+ Reply to Thread

Colleagues cool to Feingold's bid to censure Bush

Those spineless idiots in Washington. What kind of blackmail is this president using on them anyway? The Congress is supposed to be keeping the president in line, that IS constitutional.

Colleagues cool to Feingold's bid to censure Bush

But Watergate figure John Dean says action could prevent abuses of power

Washington -- If Sen. Russ Feingold was hoping his fellow Democrats would offer a groundswell of support for his maverick resolution calling for President Bush's censure over warrantless eavesdropping, he didn't get it Friday at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on his proposal.

Counting Feingold, only three of the committee's eight Democrats showed up for the sometimes combative hearing that featured a historic moment: Watergate figure John Dean's first appearance before a Senate panel since his 1973 testimony that played a key role in the downfall of President Richard Nixon.

Besides Feingold, the only Democrat to speak at the three-hour hearing was Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont. He indicated he might support censure, which would bring the number of Feingold's co-sponsors in his lonely quest to four of the Senate's 44 Democrats.

The two others who have signed on to support censure are Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa and Sen. Barbara Boxer of California, who quietly offered her support last week. Neither are members of the judiciary panel.

"The president told the American people on more than one occasion that if domestic wiretapping were taking place, it was being done with a court order. That simply wasn't true, and this president has to be held accountable for breaking a very clear law, which requires a warrant when spying on Americans on U.S. soil,'' Boxer said Friday in a statement.

California's other senator, Judiciary Committee member Dianne Feinstein, didn't attend the hearing. "Other scheduling commitments,'' her spokesman Howard Gantman said.

Most Democrats are nervous, if not dismayed, by Feingold's election-year proposal. It excoriates Bush, accusing him of breaking the law by violating civil liberties while skirting congressionally approved provisions for going to court to get domestic wiretapping warrants.

Some Democrats feel Feingold's proposal goes too far by attacking a president while the country is involved in war. Others fear it could energize Republicans, much as GOP efforts to impeach Democratic President Bill Clinton backfired on Republican candidates in the 1998 congressional elections.

Republicans say the resolution is a partisan move by Wisconsin's Feingold, who is interested in running for president in 2008, and could weaken Bush in his effort to defeat international terrorism.

Feingold said he wasn't deterred. "If we in the Congress don't stand up for ourselves and for the American people, we become complicit in the lawbreaking. A resolution of censure is the appropriate response, even a modest approach,'' he said.

The committee's chairman, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., opposes censure, but he called the hearing and gave Feingold the right to call two of the five witnesses who were heard. Feingold cannily turned to figures associated with Republicans, former Reagan administration Justice Department official Bruce Fein and Dean, Nixon's White House counsel, who blew the whistle on the Watergate coverup and went to prison for his crimes.

Dean, now an author who traveled from his California home for the hearing, said the National Security Agency eavesdropping case is far more of a threat to American liberties than the Watergate scandal. He said Bush's order for the warrantless eavesdropping, which began shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, is "part of a consistent, long-term, announced policy of this administration that they want to expand power for the sake of power.''

Dean said he doesn't view censure as a partisan matter. Instead, he appealed to Congress' sense of its role in the constitutional system of separation of powers and a desire to prevent worse abuses in the future.

"Had the Senate or House, or both, censured or somehow warned Richard Nixon, the tragedy of Watergate might have been prevented. Hopefully, the Senate will not sit by while even more serious abuses unfold before it,'' Dean testified.

Some of the five Republicans who attended the rare Friday morning hearing, all outspoken opponents of the censure move, didn't take kindly to the appearance by Dean, whom they still view with deep disdain three decades after Watergate.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said Dean's presence -- coupled with a censure proposal that is "completely without merit'' -- created a "surreal atmosphere.''

Referring to Dean, Cornyn said, "When I was looking this morning at one of the witnesses that's going to be testifying, that's selling a book and that is a convicted felon, it strikes me as very odd that the Judiciary Committee is giving ... an opportunity to somebody under those circumstances as part of their marketing efforts.''

Cornyn didn't stick around to hear Dean's response.

"I think it's important that the committee sometimes hear from the dark side. Those of us from that perspective can add some insights that might not otherwise be available to a body like this,'' Dean said.

Dean, whose 2004 book, "Worse than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush,'' laid out a possible impeachment case against Bush, said he wasn't in Washington promoting a book. However, he added later, he has a new volume coming out this summer called "Conservatives Without Conscience'' that will mention Cornyn.

"I think I have probably more experience first-hand than anybody might want in what can go wrong and how a president can get on the other side of the law,'' said Dean, who served only four months in federal custody in return for his cooperation with Watergate prosecutors.

The Republicans said Bush hadn't acted illegally, and they pointed out that no senator has called for an end to the eavesdropping. The president has said the wiretapping program is limited to communications between people in this country and someone abroad, either of whom is linked to al Qaeda or other terrorist groups. Bush has reauthorized the program every 45 days and has informed eight top congressional leaders of the program.

"This constitutionally suspect effort to punish the president by censure rests on premises which are, at best, highly debatable and at worst misleading or even false,'' said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah.

Saying they don't want to kill the eavesdropping program, several members of Congress have made proposals to end any questions about whether such programs are legal. Specter has introduced a bill, for example, that would give judges of the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court the power to assess the legality of programs such as the wiretapping.

"I believe that the question of judicial review is rock-bed Americana, and I want to be sure the president has the authority he needs to protect America, but that's up to the court to decide,'' Specter said.

Dean said such a law would be fruitless while Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney are in office. He cited Bush's signing of anti-torture legislation, which was undercut by a statement from the president saying he didn't intend to comply with the law.

"Let's say the chairman's bill passes. What concerns me is the pattern that seems to be the prologue. While the signing ceremony is going on, Dick Cheney will draft a signing statement that guts it,'' Dean said.

After the hearing, Feingold said he isn't particularly concerned by the sparse support from his colleagues. "This was a fine attendance for a Friday morning,'' when many senators have already left town, he said.

"It was a serious hearing,'' said Feingold, who said he will press ahead with his measure, even risking a loss if Specter calls a full committee vote on the proposal.

Re: Colleagues cool to Feingold's bid to censure Bush

Maybe the Democrats are realizing that to censure the president for trying to make the country more secure is not a good idea.

The president finally does something good and everyone hates him for it.

Liberals (or, more specifically, Bush haters) want it both ways. They want to censure him for tapping terrorisists OUTSIDE of the U.S. But if the president didn't allow it and some terrorist event happened and the public found out that it could have been avoided by placing a phone tap in such a way as was done, the President would have more calls for impeachment or censure.

I am definitely not a fan of this president, but when he does something good, something to protect us I am going to defend him, no matter what party is affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFusion
    Maybe the Democrats are realizing that to censure the president for trying to make the country more secure is not a good idea.
    No, Bush is hurting his own party all on his own, he doesn't need any help.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFusion
    The president finally does something good and everyone hates him for it.
    How do you equate stripping Americans of their rights and freedoms, trashing lawyer client/Doctor patient confidentiality, and not being held accountable for breaking a very clear law as a "good thing"?

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    No, Bush is hurting his own party all on his own, he doesn't need any help.
    Huh? What does that have to do with the democrats actually figuring out that punishing the president for protecting this country, might not be such a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    How do you equate stripping Americans of their rights and freedoms, trashing lawyer client/Doctor patient confidentiality, and not being held accountable for breaking a very clear law as a "good thing"?
    And here is exactly the problem with the left in America today. The president was listening in on communications with suspected foreign terrorist, for reasons of intelligence gathering and national security, not to gather evidence against American citizens to use against them in law enforcement issues. Every court, judge, legal expert and person that knows anything about the law understands, just as the administration does, that even if any incriminating evidence against a non-terrorist affiliated American was accidently picked up in the NSA program, it is not admissable in court and can`t be used against that individule in a domestic law enforcement matter.

The president is using every means at his disposal to protect this country, and I for one commend him for doing so, and support him continuing this effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17

The president was listening in on communications with suspected foreign ist, for reasons of intelligence gathering and national security, not to gather evidence against American citizens to use against them in law enforcement issues.
    There is a lot of detail, but the evidence available clearly shows this statement is false. A more accurate answer would be ' Not Enough Information Available'.
    NEIA to find smoking gun evidence for impeachment yet!
    NEIA because DOJ won't provided it.
    NEIA because we have not yet heard complete testimony from Russell Tice.
    NEIA because congress sucks.........................
    All indicators suggest that Bush's NSA wiretapping is used for much more than finding ists.
    Gonzales has also claimed that the Gov't does not have to provide source info on some cases presently being investigated by the FBI and JTTF.
    Most of the cases they have on the table have nothing to do with ists.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    Huh? What does that have to do with the democrats actually figuring out that punishing the president for protecting this country, might not be such a good idea?

And here is exactly the problem with the left in America today. The president was listening in on communications with suspected foreign terrorist, for reasons of intelligence gathering and national security, not to gather evidence against American citizens to use against them in law enforcement issues. Every court, judge, legal expert and person that knows anything about the law understands, just as the administration does, that even if any incriminating evidence against a non-terrorist affiliated American was accidently picked up in the NSA program, it is not admissable in court and can`t be used against that individule in a domestic law enforcement matter.

The president is using every means at his disposal to protect this country, and I for one commend him for doing so, and support him continuing this effort.
    Grim...how do you know who or what the Bush crew was listening to? Unless you have some type of top secret clearance, you are as clueless as the rest of us when it comes to this spy program. You know damn well you are way off base when you imply that democrats are punishing Bush for protecting the country. This isn't a question of protecting the country but rather a question of following the law. If you think this guy is above the law because he says so, fine. A president can do both a domestic and a foreign spy program within the guidelines already in place. Bush just chose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Those spineless idiots in Washington. What kind of blackmail is this president using on them anyway? The Congress is supposed to be keeping the president in line, that IS constitutional.

Some Democrats feel Feingold's proposal goes too far by attacking a president while the country is involved in war.

For me, THIS statement says a mouth full! And it doesn't just apply to this particular situation.. it's across the board.

I am ashamed of the way my Democratic representatives just sit back and say nothing. They tip-toe around this administration in total fear of "how it will appear" if they attempt to do THEIR JOB while we are at war....

"SHHHHHH.. don't say that… don’t do that… rock the boat? are you crazy? We should be SUPPORTING our President – we’re at war – we can’t be questioning the administration during wartime – we could be called anti-American - what will people think of us??” :eek:

Here’s what I think… They’re a bunch of whimpy ass holes who need to start standing up to this gang of murdering, destructive, self-serving, disgraceful liars in the White House, and do THE JOB they were elected to do. When one of them, in this case Feingold, DOES grow some balls – the rest of them abandon him. They seem to have forgotten HOW this war got started in the first place – i.e Bush’s lies – PLANNED LIES. It’s PATHETIC :rolleyes:

And Bush is taking FULL advantage of the Democrats’ self inflicted fear. He does what he wants – when he wants – and answers to NO AMERICAN. He will kiss the ass of anyone he needs to if it serves his own interest – Mexicans are on the top of his list right now. I hate this SOB for what he is doing to this country - but the fact that the Democrats are letting him get away with it is even worse. Whether they can ACTUALLY get anything done or not is irrelevant - they need to TRY. :mad:

I’m fed up with the whole damn bunch of ‘em – on BOTH sides of the aisle.

Is there ANYBODY in Washington that is capable of putting this country BEFORE their OWN INTERESTS???

:confused:

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    For me, THIS statement says a mouth full! And it doesn't just apply to this particular situation.. it's across the board.

I am ashamed of the way my Democratic representatives just sit back and say nothing. They tip-toe around this administration in total fear of "how it will appear" if they attempt to do THEIR JOB while we are at war....

"SHHHHHH.. don't say that… don’t do that… rock the boat? are you crazy? We should be SUPPORTING our President – we’re at war – we can’t be questioning the administration during wartime – we could be called anti-American - what will people think of us??” :eek:

Here’s what I think… They’re a bunch of whimpy ass holes who need to start standing up to this gang of murdering, destructive, self-serving, disgraceful liars in the White House, and do THE JOB they were elected to do. When one of them, in this case Feingold, DOES grow some balls – the rest of them abandon him. They seem to have forgotten HOW this war got started in the first place – i.e Bush’s lies – PLANNED LIES. It’s PATHETIC :rolleyes:

And Bush is taking FULL advantage of the Democrats’ self inflicted fear. He does what he wants – when he wants – and answers to NO AMERICAN. He will kiss the ass of anyone he needs to if it serves his own interest – Mexicans are on the top of his list right now. I hate this SOB for what he is doing to this country - but the fact that the Democrats are letting him get away with it is even worse. Whether they can ACTUALLY get anything done or not is irrelevant - they need to TRY. :mad:

I’m fed up with the whole damn bunch of ‘em – on BOTH sides of the aisle.

Is there ANYBODY in Washington that is capable of putting this country BEFORE their OWN INTERESTS???

... Brother! Where have you been all my life!? AMEN! Finally, someone with as much anger and disgust in the democratic party as myself. If I could only buy you a drink or two. WELL SAID! Most Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by BatarngForce
    ... Brother! Where have you been all my life!? AMEN! Finally, someone with as much anger and disgust in the democratic party as myself. If I could only buy you a drink or two. WELL SAID! Most Excellent.

It's clear that this country has devolved into a Soviet style one-party, fascist kleptocracy some time ago. The so-called "opposition" exists only to display token resistance within the framework of a totally faux "democratic" process. That makes it all the more innervating to observe these goose stepping monkeys prancing around here spreading their germs and stench on my flag.

One of the morons claims everything is so great in America simply because life is just peachy for him.
    And isn't this special? He just got back from a nice little vacation in Prague, which, actually, now has a far more representative and liberal democracy than do we.

The main reason why the little weasel had such a good time in Prague is because the Czech Government supports all the policies he so vehemently denounces. This is just typical of these brain-dead hypocrites.

Because the Czechs aren't habitually blowing much of their GDP on the costs of bullying others, minding everybody else's business and supporting Institutionalized Militarism, terror and torture around The Globe plus brutal apartheid in Palestine, they can easily afford to apply their revenues to things like education, universal health care and the enhancing of their own infrastructure which would include tourism and all the niceties that this idiot enjoyed so much.

Geez..I loathe these monkeys.
    Last edited by dchristie; 04-02-2006 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim

Nope, sad but true. Something must be done to stop the rich from being the only ones able to get elected. But the rich are in charge of making the rules and will never give up that power until we give them no other choice.

Lots of people here have good ideas about change; we just have no ideas on how to implement those changes. I do not believe the Democrats or the Republicans are the answer.

I also sadly don’t believe a third party will ever be able to have the power necessary to do it either.

We need a Pearl Harbor or 911 for the American people just like Chaney got. Something massive to shake up Washington to its core. We must some how make them pay for what they are doing to our country. But it would be next to impossible, since they are holding all of the cards.
    Last edited by Worried_in_the_USA; 04-02-2006 at 08:31 PM.