+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 57

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    219

    science and the bible

    answersingenesis.org

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    522

    Re: science and the bible

    At least make it a hyperlink...

    answersingenesis.org

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    432

    Re: science and the bible

    "answersingenesis.org"

    Ken Ham is from the school of thought that if you repeat a lie often enough, it will become truth.

    He has been fully debunked but, yet he continues to spew forth lies and mistruths to the faithful. No one who knows anything about science lends any credibility to the bible thumping moron.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    66

    Re: science and the bible

    Science and the Bible. I generally believe the two to be mutually exclusive. One being based on fact, and the other being based on faith.
    Science; you believe things based on the scientific method, and reproducable experimental data.
    The Bible; you believe without proof, and it is open to interpretation.
    I think this thread should be named Science and religion. Don't limit the discussion to the belief of God and Jesus, then we can include Environmentalism and other non-mainstream belief systems as well.
    Is the purpose of this chat to discuss correlations, or dissimilarities in the two subjects? Because I believe the goal of each is the same; to explain God.
    Last edited by nbfitz; 04-19-2006 at 01:28 AM. Reason: puncuation

  5. #5
    Greatmusic03 Guest

    Re: science and the bible

    1. Synik, please list some examples... your statements can only be proved if you list examples. otherwise they are just opinions.
    2. nbfitz, Science is MOSTLY based on fact and the scientific method. However, the greatest area of dissagreement between the Bible and "Science" as we are taught today, meaning evolution, is the issue of how the world began. However, if you use the scientific method you will never come to an answer because it has already happened and, if you do not count the Bible account, it was not witnessed by anyone. It also can not be repeated in a laboratory. Therefore the scientific method and science can not prove anything about the origin of the world.
    3. nbfitz, if there is a God and he did create the world then it is most likely that he is a whole lot more powerful and knowledgable than we are. It would make sense then that we may never be able to actually prove in our small minds that he exists. Therefore science can not and should not be trying to prove that God exists. Instead, maybe we should focus on understanding our world better in order to use it and protect it more efficiently instead of wasting millions of dollars every year trying to prove the "fact" of evolution or creation. Because science can not prove it, it really is a waste of time. They are both only theories no matter what some grade school teacher or professor told you!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    66

    Re: science and the bible

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatmusic03
    1. Synik, please list some examples... your statements can only be proved if you list examples. otherwise they are just opinions.
    2. nbfitz, Science is MOSTLY based on fact and the scientific method. However, the greatest area of dissagreement between the Bible and "Science" as we are taught today, meaning evolution, is the issue of how the world began. However, if you use the scientific method you will never come to an answer because it has already happened and, if you do not count the Bible account, it was not witnessed by anyone. It also can not be repeated in a laboratory. Therefore the scientific method and science can not prove anything about the origin of the world.
    3. nbfitz, if there is a God and he did create the world then it is most likely that he is a whole lot more powerful and knowledgable than we are. It would make sense then that we may never be able to actually prove in our small minds that he exists. Therefore science can not and should not be trying to prove that God exists. Instead, maybe we should focus on understanding our world better in order to use it and protect it more efficiently instead of wasting millions of dollars every year trying to prove the "fact" of evolution or creation. Because science can not prove it, it really is a waste of time. They are both only theories no matter what some grade school teacher or professor told you!
    As far as science being based MOSTLY on fact and the scientific method, your right. There is also peer review, and individual interpretation. I disagree that the scientific method can not prove anything about th origin of the world, it was created the same way that every other planet was created. All we need do is observe what happens in a solar system that is still forming.
    I believe that there is a God, (you'll notice I use a capital letter whenever I use the word), I don't believe any religions. I think that they are all attempts to explain what is unknown, and to control the behavior of people.
    I don't call God he or she because that is an attempt by man to create God in our own image. I don't believe that god created the Universe, I believe that God is the Universe, which means that you, me, our fellow humans, all the other creatures, the Earth, the Moon, the Sun, and everything else in the Universe is part of God. I did not say that science and religion are trying to prove that God exists, I said that they are both attempts to explain God. I hope that you can see what I mean, now that you know my point of view.
    My point of view did not come from a teacher, proffessor, preacher, or anyone else. It is my theory and it came from my own tiny little mind.
    Last edited by nbfitz; 04-19-2006 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Left out something

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    26,288

    Re: science and the bible

    Quote Originally Posted by nbfitz
    As far as science being based MOSTLY on fact and the scientific method, your right. There is also peer review, and individual interpretation. I disagree that the scientific method can not prove anything about th origin of the world, it was created the same way that every other planet was created. All we need do is observe what happens in a solar system that is still forming.
    I believe that there is a God, (you'll notice I use a capital letter whenever I use the word), I don't believe any religions. I think that they are all attempts to explain what is unknown, and to control the behavior of people.
    I don't call God he or she because that is an attempt by man to create God in our own image. I don't believe that god created the Universe, I believe that God is the Universe, which means that you, me, our fellow humans, all the other creatures, the Earth, the Moon, the Sun, and everything else in the Universe is part of God. I did not say that science and religion are trying to prove that God exists, I said that they are both attempts to explain God. I hope that you can see what I mean, now that you know my point of view.
    My point of view did not come from a teacher, proffessor, preacher, or anyone else. It is my theory and it came from my own tiny little mind.
    this is very good stuff!?hehe!!so i then have to ask!?I"M THE LEXX YOU SEE!?(someone has to be the lexx!?)hehe!!and if you are correct!?what the H E L L are you doin postin here considerin the PLIGHT of the PLANET and it's INHABITANTS!?excuse me for askin!?hehe!!if the oxymoron is not apparent to yourself then...............FORGET IT!?cause i for SURE aint no SAINT!?(i'm just "the lexx")really good tv series,by the way,by an by,just askin!?hehe!!
    Last edited by lexx; 04-22-2006 at 06:32 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    432

    Re: science and the bible

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatmusic03
    1. Synik, please list some examples... your statements can only be proved if you list examples. otherwise they are just opinions.
    2. nbfitz, Science is MOSTLY based on fact and the scientific method. However, the greatest area of dissagreement between the Bible and "Science" as we are taught today, meaning evolution, is the issue of how the world began. However, if you use the scientific method you will never come to an answer because it has already happened and, if you do not count the Bible account, it was not witnessed by anyone. It also can not be repeated in a laboratory. Therefore the scientific method and science can not prove anything about the origin of the world.
    3. nbfitz, if there is a God and he did create the world then it is most likely that he is a whole lot more powerful and knowledgable than we are. It would make sense then that we may never be able to actually prove in our small minds that he exists. Therefore science can not and should not be trying to prove that God exists. Instead, maybe we should focus on understanding our world better in order to use it and protect it more efficiently instead of wasting millions of dollars every year trying to prove the "fact" of evolution or creation. Because science can not prove it, it really is a waste of time. They are both only theories no matter what some grade school teacher or professor told you!
    Greatmusic03,

    First, before you start giving equal weight to Creation/ID or any other concept, you need to understand what a "Theory" is in the world of science.

    (from the Panda's Thumb...cause they say it better):

    The word theory, in the context of science, does not imply uncertainty. It means "a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena" (Barnhart 1948). In the case of the theory of evolution, the following are some of the phenomena involved. All are facts:

    - Life appeared on earth more than two billion years ago;

    - Life forms have changed and diversified over life's history;

    - Species are related via common descent from one or a few common ancestors;

    Natural selection is a significant factor affecting how species change.
    Many other facts are explained by the theory of evolution as well.

    The theory of evolution has proved itself in practice. It has useful applications in epidemiology, pest control, drug discovery, and other areas (Bull and Wichman 2001; Eisen and Wu 2002; Searls 2003).

    Besides the theory, there is the fact of evolution, the observation that life has changed greatly over time. The fact of evolution was recognized even before Darwin's theory. The theory of evolution explains the fact.

    Creation/ID is not a "Theory", it's a religious concept. It is without supporting data, it is not testable or falsifiable and it cannot make predictions. Even one of its leading proponents, M. Behe, testified in Dover that it is not a science.

    Regarding Answers In Genesis...a few of examples:

    - 2nd Law of Thermodynamics -
    - Age of the Earth, Radiometric Dating
    - Transitional Fossils

    It's up to you to do your own research.

    www.answersingenesis.com
    http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html
    http://www.pandasthumb.org/

    When you're done maybe you can explain how all those dinosaurs got on the ark and which ones breathed fire.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    66

    Re: science and the bible

    Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    this is very good stuff!?hehe!!so i then have to ask!?I"M THE LEXX YOU SEE!?(someone has to be the lexx!?)hehe!!and if you are correct!?what the H E L L are you doin postin here considerin the PLIGHT of the PLANET and it's INHABITANTS!?excuse me for askin!?hehe!!if the oxymoron is not apparent to yourself then...............FORGET IT!?cause i for SURE aint no SAINT!?(i'm just "the lexx")really good tv series,by the way,by an by,just askin!?hehe!!
    After deciphering your post I have determined that you may have problems communicating your thoughts. But after carefull consideration I do believe I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    and if you are correct!?what the H E L L are you doin postin here considerin the PLIGHT of the PLANET and it's INHABITANTS!?
    I believe here that you think I think of myself to be
    godlike, since were all part of God, and that I should be out healing the sick, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, so on and so forth. I can assure you that is not what I think, and I am as powerless as anyone else. As far as being correct, I have no idea, its just my theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    if the oxymoron is not apparent to yourself then...............FORGET IT!?cause i for SURE aint no SAINT!?
    Here you are refering to your original thought that I think I am godlike, so if I am why am I not fixing the planet. But I don't think I am godlike, so its not an oxymoron. Unless you are refering to how such a huge theory came from such a tiny little mind, which I must admit not all of it did. I started thinking about it after reading a book by Depack Chopra. And if I led anyone to think that I think I am a saint, you got the wrong impression, because if there is a line for sainthood, I'm probably somewhere far behind you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    432

    Re: science and the bible

    Reel him in Lexx....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    66

    Re: science and the bible

    I'm going to change my name to thread killer!!!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: science and the bible

    Quote Originally Posted by Synik
    2nd Law of Thermodynamics
    What about it?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    432

    Re: science and the bible

    They myth that Evolution violates the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. That's one of the big Creations lines....although not true, they still like to throw it out to those who don't know the truth.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: science and the bible

    Quote Originally Posted by Synik
    They myth that Evolution violates the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. That's one of the big Creations lines....although not true, they still like to throw it out to those who don't know the truth.
    Oh right, yeah. Good stuff.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    219

    Re: science and the bible

    if you went to that link and looked at it you would find science and the bible are not mutually exclusive. When a woman has her period, science has found her immune system goes way down, so when the bible prohibits sexual relations when a woman has her period, that is a good thing. Now how would people living back then have any way of knowing that? they wouldn't, but the bible did.


    Quote Originally Posted by nbfitz
    Science and the Bible. I generally believe the two to be mutually exclusive. One being based on fact, and the other being based on faith.
    Science; you believe things based on the scientific method, and reproducable experimental data.
    The Bible; you believe without proof, and it is open to interpretation.
    I think this thread should be named Science and religion. Don't limit the discussion to the belief of God and Jesus, then we can include Environmentalism and other non-mainstream belief systems as well.
    Is the purpose of this chat to discuss correlations, or dissimilarities in the two subjects? Because I believe the goal of each is the same; to explain God.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    432

    Re: science and the bible

    Yes, I'm sure God thought long and hard about that one. No pun intended.

    Maybe someone just thought..."Yecchtt!...I'm not doing that!"

    Why is it that everything has to be by some type of divine province??? You really are grasping as straws.

Similar Threads

  1. Science Channel Support our Science Contest?
    By Contest Scams in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 05:57 PM
  2. Proof of Bible Science
    By tomInAustin in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 235
    Last Post: 03-19-2015, 02:26 AM
  3. The Bible and science in the year 2012
    By TerryP in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 07:34 PM
  4. Even the bible says she must go.
    By Old Timer in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 02:05 PM
  5. NASA piling garbage science on science fraud
    By aguest in forum Science Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
000, 2001, ???, ????, ??????, ???????, ??????????, accepted, account, accurate, act, action, address, admit, admitted, age, agen, ain, aint, allowed, allowing, animals, another, answer, appeared, appears, area, art, ation, attempts, bad, balance, base, based, bears, bet, better, bible, big, billion, block, blogs, blood, bomb, book, brain, break, building, bull, called, cannot, capital, case, center, cer, challenge, chance, characteristics, claim, claims, class, clear, clever, clo, close, co-op, coin, coins, comments, common, community, completely, complex, components, con, concerned, condi, conditioning, confirmed, conflict of interest, continues, conversation, correct, correction, count, crap, credibility, crowd, culture, cure, day, days, dead, debate, debunked, description, design, development, devil, didn, differences, direction, disease, disputed, divine, dna, doesn, dollars, dolphins, don, dont, dow, dropped, drug, duck, due, dumped, duplication, ear, earlier, early, earth, economic, editing, effects, ells, eme, empirical, ended, equity, event, examples, exercise, exists, experience, experts, explained, extra, eye, eyes, factor, facts, factual, fails, faithful, fall, fear, feature, fed, feeling, figures, finds, fits, fla, flat, floor, focus, followers, forget, formula, forward, front, fully, future, gain, gals, general, genie, germ, give, god, good, great, greatest, ground, group, growing, guy, ham, hand, hands, happened, har, hard, hated, heads, healing, healthy, heart, hey, high, highly, his, horizon, horse, html, huge, huma, human, humans, hyperlink, ica, ignorance, ignore, ill, image, ime, immune, important, inch, include, inheritance, inherited, institutes, interest, involved, involves, ion, issue, item, joke, kidding, killer, kind, king, knew, lake, large, last, latest, leading, les, lesser, lessons, letter, lexx, limits, line, lines, lis, list, listen, living, long, longer, loose, los, lot, main, mainstream, making, malfunction, mankind, massive, master, matter, mea, medical, method, million, millions, mind, minutes, model, moon, more, moron, mount, muscles, myth, named, nasty, nation, nature, ner, net, numbers, odds, open, order, ordered, org, original, page, paper, part, partner, pas, people, perfect, personality, personally, pest control, place, plane, play, point, poke, popular, pos, pose, post, posted, potential, predicted, predictions, principles, probability, process, profit, proof, proposals, protect, prove, proved, proven, pun, question, quote, random, real, reason, related, religious, remember, research, response, rest, results, riches, ridiculous, risk, robinson, role, room, row, run, safe, safety, saint, scenario, school, science, scientists, search, sense, set, sexual, shock, short, shouldn, showed, shows, sign, simple, simply, site, small, solar, soo, sorry, soup, source, sources, speed, spiritual, split, star, start, starting, state, stated, story, stream, suitable, sun, supported, supporting, supports, suppose, surfaces, survive, system, systems, taken, takes, talk, tan, teacher, ted, tells, test, testing, text, theory, they, thought, thread, throw, time, times, today, told, trailer, trap, trillion, truth, universe, url, usual, validate, verify, vice, view, viola, vital, wait, walk, wary, waste, watching, weeks, woma, won, wont, working, world, write, wrong, year, years, young

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •