256,000,000, you get wisdom such as this: "Mars was a place."
    And now you deny this was your intention. You are a very dishonest individual.

"Sex was invented"....In light of the fact that it had never occurred before, how else would have it been stated??? The first organism to reproduce through sexual means would have 'invented" sex.

Again, a disingenuous and dishonest attempt at picking knits to make the author sound foolish.

Stay in Bible school where, I'm sure you are quite the Scholar. After all, to graduate with High Honors all you have to say is, "God did it!".
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by BarackZero View Post
    You're obviously confused, PaulM.
    You see, when one writes a book, or books, those books are subject to scrutiny and commentary. They aren't the Gospel, at least to thinking people.
    No confusion here... and where did I say his works were the gospel? You actually call your rant scrutiny?
    You godless leftists may accept them without thinking or blinking, but reasonable people do not.

Now when it comes to dishing out criticism, godless leftists are without peer. George Bush, the leftists proclaimed for eight long years, "stole the election," and was a "fascist" and a "Nazi" and a "dry drunk." He will always be as "stupid" as Dan Quayle, and Ronald Reagan and every other "neocon."

But let someone criticize one of your fellow lefties, and you get your panties in a bunch. Tough, PaulM.
    Was there something I said, other than ask for your contribution to the natural sciences, that makes you think I'm some "leftie"? Ahhh... we have another believer in straight-line partisan politics in our midst.
    See, I'm not the subject of the thread. Carl Sagan and his ignorance is the subject. Stick to that subject, will you? Quit trying to change it. You leftist wackos are expert at changing any subject that is not to your personal liking.
    The subject is your criticism of Sagan's work. I have no problem with you criticising his work... just do it properly. Why don't you dismantle his work on astronomical spectroscopy rather than take one sentence on it and simply say "Speak for Yourself". Not exactly a "thinking man's" critique now is it?
    Is everyone that disagrees with you automatically labeled a "leftist wacko"? It must be sad to have that kind of mind-set.

One does not "advance" the natural sciences with bullshit such as "sex was invented" and "save the whales but kill innocent unborn babies."
    Nor does one by taking statements out of their original context or comparing apples to oranges (whales to unborn babies) simply because it fits their agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    No confusion here... and where did I say his works were the gospel? You actually call your rant scrutiny?
    You made a feeble attempt to defend Sagan by attacking me, by challenging my contributions. Your attempt is pathetic and anti-intellectual.

Sagan's words are the subject. Stick to the subject instead of trying to change it.

The subject is your criticism of Sagan's work. I have no problem with you criticising his work... just do it properly.
    Yes you do. Stop lying.

Lying is the hallmark of the godless left.

Why don't you dismantle his work on astronomical spectroscopy rather than take one sentence on it and simply say "Speak for Yourself".
    Sagan did not present any "work" on astronomical spectroscopy. Pay attention. You haven't even read Cosmos. IF you had, you'd know that your feeble response is another attempt to change the subject.

Moreover, I used the nonsense from Dawkins' work, which I cited earlier, to counter the nonsense of Sagan. You can't handle that double entendre.

Nor does one by taking statements out of their original context or comparing apples to oranges (whales to unborn babies) simply because it fits their agenda.
    Sagan found killing whales "monstrous." His word, not mine. His defense of whales, not mine. Sagan was a godless leftist, and of course he supported abortion of human babies. All in context. Murder whales >>> "monstrous".

Murder human babies>>> "choice" in liberal parlance.

Did you flunk out of college like Al Gore did? It would appear so.

Please provide evidence that Sagan supported abortion.

Or do you just assume that everyone that doesn't believe in god is pro-choice? That's very dishonest of you. There are many atheists that are pro-life.

You made a feeble attempt to defend Sagan by attacking me, by challenging my contributions. Your attempt is pathetic and anti-intellectual.
    Sure it was... yet you felt the need to respond to it. Are we feeling defensive?
    Sagan's words are the subject. Stick to the subject instead of trying to change it.
    The subject is Sagan. You offered a lame critique of him... I critiqued you. It might have been lame, but then again who really cares.
    Yes you do. Stop lying.

Lying is the hallmark of the godless left.

Sagan did not present any "work" on astronomical spectroscopy. Pay attention. You haven't even read Cosmos. IF you had, you'd know that your feeble response is another attempt to change the subject.

Moreover, I used the nonsense from Dawkins' work, which I cited earlier, to counter the nonsense of Sagan. You can't handle that double entendre.
    You can't seem to handle someone citing something as an example. You appear to be a very literal person... when it suits you. Otherwise you make vague statements in an effort to support a political rather than a scientific position... leaving yourself space to duck and weave. You demonstrated this quite nicely in your initial post. You started with a few statements on Sagan and concluded with a generalized political statement condemning liberals.
    You're actually very entertaining...

Sagan found killing whales "monstrous." His word, not mine. His defense of whales, not mine. Sagan was a godless leftist, and of course he supported abortion of human babies. All in context. Murder whales >>> "monstrous".

Murder human babies>>> "choice" in liberal parlance.

Did you flunk out of college like Al Gore did? It would appear so.
    There you go... comparing Sagan's statement to your generalized view of anyone who disagrees with you.
    Now it's time for you to cite your source... Please publish Sagan's quote supporting abortion.

=====================
    Could this be moved to the Political Forum where it belongs.

Hey, BackToZero...

Gore graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in government cum laude on June 12, 1969.

Seems like you can't get anything correct. I'd check my shoes if I were you.
    Last edited by LogicallyYours; 04-09-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    Hey, BackToZero...

Seems like you can't get anything correct. I'd check my shoes if I were you.

Who are you talking to??

LOL....Misfire...I was adding BackToZero' quote and then pointing out he was wrong.....AGAIN.