+ Reply to Thread

Drunk Teens? - Parents Pay Up!! Uh-oh

:eek: Just saw this on my local news here in Connecticut...

Local government officials are working on a law that will hold the PARENTS ACCOUNTABLE for under aged drinking on their property - whether they are aware of it or ot!

1) If teenagers throw a party while the parents are away and get caught, the parents/property owners will be arrested and fined $500.00.

2) If an under aged drinker leaves that party, gets into an accident and either dies or kills someone else - the parents can be prosecuted on involuntary manslaughter charges (death of another) or wrongful death (if the teen dies).

3) If the parents/property owners are home, have knowledge of the illegal drinking or provide the alcohol, they will be arrested, fined and or prosecuted, and THIER drivers licenses will be suspended.

All arrests will be published in the newspaper - some kind of "shame on you" section! The law, as it currently stands, only covers public property as far as contributing to a minor... this change will also include private property.

I think this is a GREAT IDEA! I have always felt that parents should be held accountable for the actions of their stupid kids. When the adults start getting in trouble for what their kids do, maybe they will become better parents!! It will be interesting to see how this turns out....

Hmmmmm... Would you want to be held accountable for the actions of your teenagers???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

umdkook Guest

Re: Drunk Teens? - Parents Pay Up!! Uh-oh

so i go away, my kid has some friends over, some idiot leaves all drunk and crashes and kills someone, and im responsible??

sorry, that is NOT justice.

umdkook Guest

i guess from now on as parents well have to videotape ourselves next to a current days newspaper instructing our kids not to drink or have kids over so that you can have a disclaimer if someone does drink at your house and then later does something.

That does sound a bit ridiculous...

No matter how good a parent you are, teenages will be influenced by their peers.

It's one thing if you're around and negligent and allow them to drink and they go out and do something stupid, but if you're not around, no way in hell should you be held accountable for someone else's actions...

Quote Originally Posted by umdkook
    so i go away, my kid has some friends over, some idiot leaves all drunk and crashes and kills someone, and im responsible??

sorry, that is NOT justice.
    I guess the question is this..

If this was the law and if your kid KNEW what could happen to YOU in this situation, would he/she allow friends to drink in your home? I would say most kids would not.

They don't think too much of it if they are the ones who might have a problem - nothing EVER happens to them ya know! But I would like to think that most (not all, of course - but most) would do whatever they had to in order to protect their parents. It depends on the parent/child relationship.

I just think it would make BOTH parties step back and THINK before they do something stupid. I will say this...

If your 17 year old son came to my house, got drunk and got into an accident on his way back to your house... I absolutely think I am responsible for that!

First of all.. I should know who my kid is hanging out with - Can I trust MY OWN kid to abide by the rules in MY HOUSE when I'm not home? If the answer to that question is "yes", then I don't have anything to worry about. Because if something comes up, he will handle the situation. And if he can't, he will get in touch with someone who can. If the answer is "no", then I have bigger problems than worrying about whether or not he's going to be partying in my absence.....

If I know who his friends are, as I should.. then I know which ones can be trusted to abide by MY RULES IN MY HOUSE when I'm not home. If I can't trust you - then you can't be here when I'm not. I WILL tell you to stay away from my house and I will also call your parents and discuss my concerns with them.

But that's just me... I'm sure your opinion will be voiced by many here in CT during this debate! It will be interesting........
    Last edited by Connecticut Victim; 03-31-2006 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by idshadow
    That does sound a bit ridiculous...

No matter how good a parent you are, teenages will be influenced by their peers.
    yeah.. but at YOUR expense????

Kids will be kids, I guess if they can't do it at your house, they can do it at some other stranger's house, or maybe out at the park.

I still find this to be a bit ridiculous, almost as bad as the "No Tolerance" policies at public schools.