+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Use Your Political Beliefs To Choose A Movie

How To Use Your Political Beliefs To Decide Your Movie Choices

If you are a movie-lover, seeing the wrong movie due to erroneous information can be especially frustrating. Not only are you spending $50 or so for two people, you are wasting the most precious commodity of all: your leisure time.

Professional movie critics are as close as there is to the prototypical 'liberal' person. Their job is to do nothing except criticize the work of others, they exist on the Hollywood periphery and so have no understanding of normal people, they are necessarily self-possessed, and they become quickly indignant at the very idea of American success or power.

So, here is a quick thumbnail guide to how to choose your movies.

First, if you are a liberal, simply look at the expert reviews and scores on http://www.rottentomatoes.com. Easy, right? If you are really a liberal--bitter, angry all the time, select the 'Top Expert' tab.

If, however, you are a normal person, here is how it breaks out:

There are two tools to use. The first and easiest to navigate is the Internet Movie Database http://www.imdb.com. Here you will find reviews by other folks who have seen the movie.

The other source requires a bit more effort to utilize. It is the same rottentomatoes.com site listed above but you will have to navigate to the 'RT Community' tab.

The scores from both of these sources will be similar, with the IMDB being slightly more accurate due to the lack of poisonous influence from the 'experts'.

Afraid of missing out on a great movie by using this system? Never fear. The public, as a whole, is very, very good at rating movies. If you will look at the all-time highest rated from IMDB, you will find this:
    1. 9.1 The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    2. 9.1 The Godfather (1972)
    3. 9.0 The Godfather: Part II (1974)
    4. 8.9 Buono, il brutto, il cattivo., Il (1966)
    5. 8.9 The Dark Knight (2008)
    6. 8.9 Pulp Fiction (1994)
    7. 8.8 Schindler's List (1993)
    8. 8.8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    9. 8.8 12 Angry Men (1957)
    10. 8.8 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    11. 8.8 Casablanca (1942)
    12. 8.8 Star Wars (1977)
    13. 8.8 Shichinin no samurai (1954)

So, if you were worried about missing 'Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo' because the audience isn't savvy, never fear. Yes, this movie is probably better known as 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly', but I am consistently surprised by the strong performances of older films when I look at the top 250 http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Of course, back then nearly every critic didn't despise their own country and feign horror at any sort of violence unless they deem that it is 'for a good cause'. Incidentally, 'Citizen Kane' is at 29, 'Apocalypse Now' at 37, and 'Taxi Driver' can be found at number 38.

Using this system can allow you to make logically reasoned, unemotional choices without any risk of missing anything good. 'Slumdog?'? Critics-94% Normal people-92% 'The Wrestler'? Critics-98% People-92%( normal people do not become hysterical over films) 'Benjamin Button'? 70%-83%.

Just for fun, take a look at some of the internal comparisons at the RT site. For instance, 'Rambo', an extremely slick and well-made thriller by any standard, is scored at 26% by the 'top critics' and 82% by 'normal people'. Probably a gratuitous example due to the status of Rambo as iconic American Military Hero, but still telling.

How about a recent film? 'Taken' is a new film about a retired ex-operative who has to track down the kidnappers of his own daughter. Think there might be the risk of some violence to the kidnappers? Well, how would you deal with the kidnappers of your own daughter? You know liberals cannot rate this movie with a clear mind because then we drift into such quandaries as the use of violence to extract information--not really a quandary at all for normal people in a situation like this one. 'Expert' critics? 42% Normal people? 91%.

See you there!

There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Re: Use Your Political Beliefs To Choose A Movie

at least your talkin about movies!?still cant leave your politics out of it though!?so what did you think of "gran torino"!?or "dances with wolves"!?:freak3: :judges::spin2: : heeh!!....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    at least your talkin about movies!?still cant leave your politics out of it though!?so what did you think of "gran torino"!?or "dances with wolves"!?:freak3: :judges::spin2: : heeh!!....just askn...
    I thought Gran Torino was really good, a 'lite' entry from arguably the Best Living American Director. Dances with Wolves is brilliant, and is an ongoing testament to the strange and unpredictable talent of Costner.

--Thomas Jefferson

Good post pwrone :)

Perhaps the movie critics simply aren't writing reviews for the average person? Perhaps they recognise who their target audience is? Hell, if they didn't, and they just gave reviews in line with public opinion, they'd be out of a job and replaced by an internet poll. The sort of person that listens to a movie critic before going to see a movie isn't the sort of person that enjoys Rambo. That doesn't necessarily make them a liberal or a conservative.

Not everything is part of the great liberal conspiracy.

Die Hard 4 received 81% (76% @ IMDB). Surely those liberals wouldn't give such a rating to a movie where terrorists get the crap shot out them. They love terrorists, don't they? But they rated it even higher than IMDB! What's going on?

Gran Torino received 77% (85% @ IMDB). I would have thought a white vigilante dealing with inner city crime would be anathema to liberals...

Air force one rates 78 % (62% @ IMDB)

True lies rates 68% (71% @ IMDB)

Ok, so they don't seem to be any more pro-terrorist than the population at large, how do they feel about the US army? We all know liberals hate the army, that's why they rated Rambo so bad, "a gratuitous example due to the status of Rambo as iconic American Military Hero, but still telling." So instead of cherry-picking one movie to prove our point, lets take at look armytimes.com's top 3 military movies.

Full Metal Jacket rates 96% (83% @ IMDB)

Patton rates 97% (81% @ IMDB)

Black Hawk Down rates 76% (76% @ IMDB)

Hmm... those evil liberals sure do seem fond of the army.

Maybe.... just maybe..... there isn't really a great liberal conspiracy taking over hollywood and the rest of the world.

Oh, and btw, the older reviews weren't written at a time when "nearly every critic didn't despise their own country and feign horror at any sort of violence unless they deem that it is 'for a good cause'." They were written recently. Full Metal Jacket, for example, has almost all of it's reviews coming within the the last 2 years.

And rambo was a pretty shithouse movie.
    Last edited by kazza; 02-01-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    Die Hard 4 received 81% (76% @ IMDB). Surely those liberals wouldn't give such a rating to a movie where terrorists get the crap shot out them. They love terrorists, don't they? But they rated it even higher than IMDB! What's going on?

Gran Torino received 77% (85% @ IMDB). I would have thought a white vigilante dealing with inner city crime would be anathema to liberals...

Air force one rates 78 % (62% @ IMDB)

True lies rates 68% (71% @ IMDB)

Ok, so they don't seem to be any more pro-terrorist than the population at large, how do they feel about the US army? We all know liberals hate the army, that's why they rated Rambo so bad, "a gratuitous example due to the status of Rambo as iconic American Military Hero, but still telling." So instead of cherry-picking one movie to prove our point, lets take at look armytimes.com's top 3 military movies.

Full Metal Jacket rates 96% (83% @ IMDB)

Patton rates 97% (81% @ IMDB)

Black Hawk Down rates 76% (76% @ IMDB)

Hmm... those evil liberals sure do seem fond of the army.

Maybe.... just maybe..... there isn't really a great liberal conspiracy taking over hollywood and the rest of the world.

Oh, and btw, the older reviews weren't written at a time when "nearly every critic didn't despise their own country and feign horror at any sort of violence unless they deem that it is 'for a good cause'." They were written recently. Full Metal Jacket, for example, has almost all of it's reviews coming within the the last 2 years.

And rambo was a pretty shithouse movie.

Your childlike selection of films here is quite telling. You don't have any idea what you are talking about, but you haven't let that stop you from posting. Good on ya!

There is no common thread from any one of these movies you have grouped together to any other of those movies. None. Not one.

Because you
    A)are not a 'movie person',
    B)have no understanding of this country,
    C) live where no one makes movies, (Yeah, I know: 'Ned Kelly'. Next?)
    D) have no understanding of the politics of Hollywood or the US, we are unable to explore the many nuances of the way 'military' films are reviewed, or moviemaking in general.

It isn't that we couldn't discuss it, it is just that we would have to first explore the complicated way that the opinions about the military in the USA have evolved over time, both from the public and critics. No one has that kind of time, let's face it.

I said in the post that perhaps 'Rambo' was not such a good example. However, as it turns out, 'Rambo' is the perfect example. Here you have suggested that those who watch 'Rambo' just don't read reviews, which would qualify you-- by your sheer ing arrogance--to be a critic! The problem is that you don't really watch movies, you just wanted to share your disdain on this thread.

We could talk about Gran Torino all day long, but you have obviously not seen it. If you had, you would know that it is not a 'vigilante' film. Not even for a moment.

And we can't really even discuss 'Rambo' because, let's face it, you didn't see that one either. We can't discuss how 'Rambo' is not really a 'military movie' at all, but a character that carries different connotations with the public and critics. You might understand some of that if you had seen the movies, but you did not. How do I know? Well, you obviously don't see a lot of movies. Why would you choose that one? It is the conclusion of a story about an American Vietnam vet, so really...why would you see it?

So, finally, my post is an attempt to help folks navigate through critic's ratings in order to keep an open mind before selecting.

And what have you provided? An overview of ratings from armytimes.com. Yep, armytimes.com. Where thinkers everywhere go for their movie reviews!

As for your lame parting shot, my point, of course, was that I was delighted that so many folks were seeing the older movies, the '12 Angry Men'-type films in B&W. I guess I could also explain how to go about using RT to look at the reviews from those days, but I won't. You have too much on your plate as it is.

Last edited by pwrone; 02-02-2009 at 01:34 AM.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Fair enough mate. I retract the above posts. Was in an angry mood and looking for an argument, any argument, when I wrote that. Just got back from taking my energy out on the pavement, not sure why I was so pissed anymore.

I AM a movie person. My husband and I own a few hundred movies. I'm definitely more liberal, however I HATE RAMBO!!!!!!! Rambo as a slick thriller?? That movie puts me to sleep. Sylvester Stalone couldn't act if his life depended on it! The "normal people" from that site seem to mostly be men. I don't see some of the most loved movies by women ANYWHERE on any of those lists. (For instance, where is My Fair Lady? FANTASTIC movie, but not on the list??) I think that list is bull, and I think its a horrible representation of an entire population's feelings towards movies. Sure, in the past men dominated movies. (The movie industry even admits that if it wants to make a film that will make money, then they'll make movie aimed towards men.) BUT this view is starting to change due to the success of Sex and the City (which I personally hated) and Twilight, which brought in over 3 times what it cost for Summit Entertainment. And that's just the sale of movie tickets, that doesn't include the t-shirts, jewelry, and numerous other Twilight related items that have consistely sold like crazy.

To me it doesn't like liberal movie lists, it looks like male dominated movie lists. BLECH!

Fair enough mate. I retract the above posts. Was in an angry mood and looking for an argument, any argument, when I wrote that. Just got back from taking my energy out on the pavement, not sure why I was so pissed anymore.
    Damn it! Now I feel bad. This is what happens when I exchange pleasantries with dchristie too much. I'm sorry for being a dick. We're cool. You're still awesome.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    I AM a movie person. My husband and I own a few hundred movies. I'm definitely more liberal, however I HATE RAMBO!!!!!!! Rambo as a slick thriller?? That movie puts me to sleep. Sylvester Stalone couldn't act if his life depended on it! The "normal people" from that site seem to mostly be men. I don't see some of the most loved movies by women ANYWHERE on any of those lists. (For instance, where is My Fair Lady? FANTASTIC movie, but not on the list??) I think that list is bull, and I think its a horrible representation of an entire population's feelings towards movies. Sure, in the past men dominated movies. (The movie industry even admits that if it wants to make a film that will make money, then they'll make movie aimed towards men.) BUT this view is starting to change due to the success of Sex and the City (which I personally hated) and Twilight, which brought in over 3 times what it cost for Summit Entertainment. And that's just the sale of movie tickets, that doesn't include the t-shirts, jewelry, and numerous other Twilight related items that have consistely sold like crazy.

To me it doesn't like liberal movie lists, it looks like male dominated movie lists. BLECH!

This is a great point, and no one really talks about it!

I wonder what percentage of professional critics are women? I'll bet it is under 25. And I would guess that the percentage of female amateur interviewers in those forums is probably less than 30%. So the numerical scores can't mean anything to women because they are weighed so heavily toward men's opinions. Hmmm...maybe they should offer breakouts by gender.

So, while Pauline Kael may be the best known of all the reviewers, I think she is, like, 100 years old. Where do contemporary women go for their reviews? I have a book called something like 'Two Black Chicks review movies'. It is pretty funny and their reviews are excellent. I think they might be syndicated, and could probably be found on RT.

Yep, you won't find many musicals at all on lists like that. All these current article-oriented magazines seem to favor these lists to the exclusion of all else. I think this is a way for people to avoid having to read and learn, and that is the advice I always hear...write '5 ways to..'.or 'The 10 things you must know before...' articles to query and print.

As for the 'Rambo' stories, they started with a movie called 'First Blood' which was based on a book with a screenplay by Stallone himself. It is an an excellent movie and was well reviewed at the time. It features some great scenes where Brian Dennehy as the out-of-control lawman who hates that dirty war vet Rambo and keeps telling his men to go out into the woods after him. Into the woods. After Rambo. They seem...less than enthusiastic. LOL

The next couple of movies were kinda 1980's exploitation films and not good, but the last chapter-- 'Rambo'-- released last year, is a very solid film and explored themes of origins and rebirth. He is finally able to really see the futile and horrific devastation of making war, and returns to the US to reunite with his family. A strong, emotional conclusion to the saga.

Stallone? C'mon!! Give some credit where it is due. He was stone broke when they offered him $100000 for his script for 'Rocky'. He said not unless I play the character. That is some backbone, the movie is a classic by any measure, and the character is a beloved and enduring American icon.

The last two films he has made closed the loop on two characters he created that were bigger than life, and he closed with movies that were better than all previous chapters save the first. Not too bad.

Last edited by pwrone; 02-02-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Kazza, I certianly respect a man that can admit when he is wrong or in this case your honesty. I tip my hat to you.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    This is a great point, and no one really talks about it!

I wonder what percentage of professional critics are women? I'll bet it is under 25. And I would guess that the percentage of female amateur interviewers in those forums is probably less than 30%. So the numerical scores can't mean anything to women because they are weighed so heavily toward men's opinions. Hmmm...maybe they should offer breakouts by gender.

So, while Pauline Kael may be the best known of all the reviewers, I think she is, like, 100 years old. Where do contemporary women go for their reviews? I have a book called something like 'Two Black Chicks review movies'. It is pretty funny and their reviews are excellent. I think they might be syndicated, and could probably be found on RT.

Yep, you won't find many musicals at all on lists like that. All these current article-oriented magazines seem to favor these lists to the exclusion of all else. I think this is a way for people to avoid having to read and learn, and that is the advice I always hear...write '5 ways to..'.or 'The 10 things you must know before...' articles to query and print.

As for the 'Rambo' stories, they started with a movie called 'First Blood' which was based on a book with a screenplay by Stallone himself. It is an an excellent movie and was well reviewed at the time. It features some great scenes where Brian Dennehy as the out-of-control lawman who hates that dirty war vet Rambo and keeps telling his men to go out into the woods after him. Into the woods. After Rambo. They seem...less than enthusiastic. LOL

The next couple of movies were kinda 1980's exploitation films and not good, but the last chapter-- 'Rambo'-- released last year, is a very solid film and explored themes of origins and rebirth. He is finally able to really see the futile and horrific devastation of making war, and returns to the US to reunite with his family. A strong, emotional conclusion to the saga.

Stallone? C'mon!! Give some credit where it is due. He was stone broke when they offered him $100000 for his script for 'Rocky'. He said not unless I play the character. That is some backbone, the movie is a classic by any measure, and the character is a beloved and enduring American icon.

The last two films he has made closed the loop on two characters he created that were bigger than life, and he closed with movies that were better than all previous chapters save the first. Not too bad.

I'm just not a huge Rambo or Stallone fan. I saw the new Rambo (my husband owns ALL of them) and I hated it. I haven't honestly bothered with Rocky. (Though we own that one too.) When it comes to action and thrillers, my personal taste is more along movies like "Hunted" or politics has to be involved (like Munich).

In all honesty, most of my movies are comedies though. I don't care if the plot isn't interesting enough for some - I prefer movies that make me laugh. And the raunchier, the better. (Personally, I LOVE Superbad, Pineapple Express, and I'm looking forward to the new Jack Black/Michael Cera movie. I also love Will Ferrell movies.)

how about the military movie "the last castle" or "in the valley of elah"!?:freak3: :judges::spin2: : hehe!!.....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    how about the military movie "the last castle" or "in the valley of elah"!?:freak3: :judges::spin2: : hehe!!.....just askn...
    'In The Valley of Elah' was a great film...right up until the most ridiculous closing shot in movie history.

Gotta love Tommy Lee Jones. Never seen a bad performance. lisan just referenced 'Hunted', another great Jones performance. How about 'No Country'...
    "Well, it's a mess, ain't it, Sheriff?"
    ďIf it ainít, itíll do till the mess gets hereĒ

Last edited by pwrone; 02-03-2009 at 01:02 AM.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    'In The Valley of Elah' was a great film...right up until the most ridiculous closing shot in movie history.

Gotta love Tommy Lee Jones. Never seen a bad performance. lisan just referenced 'Hunted', another great Jones performance. How about 'No Country'...
    "Well, it's a mess, ain't it, Sheriff?"
    ďIf it ainít, itíll do till the mess gets hereĒ

hey!?we both like tommy lee jones!?i just watched "in the electric mist"!?no country was excellent!?the funny thing is,i think i started out hatin the guy because of the cop chasin the doctor flick!?"the fugitive"!?i have a natural dislike for cops anyway!?i just looked up his career of films!?i see lots of unknowns for me.will have to go digging!?first will be "3 burials of M.E."it got great reviews!?or maybe i should watch "the good ol boys" first!?:freak3: :judges::spin2: : heeh!!.....just askn...
    Last edited by lexx; 02-03-2009 at 07:14 PM.