+ Reply to Thread

How did we grow from Egalitarianism to Plutocracy?

How did we grow from Egalitarianism to Plutocracy?

Bands of 5 to about 80 individuals generally comprised the social grouping in primitive human societies. We find this sort of social grouping presently in our closest non human relatives such as gorillas and chimpanzees. These human groups were normally “egalitarian” in structure in that there would ordinarily be a leader who was often followed but each member fit into a structure within that society wherein each member maintained equality with respect to social, political, and economic rights and privileges.

These bands slowly morphed into tribal structures, which typically contained hundreds of individuals. The tribe held many family groups, called clans, and they were normally fixed in place rather than being nomadic. The tribe held land in common, everyone knew everyone else. Just as bands these tribal groupings maintained an “egalitarian” system of governance. Information and decisions were spread across the whole group. While there was a “big man” he had no independent decision making authority. The “big man” obtained his status through achievement and not through inheritance. The tribe had no bureaucracy.

“Band organization is often described as “egalitarian”: there is no formalized social stratification into upper and lower classes, no formalized hereditary leadership, and no formalized monopolies of information and decision making.”

Bands shaded into tribes and tribes into chiefdoms. Through the year 1500 AD chiefdoms were still spread over much of the land now called the USA. Chiefdoms ranged in populations from several thousand to several tens of thousands. The rise of chiefdoms started about 7500 years ago. Because individuals had to be controlled such that they did not just kill people strange to them the chief had to be invested with authority to discipline the population. Commoners had to show ritual respect to the chiefdom.

“The most distinctive economic feature of chiefdoms was their shift from reliance solely on the reciprocal exchanges characteristic of bands and tribes…A simple example would involve a chief receiving wheat at harvest time from every farmer in the chiefdom, and then throwing a feast for everybody and then serving bread or else storing the wheat and gradually giving it out again in the months between harvests.”

At best the chiefs used this redistributive system to do good by providing services to the group, at worst the chiefdoms functioned as plutocracies. In modern society plutocracy is the standard rather than the exception; as is so evident to even the most disengaged and uncritical observer.

As we see the movement from social structures such as bands where egalitarianism was the way of life to chiefdoms and from there to present day plutocratic economies one is forced to ask the question “Why do the common people tolerate the transfer of their hard earned wealth to the plutocracy?”

Throughout the ages the plutocrats have managed to accomplish this feat in four different ways: 1) disarm the population; 2) make the masses contented through distributing ‘bread and circus’; 3) promise happiness by providing ‘law and order’ when chaos is pervasive throughout the land; and 4) through organizing religions and various other ideologies.

Ideology was a common mode for controlling the masses in all social formats, and these various ideologies often morphed into religion. Temples and public works were means for keeping focus upon the cape rather than upon the Matador. These means kept the focus off of the chief they also provided the rationale for transferring wealth and the necessary bureaucratic organization into the hands of the plutocracy. Religion also provided the bonding required for the common people to offer their lives in combat for the society. All of this makes the society better able to overcome adversaries in wars of conquest.

Quotes from Guns, Germs, and Steelby Jared Diamond

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Re: How did we grow from Egalitarianism to Plutocr

You have single handedly ruined the Science board with your less-than science topics.

You need to go.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    You have single handedly ruined the Science board with your less-than science topics.

You need to go.
    hehe... good one. rofl
    People usually get the gods they deserve -Terry Pratchett

Grouch Happens!

the social sciences are a relavent topic for discussion/debate are they not?and judging by the lack of any other flood of controversy posts i am assuming most science is above the working knowledge level of the frequenters of this establishment?yet this topic range in the science of human relationships is within everyones grasp?especially if it is cross referenced to terminology most people can relate to?but even if we were to be engaged say in the global warming controversy we would still be involved with social science at some level?
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

First, Lexx is cool. I often enjoy his responses.

Second,
    Even those who often disagree with each other can agree on this one. Coberst needs to go.

Coberst, this is to you - personally:
    In real life, you may be a fine fellow but in these forums, you're annoying as any spammer. Some of us have actual intellectual debate in progress. When we come back the next day to check for responses, we find that you have been up all night, on SPEED, and have posted numerous threads of irrelevant tomes that you expect us(?) to read. Our normal banter gets lost in your senseless blather. I'm glad you understand.

P.S. If we really cared about Plutocracy, wouldn't we just tune into the Disney channel?
    Last edited by phlipper; 03-27-2009 at 05:42 AM.

dont give up coberst! if you are irritating people it means you are on to something? i think the main problem is that the terminology and long quotes of your posts are just to much for the non-intellectuals? that and the fact as i mentioned before about the link of religion and philosophy is just to much to bear in a "science" forum for the "pure" of heart as it were? the only time i would "turn against you" so to speak is when your posting series breaks a flow you had going? like building up to a climax and then goofing off on a tangent/regression? just my take,feel free to ignore?:freak3:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

i dont know when i started to appreciate PHLIP!i know we didn't start out so good?lately he reminds me of my own sharp wit,if i ever had 1? it's my own NEW opinion that everyone's 2 cents ads up to make a dollar? which dont buy @#$%^ anymore? but you know what they say.......you cant buy love,and love is all there is?NOT IN THIS LIFE!!ther's plenty of @#$^ to buy in this life!! so on with the show....ED-son of a gun!?: