+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 56

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    454

    Dorothy Kilgallen

    One of the only reporters to get a private interview with Jack Ruby, the killer of Lee Harvey Oswald, was nationally syndicated columnist Dorothy Kilgallen, who prevailed on lawyer Joe Tomahill to arrange a meeting with presiding Judge Joe B. Brown. She claimed to have a message for Ruby from a mutual friend who "may have been in some kind of singer."

    But on November 8th, 1965, there was one less reporter. That day Dorothy Kilagallen was found dead in her home.

    Kilagallen joined the ranks of the many who knew something related to the assassination and ended up dead.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    253

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen

    Quote Originally Posted by theme View Post
    One of the only reporters to get a private interview with Jack Ruby, the killer of Lee Harvey Oswald, was nationally syndicated columnist Dorothy Kilgallen, who prevailed on lawyer Joe Tomahill to arrange a meeting with presiding Judge Joe B. Brown. She claimed to have a message for Ruby from a mutual friend who "may have been in some kind of singer."

    But on November 8th, 1965, there was one less reporter. That day Dorothy Kilagallen was found dead in her home.

    Kilagallen joined the ranks of the many who knew something related to the assassination and ended up dead.

    WAKE UP PEOPLE; THIS LADY WAS KILLED OVER THE JFK ASSASSINATION!




    The DEATH of DOROTHY KILGALLEN
    A Key Chapter from "Justice For JFK"


    by Robert D. Morningstar




    One of the early victims of the JFK conspiracy of silence, better yet "silencing" in the
    aftermath of JFK'S murder, was the noted reporter, columnist and television celebrity, Dorothy Kilgallen. I had watched her for years on "What's My Line?", not realizing that she had any involvement with the JFK story. Years later, I learned that she had broken the convention of silence in the press and written openly in her column about discrepancies in the official story. Suddenly she was dead.

    On November 8, 1965, Dorothy Kilgallen, was found dead in her apartment shortly after returning from Dallas where she had interviewed Jack Ruby and had conducted her own investigation of the JFK murder during several trips to cover the Ruby trial.
    She had revealed secret transcripts of Ruby's testimony in her column. Kilgallen had met with Ruby. She had learned of a meeting three weeks before the assassination at Ruby's "Carousel", the Dallas underworld's merry-go-round where the "Big D" mobsters wheeled around.
    Present at the meeting were Ruby, Officer J.D. Tippit, Bernard Weismann and, she would later learn, a fourth party.
    Lee Israel, author of "Kilgallen", reports that that Ruby, himself a TV fan of Dorothy Kilgallen, had taken a liking to her during the trial. According to Israel, he respected her more than any other reporter. She had gained his confidence and had several conversations with him in the courtroom. She was given a five minute session alone with Ruby. Some writers have stretched this to a half-hour, others deny it.
    Regardless, it is a fact that when Dorothy returned to New York, she told friends that she had discovered that Ruby and the slain Officer J.D. Tippit had been friends. They had been seen together in Ruby's Carousel Club at a meeting 2 weeks before the assassination in the company of Bernard Weissman, who had placed the "JFK-Wanted for Treason" newspaper ad in Dallas newspapers on November 22nd, 1963. Studying the Warren Commission Report, Killgallen deduced that the meeting had also been reported to Chief Justice Warren AND that the identity of "the fourth man",which she had been unable to ascertain, had been reported to Warren as "a rich Texas oil man", as Earl Warren described him in the official transcript.
    She told Israel that she had discovered something that was going to break the whole JFK assassination mystery wide open. She told the same story to her next door neighbor, her hairdresser, her agent, her publisher, and the producer and host of "Nightlife".
    Kilgallen had told Israel about a very mysterious and sinister player in the JFK assassination to whom she gave the code name "ferret man". From the description of the individual, it is clear that "ferret man" was none other than David Ferrie, another known associate of Jack Ruby involved in gun running, the Marcello mob and other anti-Castro operations from Florida to Texas. At one time, Ruby and Ferrie were co-owners of an airplane.
    Nightlife's producer, Nick Vanoff, pleaded with her not to broach the subject on the air. She had arrived at the studio with a folder full of pertinent and explosive notes documents. She kept the folder closed throughout the interview. Vanoff, asked her agent, Bob Bach, to send her "a dozen long-stemmed roses."
    On Sunday November 8, Dorothy Kilgallen was found dead, sitting fully dressed, upright in bed, early in the morning. The New York City Police investigated and the coroner found that Dorothy Kilgallen had died from ingestion of a lethal combination of alchohol and barbituates. All her notes and the article on which she had been working to "blow the JFK assassination wide open" also disappeared.
    What did Kilgallen know? The convention of silence continued. The New York Times noted the coroner's report. The Daily News noted it as well. Of course, the Journal American took note but nowhere did you read any reference to her Dallas trips nor her investigation into the murder of JFK at the high point of her own career. Every nostalgic memory of her in the Press was a fond one of "What's My Line?".
    They all abandoned her, no one asked a question publicly. Not John Daly, not Bennett Cerf. No one in the press could be bothered about someone, even someone famous, who had died nearly by her own hand. Indeterminate causes can mean many things and "causes" is plural.
    It was only the year before the murder of JFK that no one had questioned the death of Marilyn Monroe on the other side of the continent, who had also died of a barbiturate overdose, by her own hand. Neither her diary, nor her notes for her press conference, nor her "suicide note" were ever found. Only Joe D. cared, courageous enough to say, "Those bastards, they killed her."
    Recent reports indicate that whoever sent "those bastards" apparently killed Marilyn by mistake. Many believe she was going to reveal the government's Castro assassination attempts (divulged to her by RFK) or the Kennedy mob connections or her love affair with JFK, when, according to recent reports (Cosmopolitan Magazine, 1996), she was actually going to announce her remarriage to Joe DiMaggio.
    The press continued its pseudo-patriotic posture, in today's parlance, "politically correct" posture, benign neglect by design. Things were getting eerie for the Fourth Estate. The Fourth Estate had been transported to "The Twilight Zone". Both reporters and witnesses were dying. The Press hardly noticed.
    Things were getting bad. Penn Jones wrote "Forgive My Grief" to chronicle the continuing string of strange deaths which followed the freight train of the Warren Commission Report, which railroaded Oswald, with its strong box of secrets sealed till the year 2039.
    We could still watch "What's My Line?" but there was something strange about the show. John Daly was stiff, Bennett Cerf, Arlene Francis and others were just as wooden and flat. Forced mirth is not worth watching.
    It's painful living in fear, says Leon to Deckker in "Blade Runner."

    A dark cloud, a shadow, if you will, hung over the show.There was a Void: hollow, empty, voiceless. TV fans missed her. Things got yet worse! Penn Jones had to write "Forgive My Grief II". Witnesses were still dropping like flies as Jones recorded No. 5, No. 56...No.67, No. 68. Some of us didn't believe The Official Story, even without knowing of her trips to Dallas for another 20 years. It was too incongruous to believe that the person I had seen just the night before and again that very afternoon, so alive, so intelligent, so bright with life, could have died so pitifully, so quickly.
    I beg to differ with the disinformed current opinion of those today who never saw her, but to my TV eyes, Dorothy Kilgallen was not some stupified, alcoholic lush addicted to barbiturates. In all those years on television, I never saw her manifest any signs of slurred speech, sluggishness, lethargy, or uncoordinated speech or movement, though others may differ on this. She always spoke with the utmost courtesy, composure and graciousness. She had a way of asking one question which could extract three pieces of information.


    The Media's Convention of Silence
    "On a need to know basis" came into our vocabulary and an apparently craven press was caving in to "higher powers". The press now written with a little "p", neutered and rechristined "The Media", really didn't "need" to know, it was learning how not to ask the right questions.
    Broad and broader flowed a whole brook of Warren Commission "white lies" and unanswered questions, which soon wound its way to another bend, then a twist of the facts, finally, widening into a whole river allowed to flow unimpeded and unquestioned.
    Things got still worse! Penn Jones had to write "Forgive My Grief - Part III."...No.77, No. 78... As more and more people died or disappeared, a bridge of silence was erected over the river of questions which proceeded from the brook of the Warren Commision's "white lies". The press, politically correct as always, developed a polite disinclination to know. The press preferred to take the long way around.
    The press, under duress after Dorothy's death, had learned ("been taught" may be more apt) to avoid even approaching The Bridge of Silence for, as Dorothy Kilgallen had shown, the toll for crossing it was very high.
    And so, ...my fellow Americans...Ask not......For whom the bell tolls...it tolls for us.
    Not a murmur was heard much less a dissenting word from the myrmidons of political correctness. They had all abandoned Dorothy. In 1964, CBS had televised "The Wizard of Oz."
    "Ignore the man behind the curtain! The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken" screamed the Wizard of Oz, and the press obeyed.
    The Great and Powerful Oz and his henchmen had hoodwinked the whole country. Viet Nam was hard core reality. The Viet Cong had a tete-a-tete with the Johnson Administration. If things were bad before, consider the consternation of the nation when Penn Jones published "Forgive My Grief IV." People finally started to notice but the press continued to ignore "the man behind the curtain".
    However, a few hundred scarecrows with hay for brains that said the "magic bullet" was "magic BS", tinmen with no hearts to give up JFK or the Truth so easily, and scores of cowardly lions who would give their lives, like Dorothy Kilgallen, in order to bring the truth about the heinous murders to the American people continued the arduous work of "reverse engineering" the Warren Commission Report in order to find the Truth about "Who struck John?". They were the progenitors of Posner's "buffs", who, even then, would have preferred to be called "JFK Buffs" than Warren Commission buffoons.
    The people, God bless 'em, God forgive 'em, led along like sheep, just poor dumb mouths and extremely naive, were kept frightened, quickly forgetting Rober Kennedy's warnings of "The Enemy Within", like children in the dark, confused, unsure, malaised.
    The "higher authorities", intelligence agencies decided the people "needed not to know" that there were real "spooks", real phantoms of a national opera lurking under their hoods and sheets. C.D. Jackson, upon seeing the uncut Zapruder film stated: "The American people must never see this film." They still haven't.
    A benign-appearing but socially malignant step-father had taken over the reigns of government by the Longhorns. He sent the sons he never had to Viet Nam without a moment's hesitation. He only had daughters. "Everything's going to be alright, isn't it?" the "Volunteer" president-unelect asked Nellie Connally from Air Force One, shortly after the take-off on the day of the murder.
    The silenced press of the Johnson-Nixon Era, promulgating the propaganda of the falsified statistics of Viet Nam War and the real statistics of the Moon Program, itself eventually evolved a "need not to know", a persistent "Company Policy" throughout the networks and the popular pulp news. The press asserted itself briefly during the Watergate Era. But one must admit that throughout the history of the JFK deception, with very few exceptions, Kilgallen being one of them, Penn Jones another, the remaining American press has remained patriotically chic and politically "apparatchik".
    Through their collusion with the whitewash in the Kennedy murder and cover-up, "the Media" had been promoted and unwittingly became "an instrument of state". It became an information funnel and filter to the point today where it flaunts itself as "almost part of the government", words spoken by a White House reporter on CNN recently. The problem is that it was not made clear to this viewer which government he meant, the political government or the religious government now persecuting President Clinton, pursuing him and nibbling like voracious piranahs.
    Presently, the net of nepotism in media and the press, screens out any insinuations of a myopic, monoscopic, or mendacious point of view in their predecessors. Television, in particular, keeps its present tunnel vision intact behind a large array of chromaque-blue contact lensed "poupees", focus locked on the Teleprompter.
    The Teleprompter knows all. The intelligence of a teletype machine, required of every politically correct-apparatchik anchor, weighs heavily in our value system, as they daily sink "reality" in a quagmire of "miniviews" and "sound bites."
    THE COURAGE AND CUNNING OF DOROTHY KILGALLEN
    Dorothy Kilgallen, as you will see, did not die for nothing. She was just too bold, she dared to go where no one had dared to go: she crossed the Bridge of Silence. Her mind had cut through all the disinformation gone to the horse's mouth, Jack Ruby. She had discovered the crux of the matter, a cross within a circle. Ruby and Tippit were pals. Both of them, members of an underworldly police athletic league and a right-wing organization which on November 22nd, 1963 had really flexed its muscles and exercised to kill a President of a particular persuasion.
    Why was Dorothy Kilgallen killed? Or was she driven to her death by the Horror she had discovered. As in de Maupassant's "Le Horla", it was as if, an invisible being from an invisible empire had clutched the nation by the throat and people were dying,
    strangely, mysteriously. The Press was scared. Always in the past, anytime a reporter was killed, all branches of Justice had coalesced in a unified effort to capture the criminal because it was taken for granted that if anyone could coerce the Press, then Democracy was threatened and all of us were in danger. The death of a reporter also testified to the discovery of something very significant, something "critical", important to us all.
    Why was Dorothy Kilgallen killed? Why did "the little 'p'" take the long way around, refusing to cross the Bridge of Silence over the Potomac of unanswered questions, which proceeded from the babbling brook of the lily "white lies" of the Warren Commission Report?
    Was Dorothy Kilgallen Killed?
    Years later, the unrelenting efforts of Lee Israel brought to light the fact that Dr. Charles Umber of the New York Medical Examiner's Office had discovered the dregs three types of barbiturates in Dorothy's glass but had kept his findings secret due to the politics and internecine rivalry in the NYMEO. No vial was ever found or recorded by the NYPD. Seconal had been the only barbiturate prescribed for her according to the NYPD report.
    Why was Dorothy Kilgallen killed?
    Twenty-nine years later, I would learn why, just in time for the end of the Third Decade of deception and the "Case Closed" sham, the last gasp of the dying lie of the WCR . Hopefully, I look forward in the Fourth Decade for Justice for JFK, Oswald, Kilgallen, Monroe, King, RFK, and the countless others who came home in bags from Viet Nam.
    My Fellow Americans, Ask not for whom the bells toll...they toll for thee and me and JFK and what might have been.
    However, there still remains some hope for Justice but first we must destroy the current state of Media, my motto: "Not back to the future but back to reality".
    (©1994, R. D. Morningstar)
    Webmaster: R.J. DellaRosa --richdell@tampabay.rr.com



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen

    Quote Originally Posted by theme View Post
    One of the only reporters to get a private interview with Jack Ruby, the killer of Lee Harvey Oswald, was nationally syndicated columnist Dorothy Kilgallen, who prevailed on lawyer Joe Tomahill to arrange a meeting with presiding Judge Joe B. Brown. She claimed to have a message for Ruby from a mutual friend who "may have been in some kind of singer."

    But on November 8th, 1965, there was one less reporter. That day Dorothy Kilagallen was found dead in her home.

    Kilagallen joined the ranks of the many who knew something related to the assassination and ended up dead.
    This is all cheap , tabloid conspiracy theory clap trap.

    Kilgallen died of alcohol and barbituate overdose and in fact she had a history of alcoholism and drug abuse her death was no mystery. She was not the first nor the last celebrity to suffer from such addictions.

    Kilgallen never had a private interview with Ruby . The fact is she had a very brief interview with Ruby in his court room during a short recess in his trial. This brief interview was conducted among a small crowd of other reporters all of whom were competing and attempting to speak with Ruby. She died over a year after he was convicted and sent to prison and she never spoke with him again after his trial.

    Yes she made a claim that she would break open the assassination but she had no evidence no secret transcipts and she never alluded to any specifics such as the so called meeting between Ruby and Tippett. Those details were dreamed up later by te conspiracy therorists and no first and witness accounts exist.

    Kilgallens career was not at it's peak it was in its decline which likely helped drive her to drink herself to death as well as motivated her to make wild claims which she could never back up. In other words she simply joined the conspiracy nuts in a effort to respark her celebrity status.

    There has never been any strange string of deaths among reporters or journalists or ayone else connected with the JFK assassination.

    The assassination was decades ago and people have indeed died over that time because all people eventually die.

    The very timing of Kilgllen's death is evidence that no such string of deaths occurred . She died years after the assassination ad over a year after speaking with Ruby. She had more than ample time wo write and report what she wished about the assassination and produced NO evidence. It makes no sense for some conspiracy to silence witnesses acting so leisurely and take so much time to silence some one who ad nothing to threaten them with.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    253

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen

    Quote Originally Posted by theme View Post
    One of the only reporters to get a private interview with Jack Ruby, the killer of Lee Harvey Oswald, was nationally syndicated columnist Dorothy Kilgallen, who prevailed on lawyer Joe Tomahill to arrange a meeting with presiding Judge Joe B. Brown. She claimed to have a message for Ruby from a mutual friend who "may have been in some kind of singer."

    But on November 8th, 1965, there was one less reporter. That day Dorothy Kilagallen was found dead in her home.

    Kilagallen joined the ranks of the many who knew something related to the assassination and ended up dead.

    Let's read what the ultimate spin doctor in the Kennedy Assassination Cover-up Milwaukee Professor John McAdams says about Killgallen:

    Dead in the Wake of the Kennedy Assassination

    Dorothy Kilgallen: Mysterious Death?




    If you believe what the conspiracy books tell you, and know little else about the case, then the death of Dorothy Kilgallen, like many deaths of people tangentially connected to the case, seems "mysterious." Kilgallen, a gossip columnist for the New York Journal-American and a panelist on the popular game show "What's My Line" was found dead in her New York City apartment on November 8, 1965.
    How was she connected to the Kennedy assassination, and why was her death "mysterious?" Conspiracy author Jim Marrs explains:
    Whatever information Kilgallen learned and from whatever source, many researchers believe it brought about her strange death. She told attorney Mark Lane: "They've killed the President, [and] the government is not prepared to tell us the truth . . . " and that she planned to "break the case." To other friends she said: "This has to be a conspiracy! . . . I'm going to break the real story and have the biggest scoop of the century." And in her last column item regarding the assassination, published on September 3, 1965, Kilgallen wrote: "This story isn't going to die as long as there's a real reporter alove — and there are a lot of them." But on November 8, 1965, there was one less reporter. That day Dorothy Kilgallen was found dead in her home. It was initially reported that she died of a heart attack, but quickly this was changed to an overdose of alcohol and pills. (Crossfire, p. 425)

    How much of this is true, and how much of what's true is "mysterious?"
    Let's start with the story as reported in Kilgallen's own paper, the Journal-American.
    Dorothy Kilgallen, famed columnist of the Journal-American, died today at her home, 45 E. 68th St. She was 52.
    Miss Kilgallen died in her sleep. She was found by a maid and a hairdresser who came to the home to keep a 12:15 p.m. appointment. Alongside her bed was a book which she apparently had been reading before falling asleep.
    She had written her last column, which appears in today's editions, early in the morning and had sent it to The Journal-American offices by messenger at 2:30 am.
    . . . Miss Kilgallen's husband, actor and producer Richard Kollmar, and their youngest child, Kerry, were sleeping in other rooms when she died.
    The article notes that Kilgallen's father said that Kilgallen "apparently suffered a heart attack." Marrs makes this out to be a sinister "story," but it clearly was the speculation of a grieving father who knew his daughter had been found dead with no evidence of foul play.
    A week later, in the Nov. 15, 1965 number, the Journal-American quoted Assistant Medical Examiner James Luke on what happened:
    The death of Dorothy Kilgallen, Journal-American columnist and famed TV personality, was contributed to by a combination of moderate quantities of alcohol and barbiturates, a medical examiner's report stated today.
    . . .
    As many personalities whose multiple duties and responsibilities demand unceasing attention, Miss Kilgallen experienced recurring tensions in meeting her deadlines for performances — both as a newspaperwoman and TV performer. In his report today, Dr. James Luke, Assistant Medical Examiner, said that although Miss Kilgallen had only "moderate amounts of each," the effect of the combination had caused depression of the central nervous system "which in turn caused her heart to stop."
    The details of Kilgallen's death are recorded in documents produced by the office of the Medical Examiner. These are National Archives Record Number 1801007110433 — Agency File number 007250 from the House Select Committee on Assassinations.
    This set of documents includes the "Report of Death" form from the Office of Chief Medical Examiner, the "Autopsy Report" (with the autopsy being performed by Junior Medical Examiner James Luke with doctors Sturner and Baden present), a handwritten addendum to the "Autopsy Report" that gave the microscopic and chemical findings, and "Notice of Death" of the Office of Chief Medical Examiner of the City of New York.
    Key points include:
    1. Her husband was with her in her New York east side apartment, although not in the same bedroom.
    2. Her husband said she returned from "What's My Line" feeling chipper. She went to her bedroom. The next day he found her dead.
    3. The examination of the body at the scene found "no trauma" and "no signs violence" [sic].
    4. The autopsy found no injuries whatsoever that could account for her death, nor any evidence of a struggle nor (say) pills being forced down her throat.
    5. The cause of death in the autopsy says "PENDING FURTHER STUDY." A handwritten note below that says "Acute ethanol and barbiturate intoxication. Circumstances undetermined." This handwritten note was apparently based on the chemical findings, which were appended to the report. She had a blood alcohol level of 0.15, and barbiturate level that says "UV - 2.4 [illegible]" in the liver.
    Conclusion? It's really impossible to believe some Oliver Stone scenario of hoods coming into her apartment and forcing a bunch of pills down her throat. Neither the alcohol nor the barbiturate level was absurdly high, as it would be with an intentional overdose. I suppose it's possible she committed suicide by mixing both alcohol and barbiturates intentionally, but this really looks like an accident.
    And she seemed to be in good spirits the night she died. Quoting the Journal-American:
    A member for years of the panel on the nationwide CBS TV show "What's My Line," Miss Kilgallen appeared with the panel last night.
    She was at her usual best, asking probing questions and guessing the occupation of two of the five persons who appeared on the show. "She was in excellent spirits and, as usual, right on the ball," said John Daly, moderator of the show.
    Of course, the Journal-American would have a vested interest in presenting their columnist in the best light. But it's also true that the "Report of Death" quoted her husband saying she was "chipper" after appearing on "What's My Line."
    Interestingly, she was working on a book to be titled Murder One. It was to be a compilation and study of all the trials she had covered — including the Sam Sheppard trial, the Wayne Lonegan trial, the Dr. Bernard Finch trial, as well as the trial of Bruno Hauptman. There is no mention in the article that the book would include the Jack Ruby trial, although it's very logical to assume it would have done so, since she had covered it and it was even more celebrated than the others (Journal-American, Nov. 8, 1965).
    In fact, in the November 15, 1965 article, it is claimed that she was particularly happy that she had completed the preface to her book and submitted it to Bennet Cerf, fellow panelist on "What's My Line" and "a book publisher."
    Still, if she had "broken open" the JFK assassination case, it's very hard to see why she would have relegated her earth-shaking information to a chapter in a book that covered a half-dozen or so murder cases, rather than writing a book on the assassination, or using her column to reveal the nature of the plot. In fact, she had written numerous columns on the assassination. None of the columns, however, contained any earth shaking information. Rather, they just repeated conspiracy factoids that had been, or soon would be, all over the JFK assassination literature.
    Her claim that she was going to "break the case" appears to be nothing beyond professional bravado. She never claimed to "have broken" the case, or said "I know who the conspirators were." Whatever her high hopes, there is no evidence that she had any information dangerous to any conspiracy, nor that she would have been able to do what no reporter has done since.
    Her death was thus yet another tragedy trivialized by conspiracist "researchers."
    Return to "Mysterious Deaths" Page
    Back to Kennedy Assassination Home Page

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen

    Quote Originally Posted by eflteacher View Post
    Let's read what the ultimate spin doctor in the Kennedy Assassination Cover-up Milwaukee Professor John McAdams says about Killgallen:

    Dead in the Wake of the Kennedy Assassination

    Dorothy Kilgallen: Mysterious Death?




    If you believe what the conspiracy books tell you, and know little else about the case, then the death of Dorothy Kilgallen, like many deaths of people tangentially connected to the case, seems "mysterious." Kilgallen, a gossip columnist for the New York Journal-American and a panelist on the popular game show "What's My Line" was found dead in her New York City apartment on November 8, 1965.
    How was she connected to the Kennedy assassination, and why was her death "mysterious?" Conspiracy author Jim Marrs explains:
    Whatever information Kilgallen learned and from whatever source, many researchers believe it brought about her strange death. She told attorney Mark Lane: "They've killed the President, [and] the government is not prepared to tell us the truth . . . " and that she planned to "break the case." To other friends she said: "This has to be a conspiracy! . . . I'm going to break the real story and have the biggest scoop of the century." And in her last column item regarding the assassination, published on September 3, 1965, Kilgallen wrote: "This story isn't going to die as long as there's a real reporter alove — and there are a lot of them." But on November 8, 1965, there was one less reporter. That day Dorothy Kilgallen was found dead in her home. It was initially reported that she died of a heart attack, but quickly this was changed to an overdose of alcohol and pills. (Crossfire, p. 425)

    How much of this is true, and how much of what's true is "mysterious?"
    Let's start with the story as reported in Kilgallen's own paper, the Journal-American.
    Dorothy Kilgallen, famed columnist of the Journal-American, died today at her home, 45 E. 68th St. She was 52.
    Miss Kilgallen died in her sleep. She was found by a maid and a hairdresser who came to the home to keep a 12:15 p.m. appointment. Alongside her bed was a book which she apparently had been reading before falling asleep.
    She had written her last column, which appears in today's editions, early in the morning and had sent it to The Journal-American offices by messenger at 2:30 am.
    . . . Miss Kilgallen's husband, actor and producer Richard Kollmar, and their youngest child, Kerry, were sleeping in other rooms when she died.
    The article notes that Kilgallen's father said that Kilgallen "apparently suffered a heart attack." Marrs makes this out to be a sinister "story," but it clearly was the speculation of a grieving father who knew his daughter had been found dead with no evidence of foul play.
    A week later, in the Nov. 15, 1965 number, the Journal-American quoted Assistant Medical Examiner James Luke on what happened:
    The death of Dorothy Kilgallen, Journal-American columnist and famed TV personality, was contributed to by a combination of moderate quantities of alcohol and barbiturates, a medical examiner's report stated today.
    . . .
    As many personalities whose multiple duties and responsibilities demand unceasing attention, Miss Kilgallen experienced recurring tensions in meeting her deadlines for performances — both as a newspaperwoman and TV performer. In his report today, Dr. James Luke, Assistant Medical Examiner, said that although Miss Kilgallen had only "moderate amounts of each," the effect of the combination had caused depression of the central nervous system "which in turn caused her heart to stop."
    The details of Kilgallen's death are recorded in documents produced by the office of the Medical Examiner. These are National Archives Record Number 1801007110433 — Agency File number 007250 from the House Select Committee on Assassinations.
    This set of documents includes the "Report of Death" form from the Office of Chief Medical Examiner, the "Autopsy Report" (with the autopsy being performed by Junior Medical Examiner James Luke with doctors Sturner and Baden present), a handwritten addendum to the "Autopsy Report" that gave the microscopic and chemical findings, and "Notice of Death" of the Office of Chief Medical Examiner of the City of New York.
    Key points include:
    1. Her husband was with her in her New York east side apartment, although not in the same bedroom.
    2. Her husband said she returned from "What's My Line" feeling chipper. She went to her bedroom. The next day he found her dead.
    3. The examination of the body at the scene found "no trauma" and "no signs violence" [sic].
    4. The autopsy found no injuries whatsoever that could account for her death, nor any evidence of a struggle nor (say) pills being forced down her throat.
    5. The cause of death in the autopsy says "PENDING FURTHER STUDY." A handwritten note below that says "Acute ethanol and barbiturate intoxication. Circumstances undetermined." This handwritten note was apparently based on the chemical findings, which were appended to the report. She had a blood alcohol level of 0.15, and barbiturate level that says "UV - 2.4 [illegible]" in the liver.
    Conclusion? It's really impossible to believe some Oliver Stone scenario of hoods coming into her apartment and forcing a bunch of pills down her throat. Neither the alcohol nor the barbiturate level was absurdly high, as it would be with an intentional overdose. I suppose it's possible she committed suicide by mixing both alcohol and barbiturates intentionally, but this really looks like an accident.
    And she seemed to be in good spirits the night she died. Quoting the Journal-American:
    A member for years of the panel on the nationwide CBS TV show "What's My Line," Miss Kilgallen appeared with the panel last night.
    She was at her usual best, asking probing questions and guessing the occupation of two of the five persons who appeared on the show. "She was in excellent spirits and, as usual, right on the ball," said John Daly, moderator of the show.
    Of course, the Journal-American would have a vested interest in presenting their columnist in the best light. But it's also true that the "Report of Death" quoted her husband saying she was "chipper" after appearing on "What's My Line."
    Interestingly, she was working on a book to be titled Murder One. It was to be a compilation and study of all the trials she had covered — including the Sam Sheppard trial, the Wayne Lonegan trial, the Dr. Bernard Finch trial, as well as the trial of Bruno Hauptman. There is no mention in the article that the book would include the Jack Ruby trial, although it's very logical to assume it would have done so, since she had covered it and it was even more celebrated than the others (Journal-American, Nov. 8, 1965).
    In fact, in the November 15, 1965 article, it is claimed that she was particularly happy that she had completed the preface to her book and submitted it to Bennet Cerf, fellow panelist on "What's My Line" and "a book publisher."
    Still, if she had "broken open" the JFK assassination case, it's very hard to see why she would have relegated her earth-shaking information to a chapter in a book that covered a half-dozen or so murder cases, rather than writing a book on the assassination, or using her column to reveal the nature of the plot. In fact, she had written numerous columns on the assassination. None of the columns, however, contained any earth shaking information. Rather, they just repeated conspiracy factoids that had been, or soon would be, all over the JFK assassination literature.
    Her claim that she was going to "break the case" appears to be nothing beyond professional bravado. She never claimed to "have broken" the case, or said "I know who the conspirators were." Whatever her high hopes, there is no evidence that she had any information dangerous to any conspiracy, nor that she would have been able to do what no reporter has done since.
    Her death was thus yet another tragedy trivialized by conspiracist "researchers."
    Return to "Mysterious Deaths" Page
    Back to Kennedy Assassination Home Page

    There was nothing mysterious about her death and she was not murdered sorry.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    253

    Education Forum

    http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/in...showtopic=5421


    On 8th November, 1965, Kilgallen, was found dead in her New York apartment. She was fully dressed and sitting upright in her bed. The police reported that she had died from taking a cocktail of alcohol and barbiturates. The notes of her interview with Ruby and the article she was writing on the case had disappeared. Her friend, Margaret Smith, who had been given the notes on the case, died two days later. The notes were never found.

    I carried out a search on Kilgallen on the web. The first batch of pages contained information that I already knew about Kilgallen and were just recycled details that have appeared in various books about the assassination of Kennedy. However, I eventually came across an anti-Castro website. It included newspaper accounts revealing details of what Castro had been up to over the last fifty years. One account was a newspaper article written by Kilgallen for New York Journal American on 15th July, 1959. Like the other articles on the site it was highly critical of Castro. It also contained something else that surprised me a great deal. Kilgallen claimed that the CIA and the Mafia were involved in a plot to assassinate Fidel Castro. We now know this was true but it only became public knowledge during the Frank Church’s Select Committee on Intelligence Activities in 1975. This article was written in July, 1959. Kilgallen was obviously well-informed about what was going on in the CIA at that time.

    I continued my search and I eventually came across something that was even more interesting. It was the notes of a CIA report on Marilyn Monroe. Dated 3rd August, 1962, the actual report had been withheld but the notes themselves were very revealing. The report was based on the wire-tap of certain people’s telephone calls. This included those of Kilgallen, Marilyn Monroe, Robert Kennedy and Howard Rothberg, a lawyer working for Monroe. The CIA document claims that Monroe was threatening to tell secrets that she had obtained from her relationship with John F. Kennedy. This included the claim that Monroe "knew of the President's plan to kill Castro". It appears Rothberg was passing on information from Monroe to Kilgallen. The notes of course do not say what the CIA planned to do about this. That would have been in the report that is still being withheld. What we do know is that Marilyn Monroe was found dead two days after this report was written.

    This raises a new question about the death of Kilgallen (she died in similar circumstances to Monroe). Was she killed because of what she knew about the Kennedy assassination or was it more to do with what she knew about the death of Marilyn Monroe?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Education Forum

    Quote Originally Posted by eflteacher View Post
    http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/in...showtopic=5421


    On 8th November, 1965, Kilgallen, was found dead in her New York apartment. She was fully dressed and sitting upright in her bed. The police reported that she had died from taking a cocktail of alcohol and barbiturates. The notes of her interview with Ruby and the article she was writing on the case had disappeared. Her friend, Margaret Smith, who had been given the notes on the case, died two days later. The notes were never found.

    I carried out a search on Kilgallen on the web. The first batch of pages contained information that I already knew about Kilgallen and were just recycled details that have appeared in various books about the assassination of Kennedy. However, I eventually came across an anti-Castro website. It included newspaper accounts revealing details of what Castro had been up to over the last fifty years. One account was a newspaper article written by Kilgallen for New York Journal American on 15th July, 1959. Like the other articles on the site it was highly critical of Castro. It also contained something else that surprised me a great deal. Kilgallen claimed that the CIA and the Mafia were involved in a plot to assassinate Fidel Castro. We now know this was true but it only became public knowledge during the Frank Church’s Select Committee on Intelligence Activities in 1975. This article was written in July, 1959. Kilgallen was obviously well-informed about what was going on in the CIA at that time.

    I continued my search and I eventually came across something that was even more interesting. It was the notes of a CIA report on Marilyn Monroe. Dated 3rd August, 1962, the actual report had been withheld but the notes themselves were very revealing. The report was based on the wire-tap of certain people’s telephone calls. This included those of Kilgallen, Marilyn Monroe, Robert Kennedy and Howard Rothberg, a lawyer working for Monroe. The CIA document claims that Monroe was threatening to tell secrets that she had obtained from her relationship with John F. Kennedy. This included the claim that Monroe "knew of the President's plan to kill Castro". It appears Rothberg was passing on information from Monroe to Kilgallen. The notes of course do not say what the CIA planned to do about this. That would have been in the report that is still being withheld. What we do know is that Marilyn Monroe was found dead two days after this report was written.

    This raises a new question about the death of Kilgallen (she died in similar circumstances to Monroe). Was she killed because of what she knew about the Kennedy assassination or was it more to do with what she knew about the death of Marilyn Monroe?

    Neither of them were killed.

    Once again you fail to show any mystery in their deaths.

    If you watch the news you may notice that celebrities OFTEN have drug and alcohol problems occasionally they die from them.

    You are very wrong about public knowledge concerning efforts to assassinate Castro. The Frank Church Committee was merely when the government admitted to it however the MSM had known about it and had been talking or writing about it for a long time. Kilgallen had no special insight she was covering what others at the time were covering.

    Wiretapping of Monroe RFK and ohers means nothing. The time was the cold war and the government was doing many thing which it continues to do today and causes scandals in doing so.

    J Edgar Hoover seems to have wiretapped nearly everyone he knew. The CIA may well have done so also.

    But so what? this is not evidence of anything except that te government gets out of hand.

    Once again no one has any credible evidence of any wrong doing here the woman simply drank herself to death.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    253

    Dorothy Kilgallen Lee Israel

    I encourage people to buy the book by Lee Isael because I have seen two pieces of evidence that make the Dorothy Kilgallen murder theory plausible.

    Of course, we don't have evidence that the "accidental" death of any celebrity really was murder. I believe Princess Diana was murdered, but I also believe that we will never get evidence of it. Dodi Fayed's father is chasing his tail.

    So posterity needs to evaluate each mysterious death according to how plausible the murder theory is. Lee Israel puts in this book some evidence that a broken love affair with Johnnie Ray and the fall of the Hearst newspaper empire gave Dorothy Kilgallen trouble sleeping, and she *could have* mixed barbiturates with booze. But Lee also details the strange circumstances of Dorothy's death. Police and medical examiner reports say her body was found in a bed in which she never slept. Nobody slept in it. It was a showroom to convince celebrity houseguests who partied in the next room that everything was hunky dory in the 25 - year marriage of Dorothy and her husband Richard Kollmar.

    There was no pill bottle on the bedside table or anywhere else in the death scene. Dorothy had fallen "asleep" while reading a new novel by Robert Ruark, even though she had said in her newspaper column four months earlier that the protagonist of the book dies in the end. She had discussed said novel with her hairdresser Marc Sinclaire some weeks before cops and doctors found the book in her dead hand. She had told Mr. Sinclaire that she had enjoyed the work after having finished reading it.
    That's what you will find in this book.

    Now I'll add the two things I've seen while sight seeing. First, you can find Dorothy Kilgallen's death certificate at the National Archives in Maryland, a popular tourist site. In the section where the doctor makes the classification of natural causes, suicide, homicide, etc., the thing says "undetermined pending further investigation." Strangely, the deputy medical examiner of Brooklyn signed it "for James Luke," the chief medical examiner. Kilgallen died in the borough of Manhattan, and Dr. Luke had no reason not to sign it. He visited the death scene for 45 minutes, according to the Washington Post obituary. That Brooklyn deputy M.E., Dominick Di Maio, is still alive.

    The second thing I've seen that's not in the book is a video interview with criminal defense attorney Joe Tonahill preserved at Lamar University in Texas. On it he says his last telephone conversation with Dorothy Kilgallen happened a short time before she died, "maybe a week before." They planned to participate in a radio talk show about the JFK assassination, but she died before the plans could materialize. Shortly before that conversation, Dorothy visited Miami to discuss Oswald, etc. on the talk show of a young Larry King. The same Larry now on CNN. You won't find the death certificate or the Tonahill video interview in this book, but what it does have will hold you spellbound.
    Last edited by eflteacher; 06-19-2009 at 06:04 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen Lee Israel

    Quote Originally Posted by eflteacher View Post
    I encourage people to buy the book by Lee Isael because I have seen two pieces of evidence that make the Dorothy Kilgallen murder theory plausible.

    Of course, we don't have evidence that the "accidental" death of any celebrity really was murder. I believe Princess Diana was murdered, but I also believe that we will never get evidence of it. Dodi Fayed's father is chasing his tail.

    So posterity needs to evaluate each mysterious death according to how plausible the murder theory is. Lee Israel puts in this book some evidence that a broken love affair with Johnnie Ray and the fall of the Hearst newspaper empire gave Dorothy Kilgallen trouble sleeping, and she *could have* mixed barbiturates with booze. But Lee also details the strange circumstances of Dorothy's death. Police and medical examiner reports say her body was found in a bed in which she never slept. Nobody slept in it. It was a showroom to convince celebrity houseguests who partied in the next room that everything was hunky dory in the 25 - year marriage of Dorothy and her husband Richard Kollmar.

    There was no pill bottle on the bedside table or anywhere else in the death scene. Dorothy had fallen "asleep" while reading a new novel by Robert Ruark, even though she had said in her newspaper column four months earlier that the protagonist of the book dies in the end. She had discussed said novel with her hairdresser Marc Sinclaire some weeks before cops and doctors found the book in her dead hand. She had told Mr. Sinclaire that she had enjoyed the work after having finished reading it.
    That's what you will find in this book.

    Now I'll add the two things I've seen while sight seeing. First, you can find Dorothy Kilgallen's death certificate at the National Archives in Maryland, a popular tourist site. In the section where the doctor makes the classification of natural causes, suicide, homicide, etc., the thing says "undetermined pending further investigation." Strangely, the deputy medical examiner of Brooklyn signed it "for James Luke," the chief medical examiner. Kilgallen died in the borough of Manhattan, and Dr. Luke had no reason not to sign it. He visited the death scene for 45 minutes, according to the Washington Post obituary. That Brooklyn deputy M.E., Dominick Di Maio, is still alive.

    The second thing I've seen that's not in the book is a video interview with criminal defense attorney Joe Tonahill preserved at Lamar University in Texas. On it he says his last telephone conversation with Dorothy Kilgallen happened a short time before she died, "maybe a week before." They planned to participate in a radio talk show about the JFK assassination, but she died before the plans could materialize. Shortly before that conversation, Dorothy visited Miami to discuss Oswald, etc. on the talk show of a young Larry King. The same Larry now on CNN. You won't find the death certificate or the Tonahill video interview in this book, but what it does have will hold you spellbound.

    No one said any of these deaths were accidental but we do have evidence that they were not murdered. In the case of Kilgallen and Monroe we have corners reports which detail the causes of death.

    They both died of self induced drug and alcohol abuse. No evidence discounts this.

    So she read a book she had already read. Many people do this especially if they like the book.

    So someone claims there was no pill bottle next to her ( no documentation of this ). So what? many people take pills and leave the bottle in a medicine cabinet or bathroom.

    So she talked to some people about discussing JFK and the assassination.
    No surprise there since she had been doing that for some months in an effort to revive her career.

    So she was found in a room set aside for photographs . Yes she may have wanted attractive surroundings in her last moments.

    Finally yes it is normal for deputy officials to sign for their superiors when that said superior is unavailable.

    None of this is even circumstantial there is nothing mysterious about her self inflicted death. Or Monroe's or Diana's

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    253

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen Lee Israel

    No one said this case was easy to figure out.

    There will be more to come - - I just don't want you to think my absence means anything.

    Anyway, this doesn’t change the reprehensible and criminally negligent behavior of the Secret Service in Dealy Plaza, nor does it change the fact that Kennedy was hit from the front, as well as from the back.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen Lee Israel

    Quote Originally Posted by eflteacher View Post
    No one said this case was easy to figure out.

    There will be more to come - - I just don't want you to think my absence means anything.

    Anyway, this doesn’t change the reprehensible and criminally negligent behavior of the Secret Service in Dealy Plaza, nor does it change the fact that Kennedy was hit from the front, as well as from the back.
    The Secret Service was I suppose reprehensibly negligent but not criminal.

    Sorry but the law defines crime you do not and what they did was a massive and fatal error but not criminal.

    Also it is falsehood that he was hit from the front he was hit from the back only both in the chest and head the bullets came from Oswald's position and no where else. Those I am afraid are true facts.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    253

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen Lee Israel

    Let's let the lawyers figure that one out.

    However, according to the Warren Report, blood and brain matter from Kennedy's head shot splattered onto the Secret Service follow up car and Dallas Police Department motorcycle riders BEHIND Kennedy.

    You are willlfully ignorant if you can not accept this.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen Lee Israel

    Quote Originally Posted by eflteacher View Post
    Let's let the lawyers figure that one out.

    However, according to the Warren Report, blood and brain matter from Kennedy's head shot splattered onto the Secret Service follow up car and Dallas Police Department motorcycle riders BEHIND Kennedy.

    You are willlfully ignorant if you can not accept this.
    I never denied it the problem is absolute fact that head wounds from high power bullets are always explosive and blood , brain , skull and tissue will splatter EVERYWHERE including back towards the direction of the gun.

    Anyone unfortunate enough to have shot someone in the head will testify to this since they are always splattered with the stuff. Even when they think they are standing far enough away.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    253

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen Lee Israel

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    I never denied it the problem is absolute fact that head wounds from high power bullets are always explosive and blood , brain , skull and tissue will splatter EVERYWHERE including back towards the direction of the gun.

    Anyone unfortunate enough to have shot someone in the head will testify to this since they are always splattered with the stuff. Even when they think they are standing far enough away.
    You are a damn fool. There were no brains in the front of the car, only in the back of the limousine and on the Secret Service Agents in the FOLLOW UP CAR.

    Matter did NOT go everywhere; it went in the direction of the force of the bullet , like it should.

    Quit trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

    From page 399 "Kilgallen" by Lee Israel How might it avail someone to "disinform" some of the members of the medical examiners office in 1965?

    To furnish data that is consistant with accident rather than suicide?


    Suicides must be investigated to exclude the possibility of foul play.


    More will come from; "Kilgallen" by Lee Israel.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen Lee Israel

    Quote Originally Posted by eflteacher View Post
    You are a damn fool. There were no brains in the front of the car, only in the back of the limousine and on the Secret Service Agents in the FOLLOW UP CAR.

    Matter did NOT go everywhere; it went in the direction of the force of the bullet , like it should.

    Quit trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

    From page 399 "Kilgallen" by Lee Israel How might it avail someone to "disinform" some of the members of the medical examiners office in 1965?

    To furnish data that is consistant with accident rather than suicide?


    Suicides must be investigated to exclude the possibility of foul play.


    More will come from; "Kilgallen" by Lee Israel.

    One more time it is you playing the role of the fool because matter from head wounds tend to go against the direction of the bullet in most cases that is fact you deny.

    You are also wrong about matter from the wound in the front of the limo. Some blood and matter was indeed found and documented n the front of the limo. Not as much but some , including significant splatter on the inside of the limos windshield.

    Kilgallen's suicide WAS properly investigated and foul play ruled out and nothing more will ever follow because she is dead the case is over and she killed herself.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    253

    Re: Dorothy Kilgallen Lee Israel

    Now I know you are a misinformed idiot because suicide was not the conclusion.

Similar Threads

  1. Reign Group/Dorothy Giddens
    By akdmks in forum Work at Home Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •