+ Reply to Thread

a request for help--any computer wizards here?

just wondering if anybody here knows a lot about computer operating systems. here's the story: i have windows xp & am trying to re-install windows service pack 2. i recently did a disc recovery & when i do that, it goes back to service pack 1, so i have to do the upgrade by downloading it off the microsoft site. i did these install/upgrades before with no problem, but this time after i re-downloaded service pack 2, i got an error message when the install was half way through: "service pack 2 setup error unable to read or write to the data base service pack 2 installation not complete" ??? what's up with this? i have a request in to windows for technical support, but it might be a week until i hear from those morons. anybody here know something about this?

Re: a request for help--any computer wizards here?

1. First try re-downloading SP2, maybe the file just became corrupted when you downloaded it the first time.

2. Validate your Windows via microsoft.com - Should take < 5 minutes. If it turns out MS thinks it is not a valid copy, post again.

3. What partitions do you have on your HD. NTFS?, FAT32? etc. More than one?

4. Defrag and then schedule the 2 Checkdisk options - Automatically fix file system errors, Scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors. Post unusual things that occur.

5. Post some screenshots if not yet solved.

6. http://www.ubuntu.com

Almost forgot.
    Make sure you are a member of the Administrator users on your PC before installing it.

And some more - DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Cryptographic service and related errors
    Some of the possible error messages are:

Cryptographic service error
    Error 0x800710D9 Unable to read from or write to the database
    The quickest and most thorough way to solve this problem is a batch file, written by fellow MVP Torgeir Bakken from Norway. Reboot the computer and, before running any other program, run the batch file. It will tell you when it is finished. Here it is: fixdb.bat - http://winhlp.com/tools/fixdb.bat

For other possible solutions check http://www.updatexp.com/cryptographic-service.html and the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for details.

You cannot install some updates or programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/

The most successful workaround for the cryptographic service error has been the method 3 mentioned in that article:

Rename the Catroot2 folder, and then try to install the program again. To rename the Catroot2 folder, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
    At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each line:
    net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 catroot2old
    net start cryptsvc
    exit

Important: Do not rename the Catroot folder. The Catroot2 folder is automatically recreated by Windows, but the Catroot folder is not recreated if it is renamed.

For the "Error 0x800710D9 Unable to read from or write to the database" you would need to delete or rename the %systemroot%\Security\*.log files as well (rename them to e.g. *.log.old).

Or this one:

Find another PC. Search for edb.log (about 1MB). Copy it to whatever and put edb.log in C:\WINDOWS\security. This will overwrite your existing data. Reboot and reload SP2.

Copy & paste errors you get into Google.

that batch file worked! thanks so much! i have no idea what a batch file is, but it worked!