+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spooks

Spooks

Just a dumb question...

Does anyone here really, honestly, truly believe in witches, wizards, spooks, ghosts, demons, magic, witchcraft, hoodoo, voodoo, satanism, devils, hobgoblins etc...?

Who thinks that Anton Lavey was really accomplishing something with his rituals?

What about Wicca and their priestesses and whatnot? Think they actually make things happen?

Just curious.

Personally, I think its all a bunch of supersticious nonsense.
    All of it. Through and through.

But what do you think?
    Share your experience if you like.

Re: Spooks

I think it falls under the category of "Things People WANT to Believe."
    http://fitnessvideou.com/
    Where fitness professionals go to learn how to use video to promote their business

People want to justify their deviant behavior, this is just one form.

Many see themselves as failures and this gives them power, real or imagined makes no difference, they still get the power high.

Demons, depends on your definition. Some would call Bush a demon, others Obama.

I believe in ghosts, sort of. I believe that the energy a person has may not always leave when they die. As for the rest of it... to each their own. It's all fiction to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Worried_in_the_USA View Post
    People want to justify their deviant behavior, this is just one form.

Many see themselves as failures and this gives them power, real or imagined makes no difference, they still get the power high.

Demons, depends on your definition. Some would call Bush a demon, others Obama.

Not sure I'm following you here either.......

.......maybe you're on a different wave than me....?

As for that last bit, I think we can just stick to the usual most general definition.

You can call Bush names all you want, but we're not talking politics here. If I wanted to do that, I'd have posted this in the politics forum and asked you if Bush was Lavey's cousin twice removed......

Supernatural entities buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    I believe in ghosts, sort of. I believe that the energy a person has may not always leave when they die. As for the rest of it... to each their own. It's all fiction to me.

Well....doesn't non contained energy disperse?

So if you refer to the "energy" generated in static electrical charge within the human body, would it not eventually die down in the brain?

Surely would not float around within a house or something to be picked up as "impressions" by ghost hunter gear.....

I don't think it's the same kind of energy. I'm currently agnostic (there could be something bigger out there, I don't know), but I don't think that a living beings energy ever really stops. I do think there are instances where someone's energy could remain in an area. Not like a ghost, not like the ghosts on the ghost hunting shows, nothing like that. I don't think that the energy moves things, or makes things happen, or spooks you. I just think that sometime when someone passes, especially unexpectedly, that they don't fully die immediately. I know this may not make sense to you, but when I was a kid I had a couple instances of seeing people (not ghosts, I don't think they were ghosts, hence why I use energy) shortly after they had died. Nothing creepy by any means, I just don't think that their energy had fully dispersed yet.

Don't know if that makes sense... but that's kinda what I think.

Hmmm....

Well, ok....
    Last edited by bibleman; 04-05-2009 at 07:26 PM.

It honestly depends on your point of view and how you interpret such an experience. In your case if you were to approach a spell or ritual with the attitude that it was hokie and superstitious then the spell or ritual would not work for you because that is what you expect to get out of it, nothing.
    The effectiveness of magic and ritual is based on attitude and emotion. As Henry Ford said, “Believe you can, believe you can’t; either way you’re right.” The same holds true for ritual and spell work in Neo-paganism.

Many of the results of spells appear as coincidence and maybe they are just coincidence. However, in magic it doesn't matter how the results manifest themselves what matters is that after the spell takes place something happens. Most often it manifests in ways not expected.

An example is that I meditate on snake, I ask snake for a gift to remember my visit with the spirit animal. In the meditation snake sheds its skin for me as a gift. Often the gift will manifest itself in the “real” world.
    It is cold out I have no idea how snakes gift will manifest for me. A few days later as I walk outside in the cold fall air, come upon a row of birch trees and one of them is shedding its skin. A piece of the bark is flapping in the wind loose and ready to blow away. I grab the bark and carry it home, I am certain this is snakes gift for me as I know that the symbolism of snake and the birch tree are similar, renewal, rebirth, and new beginnings.

Coincidence? Perhaps but it doesn't matter what matters is the message was received from snake and I have a gift to remind me of my visit with snake. That is how magic and ritual in Neo-paganism works. It is usually subtle and one has to be paying attention in order to see the gifts and results of spells and rituals.
    It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."
    -HBT; The Book of Advice 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason View Post
    It honestly depends on your point of view and how you interpret such an experience. In your case if you were to approach a spell or ritual with the attitude that it was hokie and superstitious then the spell or ritual would not work for you because that is what you expect to get out of it, nothing.
    The effectiveness of magic and ritual is based on attitude and emotion. As Henry Ford said, “Believe you can, believe you can’t; either way you’re right.” The same holds true for ritual and spell work in Neo-paganism.

Many of the results of spells appear as coincidence and maybe they are just coincidence. However, in magic it doesn't matter how the results manifest themselves what matters is that after the spell takes place something happens. Most often it manifests in ways not expected.

An example is that I meditate on snake, I ask snake for a gift to remember my visit with the spirit animal. In the meditation snake sheds its skin for me as a gift. Often the gift will manifest itself in the “real” world.
    It is cold out I have no idea how snakes gift will manifest for me. A few days later as I walk outside in the cold fall air, come upon a row of birch trees and one of them is shedding its skin. A piece of the bark is flapping in the wind loose and ready to blow away. I grab the bark and carry it home, I am certain this is snakes gift for me as I know that the symbolism of snake and the birch tree are similar, renewal, rebirth, and new beginnings.

Coincidence? Perhaps but it doesn't matter what matters is the message was received from snake and I have a gift to remind me of my visit with snake. That is how magic and ritual in Neo-paganism works. It is usually subtle and one has to be paying attention in order to see the gifts and results of spells and rituals.

That's along the lines of what I USED to "believe"

.....what you describe is personal subjective experience.

Cannot be proven and holds no weight when scrutinized objectively.

Its all an exercise in psychological mind tricks.

I don't think it's the same kind of energy. I'm currently agnostic (there could be something bigger out there, I don't know), but I don't think that a living beings energy ever really stops. I do think there are instances where someone's energy could remain in an area. Not like a ghost, not like the ghosts on the ghost hunting shows, nothing like that. I don't think that the energy moves things, or makes things happen, or spooks you. I just think that sometime when someone passes, especially unexpectedly, that they don't fully die immediately. I know this may not make sense to you, but when I was a kid I had a couple instances of seeing people (not ghosts, I don't think they were ghosts, hence why I use energy) shortly after they had died. Nothing creepy by any means, I just don't think that their energy had fully dispersed yet.

Some think that people leave an impression on the space around them kind of like a recording especially at times of high stress or energy. Which would explain many sightings that repeat themselves like columns of soldiers passing through a town which are seen from time to time by different people at different times.

If you get my meaning.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post
    That's along the lines of what I USED to "believe"

.....what you describe is personal subjective experience.

Cannot be proven and holds no weight when scrutinized objectively.

Its all an exercise in psychological mind tricks.
    Yes exactly, very subjective and very personal. I've had many experiences that could easily be dismissed as coincidence, unprovable and hold absolutely no weight in scientific terms but what matters is what I get out of it personally. In matters of my spiritual path it doesn't matter what science says I've seen heard or felt.
    I know it isn't rational and I understand that there are other explanations for my experiences which is ok, for my physical world which I differentiate from my spiritual world.

If that makes sense???

Get some friends and a ouija board, and ask for satan.

Dare ya.

I am a non believer, though I could never bring myself to do that.

Though would anyone do that?

I mean what's the worst that could happen?

This is a general response, and not directed at any one person.
    Last edited by howdy; 04-05-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason View Post
    Yes exactly, very subjective and very personal. I've had many experiences that could easily be dismissed as coincidence, unprovable and hold absolutely no weight in scientific terms but what matters is what I get out of it personally. In matters of my spiritual path it doesn't matter what science says I've seen heard or felt.
    I know it isn't rational and I understand that there are other explanations for my experiences which is ok, for my physical world which I differentiate from my spiritual world.

If that makes sense???

Which is no better than christianity or any other religious explanation for the way things work.....

Quote Originally Posted by howdy View Post
    Get some friends and a ouija board, and ask for satan.

Dare ya.

I am a non believer, though I could never bring myself to do that.

Though would anyone do that?

I mean what's the worst that could happen?

Have done.

Of course nothing happened.

Might as well turn your light off and say "Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary" into your bathroom mirror and see if she'll appear....

Light as a feather, stiff as a board.....anyone?

All nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post
    Have done.

Of course nothing happened.

Might as well turn your light off and say "Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary" into your bathroom mirror and see if she'll appear....

Light as a feather, stiff as a board.....anyone?

All nonsense.
    I'm with you. Though no way I am getting a ouija board, and calling for
    satan.

I think the negative energy in doing something like that could cause problems in the life of someone who did that.

Event though satan does not exist. The negative energies that revolve about the belief in satan do.

To focus on something so negative is not right.