+ Reply to Thread

Documentary series - Freedom From Religion: Part 1

I don't know if this strictly qualifies as a "scam" but I really wanted to get the opinion of everyone here about this topic. I do believe that this priest is using his status to get his way in spite of the laws of his city. That's a scam in my book!

Here's a synopsis...

A single woman living alone discovers a live animal sacrifice going on twenty feet from her back door in her neighbor's tiny city backyard. When she complains, her neighbor begins to threaten and intimidate her until she is forced to sell her home. Rather than put a stop to it, the authorities all take a step back because the sacrifices are being done as part of a religious ritual.

This is the first part of a documentary series that uses interviews, re-creations and actual footage to present this incident but also to explore the influence of religion on the daily operations of an American city.

Freedom From Religion asks the questions:

- When does one person's freedom begin to take away another person's freedom?

- What are the rights of a practitioner of a minority religion...and what are the responsibilities?

- Would the world be better off WITHOUT religion?

http://fitnessvideou.com/
    Where fitness professionals go to learn how to use video to promote their business

Re: Documentary series - Freedom From Religion: Pa

seems that if we had a "wish" to change the world eliminating religion would NOT be at the top of the list? probably it would be wiser to change a specific human characteristic that would cover a more broad spectrum of problematic symptoms? like say ignorance for example? and i was just musing whether i would be a vegetarian if i had to kill and dress my "meat" for the day's meals?:judges:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mike pulcinella View Post
    I don't know if this strictly qualifies as a "scam" but I really wanted to get the opinion of everyone here about this topic. I do believe that this priest is using his status to get his way in spite of the laws of his city. That's a scam in my book!

Here's a synopsis...

A single woman living alone discovers a live animal sacrifice going on twenty feet from her back door in her neighbor's tiny city backyard. When she complains, her neighbor begins to threaten and intimidate her until she is forced to sell her home. Rather than put a stop to it, the authorities all take a step back because the sacrifices are being done as part of a religious ritual.

This is the first part of a documentary series that uses interviews, re-creations and actual footage to present this incident but also to explore the influence of religion on the daily operations of an American city.

Freedom From Religion asks the questions:

- When does one person's freedom begin to take away another person's freedom?

- What are the rights of a practitioner of a minority religion...and what are the responsibilities?

- Would the world be better off WITHOUT religion?

Minority religions should be afforded the same rights and privileges as major religions.

However I think the priest over stepped his bounds and infringed on the neighbors rights. He should have done his sacrifices somewhere else due to the idea that leaving the remains of his sacrifices can cause health issues in the neighborhood.

But I wonder about you intentions with this documentary are you intending to connect this mans religion with his actions?

What does this mans religion have to do with his actions against your girl friend?

If you have not already are you planning on contacting other Santerian priests to get their views on the actions of this man?

Do you intend to learn everything you can about this mans religion while keeping an open mind before making judgments against the religion itself and equating this mans actions with his religion?
    It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."
    -HBT; The Book of Advice 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason View Post
    Minority religions should be afforded the same rights and privileges as major religions.

However I think the priest over stepped his bounds and infringed on the neighbors rights. He should have done his sacrifices somewhere else due to the idea that leaving the remains of his sacrifices can cause health issues in the neighborhood.

But I wonder about you intentions with this documentary are you intending to connect this mans religion with his actions?

What does this mans religion have to do with his actions against your girl friend?

If you have not already are you planning on contacting other Santerian priests to get their views on the actions of this man?

Do you intend to learn everything you can about this mans religion while keeping an open mind before making judgments against the religion itself and equating this mans actions with his religion?
    All legitimate questions.

I support his right to worship in his way...in the proper place.

I believe his is a disturbed man. His religion is relevant only because by invoking it he prevented the authorities from doing their job, as you will see in subsequent videos. My intention is to show, in a microcosm, how irrational, unprovable beliefs can disrupt the normal functioning of a community. I then intend to widen the scope of the series to explore this issue on a larger scale, if possible.

I did my homework. I know at least as much about his religion as one can learn from books and I'm certain that I know MORE about the Supreme Court decision concerning his religion than he does.

From the very beginning I have attempted to have an open dialog with Hector. When he (violently) refused I contacted the priestess who instructed him, and the leader of his church. I made many, many phone calls and wrote emails and letters requesting a meeting, all of which I've documented. No dialog was ever granted.

ALL of these issues are dealt with in the upcoming videos. I invite you to subscribe and watch. Please continue to ask questions and challenge me. I encourage it!

P.S. Since releasing the video I have contacted rootsandrooted.org, a website celebrating African heritage. I posted a link to this video in a blog entry about Santeria. I was banned from the site. Yesterday I wrote a long email asking for understanding and a dialog about the video. I've received no reply as of yet.
    Last edited by mike pulcinella; 04-02-2009 at 05:36 AM.
    Where fitness professionals go to learn how to use video to promote their business

All legitimate questions.

I support his right to worship in his way...in the proper place.

I believe his is a disturbed man. His religion is relevant only because by invoking it he prevented the authorities from doing their job, as you will see in subsequent videos. My intention is to show, in a microcosm, how irrational, unprovable beliefs can disrupt the normal functioning of a community. I then intend to widen the scope of the series to explore this issue on a larger scale, if possible.

I did my homework. I know at least as much about his religion as one can learn from books and I'm certain that I know MORE about the Supreme Court decision concerning his religion than he does.

From the very beginning I have attempted to have an open dialog with Hector. When he (violently) refused I contacted the priestess who instructed him, and the leader of his church. I made many, many phone calls and wrote emails and letters requesting a meeting, all of which I've documented. No dialog was ever granted.

ALL of these issues are dealt with in the upcoming videos. I invite you to subscribe and watch. Please continue to ask questions and challenge me. I encourage it!

P.S. Since releasing the video I have contacted rootsandrooted.org, a website celebrating African heritage. I posted a link to this video in a blog entry about Santeria. I was banned from the site. Yesterday I wrote a long email asking for understanding and a dialog about the video. I've received no reply as of yet.

They may see the video as an attack on their religion. I don't really know that much about Santeria. That Supreme court ruling isn't final yet check out this blog posting I found yesterday.

http://wildhunt.org/blog/2009/04/upd...-of-goats.html

I like this blog he has a lot of information and provides a different point of view on minority religions.

I definately agree that this guy is doing some bad stuff by acting the way he does toward you and your girl friend. Cities generally have reasons for not allowing the slaughtering of live stock within city limits due to health concerns but check out that blog and see where the city of Euless goes wrong by allowing the slaughtering of chickens and deer within private premises within the city limits. Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

Peace!

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."

They most definitely see this video as an attack on their religion. What it really is is an exploration of the power that religion has in our society to do harm as well as good.

Thank you very much for that link! It's very useful!

They most definitely see this video as an attack on their religion. What it really is is an exploration of the power that religion has in our society to do harm as well as good.

Thank you very much for that link! It's very useful!
    I think a lot of things can be abused for personal purposes religion is just one of those things that stand out when it goes wrong. Unfortunately it's guys like that that give minority religions the bum rap which makes it harder for those of us who follow them to make people understand that most of us aren't like that.

I like that blog a lot he always has a lot of good info from a Pagan point of view. Always good to get it from another side.

I hope someone from Santeria comes forward to help you out. I understand better where your coming from in this. I just didn't want another witch hunt style documentary that gave lots of disinformation and stereotypes about minority religions to be handed out like candy. I see now this isn't your intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason View Post
    Unfortunately it's guys like that that give minority religions the bum rap which makes it harder for those of us who follow them to make people understand that most of us aren't like that.

I just didn't want another witch hunt style documentary that gave lots of disinformation and stereotypes about minority religions to be handed out like candy. I see now this isn't your intent.
    I am trying to be as fair as possible and any "dramatization" that you see is in an effort to communicate what this experience felt like to us.

I will continue to make requests of practitioners of Santeria to join me in dispelling the negative stereotypes that people like Hector help to perpetuate. I will keep asking them, "Show me examples where Santeria has integrated WELL into a community." Silence, so far.

I see that you are a member of a minority religion, so I understand why you have a special interest in this topic. Would you mind telling me a little about your beliefs?

Would you also consider possibly adding your viewpoint to a future webisode of Freedom From Religion? I would be honored and I think it may help to begin to give me the balance that the videos need so badly.

I am trying to be as fair as possible and any "dramatization" that you see is in an effort to communicate what this experience felt like to us.

I will continue to make requests of practitioners of Santeria to join me in dispelling the negative stereotypes that people like Hector help to perpetuate. I will keep asking them, "Show me examples where Santeria has integrated WELL into a community." Silence, so far.

I see that you are a member of a minority religion, so I understand why you have a special interest in this topic. Would you mind telling me a little about your beliefs?

Would you also consider possibly adding your viewpoint to a future webisode of Freedom From Religion? I would be honored and I think it may help to begin to give me the balance that the videos need so badly.
    the ignoramouses dont deserve any real consideration? study their religion and threaten to throw a curse on them if they dont at least give you free steaks!and tell em to only do the noisy stuff when your not there? you can own them if they wont listen to reason? that's what religion is all about? right! :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you