+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I was baptized 30 years ago today!

I was baptized Sabbath, June 9, 1979 in Toledo, Ohio - an unbelievable 30 years ago today! My minister was George Kackos. Back then, most Worldwide Church of God baptisms in Toledo took place in what appeared to be a water tank (like for horses and cattle) in the garage of the highly respected deaconess and widow Mrs. Ruth Ludwig (later married to Rudy Myers).

The original Worldwide Church of God (WCG) taught the biblical baptism of full immersion in water, followed by the laying on of hands to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. It is not to be confused with the apostate Tkachite group today that shamefully returned to Egypt, to Babylon's traditional vomit, after the death of Herbert W. Armstrong and who recently changed their name to Grace Communion International. It's appropriate they no longer refer to themselves as the Church of God, considering the overwhelming evidence against them, documented within Raising the Ruins by Stephen Flurry.

Some refer to initial conversion as our "first love," sort of like a honeymoon, that eventually wears off. We're supposed to "count the cost" before baptism, understanding we're in this for the long haul, that conversion is a life-long process, that there's no turning back, so help us God.

I've had my ups and down during this conversion process, this spiritual obstacle course and religious marathon, exhilarating successes and miserable failures during this wilderness trek, but continue on, trusting in the tender mercies of God to finish what He's graciously started within me: the development of holy, righteous character to be completed at the First Resurrection, when the saints will be born again - literally transformed from human to divine, from flesh and blood to holy Spirit!
    Last edited by David Ben-Ariel; 06-09-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Re: I was baptized 30 years ago today!

They should have held you under longer....much longer.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    That was my line!

rofl.......

give
    dude
    a
    break
    already.
    you
    don't
    agree
    with
    him
    tell
    him
    why.
    wishing
    for
    harm
    is
    risky
    business
    in
    this
    plane.

it
    was
    a
    joke.
    and
    the
    enter
    key
    is
    no
    substitute
    for
    the
    space
    bar.

Quote Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
    it
    was
    a
    joke.
    and
    the
    enter
    key
    is
    no
    substitute
    for
    the
    space
    bar.
    :spin2::spin2::spin2::spin2::spin2::spin2::spin2:: spin2::spin2::spin2:
    OK-fine,then-hyphens-it-is-if-you-want-to-discuss-the-topic-of-the-thread-rather-than-trash-DBA-just-for-the-sake-of-trashing-him.

As-a-native-born-Levite-trained-not-only-in-the-ritual-and-practice-of-the-Hebrew-Faith(Judaism-Christianity-Islam),but-also-a-participant-in-the-same-stuff-as-presented-by-the-Hindu,Buddhist,Native-American,Druid,and-Wiccan-priests,most-of-what-David-spouts-is-at-best-crude-understandings-of-the-higher-thought-and-at-worst-perversions-of-it.

That-doesn't-make-him-a-bad-guy,just-misguided-and/or-misinformed.

If-we-are-to-obey-the-doctrine-of-love,we-are-obligated-to-respond-to-his-statements-with-wisdom-based-on-knowledge-and-understanding-NOT-insults-against-his-personality.

Argue-against-the-premise-presented-not-the-worthiness-of-the-presenter.

i'm-in-a-rural-area-and-it-might-be-a-little-while-before-i-can-replace-the-board.

thanking-everybody-in-advance-for-your-patience.

go-ahead,joke-about-it.i-can-take-it.
    i've-been-doing-this-crap-since-before-it-could-be-done-this-way-at-all.
    this-is-a-minor-inconvenience-compared-to-some-of-the-crap-i-have-to-deal-with-24x7-cleaning-up-after-MSFT-ANDTHE-INTERNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Medium View Post
    That-doesn't-make-him-a-bad-guy,just-misguided-and/or-misinformed.
    No, what makes him a bad guy is his hatred of anyone that's not a white Christian, his promotion of KKK-like concepts such as "racial purity", his claims that white people who marry interracially are diluting their pure white Israelite blood, and his attempts to hide his blatant xenophobia beyond biblical verses.

i-still-have-to-stay-with-Mr.T-and-pity-the-fool-rather-than-lowering-myself-to-a-similar-level-of-ignorance-by-hating-the-man-for-his-misguided-notions.

the-prime-directive-to-love-does-not-require-us-to-like-everything-that-everybody-is-about.

it-behooves-us-to-attempt-to-respond-to-things-we-do-not-like-with-love,compassion-and-wisdom.

hatred-and-violence,especially-righteous-indignation-and-imagined-divinely-mandated-retribution-just-breeds-more-of-the-same.

it-solves-nothing.

i-think-it-is-in-our-best-interests-to-attempt-to-enlighten-people-whose-belief-system-is-corrupted-rather-than-confront-them-combatively-like-y'all-go-after-DBA.

more-often-than-not,the-hostility-escalates-and-your-adversary-may-even-be-strengthened-by-the-confrontation,to-the-point-of-attracting-and-recruiting-allies-to-support-his-perverted-notions-of-righteousness.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

DavieCakes is a clown and a bigot of momentous proportions. F' him.
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ben-Ariel View Post
    I was baptized Sabbath, June 9, 1979 in Toledo, Ohio - an unbelievable 30 years ago today! My minister was George Kackos. Back then, most Worldwide Church of God baptisms in Toledo took place in what appeared to be a water tank (like for horses and cattle) in the garage of the highly respected deaconess and widow Mrs. Ruth Ludwig (later married to Rudy Myers).

The original Worldwide Church of God (WCG) taught the biblical baptism of full immersion in water, followed by the laying on of hands to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. It is not to be confused with the apostate Tkachite group today that shamefully returned to Egypt, to Babylon's traditional vomit, after the death of Herbert W. Armstrong and who recently changed their name to Grace Communion International. It's appropriate they no longer refer to themselves as the Church of God, considering the overwhelming evidence against them, documented within Raising the Ruins by Stephen Flurry.

Some refer to initial conversion as our "first love," sort of like a honeymoon, that eventually wears off. We're supposed to "count the cost" before baptism, understanding we're in this for the long haul, that conversion is a life-long process, that there's no turning back, so help us God.

I've had my ups and down during this conversion process, this spiritual obstacle course and religious marathon, exhilarating successes and miserable failures during this wilderness trek, but continue on, trusting in the tender mercies of God to finish what He's graciously started within me: the development of holy, righteous character to be completed at the First Resurrection, when the saints will be born again - literally transformed from human to divine, from flesh and blood to holy Spirit!
    The laying on of hands to receive the Holy Ghost is not necessary. Colossians 2:9 says "For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily." When we receive Christ as Savior, we receive all of Him including the Holy Spirit, at that time.

We are saved by grace through faith, not by the works of baptism. See Ephesians 2:8-10. Baptism doesn't save you, it is your faith, and faith alone, that saves you.

DavieCakes is a clown and a bigot of momentous proportions. F' him.

Calm down please, that's embarrassing, I thought you were more intelligent than that, calm down please.

According to Superman Comics, Kryptonite comes from the planet Krypton. Does that mean its real?

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    No, what makes him a bad guy is his hatred of anyone that's not a white Christian, his promotion of KKK-like concepts such as "racial purity", his claims that white people who marry interracially are diluting their pure white Israelite blood, and his attempts to hide his blatant xenophobia beyond biblical verses.

I'm a white Christian and David seems to hate me, too!

Quote Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
    Calm down please, that's embarrassing, I thought you were more intelligent than that, calm down please.
    I have no patience for liars, bigots, morons and religious fundies. They embody all that is wrong with this country today.

DavieCakes is just such a person.

Quote Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
    That was my line!
    Don't talk about his hatred when you are expressing it yourself. Judge not least ye be judged.