+ Reply to Thread

zagat survey, LLC scam

ok, so another scam is the zagat survey llc, they send you a very believeable email at first telling you what you will do when you receive an overnighted check from FedEx in the mail for xx amount of dollars. the check comes and then they bust you to cash it at your bank to keep $500 and western union the remainder (total of check is $3000) to some mystery shopper in another state.....then they will send you your next assignment shortly. The check came looking like an official Wachovia Bank check so I took it to Wachovia and they confirmed that any ordinary teller would probably cash it (don't understand that) but 6-7 days later, I would receive a letter or phone call stating that I was responsible for the $3000.00 as the check did not clear!!! It was hard to find this scam on the Internet but after long and hard research, I found it......after receiving the first email, the remainder of the emails were not written in proper English!!! Darn Fools!!! Don't fall for it!!!

Re: zagat survey, LLC scam

thereason the scam works is because your bank trusts you. some people deposit several checks at a time and the bank has no reason to think you are foolish enough to take strange checks from strange people. the teller isn't going to call long distance and verify every check. this makes you responsible for everything you deposit or cash, just like it said in all that fine print you didn't read when you opened your account.

very common scam. good thing you didn't do it. have a beer.

i've been approached for something like this that went a long way toward looking legit but i was too busy to worry about it. i'd like to know, if you wanted to deposit a check like that, and take your sweet time before doing anything the 'business' asked of you or sending any money anywhere, within a week or 2 could you be assured whether the check of theirs was legitimate by then, so, if it didn't bounce, could this sometimes be a working process for us potential scamees? let's assume it's a check from england or canada for us americans.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrooce View Post
    i've been approached for something like this that went a long way toward looking legit but i was too busy to worry about it. i'd like to know, if you wanted to deposit a check like that, and take your sweet time before doing anything the 'business' asked of you or sending any money anywhere, within a week or 2 could you be assured whether the check of theirs was legitimate by then, so, if it didn't bounce, could this sometimes be a working process for us potential scamees? let's assume it's a check from england or canada for us americans.
    I could take your bank up to 6 weeks to check validity of the check. And it does not matter which country check is coming from. It is the same scam.

Any company that pays that much $500 for sending any money to someone else is a SCAM!!! A real "Secret Shopper" company has you pay with your own money then reimburses you for item purchased and the agreed on pay for the job (USUALLY UNDER $20 FOR EACH JOB) I do several "secret shops" and make about $50 a month plus the reimbursement.

Because I am at computer hours each day I have "signed up" with several of the scammers (KNOWING I WILL NOT CASH THE CHECKS) SO FAR I have received $1,750,000 in counterfiet checks, postal money orders, money grams and western union money orders. not one penny is good, I call the bank on 800# to notify them about fake, then call company check is drawn on tell them about fake.

What you are doing is called 'scambaiting', there are several websites dedicated to that hobby. If you haven't found them yet, you could check them out.

Alerting the issuing bank is a good idea as is making sure you are collecting fakes safely and legally. In some areas even the mere possession of fake checks and money orders is illegal, even if they are marked 'fake'. Have you checked with your local law enforcement agency to make sure you are able to keep your collection, as I would hate for you to get into trouble for doing what you are doing.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com