+ Reply to Thread

Beware False Job Offers on Career Builder

These are hard times, and for those of us with families to support that have no jobs, any job offer is cause for excitement. I am a 20 year Military Vet. I am retiring on the 28th of February and I have been working so hard for the last 6 months to get a job lined up. I am hoping to get hired on with a Security Firm. So I created a Career Builder profile with resume along with many other Job seeking sites (Monster, HotJobs, Indeed, etc....

I deleted my CareerBuilder account. Any company that bombards me with job offers like that is up to no good. The works was career-network.com.
    Here is a letter I sent them in reply to a letter (fake job offer) they sent me. After completing all the info, there was no actual job offer as stated in the email. Instead I was forced (I could not proceed with the application process until I filled out ALL the blanks for the college info) give info in order to get to the application, that didn't exist. It just let me to Career-Network.com which is a job database. Basically, they lured me from Career builder to their site. Here is the letter:

To Whom It May Concern,

I find your approach to be a complete and total lie. You sent me a Job Interview offer via email leading me to believe there was a prospect for aquiring a job with an actual company. In these times of hardships and lack of jobs, I find your methods to be dispicable, low and deceitful. I was very happy to be approached for a job. I even called my wife to the computer. But, after filling out all the information, including the info about college (it would not let me proceed without filling out all the info), I found no job offer. But I did immediately recieve a call from Colorado Technical University. Your business is disgusting and your tactics for obtaining information for University of Phoenix and Colorado Technical University are low and underhanded. How can you do something like this and rest at night? Because you have a job, and apparently job security (in the fact that there is "a sucker born every minute"), you feel you have license to taunt those of us hard working laborers that are pinning all of our hopes on future job prospects. I have a family to support, feed, clothe, and maintain the welfare of. This tactic is, I feel, the lowest of any I have ever seen. FInd your original letter after mine in the body of this email.

Michael Frazier

Here is the letter your company sent:

To: [email protected]
    CC:
    Subject: Security Officer position
    Date: 09 Feb 2009 12:39:47 -0500

Show Full Headers Back To [INBOX]
    Hi Michael ,

Our company is currently hiring full time Security Officers. This person must be 18 years of age or older, have a High School Diploma or GED, be eligible to work in the US, and have reliable transportation. We offer $12.00/hour plus great benefits, which we will discuss during your interview.

Michael , to avoid being flooded with applications and responses, I have only extended this opportunity to a few people. Your online resume caught my attention, and I would like to start the interview process as soon as I possibly can. I am eager to hear back from you today, if at all possible. By clicking the hyperlink below, you can view more information about the position, benefits offered, our company, and send in your application as an interested candidate.

I am interested in applying for the Security Officer position.

I hope to have your application later today!

Best of Luck,

J. Howard

Human Resources Coordinator

Re: Beware False Job Offers on Career Builder

This ain't no joke. I never even completed the Careerbuilder application and forgot about it. Now I get "job offers" that appear in my spam folder. (Scam and spam, apt, no?) So this gentleman is perfect for illustating the stupidity of things like Careerbuilder and Monster.

I wish I could make them disappear. They are continually spamming my work email.

Trust me, I'm not sticking up for CareerBuilder here -- I have gotten more than one scam job offer by having my resume there -- but to their credit they do post a disclaimer to let people know to check out all job offers thoroughly, and not to post personal information such as SS# or any bank info. (in this day and age, you would be pretty stupid to do so anyway, but who knows what some people are up to !! :-) )
    But I agree that right now, with so many of us out of work and desperate to find a way to make a legitimate living, we become ripe for these scam offers. And that's a shame. Shame for us that the economy is pushing us toward them, and shame on the scammers for taking advantage of us !!

I too have been receiving bougus job offers from CAreer Builder, and have had to report suspected fraud and criminal activities regarding same to FBI...
    I HOPE the FBI will ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING about the fraud, as this is a back door for terrorist operations! I even receive emais in Arabic!!!!!: