+ Reply to Thread

New or old idea of "typing at home opportunity?"

I've been browsing for a work at home job for some time now and finally I've came across an idea that is a possible solution to my infinite search.

There is a posting for a freelance position that looks for an individual to convert book files into electronic reader formats such as kindle, Sony reader, iPhone, etc.

How realistic or legitimate is that? Has anyone seen such posting?

I understand that there are people being hired to type manuscripts, thesis, or researach projects, however HAS ANYONE RAN INTO THE "OPPORTUNITY" TO SCAN/TYPE/CONVERT HARD COPY BOOKS LEGALLY FOR AN AUTHOR/A PUBLISHER TO TURN INTO A DOWNLOADABLE/RESELLABLE ELECTRONIC READER FORMAT?

I've been wondering if there is such a company or publishing house that hires people to convert all hard copy. bound, pages of magazine, books and newspapers (new and old) for the popular, new electronic readers/books.

Is it a position that you can only find with publishing companies (copyright issues)? Hired by pure freelance? Or are they contracted out to another company to compile/type/scan all reading materials that are not already in electronic reader format?

Bottom line is...

-Has anyone heard of or encountered such opportunity?

-How legitimate is it?

-Who offers such position as employee or freelance?

-Any other thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Scam?

Re: New or old idea of "typing at home opportunity

From a quick search it appears like it's a freelance type job. However I would imagine if you got on with a publishing company who allowed you to work from home, that would be another route to take. I found a couple of jobs:

http://www.ifreelance.com/project/de...rojectid=40090

http://stanfordpublishing.jobamatic....ind-jobs?jt=32

you have found the same website that I've stumbbled across! It was the website description that provoked my thinking abou this possibility.

However, I've also visited some major publishing giants on the internet and I have no idea how to search for the job title or job description. Would anyone have any ideas on how to search for such opportunity? Since it is such a limited search results.

The college or university where you took your 4 year degree in English Lit. will have placement resources available to you, even if several years have passed since your graduation.

Publishing trade publications - e.g. "Publisher's Weekly" - will have job listings: also, trade publications in specific fields will have listings for those who have degrees in those fields as well as in Lit.

The general press will, on occasion have listings for legitimate positions; to be avoided, of course, are those that advertise "No Degree/No Experience Required" - all such are scams.

Have you considered volunteering for a non-profit, such as Project Gutenberg's Distributed Proofreaders; volunteering and internships look good on a resumé.

The project gutenberg idea is an excellent one! The giant publishing houses probably will NOT hire directly for a work at home position. If you were already working for them, then you could approach them about working from home. If you did happen to find that type of job with a major publisher, you would want to have some good solid experience behind you.