+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ghana student needs money for school

I set up a myface account and a short time later was contacted by an individual claiming to be a 17-year old boy from Ghana. After a few days of communication, my "friend" said he needed $130 US dollars to finish senior high school. Surely this must be a scam. He even asked me to contact his headmster (who had a Yahoo email address!?!). He keeps IMing me and I'm getting POed. Can someone confirm this? Any response is appreciated.

Thanks.

weblet is offline TTA, Old Hen, Dinosaur - apparently clueless trash and filthy pear, too User Rank

Re: Ghana student needs money for school

If you have to ask the question...
    Ann, CTC
    Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

www.realscam.com. Is it, or isn't it? You decide.

hey, i need $130, too, while you are writing checks. or are you sending it by western union?

Thanks, weblet. I guess I just needed reassurance. Sorry Mumbles, nobobody's getting any $130 check:spin2:.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I can always use a second opinion (and some laughs).

I got an email like this too, nigerian boy need money for medical bills.. bunch of scammers...

oh my. That is just a weird story. I would report it to the ic3.gov or can you just block him from messaging you on yahoo?

Thanks, Silver. I've already blocked this individual from YahooIM. Maybe I should report him, too. Tony, I hope this post helps you and others. There was already one similar to it, but with only a single response and no follow-up from the person who posted. I'm hoping that this post will serve to firm up the doubts of other potential victims, so thanks for contributing.
    :judges:
    Last edited by whitshade; 06-29-2009 at 05:37 AM.

Hey,

I found this article on the public education system in Ghana. It's from an accredited university so it's legit:

http://www.lehigh.edu/~tqr0/ghanaweb/education.html

They have public education in Ghana. Don't get scammed.

Thanks.:

good work. I did post your story on my site too. There seem to be a ton of these types of scams floating around the internet. One gets exposed 20 pop up.

To be honest with you I don't believe anything I read in an e-mail from someone nowadays. Unless I know them in person.

It is weird how they try to sucker you in with an emotional story and then ask for money.

Yeah, I'm right in the middle of the same thing. Except that he's apparently in Uthmania International school, which is a university. His parents allegedly dies when he was ten, and he needs $200 for exams. Another difference is that he gave me the headmasters phone number, and I asked for a way to contact the headmaster after reading this and a few other cases. Now he's going to get me the e-mail, because I said I'd probably try the headmaster tomorrow. He also keeps trying to call me, because it's on Skype, so you can have video chats, but I can't see or hear him because he's on his cell doing this. I'm failry certain it's the same thing that happened to you, but I have to wonder, none of the people who've had this happen to them have actually gone through with it, thus no, one has seen the consequences. I mean, this might just be a way that needy students in Ghana get money, and perhaps the reason they need it was what they really say. Which makes you wonder; even if they did need it, and the story was legit, would you really give it to them? I am legitimately poor. I mean, I'm only a seventeen-year-old living with my younger brother and single mother, and we barely make it by with her salary. I've made this clear to him and he still wants money. But the point is, I can't afford it, despite having just over 200 in my savings account, I'm saving for college myself, and can't expect my mother to pay. Anyway, his name is Mohammed Musah, I don't want to say beware because nothing has happened to make me think this is a dangerous or cunning operation. But I'm sure that these cases are related, and that it's better safe than sorry. So I'd avoid situations like this.

Thanks, Silver. I hope my story helps others. Heathrulez, the best advice I can give you is to not get suckered by these con artists. I certainly sympathize with what you're going through. If you have doubts, do some online research like I did. That's how I found out the truth about senior high schools in Ghana. There are always people in need, we can't help that. It's when they become too friendly too quickly that you need to doubt them. The term "con" in con man comes from the word "confidence" and that is what they try to gain from you before they strike. Even if you have some money, I think you should keep for your family. They have needs too. I hope you find this advice useful. You can check out this site for help:

www.report-online-scams.com (Thanks, Silver.)
    Last edited by whitshade; 07-08-2009 at 05:23 PM. Reason: something to add

thanks for sharing your story with me and I certainly hope that your story being told on multiple web sites will help others from being a victim of these scams.

Quote Originally Posted by whitshade View Post
    Thanks, Silver. I hope my story helps others. Heathrulez, the best advice I can give you is to not get suckered by these con artists. I certainly sympathize with what you're going through. If you have doubts, do some online research like I did. That's how I found out the truth about senior high schools in Ghana. There are always people in need, we can't help that. It's when they become too friendly too quickly that you need to doubt them. The term "con" in con man comes from the word "confidence" and that is what they try to gain from you before they strike. Even if you have some money, I think you should keep for your family. They have needs too. I hope you find this advice useful. You can check out this site for help:

www.report-online-scams.com (Thanks, Silver.)

Hi there!

Well, this stuff is known as Nigerian Letters. They are very common here in Spain, they disappear and show back from time to time.

Lots of people here have been / are being ripped-off.

Stay away from these 'boys who need money for school' as you would do from a bad disease!

Definitely a scam!!!

Good luck and greetings from Madrid!

Alejandro

Hi all....
    Such type of email also came to me asking for money and every time they have different reason for that..... in short don't believe in such email, all are scam....

http://ghanapolice.getafricaonline.com/

We often speak about the countries of the third world and often we forget about ourselves and our education. Now we discuss what the students from Ghana need money for schools, but we don't pay attention to that fact that the students in the US have too less time to learn all that size of information given them by the society! That's why I'm here to tell you that there are services such as https://ca.papersowl.com/scholarship...riting-service used by students to make everything in time. I feel like thinking about our country also because very soon countries that previously needed help will help us!