+ Reply to Thread

Why is ideology like a prism?

Why is ideology like a prism?

Webster says a prism is “a medium that distorts, slants, or colors whatever is viewed through it”.

It appears to me that Marx was the first great thinker to have coined the word “ideology”. Ideology is a distinctive form of reasoning about the individual and about the individual in society. Ideology is a systematically biased mode of thinking. Ideologies vary extensively in so far as the idioms used, the extent of bias, the degree of sophistication, the manner in which bias permeates various aspects of theory, and so on.

While ideologies vary widely in certain aspects all ideologies share some common characteristics. An identifiable logical structure is shared by all. This structure includes: 1) a moral dimension, 2) it is biased toward a specific group and is biased against those out side this group, 3) an ideology cannot not directly defend it self because it rests on assumptions that have never been critically examined or even formulated, and 4) Marx believes these assumptions to be “nothing more than the intellectual ‘transcripts’ of the conditions of existence of the social group whose point of view it reflects”.

Like viewing the world through a prism, the ideologue experiences the world in a distorted manner. “What a man does not transcend in reality, he cannot effectively transcend in thought either. The limits of his existence are the limits of his thoughts. His basic assumptions are therefore ultimately nothing but his conditions of existence ‘reproduced’ in thought.”

Quotes from Marx’s Theory of Ideology Bhikhu Parekh

Re: Why is ideology like a prism?

= equal epic win yes
    The internet is the last light of truth and hope...it is truly of the people, by the people and for the people. We must not let it be subverted for any purpose other than the truth. And that truth shall spread to every man woman and child across the globe. No longer will those in power carry the sole means to decide for us, yet we now shall have the power to decide to tune them out.

i was just reading some of marx's observations and ruminations and i am blown away as i never expected that a most hated name in politics had such a wonderful understanding of man and his ways? : :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Paladine View Post
    = equal epic win yes
    Three backwards 4's *&&*(are a threat to) 12.5
    Last edited by phlipper; 04-04-2009 at 10:56 PM.

I think that President Bush often spoke the mantra of ideology "you are either with us or against us". This either/or view is the view of ideology. Because high tech has placed extraordinary power into the hands of ordinary people our species is in great danger.

lead/follow/or get out of the way! universal ideology proclamation? :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_a_Glass_Darkly

“a medium that distorts, slants, or colors whatever is viewed through it”. = MSNBC

Last edited by mumbles; 04-05-2009 at 09:33 PM.

is tv abuse any different then drug abuse? and it's legal! (if it's legal it must be good for you?) unlimited available supply leads to overdose? and dysfunction/misfunction? tainted product makes it a quicker demise? we all just want to feel good,and know WHY we should feel good? maybe the latter is the "devil in the details" that we'd be better off without? after all,curiosity killed the cat? after 10 tries of course!:freak3: