+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: MascotFinancial.com

Quote Originally Posted by CanDo
    To be a 'truth seeker' in the case of Mascot Financial - get a copy of Channel 5's Invsestigative Report done by Debbie Dujanovic at 10:00 pm tonight - September 14th, 2006
    I did get a copy of the report. I watched it live in fact. You might be interested in some of the truth I have found... This comment is posted on the KLS website:

Here is something very interesting from the KSL story on Mascot Financial.

First person interviewed for the KSL story: Melanie Millett. Read the transcript. Her name is there near the top. Melanie's husband is Rob Millett.
    Rob is a former employee or consultant for Mascot Financial.

EquitySmart Financial is a direct competitor of Mascot Financial. If you look at their website, you will see that they have virtually copied the Mascot Concept. EquitySmart Financial is owned by Rob and/or Melanie Millett.

Proof, you ask? Look at some basic publicly available information:

Check out the domain listing for their website: Note the address in Payson, UT.

equitysmartfinancial.com

Registrant:
    Robert Millett ([email protected])
    EquitySmart, LLC
    1455 S. 600 W.
    Payson, UT 84651
    US
    801-465-8222

Domain Name: equitysmartfinancial.com

Admin Contact:
    EquitySmart, LLC
    1455 S. 600 W.
    Payson, UT 84651
    US
    801-465-8222

Technical Contact:
    EquitySmart, LLC
    1455 S. 600 W.
    Payson, UT 84651
    US
    801-465-8222

Billing Contact:
    EquitySmart, LLC
    1455 S. 600 W.
    Payson, UT 84651
    US
    801-465-8222

Record created on Oct 19 2005.
    Record expires on Oct 19 2007.

Now, go to the Utah.gov and do a Business Entity Search: https://secure.utah.gov/bes/action/index
    Enter EquitySmart and do the search. You will find two entities.

One is expired. Here is the info. Note the address in Payson, UT.

Name Type City Status
    EQUITYSMART LLC Name Reservation Payson Expired
    Business Name: EQUITYSMART LLC
    Entity Number: 5977683-0111
    Registration Date: 08/09/2005
    State of Origin:

Address
    1455 South 600 West
    Payson, UT 84651

Status
    Status Description: Failure to File Renewal
    This Status Date: 12/09/2005
    Last Renewed: N/A
    License Type: Business Name Reservation
    Delinquent Date: 12/09/2005

Registered Agent
    Registered Agent: Melanie A. Millett
    [Search BES] [Search RPS]
    Address Line 1: 1455 S. 600 W.
    Address Line 2:
    City: Payson
    State: UT
    Zip: 84651

The other entity is active. Here is the information. Note the address in Payson, UT.

Name Type City Status
    EQUITYSMART FINANCIAL DBA Payson Active
    Business Name: EQUITYSMART FINANCIAL
    Entity Number: 6067005-0151
    Registration Date: 12/05/2005
    State of Origin:

Address
    1455 South 600 West
    Payson, UT 84651

Status
    Status Description: Good Standing
    This Status Date: 12/05/2005
    Last Renewed: N/A
    License Type: DBA
    Delinquent Date: 12/05/2008

Registered Agent
    Registered Agent: EQUITYSMART, LLC
    [Search BES] [Search RPS]
    Address Line 1: 1455 SOUTH 600 WEST
    Address Line 2:
    City: Payson
    State: UT
    Zip: 84651

Hmmm... Same address in Payson for the website registrant (Rob) and the business owner (Melanie).

It seems pretty obvious to me what happened.
    Rob worked for Mascot.
    Rob left for some reason and started a competing company.
    Rob wanted to attack his former company, possibly to help push clients away from Mascot and to his own company.
    I would bet that the other people interviewed for the KSL story are his friends from EquitySmart. I don't know that for a fact, but I bet they are.
    Perhaps they really had trouble with Mascot. Perhaps the did not. Who know? But it all seems very convenient.

Of course all this is just a theory, but I suspect the call to the action reporter was really an attack. And without intending to do so, Ms. Dujanovic was an unwittingly accomplice in the attack.

Mascot has hundreds, if not thousands of happy clients, yet none of them were interviewed? Hmmmm...

By the way, at least four other people interviewed in the story are all from Payson:
    Tim Eversole, Denise Barney, Lee Murdoch, Lyman Willardson. (All listed in the transcript.)
    Payson isn't that big, so it seems at least a little suspicious to me that four of the eight or so people interviewed just happened to live in the same town and the Milletts.

I quess time will tell, I not from Payson and I know one person who's credit was runined because of Mascot's / tpa4u ( same owner, same company) took money from his bank account and did not make payments. He received a visit From the President of the company after my friend threated to go to The attorney general, and assured him they would get things fixed. I bet if more people knew about this site, there would be more complaints than not. Truth, money and greed took over and greed is like a cancer if not kept in very strict control.

Seeking Truth should have more of these happy customers post here!!!

Unfortunately, I am one customer who had my credit score destroyed by Mascot Financial and TPA4U. I have filed a lawsuit against Mascot. I was NOT surprised to hear of the 40 unhappy clients in the KSL report last night.

I do not work for a competitor. Late payments or non payments were the norm in my experience with Mascot.

Unconscionable

Unusually harsh and shocking to the conscience; that which is so grossly unfair that a court will proscribe it.

When a court uses the word unconscionable to describe conduct, it means that the conduct does not conform to the dictates of conscience. In addition, when something is judged unconscionable, a court will refuse to allow the perpetrator of the conduct to benefit.

In contract law an unconscionable contract is one that is unjust or extremely one-sided in favor of the person who has the superior bargaining power. An unconscionable contract is one that no person who is mentally competent would enter into and that no fair and honest person would accept. Courts find that unconscionable contracts usually result from the exploitation of consumers who are often poorly educated, impoverished, and unable to find the best price available in the competitive marketplace.

Contractual provisions that indicate gross one-sidedness in favor of the seller include provisions that limit damages against the seller, limit the rights of the purchaser to seek court relief against the seller, or disclaim a warranty. State and federal consumer protection and consumer credit laws were enacted to prevent many of these unconscionable contract provisions from being included in sales contracts.

Unconscionability is determined by examining the circumstances of the parties when the contract was made; these circumstances include, for example, the bargaining power, age, and mental capacity of the parties. The doctrine is applied only where it would be an affront to the integrity of the judicial system to enforce such contracts.

Unconscionable conduct is also found in acts of fraud and deceit, where the deliberate misrepresentation of fact deprives someone of a valuable possession. Whenever someone takes unconscionable advantage of another person, the action may be treated as criminal fraud or the civil action of deceit.
    Last edited by Caspia; 09-17-2006 at 08:48 AM.

[QUOTE=Seeking Truth]

EquitySmart Financial is a direct competitor of Mascot Financial. If you look at their website, you will see that they have virtually copied the Mascot Concept. EquitySmart Financial is owned by Rob and/or Melanie Millett.

Proof, you ask? Look at some basic publicly available information:...

Well, you'll be given some public information in the future that will show you that this was never about a 'competitior wiping out the competition' and everything about a group of founders taking advantage of people in a vulnerable state. And here I'll give Mascot the benefit of any doubt by saying they may have a good product (even though no one I ever saw or any one of 40 customers ever saw anyone successfully complete a program or did we ever saw a printed program that was paid for without it being full of inaccuracies and errors that a novice could spot readily...let alone a financial genius and million-dollar, patent-pending software was the author of.

Mascot does have good lingo that's believeable due to the droves of folks who subscribe every month - with their kind of numbers, if they kept their clients and consultants around, they'd be the largest employer in Provo after BYU and there'd be no money worries for the founders but they don't keep their customers or consultants...no pay or slow pay is what they're about and the promises they continually throw up all over people with have no substance to them. It's about giving people what they paid for and paying their consultants as agreed.

From your comments, it appears your arms length with anyone involved. Me, I personally had 40 clients, of which only 2 were represented on the KSL report. All, and I repeat ALL, were negativley affected by Mascot, not to mention the over 117+ consultants who now have a bad taste in their mouths because of this experience with a disreputable outfit.

Be careful of what you say and what 'public information' you throw around without really knowing the whole story...perhaps, since you have Mr. Millett's information, it would be best for you to interview him before jumping to conculsions of what has and is transpiring...

The State wouldn't be taking action without reason and good reason. They know that good, small businesses are what makes the economy turn. Quite frankly, that's why it's taken this long and they embarrassingly got put into a position to do the right thing. They have no desire to hurt legitimate businesses and actually, have given Mascot as you can see from other public information like GRAMA reports put out by the Consumer Protection Services, that they've known about Mascot for years and have given the benefit of the doubt over and over but when a company continues to show disregard for the rules and regulations, and heaven forbid, their own customers - well, then, the time is now to have the boundaries take effect for the benefit of all, including the alleged perpetrators.

CanDo

Re: MascotFinancial.com posted by Privacy-Rights-Army

Interesting,

So we have a former client and consultant with conflicting information, so with the complainant being the founder of Equity Smart, it wasn't very smart to attack the former company without proof of wrong doing, so not seeing this report, what was the claim about? Since he was a consultant as well as client, seems a bit strange he would have a complaint when he sold himself as a client to use services?

Privacy-Rights-Army

Found this on the KSL site, Thought I would copy the post so others out there can request a refund of fee's.

Fri Sep 22nd, 2006
    I had a miserable experience with Mascot. I went to their office on Monday and asked for a refund. I was told they would give me 75% of it back, then maybe get the rest later. They called the next day to basically say, "The check is in the mail." They supposedly mailed it Monday evening. Yeah, right. The check never showed, and they didn't return my call today. They haven't seen the last of me.

Sat Sep 30th, 2006
    I finally got my refund. I don't know if I would have gotten it without the Attorney General's office sending a letter telling them that the fee they charged was illegal. At any rate, I did get it. It seems that 50% of Mascot's problems is disorganization.

I see this situation this way having watched the 1 hour video.

Once your saving on interest is determined, by how many years you are paid off early. They make a "note" I got that today from my salespersons higher up.
    So in my case i did the math , it would be close to 5500. in Fees, which they like to call, " a small percentage of the money saved while on the plan" or "money I would have flushed down the interest drain anyway", it was quoted both ways to me.

Ok so I sign the documents, 3 business days pass, then the NOTE {Legal DEBT owed to Mascot} would be binding legally.
    I then 1 week later decide I refuse to ever continue using them and their services, I was informed by his higher up today on the phone [3 way call] the note would be enforced {to protect them} if I choose to back out..

This sound like a service you really need?

You be the Judge...

I will not be using them.

I don't know how you feel about John Avanzini, he is not my favorite person, but he does how some great books on finances. He is a Christian Author, I do not agree with all his Doctrines, but this book "Rapid Debt-Reduction Strategies" is the basic plans that Mascot uses.

Except the book costs 10 dollars or so.
    Where mascot wants to Charge you THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS for them to do it for u, but using the SAME PRINCIPLES.

They laughingly claim it is in this so called million dollar software that does amazing things, what joke..
    They hide giving away to many facts by hiding behind the software could be stolen if we give to much information..

Total BS in my opinion..

This place seems to be at the very least, of questionable character..
    At the worst just another company headed by men with dollar signs in their eyes.. Seems to me to be the latter..

I do however believe they convince some of the younger sales people, they are genuinely helping others, as I believe is the case with the young salesmen who contacted me.
    I do not however believe the company has my best interest at heart. They just want that "NOTE" that guarantees them thousands of dollars if I quit them 3 months or 3 weeks, or whatever from now..

Sign with them you will pay this Large fee no matter if you drop their services..

I beleiev they are just another Multi Marketing Organizations {MLM}, even if they choose to say they are not a Multi level organization, as Mascot Financial person told me they were not MLM,
    but clearly to the disearning person they are MLM company ..

This organization looks like and smells like a MLM money machine.

They do however offer a service that if followed out probably would do as it says. But why pay someone thousands to do what you can impliment yourself..

We live in an age sadly where many seemingly innocent and sincere sounding sales people are just being duped by those above them..

I WILL NOT be using their so called "SERVICE", if they wanted to "Help me save years of money on my loans" they would just give the basic information on how to do it, rather then claim its hidden in a software somewhere.

You can go get many a book from many financial planners that tell their basic approach.

Pay off one bill, then roll that payment onto the next bill, then when those two are paid off roll those 2 payments onto the 3rd, then to the 4th and so on. Do this rather then roll that money back into the household general use.
    If you do this strategy you can get your bills paid off in less time then they claim, because you won't have to pay them their 10 grand or whatever your savings FEE would be..

Many others sell this same information plan for less then 10 dollars.

This place in my opinion is preying on the financially ignorant, we all are ignorant of something, it just means lack of knowledge in a area.

The long and short is you don't need this place to Charge you a savings fee, they are doing nothing special as they claim they are.
    Rather just charging you massive amount to do what you could do yourself.

Apparently, the state of Utah also believes that Mascot Financial has shown improprieties, perhaps even criminal behavior. I say this based on the state's very recent action against that company. The following is from the Daily Herald (Utah County), dated 10/14/06:

"Separately, the state division of Consumer Protection also cited a Provo-based consumer debt reduction company Mascot Financial and its three officers, Scot Stobbe, Sam Aston and Blake Reynolds for allegedly scamming more than 230 consumers.

They were accused of violating the Utah Consumer Sales Practices Act and the Credit Services Organizations Act when they took up-front fees from consumers, failed to deliver debt reduction services to consumers, and in some cases, failed to pay off consumers' bills to creditors.

"Mascot Financial promised to erase consumer's debts for a sizable fee," said Francine Giani, executive director of the Utah Department of Commerce. "Instead they failed to make payments on behalf of customers, failed to complete the contracted services and lined their pockets with consumer's money instead."

Stobbe, Mascot Financial's co-founder, disputed the allegations, saying they "aren't true and were raised without any evidence.

"We will present our side of the story at the hearing, once the date is set," he said.

Mascot Financial and its three officers were ordered to pay a $270,500 fine, Giani said. In addition to the citation, the division submitted a claim against Mascot Financials' $100,000 surety bond with Great American Insurance Company to recover the fine.

On Sept. 15, the state division issued a notice to revoke the company's Credit Services Organizations permit. Stobbe said an Oct. 20 hearing date on the matter was postponed."

This story appeared in The Daily Herald on page C6.

This of course doesn't necessarily mean that Mascot and its owners are guilty. What it does mean is that the state strongly suspects (or knows) that Mascot has done something that transgresses current law. I further suspect that the state feels that it has a good case. I doubt that the state of Utah would waste its time if it knew for a fact that it couldn't win this case.

Tangentially, does Oneam sound like he/she isn't really a lawyer to anyone else? Oneam's hyperbole (and frequent exclamation points) aren't reminiscent at all of any lawyer with whom I am familiar, nor is his/her biased-at-all-costs defense of a company that faces a rapidly growing mountain of evidence. (Just read the Internet and other media. You'll find it.)

I suspect, given the diatribe above, that Oneam in reality has a deep vested interested in Mascot's survival. I suspect that Oneam is in fact one of the higher-ups of Mascot, or one of their cronies. That's my guess.

Oneam's rants are too strident and fever-pitched, and his/her leaps of logic too wild and undisciplined to be considered of any utility whatsoever by anyone on either side of this issue. That's not like a lawyer at all.

Nor do those same rants and leaps of logic indicate a mind that was trained in law or logic. Or possibly, Oneam's rants indicate a mind that was indeed trained in those disciplines, but didn't learn its lessons very well.

To read the entire article above, go to:
    http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/196491

Here is the Internet address for the .PDF file that was issued from the State of Utah against both Mascot Financial and its officers (Scot Stobbe, Sam Aston and Blake Reynolds):

http://www.commerce.utah.gov/releases/06-10-05_mascot-financial.pdf

Mascot Financial Loses Permit
    October 27th, 2006 @ 5:44pm
    (KSL News) -- There's new action to report in an Eyewitness News Investigation. Mascot Financial can no longer operate as a credit services organization.

The Provo company promised to get people out of debt sooner. Today, the Utah Commerce Department pulled Mascot's permit to offer credit services.

The main reason? The state says Mascot wrongly charged customers thousands of dollars in up-front fees before performing services.

Eyewitness News uncovered this illegal practice and took 40 complaints to investigators. Since then, the state has heard from more than 200 other unhappy clients.

Mascot still faces hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

For any out there who needs to file a complaint because of harm from Mascot, may do so with the "Utah Division of Consumer Protection"

http://consumerprotection.utah.gov/e...laintform.html

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/198322/

Mascots Lincense has been revoked in Utah as of Oct

Daily Herald
    Legal

Provo consumer debt reduction company's license revoked -- The state Division of Consumer Protection revoked Mascot Financial's credit service permit after it was found to have violated the Utah Credit Services Organization Act.

The Provo-based consumer debt reduction company and its three officers, Scot Stobbe, Sam Aston and Blake Reynolds, had their permit revoked after a hearing on Oct. 26.

The defendants were accused of taking up-front fees from 232 Utah consumers, but failed to provide information on a "five day right of cancellation" in Mascot contracts, failed to deliver debt reduction services to consumers, and in some cases, failed to pay off consumers' bills to creditors.

"Mascot Financial claimed consumers would be on a path to financial security once they paid $4,000 dollars upfront," said Francine Giani, executive director of the Utah Department of Commerce. "Mascot's credit permit needs to be revoked because they took money from consumers, failed to erase their debt and left some clients even deeper in debt."

The defendants also were ordered to pay a $270,000 fine and the Division submitted a claim against Mascot Financial's $100,000 surety bond with Great American Insurance Co. to recover the fine. A hearing is scheduled Nov. 17.