+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Do not take hype vitamins/remedies if you are sick

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31088185/

Does alternative medicine fight cancer?

Most herbal and dietary supplements have not been tested rigorously enough to say whether they can help or harm cancer prevention or treatment. However, some nontraditional approaches show promise for easing symptoms.

Scientists generally agree on these:

MAY HELP:
    Massage
    Mind-body techniques meditation, hypnosis, relaxation techniques, cognitive-behavioral therapy, biofeedback, guided imagery
    Ginger capsules for chemotherapy nausea
    Yoga, tai chi
    Music and art therapy
    Acupuncture for certain types of nausea, pain, dry mouth and possibly hot flashes

DOES NOT HELP OR MAY HARM:
    High doses of vitamins E, A (beta carotene), and possibly C
    Laetrile
    Chaparral
    Shark cartilage
    Pau d'arco
    PC-SPES, an herbal concoction for prostate health

RISK OF DRUG OR HORMONE INTERACTION:
    St. John's wort (lowers effectiveness of many medicines)
    Fish oil, garlic, ginger, gingko, feverfew (bleeding risk)
    Magnesium and thiazide (bad with cisplatin and similar cancer drugs)
    Red clover, dong quai, licorice (hormonal risk for women on aromatase inhibitors after breast cancer)
    Folic acid (interferes with the cancer drug methotrexate)

Sources: Society for Integrative Oncology, American Dietetic Association, various federal agency Web sites, AP interviews.
    Last edited by BorisZ; 06-08-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Re: Do not take MLM vitamins/remedies if you are s

Quote Originally Posted by BorisZ View Post
    Ummm. This is talking about Mega vitamin therapy in general not "MLM vitamins".

So in other words, it's ok to take vitamins if you are sick as long as you don't buy them from an MLM? That is what your title implies.

Quote Originally Posted by yodaattone View Post

So in other words, it's ok to take vitamins if you are sick as long as you don't buy them from an MLM? That is what your title implies.
    I can not change title and it is misleading, agreed. But a lot of "health remedies" are sold through MLMs.

Any way, point of the article is: alternative cancer treatments do not work. Those fancy overpriced vitamins will only do harm.

It is absolutely true that, just as some foods interfere with medications, vitamins do too. If you are on any kind of medications, you should ALWAYS talk to your docter before beginning to take ANY new vitamins.

HOWEVER, some of the "fancy overpriced MLM vitamins" do not have large amounts of the ingredients listed above... and being sure that your body is getting the nutrients it needs WILL help in prevention and treatment (any doctor out there that would disagree with that is a quack)... and there are several MLM vitamins that can help with that without hindering anything else. It's all in the ingredients.
    I do not believe that MLM/Network Marketing is a bad business model. I believe it's the shady people in MLM that make it LOOK bad. As long as you work hard, run your business ethically, and work with ethical people, then MLM can help you reach your financial goals... whether it's just to make extra money on the side or a full-time income.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with years of experience."

Pink Zebra Sprinkles

Quote Originally Posted by BorisZ View Post
    I can not change title and it is misleading, agreed. But a lot of "health remedies" are sold through MLMs.

Any way, point of the article is: alternative cancer treatments do not work. Those fancy overpriced vitamins will only do harm.
    NO vitamin company should be advertising their vitamins as an alternative treatment to cancer anyway. That's against the law. All vitamins can do is help you get the daily nutrients your body needs to function properly.
    I do not believe that MLM/Network Marketing is a bad business model. I believe it's the shady people in MLM that make it LOOK bad. As long as you work hard, run your business ethically, and work with ethical people, then MLM can help you reach your financial goals... whether it's just to make extra money on the side or a full-time income.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with years of experience."

Pink Zebra Sprinkles

On the contrary, "remedies" are one thing not sold by MLM. The FTC expressly prohibits any references to treating, curing or preventing any illnesses at all, so much so that it's expressly stated on labels and advertising and promotion for MLM products that they're not sold for this purpose. Other countries have similar laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Erneston View Post
    On the contrary, "remedies" are one thing not sold by MLM. The FTC expressly prohibits any references to treating, curing or preventing any illnesses at all, so much so that it's expressly stated on labels and advertising and promotion for MLM products that they're not sold for this purpose. Other countries have similar laws.
    What about the new thing Donald Trump is doing...i think the company name is VitaLife or something simple like that. Anyway he's changed their name to The Trump Network (So vain...) But yeah so their vitamins are supposedly very specific to each person and are supposed to cure you of sickness....

Quote Originally Posted by Erneston View Post
    the FTC doesn't prevent any MLM from selling over the counter medication. the references on the labels just say that nothing mentioned about the product has been tested in accordance with the FDA. any company (MLM or otherwise) is welcome to submit proper clinical trials to verify any claims they want to make, but that tends to take quite a bit of money, and of course, a unique product that actually does something.

and yes, some of the MLM vitamins do have some of the listed nutrients in high doses. our resident pill pusher has pointed that out.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
    and yes, some of the MLM vitamins do have some of the listed nutrients in high doses. our resident pill pusher has pointed that out.
    Yes they do... but not ALL MLM vitamins do... that's the key.

Pink Zebra Sprinkles

Quote Originally Posted by April47 View Post
    It is absolutely true that, just as some foods interfere with medications, vitamins do too. If you are on any kind of medications, you should ALWAYS talk to your docter before beginning to take ANY new vitamins.

HOWEVER, some of the "fancy overpriced MLM vitamins" do not have large amounts of the ingredients listed above... and being sure that your body is getting the nutrients it needs WILL help in prevention and treatment (any doctor out there that would disagree with that is a quack)... and there are several MLM vitamins that can help with that without hindering anything else. It's all in the ingredients.
    I agree. With so much "stuff" out there people need to be careful. There's nothing comparable to what mother nature provides.

Ridiculous thread title and thread.

rofl rofl
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Ridiculous thread title and thread.

rofl rofl
    Yep. Right up there with "Donald Trump is a Network Marketer."

Yep. Right up there with "Donald Trump is a Network Marketer."
    Er.... he is. In the network marketing business you are either an owner/promoter (which he is) or a distributor.

To say ''dont take MLM Vitamins (but health shop vitamins are ok? rofl) is pretty ridiculous... and all it shows is the posters blatant anti-MLM views.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Er.... he is. In the network marketing business you are either an owner/promoter (which he is) or a distributor.
    SWEET!!!!

I'm a banker, an oil tycoon, an auto maker, I make air planes, I'm a gold miner, I am a record producer, a film producer, ....the list is endless.

Anyone can just look through just one prospectus of a single mutual fund they own and see all the things they do.

Or we could just go with reality. He owns a company.

Donald Trump is as much a network marketer as Warren Buffet is an insurance salesman.

SWEET!!!!

I'm a banker, an oil tycoon, an auto maker, I make air planes, I'm a gold miner, I am a record producer, a film producer, ....the list is endless.

Anyone can just look through just one prospectus of a single mutual fund they own and see all the things they do.

Or we could just go with reality. He owns a company.

Donald Trump is as much a network marketer as Warren Buffet is an insurance salesman.
    Sorry you dont like him being in the network marketing business.... your problem, get over it.

Sorry you dont like him being in the network marketing business.... your problem, get over it.
    it's not a problem, nor do i dislike him being an owner in the business. i just think it's funny that you rail on inaccurate thread titles when you are guilty of it yourself.

being an owner is very different than being a network marketer. you'd think you'd know that. guess that shoots your theory of 'you have experience to understand it.

again, Warren Buffet is not an Insurance salesman. Donald Trump is not a network marketer. He owns a business.