+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

QUESTION - URGENT - Scam from "customer"

I got another kind of email, I did not think it is fraud as we are an online store and we need to give our details sometimes to people who want to pay with a money order. After I sent the "customer" the name of the bank account holder and account number, I checked his email address and saw that it is associated with lotto fraud etc, so he is defiantly a scam. The question is:

We gave him the name of the account holder and bank account number only, should we worry? What should we do?

THANKS

Re: QUESTION - URGENT - Scam from "customer"

I'd worry. He'll probably take that info and use your identity. You REALLY shouldn't have done that....

what he can do without PIN etc?

Personally, I would immediately transfer all funds to another account and close that account. A pain in the ass, but worth it to be safe.

ho god, that would be such a headace..... no other way to do this? if they dont have pin can they do anything? they dont have photos, copy of passport, address... anything else, just name and #... can I call the bank and ask them to take extra security mesures or anything like that? It cant be that closing the account is the only option......

plz advise

Anyone who you have ever given a check to has your bank account number, routing number and name.
    I like stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by donaldv
    ho god, that would be such a headace..... no other way to do this? if they dont have pin can they do anything? they dont have photos, copy of passport, address... anything else, just name and #... can I call the bank and ask them to take extra security mesures or anything like that? It cant be that closing the account is the only option......

plz advise
    There is no PIN on a bank account, only on bank CARDS. With the info you gave him, he probably already has withdrawn the balance of your bank account. If I were you, I'd get off the net and do something about it NOW, not tommorrow or in an hour.

If you're complaining that it would be headache, you aren't taking this situation seriously enough. What would be a headache is to lose your money, have your checks to bounce for the next week, and get hit by overdraft fees to add insult to injury. With th info you provided, there are MULTIPLE ways a criminal can clean out your bank account in under an hour.
    Last edited by Charles78; 03-25-2006 at 07:07 PM.

Hey,

I meant the PIN for online banking or for doing any changes when you call. The bank account is a US bank but we are in Europe. Their call center does not work until monday. As someone said, this info is on any check. The question is, if I really need to fly to the US from Europe or just to call the bank on monday and see what they say. What can the bank do in such a situation? I was thinking about closing all the funds there into a closed savings account for 3 month. Is there anything else you can think of? Can't they mark our account for "extra protection" or something? There must be something else to do other than closing the account.

Extra protection is getting rid of the account, how woud the bank know if it was a charge you wanted or a charge they were doing? They will probably drain your account if you don't hurry, i would try to reach a main branc of the bank today...

donald;
    The one bank office that should never close is the security office. Get the e-ddress for your bank's security dept., and contact them immediately. Monitor your account, and report all unauthorized transactions to your bank, and- if traceable- to any business on the receiving end of the unauthorized transactions.
    Pull hardcopy of ALL your communications and account activity.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by donaldv
    Hey,

I meant the PIN for online banking or for doing any changes when you call. The bank account is a US bank but we are in Europe. Their call center does not work until monday. As someone said, this info is on any check. The question is, if I really need to fly to the US from Europe or just to call the bank on monday and see what they say. What can the bank do in such a situation? I was thinking about closing all the funds there into a closed savings account for 3 month. Is there anything else you can think of? Can't they mark our account for "extra protection" or something? There must be something else to do other than closing the account.
    They probably don't care about online banking, since they now have all the information they need to empty your account. Maybe in Europe it's different. But here in the U.S., that's all the info a person needs to steal every penny from your account.

A lot of businesses over here have their accounts set up so that they let their bank know ahead of time what checks and transfers they have authorized, and only those ones can go through.

And the thing about checks is really irrelevent. Yes, anyone you write a check to can commit bank fraud. But presumeably, you are writing them a check because they are someone you know and want to do business with. Their motive is to complete a transaction. Sounds like this anonymous internet guy's motive is to scam you, and that's probably what he did with the information.

Even if you don't believe me about how our banking system works, consider this: The guy would'nt go through all the trouble of getting your bank account info if he didn't have a plan for using it.
    Last edited by Charles78; 03-26-2006 at 12:28 AM.

donaldv - You've been handed an amazing amount of factual information and excellent advice - use it - NOW! My advice is to change the way you accept payment. Visa, Mastercard, American Express (probably the top 3 credit cards) and their affiliates change a fee - but it is very safe (2 -5%). They may reverse a payment made to you - but they usually investigate first (in 15 yrs I've had one disputed and I won). If your business is legit you will never have a problem. No one will have your banking information or access to your account. It's well worth the fee. An added advantage - the credit card deposit goes into your account within a day - bank transfers take days or weeks. I hope all goes well for you.

You guys are all overreacting significantly. As I said above, every check in your checkbook has your bank account number, your name, probably your address and your bank's routing number. That information is all over the place, and potentiallly everyone you have ever written a check to could have that number.
    I like stuff.

icojones - I agree with you in principle - however, I have personal experience to the contrary. I cancelled a credit card and three years later a charge was made to the card that I never authorized - took me three months to have it reversed. I didn't authorize the charge - they had no signature nor autorization # from the back of the card - mastercard confirmed the account was closed and they hadn't issued a valid "card expiry date" for three years - still they wanted the money. It shouldn't happen- but it does. Whether you win or loose depends on your knowledge of how these things work - or in this case - fail to work - to make your case. So that was three years ago - two days ago, I received a notice of a "change of terms" for this same mastercard (yep- the one cancelled six years ago). I called to enquire why - seems I overpaid it by $2.57 - 6 years ago. I don't have a card to charge to this account - but any tom, dick or harry with the info can. They assure me they will close it and confirm by mail. I'm waiting for the confirmation. Banks are not infallible, in fact, they take no responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by icojones
    You guys are all overreacting significantly. As I said above, every check in your checkbook has your bank account number, your name, probably your address and your bank's routing number. That information is all over the place, and potentiallly everyone you have ever written a check to could have that number.
    No one here is over-reacting. I take it you've never been a victim of bank fraud. If you think every check having the bank number means anything at all with regard to this situation, you are mistaken.

Bottom line is that the scammer has all the info he needs to commit fraud right now, and what scammers do is commit fraud.
    Last edited by Charles78; 03-26-2006 at 04:27 AM.

Go Charles!
    Icojones is simply stating what he knows. I think his intentions are good. His statements are correct. Your bank account, bank, home/business address and phone number are printed on every cheque. He has no motive other than his statement of the facts. No one can argue with that. This form of payment is still widely in use - although, I believe it is on the decline - as a business owner. Criminals seem to be just one step behind any new technology. Why is that?
    For example - Holograms on our currency? - I thought the cost to reproduce them would be prohibitive - not so!!! Try spending a $50 or $100 bill in Canada - all the fancy colors and the gold and silver embossing with the holograms, ink-marks, and denomination threads - still someone has found a way.
    I've taken up too much space here - please continue to reply to donaldv.