+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Be a Travel Agent - Real or Not?

Um Garyknows I was just curious how long you have been an expert in the travel industry? I see you have said you are an "Ace Marketer". Well that is nice but my understanding is you are supposed to research your market before you can evaluate it and not just use personal opinion. Your comments are kinda like saying why should anyone invent Google? Anyone can search the internet and find out all the information you could want. Well Google came along as a free service and all it does is search the internet and pull up results. How big is the company now and what are they branching out into? Yahoo had a chance to buy Google and they turned it down. I guess they were kinda like you and said it is already being done so why should someone try to improve or change it? Understand that travel accounts for over $6 trillion dollars in spending and according to CNN Money.
    "Travel is the single largest category of e-commerce, accounting for 43% of all online spending" - Dan Hess, CNN Money
    WorldVentures performs a search much the same as Google does for the internet. They go out and search travel sites for the best deals. They pull up the results and then lets the consumer decide between the various flights, vacation packages, cruises and other trips and services we search.

Why get into the industry? Babyboomers are retiring and many want to travel. They have changed every industry they have been in. They are retiring at a rate of 10,000 per day. Travel will jump to an estimated $10-12 trillion in the next 5-6 years. A small piece of that pie would do me fine. Why don't you research a little more and get back to us.

Nuff said. L8 :cool:
    Last edited by Just_Curious; 07-29-2006 at 10:14 PM.

OK TXBABE72 - do you have that CLIA card yet, that you have been promised? lol

OR have you been told countless lies why WorldVentures hasn't been able to get them yet, like GTT.

I have mine (2006) and just took the test (and passed) for the 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by gulliversman

OR have you been told countless lies why WorldVentures hasn't been able to get them yet, like GTT.

Here is a easy way to find out if any travel venture is legit. Find out the agents IATAN and CLIA #s then go to those websites and enter them in. It will either be active or inactive.
    So Gulliversman, where are your member #s to check if you are telling the truth?

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by gulliversman

I am not part of WV nor do I have anything to do with GTT. I have (had) a client that said she was going to fax me a copy of hers when she received it (she never has)...but, I am a contract agent. As far as a CLIA card-no, I do not have none...I have an IATAN card..not an RTA...an IATAN card.

HEY JUNIOR, Travel sales program sound very good, but i feel they are too restrictive in that your limited to people wanting to vacation to make a sale. Also pitching to your friends and family can have mixed results. I have tried several different methods to make money on the net and have found there are no get rich quick ones. I began to have sucess when i realized i needed an education in marketing and finanical freedom, not just get rich now, there's a big difference. You'll have a learning curve no matter where you go, and i've found having commited mentors to guide me cut that curve down. I'd be glad to talk to you about it. thanks Chip

I once thought about making a serious commitment to those travel agency companies, back when travel was on it's boom. Up front fees with no for sure pay was sort of a risk I couldn't afford back in my college days. Looking back, many of those I knew who paid did it for short time and back to their day jobs and no bragging rights.

I would defenitely stay away from Global Travel International. I joined them last year in the hopes of making money with them and haven't made a dime. I just cancelled my agreement with them. To join you have to sign a year long agreement and you don't get paid your commissions until after the person gets back from their trip. Most people that contact you are only "price checking" for the trips they want to take and don't book from you anyway. I think Global Travel was expensive and people could find better travel deals on other internet travel websites. I know I did for myself.

There are lots of scams and MLMs posing as legit travel companies, as well as bona fide host agencies. For one, America's Travel Companies has been in business since 1991 and has all the industry certifications. It is a very low key operation and has strong vendor support. Hundreds of Independant Travel Agents have benefitted from their relationship with ATC. Although it is not an MLM, they do have a tiered system that rewards agents for participating in the mentoring of new agents.
    Batson

What are the requirements to get a travel agent license in the States? If someone with extensive experience in the travel industry was moving to the USA and looking to get a job with a travel agency, would he need to get the license first in order to find work? Or could he get it through the agency? Other places in the world don't necessarily require an agency employee to have any certification as long as he's qualified for the job, and I'm wondering what the red tape would be like. Are travel companies even hiring?

I was just looking at a video for KHM Travel and doing a bit of research on this company (scam.com came up). It appears that they charge you a monthly fee ($49) as well as a start up fee.

I'm still not sure if they are completely legit.

YTB :rotz: is a "hot mess" as of right now (lots of regulators coming after them, lots of company changes,etc...) and I would suggest anyone to stay clear of that company until (IF) things get better.

Since this question does come up a lot I thought I give it a shot and give my opinion on the subject of getting into the travel industry.

As someone mentioned earlier you can become an affiliate of any number of those online travel sites and get into the industry that way. This is what I've done and it's easier and faster than becoming a travel agent from "scratch."

The other thing you can do is work with a "host" agency and get in this way. Search out local agencies in your home town and see if you can work "under" them and get in this way.

Good luck to all

Feel them too many restrictions, and you want to go on vacation, do sales. In addition, the pitching to your friends and family can have different results.

It is a great profession with a lot of advantages. All you need is to find a reputable company that will give you a chance to practice your career. People who are travelling do not like inconveniences

Have you guys ever been to the Vatican? I would really like to see this city. It attracts me as a historical and cultural value.

Re: Be a Travel Agent - Real or Not scam , thing of the past

it is not a scam in the real sense but most travel agents are a thing of the past. Now with most airlines and hotels online most people go to the website or to websites like expedia, orbits or hotels and just book their travel right there even rental cars company use their own websites so the function of the travel agent is a thing of the past. this outfit makes money off you the un suspecting they charge but realize you will not have too many clients and then leave in disgust. so they charge legitimate but in reality a travel agent is a thing of the past. most people do not use them in this day and age. so FORGET IT

Hey. In the Vatican there are many wonderful places to visit and one of these places is a Museum. You can learn how to buy tickets for a trip to the Museum from a fascinating article https://rome.us/tips/how-to-buy-tick...n-museums.html. Personally, next summer I really want to visit the Vatican, yet it is one of the most interesting and important cities in the world.