+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: car scammers

car scammers

Hi...I am from Canada...and I have been selling my car for sometime. I received this email and convsersed with them on three occasions. Being a paranoid pessimist like I am, I thought it was highly dubious (I recently avoided a scam with a girl in the Ukraine...you know what I mean ;) ).

Here are the emails in question. Seeing the amazing similarity with some of your emails, its feels obvious...although the situation of subtracting funds has not occured yet...

Dear sir,
    I am Lawson an American base in United Arab Emirate Dubai .I will like to
    inform you that my client is highly interested in buying this car from
    you.Kindly let me have the following details so that my client will forward
    the payment to your acount as soon as possible.
    - Present condition of the car.
    - Asking price.
    - Pictures of the car.
    - Contact telephone number.
    My client will be making payment through check
    As soon as i received this I will forward the information to my client so
    that he will arrange with his accountant for your payment.My client will
    informed his shipper to come forward to inspect the car and he will be doing
    the shipping.
    I will also prefer to receive your calls on this transaction.
    I will be expecting to hear from you.
    Regards,
    Lawson
    END OF EMAIL

Now I was obviously suspicious...But I thought...hey...email him back anyway...

Dear Chris,
    Thank you for your response.I will like to inform you that i forwarded your email to my client who is interested said he is ok with the asking price and the condition as well.So he said he will be making the payment through Bank transfer direct to your account so i will indulge with you to please get back to me with your bank name and address,account name and account number,Routing number from your bank and your contact telephone number to call you when the transfer is been done.
    I will also indulge with you to please make sure the vehicle is in great condition so the shipping company will come forward for the arrangement of paper and please scan to me the picture of the vehicle.
    I will be expecting to have your response,thanks for your anticipation looking forward to do more business with you in future.
    Regards,
    Lawson Bedforth
    END OF EMAIL.

Okay....so I thought there may be a security leak in my bank that may expose information or have someone drain my account. My bank's good...they can't do that. HOWEVER...upon reading these posts, I never thought they would over pay, asking for a refund. They haven't yet...I did say I was going with another bank account...that didn't phase him...

Chris
    Ok....Get back with the full information for me relay to my client. Regards

END OF EMAIL

The subject of money has not arisen...but I think its safe to say this is a carbon copy scam like the ones mentioned. Do the experts agree?

Re: Lawson Bedforth. Scammer?

I didn't read the whole post. I don't need to. Used cars are available in the UAE. Don't do it.

This only makes sense if you are selling something like a Lamborghini.

Do this: Pretend the internet didn't exist. Would you then be suspicious of this? Of course you would. Sell the car locally.

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    I didn't read the whole post. I don't need to. Used cars are available in the UAE. Don't do it.

This only makes sense if you are selling something like a Lamborghini.

Do this: Pretend the internet didn't exist. Would you then be suspicious of this? Of course you would. Sell the car locally.
    I'm waiting to see the 'Brooklyn Bridge' on E-BAY. The way things are going this should happen anyday now!!! LOL
    PSB

*I* own the Brooklyn Bridge and I ain't selling!

he said he will be making the payment through Bank transfer direct to your account so i will indulge with you to please get back to me with your bank name and address,account name and account number,Routing number from your bank and your contact telephone number to call you when the transfer is been done.
    That right there should tell you something. Some guy all the way from the United Arab Emirates wants your bank account name, account number, and routing number and is working with a "client" to purchase a used car? Doesn't sound right at all.

Another Cross Atlantic Shippers Scam

This is the series of emails from the scam artist, very poor one too. Needless to say the deal did not go through, and the deal cost him a FedEx letter shipment to be trumed over the the authorities.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 11:00 PM
    To: Zar
    Subject: PROVIDE PICTURES

Hello,

Thanks for your mail, and your asking price of $3,200 could be a fair one but i am not in the position to decide instead my client addition to this, i will need the current pictures of the engine so i can forward it to my client both with your asking price for him to confirm that your car is the exact one he wants of a spec like and finally consider your price based on the pictures provided.

I will be expecting your soonest reply with pictures attached friday afternoon.

Best Regards,

Pelland.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 3:24 PM
    Subject: PICTURES/PRICE FORWARDED

Thanks for the pictures provided, they really looks very nice,i will immiadiately forward the pictures and your asking price of $3,200 to my client for him to confirm that your car is the exact one he wants of a spec like and then consider your price based on the pictures provided.

I will get back to you as soon as i get his response.

Regards,

Pelland.

Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2005 4:37 PM
    Subject: UPDATE

Hello,

I just want to inform you that I have not been able to reach my client after I forwarded my recommendations to him.I tried to reach him on phone but failed,instead has his wife who told me that he's out of town for a social function and is expected to be back Monday noon.Please bear with me.
    I'll get back to you with his response as soon as he's back.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
    Rex.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 7:18 PM
    Subject: PROVIDE YOUR INFORMATION FOR PAYMENT

Zar,

My Client contacted me today indicating his interest to buy your car and from our conversation a deal has been made between me and my client on your car.He has agreed to settle for a price of $3,200 and has instructed us to go on with the transaction. Payment will get to you in a cashier check of $5,200 which is a refund payment of a canceled order earlier made by my client.

Due to company policy which only allows a refund payment on one cashier check,this check has to be made to you in this whole amount. So you are required to deduct the cost of your car ($3,200) when payment gets to you and refund balance of $2,000 to my customer for him to offset shipping and tax charges.

After payment has reached you and balance sent to him, our agent will come for the pick-up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via fedex courier to my customer.
    Please provide Name,Address and Phone Number for check payment to be delivered to you asap.

Thank you,

Rex.

Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 6:06 PM

Zar,

You are right,the cost of the delivery of the car will be handled by my client and just be rest assured that before next week runs out we will seal the deal i will send you the name and address of my client and his agent,who you will send the refund to as soon as you get your payment.

I will send you a confirmation email as soon as your payment is ready for dispatch to you.

Regards,

Rex.

Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 3:03 PM
    Subject: CONFIRMATION

Zar,

I have just spoken to my client as regards your payment and he explained to me that there will be a little delay of about one or two days because this is a refund payment which he is expecting from a company,so it has to go through their usual official documentations and approvals before the refund is issued out to him.

Please you have to bear with us,you should understand that this is financial matters,it has to go through the right process, although he has just confirmed that your payment will get to you before next week runs out and we will keep you posted with courier information.

I advice that you remove your ad from the internet to avoid any further complications, since your payment has already been confirmed.

I expect you to keep me informed when you received the check payment,so that I will forward the name and address of who you are sending the difference on the check to.

Please get back to me via email once you received this mail to confirm that you got my mail and also agree on sending the difference on the check payment once you received the check payment.

Please reconfirm your interest in this transaction.Am waiting for your reconfirmation for onward payment to be send to you soonest.

Kindest Regards.

Rex.

Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:24 PM

Zar,

My client just informed me that you will definately get your payment before tuesday and i will send you the name and address of whom you will be sending the differences to as soon as you got your payment, i just want you to keep me posted.

Have a nice day,

Rex.

Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 1:26 PM
    Subject: BILL OF SALE

Mark,

My client just informed me that your payment is on the way and would get to you today so here is a preview of The Bill of Sale that the agent would be coming with which you have to sign with him and transfer the car to him:

I, ................. (seller),in consideration of..............dollars ($ ............... ), do hereby sell, transfer and convey to .......................(buyer),the following vehicle:...........I,the undersigned seller,do sell the above-described vehicle to the buyer for the amount shown and certify that all of the information provided in this Bill of Sale is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge.

I,the undersigned buyer, acknowledge receipt of this Bill of Sale and understand there is no guarantee or warranty,expressed or implied, with respect to the above-property.It is also understood that the above-stated vehicle is sold in "as is" condition.

Dated this ___________________ day of_________________, 200____.

Make:............................................. .................

Model:............................................ .................

Year:............................................. ..................

VIN:.............................................. ...................

Seller Name:............................................. ..........

Seller Signature:..........................

Driver's License #:........................

Phone #:......................................

Street Address:.......................................... ........

City:.......... State:.................ZIP:......................

Buyer's name.............................................. .........

Buyer's signature......................................... .........

Driver's license #.........................

Phone #......................................

Street Address:.......................................... .........

City:.......... State:.................ZIP:......................

Sign................... Sign....................
    Seller Buyer

Thanks in anticipation.

Rex.

Re: Another Cross Atlantic Shippers Scam

Part 2
    Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 1:28 PM
    Subject: INFORMATION NEEDED

Mark,

My client has instructed that you send down the difference on the check immediately to his Agent via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER and also provide the "address/location" of the purchased car so that as soon as the Agent receives the fund from you,they will be able to seal-up the transaction on pick-up and shippment.

This is the AGENT's Details that you would need to send the money via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER as he will be needing these funds to setlle some fees and tax charges regarding their shipping arrangements and as payment for his services before he can render his services.

Jason Williams
    Cross Atlantic Shippers
    1108 W Flagler St
    Miami,Florida 33157

We have made enquiries today, from western union money transfer,and we have been informed that you would be required to pay some charges as cost of the money transfer to the Agent. Our customer is aware of the cost and has agreed on the terms, so he has instructed that you go ahead and deduct the transfer charges from the fund that you would be sending to the Agent.

As soon as you have made the transfer,Please forward the transfer details which includes:
    1 - Western union control number
    2 - Test question (if any)
    3 - Sender's name and address
    4 - Amount sent after deducting transfer charges

to Agent via the Agent's email that I have provided for you below:

email : [email protected]

Please note that it is very important that you also forward to this my own email a copy of the transfer details that you will be sending to the Agent,as evidence that you have made the transfer to the Agent and to indicate the date that the transfer was made,this is very important for office records and bookeeping.

The agent is presently in canada right now and would be heading for USA soon, so it is very neccessary that we speed up our activities as regards this transaction,so that we can meet up with their schedule in view of the time range that they have for their pick-up/shipping jobs that they would be doing.

I will be expecting your mail with a copy ''CC'' of the money transfer details to the Agent,so that he can schedule with you on the pick-up arrangements.

N.B
    FOR EASY TRANSFER BELOW IS A WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER OUTLET CLOSE TO YOUR AREA WHERE YOU CAN SEND THE MONEY TO GET THE TRANSACTION COMPLETED

1)STOP & SHOP #XXX
    XXX XXX XXX
    XXXXXXX, XX XXXXX
    Tel: XXX-XXX-XXXX

2)STOP & SHOP #XXX
    XX XXXX XXX XXX
    XXXXXXXX, XX XXXXX
    Tel: XXX-XXX-XXXX

We are expecting your response with all the details, because our customer will need this to be done early enough to ensure that he has settled all financial aspects covering their pick-up/shipping arrangements,and to be assured that he has secured a booking with the Agent in order to meet up with their next shipping date.

Best regards,

Rex.

Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 4:24 PM

Mark,

You can make the bill of sale with this information

Dennis Hutchings
    3 Kinney Street
    Binghamton, NY 13901

Please do send the fund asap to the agent so that he can schedule for pick-up by sunday which i presume could be okay with you.

Regards,

Rex.

Elena Dorsett

ELena Dorsett...what a joke! stay away, she will try to sell you her jeep grand cherokee for a CHEAP price, and have you go through Square Trade, and Western Union, please stay away, i almost got scammed, but common sense told me it was too good to be true. a 20,000 dollar car for 6,500. Also, i called western union, and they said oooh, watch out, this is fraud. what a joke. look out for this one!
    ELENA DORSETT-SQUARE TRADE-LUFTHANSA AIR CARGO-WESTERN UNION

They copy square trades logo, and make a website of their own, and try to trick people, if you want to buy a car buy it only if it is infront of you!!

Well Golly Gee Another Scammer Report For You To View !

Hello Everyone - I just learned today this could be a scam . I had my Chevy Lumina For Sale Online and received these emails over the last week. The person sounded legit to me until I saw this website . So , now the Check is on it's way here . hmm.. That's why I chose this nick name ..cuz they are not getting my car . They might get more than what they bargained for cuz I am gonna go further with this and stop this person I hope. Funny thing to me is and I really didn't notice it but wouldn't a email from yahoo in the UK end with
    Yahoo.Uk instead of "meg ros" This is the person who sent these emails . I emailed this person earlier and asked for the Phone Number . I Would like some Feed back from People Here Please . Feel free to contact me personally @ [email protected] or here. Boy , I am sure glad I a Good Friend Of Mine sent me this website !!! Thank You Jenn !

P.S. I was selling the Car for $ 1,330 ..and they are offering me $1,400 ! What do you all think ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Email 1 :

Dear seller ,I saw your advert on the net and am much interested in buying your advert.i want you to tell me if is still available also tell me your last price and to view the present pic's if available.am ok with the condition you describe in the advert.a us cashier check we be use for the payment .let me know in asap so that we can proceed with the transaction.hope to hear from you soonext.

Respectfully,
    Regards.

Email 2:
    Thanks for the mail.Honestly i really appreciate your email it seems honest and trustworthy.
    like i have said ealier i will like to do business with a honest and trustfull person which i believe i am dealing with right person. i want you to consider it sold to me already.also i will offer you{$1400}. I want you to give me 2 days to arrange on how the payment will get to you.Moreso A us cashier check will be send to you which will carry the cost price and the shipping cost.the total amount that will be on the cashier check is{$5600} and you will remove your cost price which is {$1400}.you will send the remaining balance to my shipping company via western union money transfer for the shippment and the shipper will come for the pick-up immediately.hope every thing is clear.{$200}will be for western union charges.if you know you are ok with this arrangement kindly get back to me with your full details such as:-
    your full name........................
    your full address ..................
    your contact phone number........

hope to hear from you in asap.
    regards,

Email 3 :

Thanks for your patient.the check has been sent today and it will get to you by friday latext next week monday.as soon as you recieve the check,do not hesitate to inform me immediately.thanks and God bless you for your time in this transaction.

Re: Well Golly Gee Another Scammer Report For You To View !

and for those of you who read and don't reply to me I would appreciate some feedback on this please . Thanks !

This is the same thing I got about my car. i just can't believe this person was trying to deal for $100. That was just stupid. If you're going to take that kind of risk, it had better be worth it. I'm sure they are doig all kinds of transactions though. My car was selling for $7500 and he was sending a check for $13,000. I was suppose to send back the remainder ASAP. Like I'm that stupid. Besides, who is going to send you a check for more than what they owe you. You could just screw them over and not send back their money. No one does that. I wouldn't even do that with some family members, much less a total stranger in another country. My emails said this guy was in Europe on business and his "client" was in Canada. The name was Christian Agostinelli in Ontario.

Did you get the name of the buyer?

The emails I received came from "Sylva Daniel" [email protected], funny thing is, that email was created the day I received the first email. If you're a legit buyer, and you're surfing the net, you probably already have an email address, why create a new one? and if you didn't have one, just call.

I got the same thing today.. the email I received reads identical to what is above. What I find funny is that my offer was just blindly accepted - no haggling no photos no questions!!!

That's interesting. I am selling a car online and the transaction reads very similarly. However, I have already deposited the check and it has been a week, so it must have cleared by now. Does this mean I am safe to proceed? He wants money wired to a "shipper" which is in the name of some random person, this bothered me enough to seek help. The check is from a Bart Baranco, was mailed UPS from Seattle WA, but the check is from a credit union in Indiana. And the agent is supposedly located in the UK.

I don't understand why the check would have cleared though. It sounds like their strategy is to send a check and then get you to send western union before the check clears, then when the check bounces you are left with the difference. At this point I could simply wait and see what happens, maybe play too busy to look into the matter?

Well I guess it was correct to be suspicious from the beginning, since the check turned out to be one of these:

http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/Specia...05/sa2505.html

The problem is that the bank did not call me, I had to call them to find out that there was a problem with it. So please, don't simply assume everything is ok because the funds appear in your account and the bank does not call! If I had not been cautious from the very first contact with this guy, I could have been burned.

What made me suspicious is that
    - he offered to buy the car with no haggling, no pictures or anything.
    - he was working on behalf of a nameless "client" who had no input in the deal
    - his email address was in the UK
    - The check was from an Indiana financial institution
    - The check was sent UPS from a different name in Seattle WA
    - The "shipping money" was to be wired to someone under yet a different name in a different state
    - When the "agent" finally got around to sending the check after a long delay, he suddenly took on a tone of urgency that I send the wire immediately when receiving the check.
    - When I balked, saying I was going to wait for the funds to post first, he took on even more urgency and said it was ok to send "only" the $1200 necessary for federal transportation authority clearance.
    - I then made the excuse that the bank account I opened with the check was going to be frozen until the check was verified, and the matter was out of my hands. He has not mailed me back since.

So there was a clear progression from "less suspicious" to "more suspicious" for me.

I believe the key, if you find yourself involved in a smelly deal that you still think is worth the trouble to attempt as it was in my case (I'm really trying to get rid of the car for whatever price), is simply to wait until you have received the check, and wait for however long it takes the bank to verify the check (up to 30 days). I think the account freeze excuse is a good one to use to stall them, because they really have no comeback to that. Tell them you are broke otherwise so they don't try to coerce you into wiring money out of another account, or just be really slow answering your email (what could they possibly do about it?)

Sounds very similar to what we are experiencing right now.
    Same scenario..except we're selling an air mattress.
    Got an email from Christian Agostinelli who claims to represent his client:
    1.-
    "Hello I have a client who is intrested to buy your advertised For Sale item via www.buyandsell.ca. please i will like to know the present location and condition of it and aswell send more digtal pics if any for my client viewing,and let me know the present location and the condition .Please get back to us as soon as you recieve this with your best accepting price and contact .
    Thanks in anticipation
    Christian Agostinelli
    2.-Hi
    Thanks for your mail,i will like to let you that my client is eager to purchase this mattress from you but never the less my client is very glad to see that you are willing to sell the mattress to him,cause he can;t wait to see it picked up, we have deposite which is made for the order,but.However,our client has instructed us to carry on with the payment, What is your best accepting price .So you are required to provide name,address and phone number for payment to be delivered to you via courier our agent will be coming for the pick up and take to shipper to be shipped to my customer,while title papers other necessary documets will be handed over to the agent at the time of pick up.Please Confirm this and remove from advert the vehicle.
    Thanks in antisipation,
    Christian Agostinelli
    713-357-5140
    3.-
    Gooday, I'm John by name,So could you mail me back if your item is still available for sale and please include the price and the reason why you wanna sell it please the picture are very important to me ok.
    Mail me direct to my email address****
    [email protected]
    4.-
    Hi,
    How are you doing? Am very much okay with the price $1100.00 of the Bed cos that is what i need as you have explained it. I express satisfactory with the looks of it on the pictures. So I Will like to proceed with purchase. I need you to know I wont be able to come for the viewing before Purchase but I will like to purchased the Bed and have it shipped down here asap in UK. I will be Responsible for shipping and pick up of the Bed .In such that ,I will instruct my shipper to come over to pick up the Bed from you And have it shipped down As soon as I make payment to you. He will also be collecting and signing.All papers regarding purchase And ownership of the Bed on my behalf. so am rest assure that he will handle everything well. Guess you understand. Payment for the Bed will be made to you in money order. Shipment arrangement will commence immediately. Guess all is well! ! understood. Get back to me with the following details so ass to get payment down to you asap
    Full name....
    Contact address...........
    Zip Code................
    Phone numbers....................
    Country.............
    Tel #......................
    Cheers.
    I will be expecting your reply ASAP.
    Thanks and God Bless ......
    John
    Havent heard from him yet..and doubt I will. I tried to call the 713 phone #..and of course it didnt go through.
    So, this looks pretty suspicious to me as well.

Please note . The people directly involved in these scams are using this web page to keep one step ahead.
    Typhoon