+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are we all neurotic?

Are we all neurotic?

My reading tells me that we are all neurotic and some of us are so neurotic that we cannot function satisfactorily in normal society and are then considered to be mentally ill.

]b]All humans repress aspects of their life that might cause anxiety. This repression is called neurosis.[/b] It is the constant conflict wherein the ego constantly struggles to hold down thoughts that will cause anxiety. Freud discovered the unconscious in life and there exists a constant conflict between the unconscious and the ego. The ego keeps that in the unconscious that can cause anxiety from becoming conscious.

Humans are the only species to be self conscious. We dread death and repress that dread because we cannot live with a constant consciousness of our mortality.

Conflict is the essential characteristic of humanness.

Regression to animal existence is one answer to the quest to transcend separateness. Wo/man can try to eliminate that which makes her human but also tortures her; s/he can discard reason and self-consciousness. What is noteworthy here is that if everybody does it, it ain’t fiction; anything everyone does is reality, even if it is a virtual reality. For most people, reason and reality is nothing more than public consensus. “One never ‘loses one’s mind’ when nobody else’s mind differs from one’s own.”

Regression to our animal form of instinctual behavior happens when we replace our lost animal instincts with our own fully developed symbolic instincts; we can then program our self to uncritically follow these culturally formed instincts without further consideration. We can then do like the elephant parade; we hold the tail of the one in front of us with our trunk and march in file without any other thoughts to disturb our tranquility.

“The great characteristic of our time is that we know everything important about human nature that there is to know. Yet never has there been an age in which so little knowledge is securely possessed, so little a part of common understanding. The reason is precisely the advance of specialization, the impossibility of making safe general statements, which has led to a general imbecility.”

The steel worker on the girder
    learned not to look down, and does his work
    And there are words we have learned
    Not to look at,
    Not to look for substance
    Below them. But we are on the verge
    Of vertigo.

George Oppen

Norman Brown informs us that to comprehend Freud one must understand “repression”. “In the new Freudian perspective, the essence of society is repression of the individual, the essence of the individual is repression of the self.”

Freud discovered the importance of repression when he discovered the meaning of the “mad” symptoms of the mentally deranged, plus the meaning of dreams, and thirdly the everyday happenings regarded as slips of the tongue, errors, and random thoughts. He concludes that dreams, mental derangements, and common every day errors (Freudian slips) have meaningful causes that can be explained. Meaningful is the key word here.

Since these psychic phenomena are unconscious we must accept that we have motivation to action with a purpose for which we are unconscious (involuntary purposes). This inner nature of which we are completely unaware leads to Freud’s definition of psychoanalysis as “nothing more than the discovery of the unconscious in mental life.”

Freud discovered that sapiens have unconscious causes which are hidden from her because they are disowned and hidden by the conscious self. The dynamic relationship between the unconscious and conscious life is a constant battle and psychoanalysis is a science of this mental conflict.

The rejection of an idea which is one’s very own and remains so is repression. The essence of repression is in the fact that the individual refuses to recognize this reality of her very own nature. This nature becomes evident when it erupts into consciousness only in dreams or neurotic symptoms or by slips of the tongue.

The unconscious is illuminated only when it is being repressed by the conscious mind. It is a process of psychic conflict. “We obtain our theory of the unconscious from the theory of repression.” Freud’s hypothesis of the repressed unconscious results from the conclusion that it is common to all humans. This is a phenomenon of everyday life; neurosis is common to all humans.

Quotes from Ernest Becker, Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction Denial of Death

Re: Are we all neurotic?

What are you trying to say about me?

i knew it, you both are CIA spies!? i hope you sterilized your fingers and put gloves on before you typed!? :

http://www.neuroses.org/psychology-test.html

first pass. 49 slightly neurotic and very enlightened!?
    Last edited by lexx; 07-27-2009 at 08:11 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

did you record my movements? you spying :yelcutelaughA:fiend!

but seriously ....did you?
    LMAO

I might argue that only the neurotic need to ask that question in the first place.
    It isn't arrogance. It's simple observation.

Quote Originally Posted by its_Andrew_ View Post
    I might argue that only the neurotic need to ask that question in the first place.
    i, for 1 or 2 or 3 or heck......pick a number!? am glad you didn't!? you gonna take the test,or risk being labled........chicken!? m'cfly!?

: :spin2:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

I took the test. It said:
    Your score is 49.

You are slightly neurotic, and fairly enlightened as well.
    Strange. Perhaps I should have studied for it.

:sun_smiley:
    It isn't arrogance. It's simple observation.

Quote Originally Posted by its_Andrew_ View Post
    I took the test. It said:
    Strange. Perhaps I should have studied for it.

:sun_smiley:
    i took it a second time to try and fool it and got 44 and a little enlightened!? or maybe it was fairly!? still dont know if a higher or lower number is good!? seems like higher is better!? better what!? better neurotic!? BWAHAHA!!? : :spin2:

Quote Originally Posted by reentry View Post
    What are you trying to say about me?
    You are neurotic and normal.

i thought he was mentally ill!? or is that because i'm mentally ill!? does that mean he/i am ill advised!? what's the opposite called!? well advised!? do you think society is becoming more neurotic!? how many know they are neurotic!? what do you do when you find out you are neurotic!? assume you are sane and everyone else is crazy!? what do you do if you ever wake up from that decision!? take a pill!? or is that how it all started in the first place!? : :spin2:

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    You are neurotic and normal.

WOW!? that sucks the wind outa normal's sails!? how about, your neurotic and it's fairly common!? not comforting enough!? then there's......your neurotic and it's universal!? too hopeless sounding!? ......ya had ta ask!? ignorance WAS bliss!? : :crazy1:

Hi All,
    I'm not sure I agree that all of Western philosophy should be thrown out the window. For example, modern neuroscience seems to be adopting the view that we create most of our perceptions, which is in agreement with Eastern thought. We also have Descartes' "I think therefore I am." He may have been barking up the wrong tree with the mind/body dichotomy, but his Meditations are sincere, and that conclusion, "Cognito ergo sum," is a very powerful refutation of nihilism, which is completely in agreement with the best of Eastern philosophy. For another example, the scientific method is practically the exact same thing as the four noble truths. Here is the scientific method:
    1. Define the problem.
    2. Form a hypothetical solution.
    3. Design an experiment.
    4. Test your hypothesis.
    And here are the four noble truths:
    1. Suffering. (Problem defined.)
    2. Origin of suffering. (Hypothetical solution.)
    3. End of suffering. (Defining the path, or "experiment," which led previous Buddhas to nirvana.)
    4. The way to the end of suffering. (Testing the method for yourself, i.e. conducting the experiment.)
    These are just a few examples. There are countless other examples: Heraclitus on impermanence, Hume on skepticism, the theory of Panprotopsychism, etc. etc. etc. These dharmas didn't necessarily come from a Buddha, and so aren't really meant to be taken refuge in per se, but that doesn't mean all Western philosophy should be thrown out the window, because a good deal of the time

Best Regards...

Sorry, I was trying to be humerous...

I suggest for a more modern western version you try reading E.V. FRANKL's early works and his deductions on the mass communication age.I am not sure why everyone turns to freud...he broke ground but today he is so out of date that his work is of little use except as buildng blocks for others...such as erickson etc....it may be of interest.....Frankl predicts that neurosis is directly proportional to the reliance on force fed communication where moral assumptions are attached by unschooled commentators...bad mags and papers...tv etc......

Imagine what Frankl would make of the internet and crud like wiki, facebook and twitter!
    People using these as daily tools unforunately learn that close enough is ok.... via rubbish like this ......and authorative answers seem more difficult to identify to those truely seeking them... as they have to wade through the rubbish.....this necessarily produces neurosis (as trust is diminshed and even truth is more subjective than it has ever been)...it's everywhere and especially highlighted in email and texting, there are a few interesting studies going at the moment......our children will be most affected...IMO
    However...
    The query in this thread was originally a posed as a ego boosting attempt by the cut and paste bandit (no info of his/her own) and a obviously foolish question as it has no measurable answer...... and at best it could be considered by the thoughtful as rhetoric.
    I humbly suggest you treat it as the joke a few of us have already found it too be.
    Last edited by reentry; 08-05-2009 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    Are we all neurotic?

My reading tells me that we are all neurotic and some of us are so neurotic that we cannot function satisfactorily in normal society and are then considered to be mentally ill.

]b]All humans repress aspects of their life that might cause anxiety. This repression is called neurosis.[/b] It is the constant conflict wherein the ego constantly struggles to hold down thoughts that will cause anxiety. Freud discovered the unconscious in life and there exists a constant conflict between the unconscious and the ego. The ego keeps that in the unconscious that can cause anxiety from becoming conscious.

Humans are the only species to be self conscious. We dread death and repress that dread because we cannot live with a constant consciousness of our mortality.

Conflict is the essential characteristic of humanness.

Regression to animal existence is one answer to the quest to transcend separateness. Wo/man can try to eliminate that which makes her human but also tortures her; s/he can discard reason and self-consciousness. What is noteworthy here is that if everybody does it, it ain’t fiction; anything everyone does is reality, even if it is a virtual reality. For most people, reason and reality is nothing more than public consensus. “One never ‘loses one’s mind’ when nobody else’s mind differs from one’s own.”

Regression to our animal form of instinctual behavior happens when we replace our lost animal instincts with our own fully developed symbolic instincts; we can then program our self to uncritically follow these culturally formed instincts without further consideration. We can then do like the elephant parade; we hold the tail of the one in front of us with our trunk and march in file without any other thoughts to disturb our tranquility.

“The great characteristic of our time is that we know everything important about human nature that there is to know. Yet never has there been an age in which so little knowledge is securely possessed, so little a part of common understanding. The reason is precisely the advance of specialization, the impossibility of making safe general statements, which has led to a general imbecility.”

The steel worker on the girder
    learned not to look down, and does his work
    And there are words we have learned
    Not to look at,
    Not to look for substance
    Below them. But we are on the verge
    Of vertigo.

George Oppen

Norman Brown informs us that to comprehend Freud one must understand “repression”. “In the new Freudian perspective, the essence of society is repression of the individual, the essence of the individual is repression of the self.”

Freud discovered the importance of repression when he discovered the meaning of the “mad” symptoms of the mentally deranged, plus the meaning of dreams, and thirdly the everyday happenings regarded as slips of the tongue, errors, and random thoughts. He concludes that dreams, mental derangements, and common every day errors (Freudian slips) have meaningful causes that can be explained. Meaningful is the key word here.

Since these psychic phenomena are unconscious we must accept that we have motivation to action with a purpose for which we are unconscious (involuntary purposes). This inner nature of which we are completely unaware leads to Freud’s definition of psychoanalysis as “nothing more than the discovery of the unconscious in mental life.”

Freud discovered that sapiens have unconscious causes which are hidden from her because they are disowned and hidden by the conscious self. The dynamic relationship between the unconscious and conscious life is a constant battle and psychoanalysis is a science of this mental conflict.

The rejection of an idea which is one’s very own and remains so is repression. The essence of repression is in the fact that the individual refuses to recognize this reality of her very own nature. This nature becomes evident when it erupts into consciousness only in dreams or neurotic symptoms or by slips of the tongue.

The unconscious is illuminated only when it is being repressed by the conscious mind. It is a process of psychic conflict. “We obtain our theory of the unconscious from the theory of repression.” Freud’s hypothesis of the repressed unconscious results from the conclusion that it is common to all humans. This is a phenomenon of everyday life; neurosis is common to all humans.

Quotes from Ernest Becker, Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction Denial of Death

YES, I BELIEVE WE ARE!!!!:rotz:
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

OK...let's cut through the psychobabble and take a look at a few simple rules for good ol' country livin'. (humor)

1. I'm not crazy. My reality is just a little different than yours. And who says your reality is so fricken great? Anybody who says so....the hell with 'em. :crazy1:

2. My shit's perfect. Every one else's is f**k*d up. Seein' that this is a scam forum, need I belabor the point? Unless of course you're a scammer. :judges:

3. Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. :sun_smiley:

4. I knew a scammer once. He was really a nice guy. I really missed him. Since then my aim has gotten much better. etwhore:

Have a nice day folks. :spin2:

To answer the question, broadly speaking, yes we all are, to one extent or another. You could even argue that everyone probably has traits that would fit the description of many mental health illnesses, schizophrenia, narcissitic personality disorder, and so on. So is the whole world mentally ill then? And if the answer is 'yes', then the term mental illness loses all meaning.

Here is how I measrure it. It is only if your particular issue starts to really effect your life that it needs to be addressed. For example, if it is such a problem that it is costing you your health, or the chance to have a normal relationship, it is at that point it is a problem. Imo.
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..