+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Homeless.

The Homeless.

I was driving down the road through heavy, and slow traffic today. Trying to get to a freeway onramp. There was a homeless guy. He had a horrible limp, and one foot was turned sideways as he walked. I didn't know if this was being faked. Though that would be tough to do continually if you walked normally. Anyway he walked up and down the street, showing his sign. His sign said please help me. I am always a little wary of giving money, because I feel I am contributing to the problem, by giving money. I have given money to homeless before so they could get something to eat. Only to see them later drinking alcohol with the money I gave them. So sometimes you don't know what to do or how to help.

Though as I drove by I saw true pain in his eyes. Believe me I have seen plenty of homeless people over the years. I never saw such pain in a persons eyes in my life. I looked at him right in the eyes. I didn't know how I could help. I thought a lousy couple of bucks probably won't help. You will probably just buy alcohol with it.

Though I saw the pain. I wish there was someway I could of helped.

I felt there was nothing I could do.

Re: The Homeless.

Most homeless will probably be in mental hospitals if it was done properly by Government. Personally, I do not know what is better for people: being homeless or stay at the mental hospital.

Every chance I get I donate to the Salvation Army or the local groups that help the homeless. Giving money to panhandlers directly can be dangerous and the money may very well go to drugs. The true American spirit of giving can get folks shelter and food if we all do what we can. Don't be discouraged, but inspired by the opportunity we have to make a difference today!

Soapboxmom

the homeless you see asking for money are not homeless, except the wife locked them out last night for drinking too much, perhaps. disabled people in the usa are well kept. the people on the street asking for money are asking for drinking and drug money.

find out where the free food is passed out in your town, make a donation to that organization, or even volunteer if you want to help.

Why just money?

"I got no dime but I got some time to hear his story"~ Wharf Rat~the Grateful Dead"

Being seen as a human being might be nice too...

Pete
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    Why just money?

"I got no dime but I got some time to hear his story"~ Wharf Rat~the Grateful Dead"

Being seen as a human being might be nice too...

Pete
    the homeless are who they are because they are not part of any organized 'social' SUPPORT structure!? and they are mentally unstable and lack direction in their lives!? most likely due to drug ABUSE!? there are also a lot of people who have a place to call home but are in the same 'condition'!? :freak3:

pete has hit the nail on the head as to a cure/help!? i have personally known some homeless people and my door was always open as long as they didn't trespass on my hospitality!? a younger fella finally got shot in a bad drug deal and an older fella got back with his ex and cleaned up!? both were drug addicts!? although like i said before, many people who have lives, homes, jobs are no better off!? :freak3:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    the homeless are who they are because they are not part of any organized 'social' SUPPORT structure!? and they are mentally unstable and lack direction in their lives!? most likely due to drug ABUSE!? there are also a lot of people who have a place to call home but are in the same 'condition'!? :freak3:

pete has hit the nail on the head as to a cure/help!? i have personally known some homeless people and my door was always open as long as they didn't trespass on my hospitality!? a younger fella finally got shot in a bad drug deal and an older fella got back with his ex and cleaned up!? both were drug addicts!? although like i said before, many people who have lives, homes, jobs are no better off!? :freak3:
    Excuse me. People who have lives, homes, jobs are no better off.

Whatever dude.

Quote Originally Posted by howdy View Post
    Excuse me. People who have lives, homes, jobs are no better off.

Whatever dude.
    i said 'many', but i maybe shoulda said 'some'!? and actually i meant physiologically speaking and not necessarily the physical comforts!? and there are a lot of people on the verge of homelessness!? it wouldn't take much, just some incident/series or family support problem!? i wonder how many people there actually are who could not support themselves if they were dropped into the middle of a new town/place far away from home!? and out of/denied communication with relatives!? :freak3: :spin2: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

i said 'many', but i maybe shoulda said 'some'!? and actually i meant physiologically speaking and not necessarily the physical comforts!? and there are a lot of people on the verge of homelessness!? it wouldn't take much, just some incident/series or family support problem!? i wonder how many people there actually are who could not support themselves if they were dropped into the middle of a new town/place far away from home!? and out of/denied communication with relatives!? :freak3: :spin2: :
    OK thanks for clarifying that for me. Yes, no doubt people are on the brink of loosing everything.

As far as being dropped into a new place. I guess that would just depend where you were dropped.

As far as the no communication with relatives, well to some that would be a blessing.

there are agencies that provide help. traveler's aid, for instance, for many years provided food, shelter, showers, clothes, phone, whatever for those that found themselves stranded without money. YMCA, salvation army, union mission, more . . .

none of these agencies provided cash for alcohol or drugs, which is why pan handling became popular.

any of you that want to can try your own experiment. pack a change of clothes in a small backpack, go down around the bus station and ask some homeless guy where you can get some food. there's always someplace that feeds free atleast once a day. if you are brave, spend some nights in shelters. i am kinda afraid of TB and scabies and whatever now, but when i was young, i was foolish. you can sell blood twice a week for some pocket money.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    there are agencies that provide help. traveler's aid, for instance, for many years provided food, shelter, showers, clothes, phone, whatever for those that found themselves stranded without money. YMCA, salvation army, union mission, more . . .

none of these agencies provided cash for alcohol or drugs, which is why pan handling became popular.

any of you that want to can try your own experiment. pack a change of clothes in a small backpack, go down around the bus station and ask some homeless guy where you can get some food. there's always someplace that feeds free atleast once a day. if you are brave, spend some nights in shelters. i am kinda afraid of TB and scabies and whatever now, but when i was young, i was foolish. you can sell blood twice a week for some pocket money.
    That is why I always hesitate giving the homeless money. I know from experience that all they will do is take the money and spend it on alcohol, or drugs. So for now I will donate to the shelters, and food banks.

The last thing a homeless person should be doing is drinking or doing drugs.

I know the economy is in the tank. Many are becoming homeless. Though if this happens to a person. That person should be focused on how to get out of that situation. Once that person does, then by all means enjoy a few beers.

That is why I always hesitate giving the homeless money. I know from experience that all they will do is take the money and spend it on alcohol, or drugs. So for now I will donate to the shelters, and food banks.

The last thing a homeless person should be doing is drinking or doing drugs.

I know the economy is in the tank. Many are becoming homeless. Though if this happens to a person. That person should be focused on how to get out of that situation. Once that person does, then by all means enjoy a few beers.
    not to be critical but that seems overly simplistic and self-excusive thinking!? we live in a world/life game of musical chairs!? it's obvious that the truely(chronic?) homeless dont want to play that game!? or they just lack something that would allow them to!? were all on drugs in america!? whether it's caffeine, nicotine,painkillers or something more potent/mind/mood altering!? i'm curious as to how many (percentage) actually NEVER use any form of chemical AIDS to help them along!? :freak3: :spin2: :
    Last edited by lexx; 07-10-2009 at 08:03 AM.

the difference is, i don't choose coffee or rent. if i had to, i could live without coffee or bum coffee from friends or relatives for awhile. i would pay the rent, on time, every time.

the alcoholic or drug addict cannot make this choice. he lives only to get more of the substance he craves. bad checks? theft? whatever. his relatives know and will no longer let him in the house. so he's out there.

not to be critical but that seems overly simplistic and self-excusive thinking!? we live in a world/life game of musical chairs!? it's obvious that the truely(chronic?) homeless dont want to play that game!? or they just lack something that would allow them to!? were all on drugs in america!? whether it's caffeine, nicotine,painkillers or something more potent/mind/mood altering!? i'm curious as to how many (percentage) actually NEVER use any form of chemical AIDS to help them along!? :freak3: :spin2: :
    I would say a large majority of them do use alcohol or drugs. Once one finds themselves in this situation. Were are you going to turn for help?

To the people doing drugs, and drinking. So the dregs of society is where one may find help?

I would say a large majority of them do use alcohol or drugs. Once one finds themselves in this situation. Were are you going to turn for help?

To the people doing drugs, and drinking. So the dregs of society is where one may find help?
    real help is personal!? like the story of the good samaritan!? i was just reading about society and something called the diffusion of responsibilty!? i took it to mean that respons-ability is a qualitative not a quantitative human factor!? just because you are born is no guarantee of a responsible life!? you might say it is only learned thru example!? and the basis for that example has got to be genuine, not just imitative!? if it is genuine, it can withstand difficulty and challenges!? if it is not, it cannot withstand any abberation at all!? there are so many people living imitative lives!? trying to be somebody/something or another!? i am now thinking ...what is the "factor" that makes anything genuine!? what could we call it!? absolute certainty!? certainty of what!? who you are and what your doing in life!? :freak3: :spin2: :

Its great that some people actually think about this problem...
    I dont have a overarching answer but here are some of my thoughts....
    One possible answer is supporting a charity (in any way you are comfortable in doing ) but chose one that has professionals who are trained to deal with the confrontational nature of this issue, the church( most established churches anyway)...like it or not have always played a major role on this issue they are truely the one organisation that never gives up IMO....
    Another is ensuring our own sphere of friends / relatives etc... know they have a person to support them through thick and thin.

I will pray we find a way to help those less fortunate than ourselves and try to look for opportunities to help in more than word.