+ Reply to Thread

need help identifying this possible scam

My boyfriend was loosly describing something to me which he thought was called 'prepaid merchandising or marketing' not exacly sure what this is but I figure its a scam of some sort. This is how someone descibed it to him and how he later descibed it to me
    You pay a one time fee (I think) of $50. You go to one or two meetings a week than work at home on your computer for an hour a day. After three sales you become a manager of some sort. He was never told exactly what it was you sold. Somehow bringing people to meetings nets you $100 I think. This was all kinda foggy to him and me. Its prepaid something. He was told you could make a ton of money and didnt have to do anything. haha writting it out makes it seem clearer to me...so anyone, any idea what this could be?

also, he was told this has been popular in europe for awhile and it just now hit the states.
    Last edited by berrybunches; 04-14-2006 at 04:08 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Re: need help identifying this possible scam

What you've described below doesn't seem like a scam at first glance. If they have a web site, then perhaps you could check them out like that.

Legitimate MLMs/Network Marketing companies don't pay you to recruit people into the business - all commissions are based on product volume. So-called 'Fast Start' bonuses often appear to be 'Head Hunting', but if they are still based on product volume then that's OK.

You can find more information about MLM due diligence at MLM Watchdog

Hope this helps

NICK TURNER

Quote Originally Posted by berrybunches
    My boyfriend was loosly describing something to me which he thought was called 'prepaid merchandising or marketing' not exacly sure what this is but I figure its a scam of some sort. This is how someone descibed it to him and how he later descibed it to me

You pay a one time fee (I think) of $50. You go to one or two meetings a week than work at home on your computer for an hour a day. After three sales you become a manager of some sort. He was never told exactly what it was you sold. Somehow bringing people to meetings nets you $100 I think. This was all kinda foggy to him and me. Its prepaid something. He was told you could make a ton of money and didnt have to do anything. haha writting it out makes it seem clearer to me...so anyone, any idea what this could be?

also, he was told this has been popular in europe for awhile and it just now hit the states.

If your boyfriend went to an opportunity meeting and is still not even sure what the product is.... that's a big red flag.
    I do not believe that MLM/Network Marketing is a bad business model. I believe it's the shady people in MLM that make it LOOK bad. As long as you work hard, run your business ethically, and work with ethical people, then MLM can help you reach your financial goals... whether it's just to make extra money on the side or a full-time income.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with years of experience."

Pink Zebra Sprinkles

This sounds like a definite scam to me, I'd like to know more though.

SCAM, SCAM,SCAM,,,,don't think about it don't get involved.....RUN with your money still in your pocket.

No clear idea as to the product sold? Recruit more people? Easy money?

No, my friend.....this is a MLM business IF they sell a product. It is a pyramid and as such, is illegal, if they do not sell a product.

Either way.... your chance of making money is very, very, small. You are at the bottom of the food chain.

I would advise.....DON'T DO IT!!!

GH