+ Reply to Thread

Universal Accounting & Bookkeeping Services

Hello guys!
    Does anybody have some helpful information on Universal Accounting? This is a company that trains people on how to start a bookkeeping business. Here's their website:
    http://www.universalaccounting.com/

Both positive and negative postings are welcomed. I have been considering signing up for this training program which also includes tax preparation training, but wanted to make sure this is a scam-free concept, a legitimate business entity and a realistic endeavor for an aspiring small business owner, one who has just lost it all to real estates school of hard knocks; though now employed, but cant stop thinking of going back into self-employment. My background is in accounting, and I feel comfortable starting back out in this area.

Again, 'any infor' will be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

Re: Universal Accounting & Bookkeeping Services

They are very expensive course that will not teach you more than you will be able to teach yourself. And I doubt their certificate is worth anything.

Check Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=...Mozilla-search

They have plenty of reliable books. Difference is that you will have to read them instead of watching DVDs. And they are cheep. For $200 you will be able to get 10 different books and plenty of tests to go through.

tax prep places will train you free, last i heard.

Also local community colleges might have bookkeeping classes and certificates, which might help you more getting a job.

Oh, I bet UABS training is expensive.

Okay, but my point is, I need a bookkeeping training that can equip me to run a service outlet for mom & pop stores and entrepreneurs, not just books to read, but a bookkeeping hands-on training, as stated above, to start servicing small businesses, including tax preparation services.

Note that i'm already running a tax preparation service on a small scale for 1040 clients. I just believe there may be simple hands-on trainings out there to hone my skills in readiness for small business clients whose books i may soon be keeping. I dont plan to seek a job with this, mind you.

Guys, thanks a lot for your suggestions. You've been helpful so far.

Cheers!

Well one thing for sure, don't ever pay for this kind of service on the net. you can always learn how to do your bookkeeping for free. Internet is popular because of its content man...for what reason you pay for this kind of thing?

BOOKKEEPING PROGRAM:
    I purchased and reviewed the bookkeeping program and found that it contains very practical information for new bookkeepers. However, I have had 12 years of experience plus a Masters of Accounting degree, and this product wasn't a good fit for me. I was expecting more information on the mechanics of dealing with multiple small accounts, transferring data back and forth etc. I returned it and they gave me my money back.

PRACTICE BUILDER PROGRAM:
    I purchased and reviewed the Practice Builder Program; again, not for me but probably very helpful for many--kind of like buying a franchise is helpful. Again, I have had years of experience in selling, and I was looking for those things unique to the bookkeeping business. Nothing new for me, so I have requested a return. The reply so far has been no. I must look like a flake to them, but I am not. I am persisting and will report what happens.

You have a very good accounting background. So things will be easier for you. For everyone I think Google is the best teacher so far. If you have the correct keyword just google it and have your answers. I think your drive to learn something is enough. I have also a accounting degree and working as a freelance bookkeeper. I don't to work under an accounting firm. I am using bookkeeping services software from Zipbooks and I can rely on them. Some expert people don't use any software, they just use simple Excel. Quickbooks is another good one if you can afford to buy it. Do you know Michael Collins? I don't know him either. But you can read the book "Do It Yourself BookKeeping for Small Businesses: How to set up and run an easy, practical bookkeeping system". There's a lot to learn.