+ Reply to Thread

Wells Fargo Branch

WELLS FARGO Would not take a check from a major credit card issuer as a deposit into my account.

They knew the payer very well but said "they could not verify if the check would clear."

I took it to my other bank and they took it no questions asked.

In the past, I have deposited checks written by myself into my own checking account. Again, no problem. Why should there be?

The banks are in business of taking checks into our accounts.

I am not talking about Nigerian money orders or the like.

It was obviously a check from a major CC company.

My account was in good standing.

The payer is a long standing customer.

What really irritated me was that several of the tellers put their opinion in, no one would approve it, and one said " have XXXXX take a CASH ADVANCE from the card!

I said " wouldnt there be some fee?

Of course there would. A lot of them.

This was 0 % months long check adavance.

NOT A CASH ADVANCE

Terrible solution.

I asked them "what should XXX do with these checks then.?

Of course they could not answer that.

The answer

Take them to another bank beside Wells Fargo.

My XXXX wont.

She could just take the $100,000 WF approved her for if she really needed the money!

Re: Wells Fargo Branch

You do realize that you are coming off as unreasonable towards your bank?

The bank was merely trying to protect you and itself.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre40.shtm
    Quote Originally Posted by FTC.GOV
    Under federal law, banks must make funds available to you from U.S. Treasury checks, official bank checks (cashierís checks, certified checks, and tellerís checks), and checks paid by government agencies at the opening of business the day after you deposit the check. For other checks, banks must similarly make the first $100 available the day after you deposit the check. Remaining funds must be made available on the second day after the deposit if payable by a local bank, and within five days if drawn on distant banks.
    While the check may not be a fake, the bank by law has to make the funds available to you ( see above ). If you redraw from those funds you will be held responsible for the money.

So maybe next time step back and and think that maybe they are trying to help you out instead of making your life harder.

EE2000

Quote Originally Posted by EE2000 View Post
    You do realize that you are coming off as unreasonable towards your bank?

The bank was merely trying to protect you and itself.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre40.shtm

While the check may not be a fake, the bank by law has to make the funds available to you ( see above ). If you redraw from those funds you will be held responsible for the money.

So maybe next time step back and and think that maybe they are trying to help you out instead of making your life harder.

EE2000

I don't think they "were trying to help me." The tellers were inexperienced and afraid to make a judgement call as they knew the maker and uttered her name. ( which violated privacy laws) They may end being liable in that regard if my XXXX purues that aspect of the case. I don't think they were worried about the maker of the check.

They were worried about the amount of the deposit versus my current balance, although I had only asked for a withdrawal that did not exceed the cash in my account. I was not drawing against these uncollected funds.

First of all , I know the maker; she has a high limit and we discussed that she just made sure that she didn't go above 50% percent of her credit limit so as to not hurt her ( excellent) credit rating.

Secondly, I went to my other bank and they deposited the check, as a bank should.

Wells Fargo either needs to get into the business of banking, which obviously includes accepting deposits , or get out of the business of banking.

The teller suggested taking a cash advance instead. Was that a helpful suggestion?

Furthermore, I disagree with your statement that the funds would have to be available. Wells Fargo could have put a hold on the check. It would take 3 days to clear, but I would have accepted 10 business days, and would have accepted a fee if the item would have been returned.

No. Wells Fargo needs to get into the business of banking, not making excuses. My other bank "did not try to help, me" - - they DID help me. Now I have the funds to pay my bills which , ironically included Wells Fargo. Yes, I have a loan there which is due! The deposit would have been used to pay that loan at Wells Fargo.

So what did I have to do? Go to ANOTHER bank, cash the check that Wells Fargo refused to accept as a depoisit into my account and BRING BACK cash to deposit into my account so I CAN PAY MY LOAN TO WELLS FARGO!

Then, this is the kicker: GET THIS

No more than a day after Wells Fargo refused to accept a personal check for deposit into my account, they made a bank error and deposited $5,000 into my account! I am not kidding ( although the amount is different , but in the ball park, to protect my privacy)

This was approximately 5 times the attempted deposit on my account.

I have confirmation number from my call regarding that bank errror and it will be backed out in a few days, but at the time of this writing, the money is posted in my account!

No. Wells Fargo did me no favor by not taking my deposit.

Sorry.
    Last edited by eflteacher; 07-04-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eflteacher View Post
    I don't think they "were trying to help me." The tellers were inexperienced and afraid to make a judgement call as they knew the maker and uttered her name. ( which violated privacy laws) They may end being liable in that regard if my XXXX purues that aspect of the case. I don't think they were worried about the maker of the check.
    Yes it could have very well been deposited without a problem. Again they do not know that, a bank has every right to refuse a check that they think is suspicious. Again the teller made a judgment call sorry but this time in your opinion it was based on inexperience.

They were worried about the amount of the deposit versus my current balance, although I had only asked for a withdrawal that did not exceed the cash in my account. I was not drawing against these uncollected funds.
    That in my opinion was not correct, as long as the funds are available in your account you have access to it.

First of all , I know the maker; she has a high limit and we discussed that she just made sure that she didn't go above 50% percent of her credit limit so as to not hurt her ( excellent) credit rating.
    I am going to assume maker is the writer of the check. Ok so you know the person who wrote, you know they have more then enough in their account to cover the check. The bank doesn't and they are not just going to take your word for it.

[quote]The teller suggested taking a cash advance instead. Was that a helpful suggestion?[/quoted]

No and possibly over the line.

Furthermore, I disagree with your statement that the funds would have to be available. Wells Fargo could have put a hold on the check. It would take 3 days to clear, but I would have accepted 10 business days, and would have accepted a fee if the item would have been returned.
    You are disagreeing with the FTC not me. though I do not know the policies of Wells Fargo. Just makes sense to do your homework if you ask me.

No. Wells Fargo needs to get into the business of banking, not making excuses. My other bank "did not try to help, me" - - they DID help me. Now I have the funds to pay my bills which , ironically included Wells Fargo. Yes, I have a loan there which is due! The deposit would have been used to pay that loan at Wells Fargo.
    They are, they also are in the business of trying to make a profit. Again the teller made a judgment call that you didn't agree with. Sorry get over it already.

So what did I have to do? Go to ANOTHER bank, cash the check that Wells Fargo refused to accept as a depoisit into my account and BRING BACK cash to deposit into my account so I CAN PAY MY LOAN TO WELLS FARGO!
    You know sometimes the closet post office doesn't have flags, and I have to drive to another one and sometimes that one doesn't have any either, then I get to go to another one, sometimes you have to go to a military base to get them. Annoying but really not that big of an inconvenience as I need them so I will do what I need to in order to get them.

I understand your upset but really your acting as if this really brought your world to a grinding halt. Inconvenience as it was in the bigger picture of things this is something minor.

Then, this is the kicker: GET THIS

No more than a day after Wells Fargo refused to accept a personal check for deposit into my account, they made a bank error and deposited $5,000 into my account! I am not kidding ( although the amount is different , but in the ball park, to protect my privacy)

This was approximately 5 times the attempted deposit on my account.

I have confirmation number from my call regarding that bank errror and it will be backed out in a few days, but at the time of this writing, the money is posted in my account!

No. Wells Fargo did me no favor by not taking my deposit.

Sorry.
    You really had no reason to post that. Banks sometimes deposit money into the wrong accounts, then you have the idiots who think it is free money and spend it and act surprise when they get arrested. Banks makes mistakes just like everyone else.

EE2000

Quote Originally Posted by EE2000 View Post

Yes it could have very well been . Sorry get over it already.

You really had no reason to post that.

Banks sometimes deposit money into the wrong accounts, then you have the idiots who think it is free money and spend it and act surprise when they get arrested. Banks makes mistakes just like everyone else.

EE2000
    You made some good points, EE2000.

But when anyone says, " get over it , already," they always lose me and it invalidates their otherwise good argument.

I will respond though to your statement that I should not have posted about the banks deposit error.

It seems after I blasted Wells Fargo for not taking a deposit, that their error would seem minor in comparison.

You do know why I mentioned this , don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by eflteacher View Post
    You made some good points, EE2000.

But when anyone says, " get over it , already," they always lose me and it invalidates their otherwise good argument.

I will respond though to your statement that I should not have posted about the banks deposit error.

It seems after I blasted Wells Fargo for not taking a deposit, that their error would seem minor in comparison.

You do know why I mentioned this , don't you?

My intention was not to invalidate your feelings, in fact I can understand quite well. It is frustrating to have to go some where else to do business when you should be able to it at the first place. And you have every right to complain, I was pointing out how the other side views things as we often forget that in the heat of things, and yes I included myself in the we.

I hope I didn't come off as um I guess snobbish when I said the deposit error on there part had nothing to do with it. I mean I see why you mentioned it. But I was more or less just trying to protect you in the future, again people often forget this is the internet and nothing is really anonymous.
    To me it is always best to be cautious when posting information about ones self.

In reality I am actually quite nice, and really I'm trying to be helpful.

EE2000