+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spam Is Bad

Re: Spam Is Bad

Iíve learned that one should always follow their hunch. If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Here is the spam email I received and am using as an example of evil spamming:

From careers@impactww.com Thu Mar 23 05:59:27 2006
    X-Apparently-To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx via xxxxxxxxxxxx; Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:59:36 -0800
    X-Originating-IP: [64.239.81.239]
    Return-Path:
    Authentication-Results: mta302.mail.scd.yahoo.com from=impactww.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from 64.239.81.239 (EHLO IPDMBZ0403MIA.abcemploymentservice.com) (64.239.81.239) by mta302.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:59:35 -0800
    Received: from impactww.com ([64.239.81.239]) by abcemploymentservice.com with MailEnable ESMTP; Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:59:27 -0500
    Message-ID: <20060323085927.06F63AC97CE023F3@impactww.com>
    From: careers@impactww.com Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: xxxxxxxx, regarding your online resume
    Reply-to: careers@impactww.com
    Date: 23 Mar 2006 08:59:27 -0500
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Content-Length: 1194

Dear xxxxxxx,

Recently my assistant saw your resume online and forwarded it to me as a possible candidate for a position with our company. Based on your credentials, it appears you may be qualified for the Administrative Assistant position we currently have available in your local area.

Impact Worldwide is the fastest growing talent company in the United States. Our talent have worked with such companies as Tommy Hilfiger, Universal Studios, Pepsi, MTV, HBO, Reebok, and hundreds of others.

The Administrative Assistant is responsible for re-formatting information received daily about nationwide castings and entering it into our database system. The position can be performed either from one of our offices, or from your home.

We offer the following:

$22.50 per hour ($900 per week) starting pay. After 90 days, compensation may increase by 10 percent.
    Full medical, dental, and vision insurance benefits.
    Flexibility - you can work your own hours, just so long as you put in at least 40 hours each week.
    Opportunity for rapid advancement.
    Tuition re-imbursements.

The person we are looking for is reliable, consistent, hard working, has solid writing skills, and pays attention to details.

To be formally considered for the AA, please visit our website at:

.impactww.com

Then click on the "careers" tab and select "administrative assistant."

Once you have completed the online application, I will review it and contact you shortly to schedule an interview.

Best regards,

Liz Morgan

Click here to be removed from any future employment offers."

And from Klaas' website here is what the person who spammed us with a fake job offer thinks about the law. This is his personal interpretation of the CAN SPAM law.
    Please read it and tell me if you agree with him. Considering we are not lawyers we can only guess on the meaning of the law. If you have any friends that are lawyers ask them to see if his explanation is really matching with the CAN SPAM law.

"Impact WorldWide Guy:

Ok, we will try this one more time

When Impact visits a job board and they search for applicants that meet their criteria based on location, education, and experience they may come back with 1,000 results.

Those people meet the basic criteria, the problem is many of them may have already found a job or jut be looking for the perfect job. So Impact emails them information about the job and tells them to apply if they are interested.

Thus the people that apply have shown an interest in the job and Impact will then find the most qualified of that group and offer that person(s) the position

This is not spamming Ė they are being sent information about a job based on the information they posted for a job that they may have an interest in.

(have in mind that the real job is a commission based scouting for people with some sort of talent, the job offered in the spam email is Admin. Assist. non existing job with this "company")

Now as for the Can-Spam section of your post

I have read Can Spam and I actually understand it

(I don't think he does but anyway...)

You are correct that it applies to commercial email. Both your other assumptions are incorrect. Sending information about a job would be considered commercial email.

Non commercial emails are considered social, political, or for non-profits etc.

And before you start to argue that you donít believe that employment is commercial Ė keep in mind that if the email is not commercial it means it is not covered by the act at all.

So if in fact you are right and this is not commercial mail, not only would it not violate Can Spam Ė it would not even be required to have the opt out.

Noncommercial mail is NEVER considered spam (legally speaking) and cannot violate any spamming laws"

So you see he was avoiding the whole point of offering fake jobs via spam! I think his emails do fall under the CAN SPAM law and the spam he sent breaks that law on several points. His subject line is misleading, I don't have a resume on line. I am not even looking for a job. Inside the msg he breaks the law again. He offers a NON EXISTENT job. What do you guys think?
    There is no way to become rich by running scams unless you have joined the Dark Side

Here is another proof that the email I received is illigal, this comes straight out of the FTC website:

"Advertising must tell the truth and not mislead consumers.
    In addition, claims must be substantiated.

GENERAL OFFERS AND CLAIMS
    PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

The Federal Trade Commission Act allows the FTC to act in the interest of all consumers to prevent deceptive and unfair acts or practices. In interpreting Section 5 of the Act, the Commission has determined that a representation, omission or practice is deceptive if it is likely to:

mislead consumers and
    affect consumers' behavior or decisions about the product or service....

The FTC Act prohibits unfair or deceptive advertising in any medium. That is, advertising must tell the truth and not mislead consumers. A claim can be misleading if relevant information is left out or if the claim implies something that's not true.
    Here is CAN SPAM:
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...ubl187.108.pdf
    There is no way to become rich by running scams unless you have joined the Dark Side

How did he get your email address?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseDesRochers
    How did he get your email address?
    Good question. How do any of the spammers get our email address! The bad thing is that email came into my regular inbox, it was not filtered by my email provider's spam blocker. If these people are stripped out of the spamming method they will have to work on marketing their stuff using old fashion methods like ads in the paper, TV, regular paper junk mail (which I use to start our camp fire in our backyard, very usefull!) but in that case they will have to pay for printing, air time ect. Instead they get this huge list of people's emails and spam away with no cost to them. Then we are the ones that have to opt-out or research if its legit or not. I am sick and tired of deleting endless amnt of spam every day! I have no use for it! At least with the paper junk mail I can start the fire or give to my kids to sribble on it. Sorry for the venting!!

Itís sent randomly, but you said that the email that you received wasnít sent randomly. Was your email listed at this job website that you were surfing?

Wait you opt out? Well there is your first huge mistake.

Opting out and replying is how spammers verify that an email address is active.

Do you have a spam filter?

Quote Originally Posted by RoseDesRochers
    Itís sent randomly, but you said that the email that you received wasnít sent randomly. Was your email listed at this job website that you were surfing?

Wait you opt out? Well there is your first huge mistake.

Opting out and replying is how spammers verify that an email address is active.

Do you have a spam filter?
    I did not personally opt out and I do have a spam filter that does a good job but one of these fake job offers snuck in, it looked like a real job offer until I did my research. Also I do not have a resume online, so I have no idea where they got my email address?!

I hate spam, but while lot of services who sell stolen mail databases like https://getdb.net exist, people will buy them and will continue trying to sell you something or to scam you, unfortunately. So the only way is to keep your antispam filter updated.

i agree that spam is bad
    i think that spammers are bad people

I think spam its bad because its bad for people who find information on forums.