+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can we know only what we are prepared to know?

If an individual has never learned to add and subtract that individual cannot learn how to divide and multiply.

Our American educational system, K-12, attempts to teach minimum fundamentals that prepare an individual to function within our high tech society. Our colleges and universities generally augment these fundamentals with some form of specialized knowledge that will make it possible for graduates to obtain good jobs.

Few graduates from our American educational system are prepared to comprehend the very complex type of problems our society encounters. In a democracy such as ours the citizens can choose the politicians to act as their representatives in government. In a democracy such as ours the citizen can veto any public policy that they do not comprehend even though it might be necessary for the survival of the American culture and perhaps even of the survival of the human species.

Under such circumstances is a democratic form of government adequate?

If not what form of government is adequate?

Is it possible for us to educate citizens to the higher level of sophistication that is required to manage a sophisticated high tech society such as ours?

Re: Can we know only what we are prepared to know

I am convinced that we cannot "see" that which we are not prepared to "see"; metaphor ‘know is see’.

It is like walking in a forest such that we are unable to see very far because the trees restrict our view. We can use the analogy of walking in the forest, which to see beyond the surrounding trees we must have the means to climb a tall tree to see a bit further.

Perhaps we might extend the analogy to say that we must have some means to raise our self above the surrounding clutter before we can see a bit further. Only when we find a hill with tall trees and climb one of those trees can we see the mountain ahead, which we might climb and see a mountain range in the distance, which we might travel too so that we can see even further. But as long as we do not climb some trees we cannot see beyond the mundane appearances of our little world of trees that surround us.

i just had the concept that in the future our medium of entertainment will be virtual in nature! a virtual reality device that allows us to be submerged into the reality (show) of our own choosing of what is offered for our enhancement and development of mind/personality? mind modeling might be a good technical name for it? sounds wonderful and potentially dangerous at the same time? :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Re: Can we know only what we are prepared to know?
    I wasn't prepared to find out I had hemorrhoids. Though I was not prepared and am not comfortable with this knowledge, I would say the answer to that deep question is 'no.' Regardless, I have found a preparation.

In a word, it's "belief".

All personal breakthroughs begin with a change in beliefs.

~ Anthony Robbins

Understand that the right to choose your own path is a sacred privilege. Use it. Dwell in possiblity.

~ Oprah Winfrey

And finally...

Take time to accept responsibility. Your life is exactly that - It's your life. It is created by you. You are constantly making choices, constantly creating new experiences. And although we can be affected by circumstances which can seem to be completely out of our control. Essentially, we decide the direction in which we walk.

~ Nicolas Watkins
    It starts and ends with belief.

Knowing, and willing won't cut it. To ACT, one must believe they can pull it off first!

Kerry
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    In a democracy such as ours the citizen can veto any public policy that they do not comprehend even though it might be necessary for the survival of the American culture and perhaps even of the survival of the human species. Under such circumstances is a democratic form of government adequate?
    "Is a democratic form of government adequate"?
    Probably not. But, until we have the politically incorrect nuts to require an intelligence test before being allowed to vote, we will get the kind of government we have now. Careful consideration should also be given before allowing children under the age of 25 to vote. Also, anyone not knowing the difference between a million, a billion, and a trillion, should be neutered first before not being allowed to vote. Finally, as each of us could be excused one mistake, anyone found voting Democrat twice should endure a lifetime voting ban(or be shot).

Quote Originally Posted by phlipper View Post
    "Is a democratic form of government adequate"?
    Probably not. But, until we have the politically incorrect nuts to require an intelligence test before being allowed to vote, we will get the kind of government we have now. Careful consideration should also be given before allowing children under the age of 25 to vote. Also, anyone not knowing the difference between a million, a billion, and a trillion, should be neutered first before not being allowed to vote. Finally, as each of us could be excused one mistake, anyone found voting Democrat twice should endure a lifetime voting ban(or be shot).
    i was just watchin a speech by obama and i noticed he has a distinct 'poker tell' of "tongue in cheek". next time you see him speak, look for it in specific regard to his ambitions/promises/claims! :spin2:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

If an individual has never learned to add and subtract that individual cannot learn how to divide and multiply.

Our American educational system, K-12, attempts to teach minimum fundamentals that prepare an individual to function within our high tech society. Our colleges and universities generally augment these fundamentals with some form of specialized knowledge that will make it possible for graduates to obtain good jobs.

Few graduates from our American educational system are prepared to comprehend the very complex type of problems our society encounters. In a democracy such as ours the citizens can choose the politicians to act as their representatives in government. In a democracy such as ours the citizen can veto any public policy that they do not comprehend even though it might be necessary for the survival of the American culture and perhaps even of the survival of the human species.

Under such circumstances is a democratic form of government adequate?

If not what form of government is adequate?

Is it possible for us to educate citizens to the higher level of sophistication that is required to manage a sophisticated high tech society such as ours?
    what IS the american culture? is it the old idea of the promises that a new and seemingly boundless world of unknown scope and horizons presents to the seemingly unsatisfiable need for complete satisfaction and freedom? :smurf:

I am convinced that we cannot "see" that which we are not prepared to "see"; metaphor ‘know is see’.

It is like walking in a forest such that we are unable to see very far because the trees restrict our view. We can use the analogy of walking in the forest, which to see beyond the surrounding trees we must have the means to climb a tall tree to see a bit further.

Perhaps we might extend the analogy to say that we must have some means to raise our self above the surrounding clutter before we can see a bit further. Only when we find a hill with tall trees and climb one of those trees can we see the mountain ahead, which we might climb and see a mountain range in the distance, which we might travel too so that we can see even further. But as long as we do not climb some trees we cannot see beyond the mundane appearances of our little world of trees that surround us.
    with man,it goes something like this? desperation or inspiration?the latter to be preferred? :smurf:

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    In a word, it's "belief".

It starts and ends with belief.

Knowing, and willing won't cut it. To ACT, one must believe they can pull it off first!

Kerry

so then belief is some kind of overall/oversight that when present in mind, sort of guarantees an outcome if one just follows the dots according to the SEEN possibilties!?
    as opposed to excitement and wishful thinking that leads to willful demands!? so you could say that will as expressed by ignorance excited by speculated/imagined self proposals is different from the will that actually authors/allows success!? :freak3: :spin2: :

another thing to consider is,how does 1 PREPARE to know something NEW!? either completely new or just a re-evaluation of a known!? the difference in that distinction may rest in the self motivation or other motivation category!? :freak3: :spin2::

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    so then belief is some kind of overall/oversight
    Oversight? I'm not sure that's the right word for it. Paradigm fits.

that when present in mind, sort of guarantees an outcome if one just follows the dots according to the SEEN possibilties!?
    Guarantees? There'll be an outcome I can 'guarantee' that, whether or not it's the 'desired' outcome is another story altogether?

as opposed to excitement and wishful thinking that leads to willful demands!?
    Rhetorical statement?

Belief is never enough. Acting on your beliefs makes all the difference. Still, no guarantees regardless. The only thing guaranteed in this world is death & taxes.

so you could say that will as expressed by ignorance excited by speculated/imagined self proposals is different from the will that actually authors/allows success!? :freak3: :spin2: :
    Nope, no difference, IMO.

If someone's 'ignorant' of something, yet excited about the possibilities, and through their enthusiasm, they take some action to EDUCATE themselves in order to take advantage or implement their idea, success is then a possibility. Again, no guarantees.

I've never met a person, I don't care what his condition, in whom I could not see possibilities. I don't care how much a man may consider himself a failure. I believe in him, for he can change the thing that is wrong in his life any time he is ready and prepared to do it. Whenever he develops the desire he can take away from his life the thing that is
    defeating it. The capacity for reformation and change lies
    within.

~ Preston Bradley
    It's all outlined beautifully in Steven Covey's books '7 Habits of Highly Effective People'.

Highly recommend it if you haven't picked it up already.

What say you?

Kerry
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Darwin wasn't prepared to find out that species evolve but he did.

I presume this is referring to science because its in the science section. On this basis, I would say it depends how much the person is taught.

For example, let us take the scientific theory, Evolution. Probably a great subject considering you're looking at America. Now, if I lectured on the people who don't believe in Evolution in America, I would be condescending, so I won't. However, what really gets me is their argument that we should listen to both sides. Now this is where the science comes in. These people don't need to know all the evidence for Evolution in its glory, its pointless. What they need to know is what constitutes a scientific theory and how the argument of teaching both sides is non-scientific. Scientific method unfortunately isn't really taught in education, something which has made people "scientific illiterate". They can't understand what science is. As a result they support what they want, which is their religion. Some people do break out of this, however, it is hard, as the religious section shows.
    Why Answers in Genesis is ridiculous, My Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
    There was a documentary that I have seen on TV that proves that the Jews wandered in the desert. They even found footprints.

Oversight? I'm not sure that's the right word for it. Paradigm fits.
    i dont like 'paradigm' either as it is too "high brow" and not accessible by joe sixpack!

Guarantees? There'll be an outcome I can 'guarantee' that, whether or not it's the 'desired' outcome is another story altogether?
    by oversight i mean knowing all outcomes as if seeing a timeline complete and just operating within that timeline! operating with desires is not the best way to operate!?

Belief is never enough. Acting on your beliefs makes all the difference. Still, no guarantees regardless. The only thing guaranteed in this world is death & taxes.
    desire based belief is subject to other desires!?a guarantee depends on the quality/source of oversight!?

If someone's 'ignorant' of something, yet excited about the possibilities, and through their enthusiasm, they take some action to EDUCATE themselves in order to take advantage or implement their idea, success is then a possibility. Again, no guarantees.
    hit and miss is for the young an exuberant!?

It's all outlined beautifully in Steven Covey's books '7 Habits of Highly Effective People'.

Highly recommend it if you haven't picked it up already.

What say you?

Kerry
    see what i can dig up online!? :freak3: :

good stuff!? check it out here!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sev...fective_People

another title that intrigues me is "the speed of trust" !?

with all self help inspirational material you have to remember 1 thing!? your own personality/maturity will determine what you can get/GIVE from it and what you will take/MISS!?:freak3: :judges: :

good stuff!? check it out here!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sev...fective_People

another title that intrigues me is "the speed of trust" !?

with all self help inspirational material you have to remember 1 thing!? your own personality/maturity will determine what you can get/GIVE from it and what you will take/MISS!?:freak3: :judges: :
    Ah yes.

Buddha nailed it with this...

Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it ...or because it is traditional, or because you yourselves have imagined it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.

~ Buddha

one more...

Take time to accept responsibility. Your life is exactly that - It's your life. It is created by you. You are constantly making choices, constantly creating new experiences. And although we can be affected by circumstances which can seem to be completely out of our control. Essentially, we decide the direction in which we walk.

~ Nicolas Watkins
    KLH
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard