+ Reply to Thread

Empathy: What does ever dog owner know?

Empathy: What does ever dog owner know?

Letting your dog out side when necessary demonstrates our ability to empathesize with other creatures.

There are various definitions of empathy given by various individuals but almost all of them point to the same meaning. Empathy is defined as the ability to understand the feelings, thoughts, and beliefs of another person. Empathy is often characterized as the ability to “walk in the shoes of another”, i.e. to acquire an emotional resonance with another.

In his classic work about modern art, “Abstraction and Empathy”, Wilhelm Worringer provides us with a theory of empathy derived from Theodor Lipps that can be usefully applied to objects of art as well as all objects including persons.

“The presupposition of the act of empathy is the general apperceptive activity. Every sensuous object, in so far as it exists for me, is always the product of two components, that which is sensuously given and of my apperceptive activity.”

Apperception—the process of understanding something perceived in terms of previous experience.

What does in so far as it exists for me mean. I would say that something exists for me when I comprehend that something. Comprehension is a hierarchical concept and can be usefully considered as in the shape of a pyramid. At the base of the comprehension pyramid is awareness that is followed by consciousness. We are aware of many things but we are conscious of much less. Consciousness is awareness plus our focused attention.

Continuing with the pyramid analogy, knowing follows consciousness and understanding is at the pinnacle of the pyramid. We know less than we are conscious of and we understand less than we know. Understanding is about meaning whereas knowing is about knowledge. To move from knowing something to a point when that something is meaningful to me, i.e. understood by me, is a big step for man and a giant step for mankind.

My very best friend is meaningful to me and my very worst enemy must, for security reasons, also be meaningful to me. The American failures in Vietnam and Iraq are greatly the result of the fact that our government and our citizens never understood these ‘foreigners’. We failed at the very important relationship—we did not empathesize with the people and thus failed to understand our enemy. It is quite possible that if we had understood them we would never have gone to war with them.

If we had empathy with Germany in the 1930s would we have stopped Hitler before he forced us into war?

If we had empathy with Germany before August 1914 would we have prevented WWI?

Do you agree that we understand our best friend and that we must also understand our worst enemy?

Re: Empathy: What does ever dog owner know?

Do you think it would be possible for you to post an original thought or writing rather than every single thing being copied and pasted? That would be nice for a change. It also might be interesting but I'm not counting on that.
    As of April23, 2010, I will no longer participate as a moderator or member of a site where posts and threads are removed unjustly by the ADMIN or a rogue mod.

I don't think he has a clue as to who he is posting to. I seriously doubt that anyone that comes here has a clue what he is talking about or even care. He comes across way to highbrow for the average person here, me included.

What I do understand is I must know my enemy to be able to kill the son-of-a-bitch before he gets me and if I can'y understand my best friend then he evidently isn't my best friend.
    Foxbaron.com
    Foxbaron.blogspot.com
    FREE GIFT: 101 Ways Your Business Can Change the World

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    Letting your dog out side when necessary demonstrates our ability to empathesize with other creatures

No it doesn't! It means I don't want Fido pissing on my carpet! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by foxbaron View Post
    I don't think he has a clue as to who he is posting to. I seriously doubt that anyone that comes here has a clue what he is talking about or even care. He comes across way to highbrow for the average person here, me included.

What I do understand is I must know my enemy to be able to kill the son-of-a-bitch before he gets me and if I can'y understand my best friend then he evidently isn't my best friend.
    live from the "gut" and you can never go wrong!?i remember you posting in the torture camp thread about means/methods and saying that's "all they understand"!?i can verify your remarks,but not just pertaining to that specific case!?the amazing thing to me is that it sometimes works that way!?generally speaking with the emotionally defiant and aggressively insane!?:freak3: :spin2::judges: heeh!!.....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

In his classic work about modern art, “Abstraction and Empathy”, Wilhelm Worringer provides us with a theory of empathy derived from Theodor Lipps that can be usefully applied to objects of art as well as all objects including persons.
    Where do we start with all this BS? These guys' opinions on the abstract is no more or less valid than that of a janitor at Walmart. By the way, does the Consciousness Pyramid have any relation to the Food Pyramid?
    The American failures in Vietnam and Iraq are greatly the result of the fact that our government and our citizens never understood these ‘foreigners’.
    Where the hell did that come from? The absurd notion that Americans don't understand "foreigners" is from which school of logic? If we Americans can, as we do, understand Mexicans and Canadians, the rest of the world is a piece of cake.
    If we had empathy with Germany in the 1930s would we have stopped Hitler before he forced us into war?
    I see you're a Jew hater. Why didn't you just say so?

I suspect that the concept of empathy is foundational for comprehending the concept of morality. If we ever do develop a science of morality I suspect that empathy will be a good place to begin.

I think that it is important to be able to distinguish among the words empathy, sympathy, and compassion.

Webster says empathy—the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it—the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experiencing of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner

Webster says sympathy—an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly the other.

Webster says compassion--sympathetic consciousness of other's distress together with a desire to alleviate it.

the difference between empathy and sympathy is hard to define!?is sympathy an automatic response from identification while empathy is a conscious and chosen response to a recognized condition/circumstance!?in other words empathy requires a certain degree of consciousness!?or separation from the observed condition!?for example,2 drug addicts could be sympathetic towards each other while the sober person could be empathetic to their state of addiction!?does religion fulfill the role of the proposed science of morality!?:freak3: :spin2::judges: : heeh!!....just askn..
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

lexx.

Please stop these vibrating icons, they drive me crazy, I cannot tolerate looking at your responses because of this great visual noise level.

lexx.

Please stop these vibrating icons, they drive me crazy, I cannot tolerate looking at your responses because of this great visual noise level.
    sorry,actually i have been making an effort to not use the moving ones on your threads since your original complaint but alas i have not been completely successful yet!?i like what you contribute here!?although i am not sure of your own feelings on these matters!?that is what is/can be difficult to take for certainty on the internet!?

most people who live their lives on the gut feeling level are extremely suspicious of intellectualizing!?i have always had an intellectual bent because of science but i find myself going in the opposite direction now!?probably due to stress!?the problems of aging/late education and coincident societal/world upheaval!?all to easy to engage from the comfort of 1's electronic foxhole!?:freak3: : :smurf: : heeh!!....just askn..
    Last edited by lexx; 03-08-2009 at 03:23 PM.

lexx

It appears that you are one of the few who seem to comprehend my posts but your style of communication is very difficult to deal with. The moving icons are like a child marching through the room banging on a drum while speaking. The visual noise is overwhelming my attempt to concentrate on your words; plus the fact that you refuse to use any standard form of written communication.

I suspect that you learned to write on one of these hand held gadgets wherein twittering your peer group is the goal.

Anti-intellectualism permeates our society and if one has any intention to becoming a sophisticated intellect one must learn how to fight this form of social degradation. Policy makers, i.e. corporate managers, encourage anti-intellectualism as a means for maintaining an uncritical citizenry that is easily manipulated.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Lexx has always been unintelligible. He is also one of the largest posters here. I think out of some 9000 posts, I have been able to gather one complete though from about 4 of them.

He's been blocked from my account for over a year now, though I still look at his posts from time to time to see if he learned how type in something close to english.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.