+ Reply to Thread

Rental Property Scam

We found an ad on Craig'sList for a rental property that WE own! We pretended to be potential renters and responded to the contact email in the Craig'sList posting. This is what we got...clearly another one of those Nigerian scams. Please don't send money for rental property if the landlord cannot meet you in person and show you the inside!!
    . . . . . . . .

Thanks for your email and interest in my house. May the peace of the Lord be Upon you and your family. I am Ron kennedy the owner of the House you are interest in located at Louisville, KY 40217 .

Presently Am in West Africa with my family, we came to stay with my mother in-law who is suffering from breast cancer .On getting here we discovered that we will be staying here for at least 4 years.So I decided to look for a responsible and caring person to maintain and take proper care of my House as I do. Please I want you to know that I am a kind and honest man of God also I spent a lot on my properties so I will want you to treat it as your own..You will pay $550/month, all utilities included. Though the prevailing amount of such building with distinguished location ought to be going for about $900,which I had placed it on for over two months without any concrete result,so I decided to cut it down. The money involved does not matters to me but I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that I will be glad to see it neat when I come for a check up.

The house is located at 1033 Milton Street Louisville, KY 40217..

So you should count yourself lucky to meet with this offer. Please note there's compulsory security deposit fee plus 1 month rent to move in and I need someone that is ready to secure it asap. You are welcome for inspection If you like. I will like you to go take a look at the exterior part of the house because you will not be able to go inside to see the interior hence I have all the keys and security code here with me. You can get back to me if you are truly interested.

Square Footage: 1300 (Approx.)

Unit Features

Kitchen
    Refrigerator
    Dishwasher
    Island
    Stove
    Flooring

Hardwood
    Ceramic Tile
    Rooms
    Living Room
    Crawlspace
    Amenities

W/D
    W/D Hookups
    A/C
    Walk-in Closets
    Ceiling Fan
    Vaulted Ceilings
    Cable Available
    Handicap Accessible
    Blinds
    Outdoor
    Deck
    Patio
    Fence
    Parking

Dedicated Parking Spaces
    I take pride in being responsible, and have a history of long term relationships with tenants. I have all maintenance persons on retainer, and will respond to any problems as soon as contacted.

Kindly confirm your interest by filling the form below:

TENANT RENT APPLICATION

FIRST NAME: __________________
    MIDDLE NAME: __________________
    LAST NAME: __________________
    PROFESSION: ________________
    PHONE (____) __________ (CELL)
    PHONE (____) __________ (WORK)
    PHONE (____) __________ (HOME)
    MARITAL STATUS: _________
    KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________
    PRESENT ADDRESS: ___________________________
    CITY: _______________
    STATE: ______________
    ZIP CODE: ____________
    HOW LONG? ___________IF RENTING
    WHY ARE YOU LEAVING? ______________________________
    STATE: _______________
    ZIP CODE: _____________
    HOW LONG? ____________ IF RENTING,APARTMENT.
    WHY DID YOU LEAVE?
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    PREVIOUS RENT: _______
    IF THIS APARTMENT IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU,
    HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? ____________
    WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________
    PERSONAL REFERENCES
    (LIST 3 PERSONS, OTHER THAN YOUR RELATIVES, THAT WE CAN CONTACT TO
    VERIFY YOUR CHARACTER.)
    FIRST PERSON
    FIRST NAME: _______________
    MIDDLE NAME: ______________
    LAST NAME: ________________
    RELATIONSHIP______________
    PHONE (___) ________________
    SECOND PERSON
    THIRD PERSON
    PHONE (___)________________
    EMERGENCY
    (IN AN EMERGENCY, LIST 2 PERSONS THAT CAN BE CONTACTED STARTING WITH
    NEAREST RELATIVES)
    FIRST PERSON
    SECOND PERSON
    *PETS*
    IF YOU HAVE A PET,
    NAME OF PET: ______________
    KIND OF PETS: _____________
    WEIGHT: ___________________
    HABITS
    DO YOU SMOKE? ______________
    DO YOU DRINK? ______________
    DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT? ____

Looking forward to hear from you. Your full information will be used to process all documents that will be coming together with the keys leading to the house and this will come to you through FedEx Courier Service.Feel free to

call me on my cell phone number to discuss more about the rent on +234-8099366760.

Thank you and remain Blessed.
    Ron kennedy
    011-234-8099366760.

Re: Rental Property Scam

Re: IMPORTANT‏
    Sent:Sun 4/25/10 1:32 PM
    To:

Sorry for the late response and thanks for your email and interest in my house. May the peace of the Lord be Upon you and your family. I am Nicholas E Mundt the owner of the House you are interest in located at Madison WI 53714.

Presently Am in West africa with my family, we came to stay with my mother-inlaw who is suffering from breast cancer.On getting here we discovered that we will be staying here for at least 3 years.So I decided to look for a responsible and caring person to maintain and take proper care of my House as I do. Please I want you to know that I am a kind and honest man of God also I spent a lot on my properties so I will want you to treat it as your own.I wanted to sell the house before my wife advice that we should rent it out than to sell it.You will pay $800/month all utilities included.Though the prevailing amount of such building with distinquished location ought to be going for about $1200,which i had placed it on for over one month without any concreate result,so i decided to cut it down.The money involved does not matters to me but I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that I will be glad to see it neat when I come for a check up.

The house is located at 410 Merryturn Rd, Madison WI 53714.

So you should count yourself lucky to meet with this offer. Please note there's compulsory security deposit fee of 1month rent to move in and i need someone that is ready to secure it on or before end of April or May.You are welcome for inspection If you like. Please call me on my cell phone number so we can discuss more about the rent 011-234-803-378-8325 or +234-803-378-8325.

I will like you to go take a look at the exterior part of the house because you will not be able to go inside to see the interior hence I have all the keys and security code here with me. You can get back to me if you are truly interested. I have more pics of the house, let me know if you we need more of the pics. Below are the specifications:

Property Information
    4br/3ba/3,520 sqft

This spacious 4 bedroom home offers over 3500 sq ft. of living space and is much LARGER than it looks. Check out this sprawling ranch on Madison s East side and located near public transportation. Home includes a 4 season room, formal living room, large family room w/fireplace, and a finished lower level with oversized rec room, sauna,and wet bar. 2 car garage provides an accessible ramp into the home and extra wide hall ways.

Please if you are ready now to occupy the house kindly provide the information below for record purpose.

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF

Full Name______________________________________________ ____
    Home Phone ( ) ________________________
    Date of Birth_________________________________
    Other Phone ( ) ___________________
    Current Address_______________________________Apt#________ City__________________ State______ Zip________
    Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $__________
    Phone ( ) ____________________________
    Are you married____________________________
    How many people will be living in the house____________________________
    Do you have a pet____________________________
    Do you have a car____________________________
    Occupation____________________________
    How soon can you have the deposit or the rent payment sent to me___________________
    How soon do you want to receive the keys________________________
    Move In Date____________________________

Looking forward to hear from you. Your full information will be used to process all documents that will be coming together with the keys leading to the house and this will come to you through Fed Ex courier service.

Thank you and remain Blessed.
    Nicholas E Mundt Family
    011-234-803-378-8325

Here's another....

Date: April 29, 2010 8:12:25 AM EDT
    Subject: $600 / 3br - 3BR/2BA Single Family House (columbia ,SC)‏

Hello,

God bless you for your interest about my house,see the attach file for the interior pitcures......yes is still available for rent.... I am renting this house to a responsible and neat person or family who has the fear of God and treat my house as his or her own.Presently my wife and I work for USAID.USAID works in agriculture, democracy & governance, economic growth, the environment, education, health, global partnerships, and humanitarian assistance in more than 100 countries to provide a better future for all.

USAID still faces an uncertain future. In many developing countries, HIV/AIDS and health issues are having a dramatic impact on social cohesiveness and economic strength, blocking the very development goals we seek. Virtually all the new democracies in the world today are fragile; others are democracies more in name than substance.
    Nearly a quarter of the people living in developing countries, or about one billion people, live in absolute poverty. There are a host of other threats - ranging from terrorism to infectious disease and violent conflict - that challenge us and the developing nations we seek to help.Here is USAID Web address:http://www.usaid.gov/

USAID efforts to foster world-wide economic growth and increased trade,and tackling cross-border issues such as the spread of HIV/AIDS and trafficking in persons.To safe the live of peoples from primitive death that claims the souls of younger ages as a result of casual sex gave us transfer to West Africa and we will be away for 8 years or more and this is why we are actually renting out house,so if you are interested and will take good care of our house then we will be ready to accept you as our future tenant and family friend.. If you really impress me by taking good care of our house then you will be allowed to stay as long as you wish okay cause we have decided not to sell our property anymore with the property management.

This is the address of the house:

125 Academy Way
    Columbia, SC 29206

So get back to me on how you could take care of our house or perhaps experience you have in renting home. Hope you are okay with the price of $600/month and $300 for security deposit with hydro, heat laundry facilities, air condition and so on. PETS ARE WELCOME!

I am looking forward to hear from you ASAP so that i can forward you an application to fill out and discuss on how to get the house for rent, also are you ready to rent it now or when? Await your reply.

Contact Number:+2348191427288

Thanks.
    David Hill

Can someone explain this scam ?
    --Here Is How To Report A Scam-
    1) Contact local law enforcement. (Local Crimes Only)
    2) Contact Internet Fraud Complaints Center (Internet Crime Only)
    3) Contact Better Business Bureau
    4) Contact the Internet hosting company of the website. (Whois Look up)
    5) Write to the Federal Trade Commission: spam(at)uce.gov or file a complant here.
    6) Contact State Attorney General

Can someone explain this scam ?
    Sure, the scammer just wants the victim to send him money via Western Union or moneygram. The scammer does not own a rental property, he just stole an address and picture off someone else's rental posting. Once the money has been sent, the scammer will send excuses as to why you can't get the keys or see the property, they he simply ignores/blocks your email and moves onto another victim to convince to send him cash.

That letter has all the 'red flags' of a scammer. Mention of God, being out of the country for charitable works, wanting neat/clean tenant, rent includes all utilities and pets welcome.

That letter has the added bonus of a cut-n-paste paragraph about US aid and a link to the official site to try to make the whole scheme appear legit. If that person really was with the US aid program, wouldn't they have an official usaid dot gov email address, not hotmail? Speaking of that scammer's hotmail address, scammers love to add numbers on the end of their address. Once goodh401 was shut down or full of pissed victims, the scammer just opens a new email account, that scammer probably had goodh402, goodh403, now he is on goodh404 and if goodh405 isn't already opened, it will be soon.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Skyfield Savings and Loans Limited or skyfield properties is a fraudulent company in Lagos nigeria.This is the latest Scam group in nigeria.They disguise as a real estate and property company.
    They make you believe they have a building with 160 rooms located in a choice location.They claim the room is a single ensuite room with toilet and bathroom, fully serviced with electricity and water.The above representation is so wrong.They deceive you into paying 36,200 monthly payment which adds up to 434,400 a year.

In order of frequency, all rental accommodation scams have the following features

- landlord/owner can't show you the property (usually because they claim to be abroad)
    - deposit will need to be paid (usually by Western Union/Moneygram) before keys are received
    - price is too good to be true
    - they are unusually flexible about period of tenancy
    - explicit mention of a legal professional (e.g. their solicitor) drawing up the tenancy agreement

If you're in any doubt, mention that you happen to be visiting whatever city the landlord claims to be living in and offer to meet them in person to get the keys and hand over the deposit. If it's a scam they will come up with some bullshit reason why this is not possible

Anyone heard of Mike Creel of Summerset Washington. He was a real estate agent who robbed his clients and falsified documents with his notary. He lost both his real estate license and notary license. His wife's name is Wong. They have an arraigned marriage so she would be able to stay in the USA.

He is a crook beware. AKA Michael W. Creel. (he left country to work overseas in construction to avoid prosecution)

We had the same problems. They were related somehow with the rent increase form, but I cant remember it correctly. And we don't know what to do about it. Gladly, my friends recommended us a Royal York Property Management to solve most of our problems. I have no regrets about contacting them so far. They are professionals with a lot of experience.