+ Reply to Thread

Can we change attitude?

Can we change attitude?

Solitude is a valuable resource when changes of mental attitude are required—“solitude can be as therapeutic as emotional support from a friend”.

Our way of thinking about life and ourselves is so habitual that it takes time and effort to change attitudes—people find it difficult to make changes in attitude but solitude and perhaps changes in environment facilitate changes in attitude because habit is fortified by external environment—religion is well aware of these facts—only through experience of change in environment can one know if such change will facilitate change in attitude—“one needs not just solitude but one needs to be able to sink roots into some replenishing philosophy also”.

Solitude is not to subject oneself to sensor deprivation, which can lead to hallucinations. One needs the stimulation of the senses and the intellect.

Imagination—solitude can facilitate the growth of imagination—imagination has given humans flexibility but has robbed her of contentment—our non-human ancestors are governed by pre-programmed patterns-- these preprogrammed patterns have inhibited growth when the environment changes—humans are governed primarily by learning and transmission of culture from generation to generation and is thus more able to adapt—“for humans so little is predetermined by nature and so much is dependent upon learning”—happiness, the contentment with the status quo is only a fleeting feeling—“divine discontent” is the gift of our nature that brings moments of ecstasy and a life time of discontent—the present is such a fleeting part of our reality that we are almost always in the past or the future.

I think that a regular dose of solitude is very important for everyone, young and old. Does that make sense to you? I think that each individual needs to make radical adjustments in their attitude toward learning when school dazes are over. Solitude might be helpful in facilitating such adjustments.

This stuff comes from reading “Solitude: A Return to the Self” by Anthony Storr. Most of this is snatches of text that is sometimes a paraphrase and sometimes a quotation

Re: Can we change attitude?

we might endeavor to ask each person who frequents this topic how they experience solitude in their own life? you could define ideal solitude as a rock solid feeling of confidence unrooted in any need for control or domination/participation? from that perspective,all/many things are exploratively possible? whether seclusion/withdrawal/isolation are necessary steps to learn this feeling/state of being is up for speculation/debate?

so how do i achieve solitude as well as I can? my small cabin retreat in the burbs where i sit at my computer while listening to different forms of music,mostly meditative?(http://www.last.fm/music/Meditation?autostart=1) it's also my putz around shop where i do my fun hobby mechanical/electrical tinker/fixit/breakit work! :smurf:
    Last edited by lexx; 04-05-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

I would say that in my life I have made several attitude changes.

My most dramatic attitude change was made when I went to army boot camp and my civilian attitude was changed into a military attitude. The primary purpose of boot camp, in my judgment, was to make this very dramatic attitude change. This required eight weeks of intensive 24/7 effort by a cadre of military officers and enlisted men.

My next big attitude change came with marriage and parenthood.

Wiki informs me that Jung’s definition of attitude is “readiness of the psyche to act or react in a certain way”. He thought that attitude often displayed itself in a dual manner: consciousness/unconsciousness, extraversion/introversion, thinking/feeling, rational/irrational, and individual/social.

Yes we can...I do it quite a few times during the day depending what is happening at the moment in my life.
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Peregrine...you might find this cool. This is a site I designed a number of years ago for the Travelers. (I also installed the cameras) We have a pair of nesting Peregrine falcons that come back every year to nest and reproduce. Currently, "Amelia" has three eggs she is keeping warm.

Check it out from time to time to see when and if they hatch. Falcon cam 2 offers the best view

Enjoy

http://falconcam.travelers.com
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    Peregrine...you might find this cool. This is a site I designed a number of years ago for the Travelers. (I also installed the cameras) We have a pair of nesting Peregrine falcons that come back every year to nest and reproduce. Currently, "Amelia" has three eggs she is keeping warm.

Check it out from time to time to see when and if they hatch. Falcon cam 2 offers the best view

Enjoy

http://falconcam.travelers.com
    How kind of you...yes I am a bird woman...I'm watching one other...I only see two eggs. Its strange to see four eggs just sitting out in the open..I'll keep a watch...Thanks

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Man, you have no idea how loud the chicks can be. When we grabbed them from the nest to tag them....the screeching was unbelievable. Not too mention, Ameila was dive-bombing the guy from the nature center....was really something to see.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    Man, you have no idea how loud the chicks can be. When we grabbed them from the nest to tag them....the screeching was unbelievable. Not too mention, Ameila was dive-bombing the guy from the nature center....was really something to see.
    They are fierce little raptors for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    Wiki informs me that Jung’s definition of attitude is “readiness of the psyche to act or react in a certain way”. He thought that attitude often displayed itself in a dual manner: consciousness/unconsciousness, extraversion/introversion, thinking/feeling, rational/irrational, and individual/social.

act and or react. the meaning of re-act is odd? as if to say,to take natural unquestioned means/urge and not allow it to happen?to divert it/change it/refuse it? why does react exist? what is it's function? does it indicate that all means are not true? not natural according to the defined origin of natural? :smurf:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

legally or technically speaking, NO, we cannot change attitude! attitude is a fixed and permanent force of/behind mind!(do as your told) to rightly define it 1 would say......attitude can change US/ME!! attitude MAKES US/ME!? it's who we are as a person-ality!so then how does 1 go about choosing a personality other than the inherited/influenced 1 and why? :
    Last edited by lexx; 04-07-2009 at 09:20 PM.