+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What one of the last survivors of Auschwitz says..

Auschwitz survivor: "I can identify with Palestinian youth"

Hajo Meyer (Christiane Tilanus)

June 2, 2009

Hajo Meyer, author of the book The End of Judaism, was born in Bielefeld, in Germany, in 1924. In 1939, he fled on his own at age 14 to the Netherlands to escape the Nazi regime, and was unable to attend school. A year later, when the Germans occupied the Netherlands he lived in hiding with a poorly forged ID. Meyer was captured by the Gestapo in March 1944 and deported to the Auschwitz concentration camp a week later. He is one of the last survivors of Auschwitz.

Adri Nieuwhof:What would you like to say to introduce yourself to EI's readers?

Hajo Meyer: I had to quit grammar school in Bielefeld after the Kristallnacht [the two-day pogrom against Jews in Nazi Germany], in November 1938. It was a terrible experience for an inquisitive boy and his parents. Therefore, I can fully identify with the Palestinian youth that are hampered in their education. And I can in no way identify with the criminals who make it impossible for Palestinian youth to be educated.

AN: What motivated you to write your book, The End of Judaism?

HM: In the past, the European media have written extensively about extreme right-wing politicians like Joerg Haider in Austria and Jean-Marie Le Pen in France. But when Ariel Sharon was elected [prime minister] in Israel in 2001, the media remained silent. But in the 1980s I understood the deeply fascist thinking of these politicians. With the book I wanted to distance myself from this. I was raised in Judaism with the equality of relationships among human beings as a core value. I only learned about nationalist Judaism when I heard settlers defend their harassment of Palestinians in interviews. When a publisher asked me to write about my past, I decided to write this book, in a way, to deal with my past. People of one group who dehumanize people who belong to another group can do this, because they either have learned to do so from their parents, or they have been brainwashed by their political leaders. This has happened for decades in Israel in that they manipulate the Holocaust for their political aims. In the long-run the country is destructing itself this way by inducing their Jewish citizens to become paranoid. In 2005 [then Prime Minister Ariel] Sharon illustrated this by saying in the Knesset [the Israeli parliament], we know we cannot trust anyone, we only can trust ourselves. This is the shortest possible definition of somebody who suffers from clinical paranoia. One of the major annoyances in my life is that Israel by means of trickery calls itself a Jewish state, while in fact it is Zionist. It wants the maximum territory with a minimum number of Palestinians. I have four Jewish grandparents. I am an atheist. I share the Jewish socio-cultural inheritance and I have learned about Jewish ethics. I don't wish to be represented by a Zionist state. They have no idea about the Holocaust. They use the Holocaust to implant paranoia in their children.

AN: In your book you write about the lessons you have learned from your past. Can you explain how your past influenced your perception of Israel and Palestine?

HM: I have never been a Zionist. After the war, Zionist Jews spoke about the miracle of having "our own country." As a confirmed atheist I thought, if this is a miracle by God, I wished that he had performed the smallest miracle imaginable by creating the state 15 years earlier. Then my parents would not have been dead.

I can write up an endless list of similarities between Nazi Germany and Israel. The capturing of land and property, denying people access to educational opportunities and restricting access to earn a living to destroy their hope, all with the aim to chase people away from their land. And what I personally find more appalling then dirtying one's hands by killing people, is creating circumstances where people start to kill each other. Then the distinction between victims and perpetrators becomes faint. By sowing discord in a situation where there is no unity, by enlarging the gap between people -- like Israel is doing in Gaza.

AN: In your book you write about the role of Jews in the peace movement in and outside Israel, and Israeli army refuseniks. How do you value their contribution?

HM: Of course it is positive that parts of the Jewish population of Israel try to see Palestinians as human beings and as their equals. However, it disturbs me how paper-thin the number is that protests and is truly anti-Zionist. We get worked up by what happened in Hitler's Germany. If you expressed only the slightest hint of criticism at that time, you ended up in the Dachau concentration camp. If you expressed criticism, you were dead. Jews in Israel have democratic rights. They can protest in the streets, but they don't.

AN: Can you comment on the news that Israeli ministers approved a draft law banning commemoration of the Nakba, or the dispossession of historic Palestine? The law proposes punishment of up to three years in prison.

HM: It is so racist, so dreadful. I am at a loss for words. It is an expression of what we already know. [The Israeli Nakba commemoration organization] Zochrot was founded to counteract Israeli efforts to wipe out the marks that are a reminder of Palestinian life. To forbid Palestinians to publicly commemorate the Nakba. ... they cannot act in a more Nazi-like, fascist way. Maybe it will help to awaken the world.

AN: What are your plans for the future?

HM: [Laughs] Do you know how old I am? I am almost 85 years old. I always say cynically and with self-mockery that I have a choice: either I am always tired because I want to do so much, or I am going to sit still waiting for the time to go by. Well, I plan to be tired, because I have still so much to say.

http://uruknet.info/?p=m54797&hd=&size=1&l=e
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Re: What one of the last survivors of Auschwitz sa

Thanks,

I have also read somewhere that many in Israel would like to speak out but they are under a military propaganda state.

It is a shame the world does not see Israel for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by myglobalresults View Post
    Thanks,

I have also read somewhere that many in Israel would like to speak out but they are under a military propaganda state.

It is a shame the world does not see Israel for what it is.
    'Tis all smoke and mirrors.

Never underestimate the sheer impact that the one sided portrayal in the news can have on people.

Even great acts of evil can be 'justified' in the minds of the masses, if the media and spin doc's have done their jobs properly, and sufficiently degraded and dehumanised the 'enemy'.

Those that do see what is going on, and who call it like it really is, are often met with accusations of being anti semite, but really, these are just a smear, and anyone intellligent would see through such a thing.

I would say that the word of one of the last survivors in that place is worth a million times what ANYONE on here could write, myself included, yet the usual suspects are a little quiet, perhaps they have not yet thought of a way to discredit him..?

Come on, you know who you all are - :judges:

Par for the course Steve...

You never fail to disappoint... Genocide Boy, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post

I see that you did not dissect what the author was saying. All you have is a fleeting insult which adds nothing to the conversation. How about addressing what the author is saying instead of just being insulting.

What gives you the right to call anyone genocide boy, without comment?

All YWFT did was copy an article, and all you have is an insult.

Nice job Grim.

You never fail to disappoint.

Howdy bang on,

Did you know the founder of Zionism encouraged anti-Semitism as a way to manipulate us?
    “It is essential that the sufferings of Jews. . . become worse. . . this will assist in realization of our plans. . . I have an excellent idea. . . I shall induce anti-semites to liquidate Jewish wealth. . . The anti-semites will assist us thereby in that they will strengthen the persecution and oppression of Jews. The anti-semites shall be our best friends”
    -- Theodor Herzl, Founder of Zionism in 1897

*Yawns*

As per usual, you don't even bother to address the article, opting instead for the usual ad hom attacks.

Well done.

Howdy bang on,

Did you know the founder of Zionism encouraged anti-Semitism as a way to manipulate us?
    Ah, are you Jewish?

It reads that way.

Now, if you are Jewish, you do realise that by what you have just written, Grim, detached from reality that he is, will conclude that you are a 'Jew hater'.

It's what he does.

It's all he can do.

Stick around, and you will see for yourself, mate, if you haven't already.

The Israeli society is no different than any other..
    Racism exists all over the world. IMHO, the Israeli government for its own political reasons, addresses the Palestinian problem the way it wants to. That doesnt mean to say that Israeli's are not opposed to their policies or actions. Did all Americans support the Iraq war? Do all Iranians hate America? Do all Palestinians side with Hamas? Governments act in their own interest, not necessarily their peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by steve burns View Post
    Governments act in their own interest, not necessarily their peoples.
    Absolutely.

I would have gone as far as to say that they always act in their own interests, and almost never on behalf of the people, or to their long term benefit.

It is not to the long term benefit of the Israeli people that their Governments behave they way they have.

It is not to the long term benefit of the people that Hamas have behave the way they do.

It was definitely not to the benefit of US people that the US got themselves into Vietnam, and Iraq.

People need to lay their so called political allegiance aside, realise that we are ALL being farmed and shaped.

Only then will we have an awakening, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then View Post
    *Yawns*

As per usual, you don't even bother to address the article, opting instead for the usual ad hom attacks.

Well done.
    I'm not obsessed with the Jooooos like you are Steve. They are just people, and singling them out day in and day out as you do, reflects your beliefs no matter what excuse you give.

Carry on.

I'm not obsessed with the Jooooos like you are Steve. They are just people, and singling them out day in and day out as you do, reflects your beliefs no matter what excuse you give.

Carry on.

No.

You are obsessed with trawling the posts of others, attacking them, and not the content of the article which they post.

I think most people on here would regard the article in the OP as relevant, given the source, or do you dismiss the source?

In fact, don't bother answering, Grimmy, for that will be the third post on this thread in which you say something, while actually saying nothing.

YWFT

I find it interesting how the # of people who have lost there lives has changed over the years by Millions. Isn't that kind of strange?

Killing millions of humans and disposing off their remains in any form is a formidable task. There should be a massive amount of forensic evidence. Where is it?

Why are there no investigations allowed?

I find it interesting how the # of people who have lost there lives has changed over the years by Millions. Isn't that kind of strange?

Killing millions of humans and disposing off their remains in any form is a formidable task. There should be a massive amount of forensic evidence. Where is it?

Why are there no investigations allowed?
    i'm not sure which numbers you are referring to, but to the best of my knowledge, no claims of numbers exceeding 350,000 exterminated has ever been made for any one of the death camps.

mass graves and furnaces is where the bodies ended up.

there have been numerous investigations and the Nazis kept good records. denial of the holocaust makes about as much sense as any of the other rhetoric that comes spewing out of the white supremacist warmongerers --- none.

in the face of all the mass murder that has occurred and still occurs today, i find it difficult to understand the reasoning people use to deny the holocaust the jews experienced.

of course we can deny the 10's of millions of poles, russians and chinese slaughtered by hitler, stalin and mao.

and then who bothers to count in africa, south america or australia. after all, those are only savages that get killed there; hardly human at all.

and let us not forget the millions of native americans that had to be eliminated to make room for all of us or maybe the 7 million southeast asians we whacked losing that war.

you think we're up to a million iraqis yet?

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

The Israeli society is no different than any other..
    Racism exists all over the world. IMHO, the Israeli government for its own political reasons, addresses the Palestinian problem the way it wants to. That doesnt mean to say that Israeli's are not opposed to their policies or actions. Did all Americans support the Iraq war? Do all Iranians hate America? Do all Palestinians side with Hamas? Governments act in their own interest, not necessarily their peoples.
    Well, somebody still can see the light - right on the money! Thanks...
    Vasudeva

Did all Americans support the Iraq war? Do all Iranians hate America? Do all Palestinians side with Hamas? Governments act in their own interest, not necessarily their peoples.
    And when they go rogue we sanction them and try to pressure them into acting like responsible global citizens.... just like we did with N Korea, Iran, Iraq and Isra...... hey...... wait a minute!
    Warning: Facts are like acid to the skin of Republicans.