+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CR-V Scam?

CR-V Scam? Help please!

I found the following link for a 2007 CR-V in Cleveland, OH (notice in the photo there is no license plate):

http://secure.adpay.com/clicknbuy.as...itemid=3176431

The price is really low. I emailed the person and here's what they said:

Hello,

Sorry for the phone number listed in the ad and the late reply.
    The car is still for sale and my last price is $7,100. It hasn't been involved in any accidents or incidents and i have all the log books. I haven't experienced any mechanical/electrical problems with it.
    I had to relocate to United Kingdom a couple of weeks ago but the car is still in Cleveland. I can't registrate it here and that is the only reason i am selling it. I could come there to meet you if you are a serious buyer,because traveling is easy for me.
    Email me for any questions you may have.
    Thank you,
    Monica.
    P.S. I will send you more info and pics.
    Title: 2007 CR-V EX 4x4
    Mileage: 17,542 miles
    Vehicle title: Clear

Features

Body type: SUV
    Engine: 4 Cylinder
    Exterior color: Blue
    Transmission: Automatic
    Fuel type: Gasoline
    Interior color: Gray

Standard Equipment

EXTERIOR

* Daytime Running Lights
    * Power Driver Mirror
    * Power Passenger Mirror
    * Privacy Glass
    * Intermittent Wipers
    * Variable Speed Intermittent Wipers
    * Power Tilt/Sliding Sunroof
    * Sun/Moon Roof

INTERIOR

* Front Floor Mats
    * Steering Wheel Controls
    * Adjustable Steering Wheel
    * Rear Seat Heat Ducts
    * A/C
    * Vehicle Anti-Theft System
    * Cruise Control
    * Keyless Entry
    * Power Door Locks

* Power Windows
    * Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    * Rear Defrost
    * Pass-Through Rear Seat
    * Front Reading Lamps
    * Driver Vanity Mirror
    * Passenger Vanity Mirror
    * Auxiliary Pwr Outlet
    * AM/FM Stereo
    * CD Changer
    * CD Player
    * MP3 Player
    * Auxiliary Audio Input
    * Cloth Seats
    * Bucket Seats

MECHANICAL

* Tires - Front All-Season
    * Tires - Rear All-Season
    * 5-Speed A/T

* A/T
    * Traction Control
    * Electronic Stability Control
    * Four Wheel Drive
    * 4 Cylinder Engine
    * Gasoline Fuel
    * Brake Assist
    * 4-Wheel ABS
    * 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
    * Power Steering
    * Aluminum Wheels

SAFETY

* Child Safety Locks
    * Side Head Air Bag
    * Passenger Air Bag On/Off Switch
    * Side Air Bag
    * Driver Air Bag
    * Passenger Air Bag

I wrote back and asked for the Vin# and said I wanted to have a mechanic look at it. I haven't heard back yet (It's been about a day). After reading about the specific scams out there for autos I will only buy this car if:

a) This person meets with me at a Honda dealer that can assess the car
    b) The vin# checks out with carfax, no accidents and NOT stolen!
    c)The person trades the title for a check from me directly.

I also asked in another email I just sent to have her take a photo of the Vin# and email me a fax of the title.

What more can I do to protect myself?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

~Chris
    Last edited by artisticwit; 06-19-2009 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Forgot something
    Illustrator/Graphic Designer
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Re: CR-V Scam?

don't buy cars long distance. that person may convince you to go thru an escrow service, but it will be faked escrow.

its not likely they can fax you copy of title because its not likely they have the car. just pictures of a car is all they sell.

never use western union or moneygram for transactions like this. its the same as sending cash thru mail. its just gone, nobody knows where.

nobody sells a car below value to stranger. maybe to a family member you want to help, but not to stranger.

another reason nobody sells cars below book value is, the cars are financed and the finance company wants all of their money, not part of it.

BTW - all the crooks have just been transferred to UK, or someplace and can't register their car.
    Last edited by mumbles; 06-19-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Thank you for responding in such a timely manner! That helps me. I'm not planning on doing any business through ebay or any money transfer bank or system.

I just got an email back saying the following:

Hello,
    As i told you in my first e-mail i am in UK (Enlgand)
    right now.
    We just moved into a new house and i didn't get a phone line instaled yet, email works just fine with me. So please feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding the car.
    We stayed only for a short time in Cleveland, so i didn't really had someone to trust the car with and i had to garage it. I am sorry but i am the only one who has access to it.
    Travelling is not a problem because i work for Delta Air. I just want to be sure that you are serious about buying the car before i start making arrangements.
    Thank you,
    Monica.
    P.S.I have all the papers of the car in the States where the car is garaged so i don't have the VIN or the engine number with me sorry ..but you can have them first thing when we meet.
    www.artisticschmidt.net

My advice, check with you local Honda dealer how much would he give for this car. If he gives more than $8,000, do not even bother continue corresponding with this girl/guy.

And you know what? I checked trade in value in New Jersey for Honda Cr-V EX Good Condition.
    And trade in value is $18,775. Even in the worst case they will give you $15,000 for it.

This is scam. Nobody will sell you you car twice as cheap as he would get from dealer.

BTW - all the crooks have just been transferred to UK, or someplace and can't register their car.
    Very true. All these scams have the same constant. They either got job in Europe or serving in the Army.

Those are definitely good points! Thanks for the input.

I know that the car is worth ALOT more than what this gal is asking for. Here's what I wrote back to her email:

Hi Monica,

Thank you for getting back to me. I understand that you are in the UK now. Email will work fine for us also. Where area did you live in Cleveland? What city is the car being stored in?

We are 100% serious about buying as long as you are willing to fly here and meet in person with my wife and I. We can meet at a Honda dealer in the Cleveland area to have the CR-V inspected. How soon do you think you would be able to fly here? We can set up an exact time and location once I know where the car is and when you can be in town. I will try to make this as easy as possible for you. We will bring you the check and get the car. We will need the Vin# and Title# (if it's available) sometime before we meet so that we can get the loan started and have a check ready to go.

A couple questions:

Is the car currently being financed? I'd like to know this so we can tell our lender who they'll need to correspond with. Do you have the title for the car in the states? Did you buy the car new?

I look forward to hearing more and meeting with you soon.

Talk soon, Chris

I'll see what she says about meeting. There is no way I'd do anything without having the car checked out and making sure the cars vin# checks out and it isn't stolen. I know some police officers that can check into it. Right now I'm just playing it out to see what happens.

In the mean time I am looking for other cars from actual dealers.

Thanks!
    www.artisticschmidt.net

After I sent the last email the seller took down the ad on Cleveland Classifieds. I assume that they saw that I was posting stuff on here about them.

http://secure.adpay.com/clicknbuy.as...itemid=3176431
    (It says "Item not found or Item inactive."

Thanks for the help!

Fight the power!

~Chris
    www.artisticschmidt.net

I know for a fact this is a scam because we received the exact same wording to a response on a totally different car in a different city! Stay away from this person. Avoid any ad where the price is too good to be true. Nobody gives their cars away. Although I do wish someone would. Take care - Beware.

yet another cr-v scam!

Hi guys! i'm new to the forum and i accidentally stumbled upon this website after almost being scammed::madgo: i had a really bad gut feeling about the situation so i googled the person and i came across this website!:yelcutelaughA: thank God! but you know what the sad thing is? i was gonna get scammed twice. i was looking for a CR-V on *****slist.org and just my luck i found two that were too good to be true. i had no idea these kind of scams were going on online. i'm a little naive but not stupid. i feel so angry:madgo::2gunsfiring_v1: that these people would do this but i'll post the emails they sent so you guys see what i'm talking about....
    (this was the first offer that responded to me)
    Hi,
    First of all i would like to give you some additional information about my situation . I am selling this car because my battalion has been sent back to Afghanistan and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before February 22. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title , clear, under my name. The HONDA has 47,500 original miles VIN#JHLRD78844C021892.
    It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,700. The car is in Seattle WA, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back. Below are the car details and also link with more photos,if the link doesn't work,copy and paste it into a new browser page.
    Regards!!

2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD
    Vehicle title: Clear
    Body type: SUV
    Engine: 2.4L L4 PFI DOHC
    Exterior color: Black
    Transmission: Automatic
    Fuel type: Gasoline
    Interior color: Gray
    You can find more pics at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/miryarmen/2004HONDACRV#

Dr. Julie Thompson

(I can't believe i totally fell for that bogus story!!:judges:)
    I told her i wanted to meet her but she gave me the same old story of how she couldn't call blah blah blah. I actually saw this story on here so people probably know about her.
    After i posted an ad in *****slist about her cr-v scam she never wrote back to me and actually changed her email. this is what is said:

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

juliethompson2002@gmail.com"

I looked at another offer on a 2001 CR-V by someone named "Karla Madison" who seemed to be in NY but she emailed back saying she got a job in Miami FL.

Hi,
    Thanks for being interested in buying my car! It's in perfect condition, no scratches, damages and never been implicated in any accidents. The price is $2,900. It comes with a new set of winter tires and it has never been smoked in. Because of my divorce settlement, I own this car and as a woman without driver`s license I don't need it so i'm trying to get rid of it as soon as possible (that`s why i'm selling it so cheap). We will use eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection plan for our both safety, I want only legit transactions. Let me know where are you located and any other details you need about it.
    Have a great day!

(This is another emailed she sent the next day after i asked to meet her)

I'm located in Miami, Florida (the car is here with me) right now because I got a new job here, the thing is i'm very busy and I don't have time to stay and meet with all my potential buyers, that is why I gave to a shipping company that will ship it to the next owner (on my cost), so i'm trying to sell it online under eBay`s protection. Here is how it works:
    The sale will be managed through eBay under their Vehicle Purchase Protection program since they offer the highest rate of safety and reliability during online transactions. They act as a neutral third party.
    1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
    2. They will email us the forms which are needed for our deal (invoice, payment instructions, buyer's and seller's protection policy)
    3. You will send the money to eBay and they will notify me to ship the car to your location.
    4. After you will inspect the car and decide to keep it, eBay will forward the funds to me once you have approved them to do so. You will have 5 days to inspect it.
    Please reply with your complete name and shipping address in your next email and let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about this purchase so that I can open a transaction at eBay and to move forward with this deal. After that they will contact you with all necessary information about this transaction (terms,buyer protection,payment instructions,invoice,etc).

P.S. Please don't forget to send me your full name and address.
    Karla Madison
    3987 El Prado Blvd
    Miami, FL 33133

(This scammer actually sent me an itemized description of my purchase through ebay motors. everything looked so real! i really wish i could post it here so you guys would see it. The address below was what the scammer said i should do next to recieve my vehicle).

Payment must be sent through Western Union service to our verified agent below:

First Name: Michael
    Last Name: Leonard
    Street: 9911 Carnegie Dr
    City/State: Dallas, TX
    Zip code: 75228

I actually emailed back telling him/her that i knew it was a scammer and how happy i was that i made him waste his time sending all that stuff to me (even though i wasted my own time) and that i would track him down. this is what he sent back:

"Ok, if you can tell me where I am I will quit and get a real job :P"

Thanks

BEWARE of these Scams!

I can't believe my luck! 2 car offers and they were both scams. at least i didn't fall for them.
    (sorry for the long dialogue everyone! lol:spin2:)