+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Reliv, harmless MLM....or?

Hello scambusters. My father recently invested in "Reliv International," convinced that its the start of financial independence. He still has a good job and plans on keeping it, but happens to have the time to invest into Reliv at the moment and "get started." I haven't found to much info on your site or anywhere else that talks about Reliv being a scam. From the reading I did on their site and elsewhere it seems harmless as long as someone doesn't invest everything they have thinking they'll get rich. ANyone have any experiences with this they'd like to share, and some advice in talking to my father in case he starts going off the deep-end?
    Thanks
    Kilgore

Re: Reliv, harmless MLM....or?

Well here I am responding to my own forum, but after much searching, i can't find too much dirt on the company. I guess the fact that it's a self-proclaimed MLM makes me worried. On the other hand, they get a great report from the Better Business Bureau..
    ww.bbb.org (search for reliv international)

I know some people who swear by it, saying it helped them improve their health (with their super vitamin drinks), but others that had problems with retaining fluid (such as in the lungs). However, like anything else, there are people that swear by it.

It is a health product based MLM, but the one distributor that I know was able to make some extra money, to both pay for all of the product their family used and a little extra...

As an MLM, it is probably quite a bit more like Amway than like Melaleuca, in that you do make money by actually selling and distributing the products yourself, usually using their suggested markup from what you by it for...

I don't think its a scam, but its probably a really good thing Dear Ol' Dad hasn't quit his job yet!!

Super Vitamin Drinks. feh.

And what's wrong with a yummy Flintstones Chewable?

Their product is just another fortified soy protein drink, available at any
    grocery store, from dozens- nay, hundreds- of different manufacturers.
    As for their Arthaffect drink, See http://www.mlmwatch.org/05FDA/relivfda1.html
    for the FDA's opinion.
    "If you sell it, they will buy..."
    kilgore, the doctor is not going to advise you on the suitability of this business venture (I consider all MLM's to be mis-applied effort; I'm just tired of arguing the subject.). I am going to tell you that the product in question, because of the inflated health claims attached to it, is powdered snake oil.
    Whatever your decision, I say Good Luck, Bon Chance, and to all I say,
    ... eat your broccoli.

Well thanks for the help, friends! That's kinda what I thought. The product itself is harmless at worst (minus lung fluid, ew), and maybe actually nutritious at best. But yeah, its an MLM, wasted effort is right! But who knows, maybe he'll be one of the few that make a little extra cash. I'm also in a field that has a very small percentage of people who "make it", so I have a hard time telling him not to try!

Just ask him if he has to buy a set amount each month (the classic Autoship) because if he does he will end up giving the stuff away.

I had a good friend who sells reliv, and my experiace with it has cost me a friend. Part of the job with reliv is to sign up distributers.
    My so-called friend invited me to some meetings and tried to get me to sign up.
    I would always tell him I didnt have the money. Every night him and his wife would call and pressure me and my wife, arguing with us about it. Then they started having their upline call as well.I finally told them that if being a part of reliv meant turning my friends and family into nothing more than dollar signs, I wouldnt do it.
    Me and my wife got tired of them pressuring us and finally stopped taking the calls and seeing them. It went on for over a year, that was to long.

Quote Originally Posted by gools68
    I had a good friend who sells reliv, and my experiace with it has cost me a friend. Part of the job with reliv is to sign up distributers.
    My so-called friend invited me to some meetings and tried to get me to sign up.
    I would always tell him I didnt have the money. Every night him and his wife would call and pressure me and my wife, arguing with us about it. Then they started having their upline call as well.I finally told them that if being a part of reliv meant turning my friends and family into nothing more than dollar signs, I wouldnt do it.
    Me and my wife got tired of them pressuring us and finally stopped taking the calls and seeing them. It went on for over a year, that was to long.
    In defense of the industry (rare for me!), most people in the industry -- at least the intelligent ones -- would never act that way.

Quote Originally Posted by openQuestion
    In defense of the industry (rare for me!), most people in the industry -- at least the intelligent ones -- would never act that way.
    Hehehe...I agree. This IS rare for you, open. ;) LOL But gools68, OpenQuestion will tell it like it is...good or bad. And I agree...pressuring someone is the worst thing a person can do, and is very unprofessional. Touching base occasionally is one thing, but constant badgering is another. You must be a very patient person...I couldn't have put up with it for a year. If it was on a daily basis, about a week of it would be more than enough to do me in. I'd be checking my caller id before answering the phone!

My enroller contacted me at least 3 or 4 times before I decided to get involved with the company I'm with, but each time I spoke to him was about a month or so apart, and he never pressured me, but gave me a little more info each time. After about the third time, and after doing my own investigation, I became more interested, and actually became worried when I didn't hear from him for a while. In my case, what he did was give a little more info each time, and allowed me to do my own investigation, and then created a "fear of loss" in me by not calling back for a while. By the time he did call back, I was ready to give it a try! LOL There are ways to turn a negative into a positive, and this guy was very good at it.

It's too bad your friends were too aggressive. Just keep in mind that what one rep does is not necessarily representative of the company. There are reps like that with all companies in this industry, including the one I'm with. :)
    All truth passes through three stages. First it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third it is accepted as being self-evident. --Schopenhauer.

Reliv has good products and is ethical. I tried some of their stuff a while back and liked it, but it is pricey and takes a lot of people to make a lot of money. I have more recently bought the products cheaper off eBay.

Im researching Reliv myself too, came across a site you will want to check out before investing or letting your loved one invest - go to www.KnowTheFactsFirst.com - Ive emailed the link to my potential "sponsors" in Reliv and am still awaiting a response. Maybe Reliv is not really a scam or pyramid scheme but I'm sure now that there is more to this Reliv deal than they told me at the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by StanBass
    Reliv has good products and is ethical. I tried some of their stuff a while back and liked it, but it is pricey and takes a lot of people to make a lot of money. I have more recently bought the products cheaper off eBay.
    So is this Soy-based?
    How are the nutrients retained if its in powdered form? Or is it dry-freezed?

How much per 'can,' can I temporarily stop autoship, and will by 70+ mother like the taste?

Quote Originally Posted by texassinger
    Im researching Reliv myself too, came across a site you will want to check out before investing or letting your loved one invest - go to www.KnowTheFactsFirst.com - Ive emailed the link to my potential "sponsors" in Reliv and am still awaiting a response. Maybe Reliv is not really a scam or pyramid scheme but I'm sure now that there is more to this Reliv deal than they told me at the meeting.
    Hi Tex,
    Go ahead, what is the 'alternative' company that beats the pants off of Relieve? I ask sincerely.

I've used the product, bought into the hype, tried to make a goal of it, but the more I learned about the structure of the company and all the perks for the folks at the top, it is easy to figure out why the product is so expensive. As for results: 3 months into it I was not getting benefits. I advise anyone interested in purchasing or getting involved to gather information and analyze carefully. Here is a good site to examine as well:

http://www.mlm-thetruth.com/MLMconsumerguides.htm

I'm a Reliv Distributor and have been for 4 1/2 years, earning about $1,500 to $2,000 per month. Reliv is a well-established company with an excellent reputation. They are members of the DSA (Direct Selling Association), they are publicky traded on the NASDAQ and carry a product and business guarantee. This is a serious business, not a "get-rich-quick" plan. You have to work at it. The products and business have worked well for me and my family.

Columbus, Ohio...hoping for somewhere without Winters in the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Hi Tex,
    Go ahead, what is the 'alternative' company that beats the pants off of Relieve? I ask sincerely.

Herbalife isn't that bad, and is the same concept.

Airborne is too (not the preventive tablets, the actual suppliment company)

Both are based off the same models for the most part.