+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SHAME: On Us All.

Hello People,

If anyone here can go arguing about who and who is not a; Republican, or Democrat; Conservative, or Liberal; good, or evil; right, or wrong; patriot, or traitor, after reading this, than you a better man/woman than I. For the record: I ASHAMED TOO. :o

Shame

by georgia10
    Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 03:51:32 PM PDT

I am ashamed. I am ashamed of this President. Aren't you? After watching his press conference today, a sense of shame overtook me. I'm ashamed that he took to the podium today as if he emptied out a container of laughing gas. I'm ashamed of a President who has the temerity to laugh when asked a question about war. I'm ashamed of the *****s of the fourth estate who care more about having the honor of being the butt of one of the President's jokes than about exposing the truth to the American people. I'm ashamed that millions of my fellow Americans are so scared and so desperate for leadership that they believe the President's bull****.

I am ashamed. I'm ashamed of this President, this megalomaniac hellbent on leaving his assprint on the map of the Middle East, no matter how much destruction is wrought and no matter how much blood flows in the streets of lands that never threatened us. I'm ashamed that when I see the American flag waiving, images of flag-draped coffins flash in my mind. I'm ashamed of Freedom's MarchTM. Ashamed when I see villages reduced to rubble. Ashamed when I see the tiny little corpses. God, they're so painfully tiny--lined up in a row, little angels wrapped in colorful blankets that starkly contrast against their gray-tinged faces. Ashamed when I see wailing Iraqis slam their hands against plain, unvarnished coffins, over and over, asking "Why? Is this democracy? Why?" When I see those image of funerals, of broken families, I want to crawl into my TV, I want to go to them and grab their slumped shoulders and scream "I'm sorry, good god, I'm so sorry. I want to leave, I want us to leave, believe me. But they won't listen...No one listens anymore."

I'm ashamed that the word "massacre" is even uttered in connection with our actions in Iraq. I'm ashamed it's not just one massacre that is alleged, but two. I'm ashamed it's gotten to the point that I can't even tell this little voice inside of me to shut up, that little voice that says maybe, just maybe it could be true. That the impossible may be plausible. Before this war, I would have rejected such claims outright. But that voice of plausibility is the consequence of those black hoods. It's the consequence of those leashes, those snarling dogs. It's the consequence of those detainees chained to bedframes. Of naked pyramids. Of forced sex acts. Of beatings and blood-streaked floors.

I am ashamed. Ashamed that Justice is no longer blindfolded, but gagged. Ashamed that in America, in AMERICA, I can only protest in "free speech zones" the size of postage stamps. Ashamed that by the time I'll take my oath as an officer of the court to support the Constitution, I'll be swearing to uphold a tattered document that has managed to survive over 200 years only to be shredded by this President in less than eight.

I am ashamed. Ashamed that in America, I see bearded men panhandling in the street, holding cardboard signs that read "U.S. Vet, can't work, need food. God bless." Ashamed that somewhere, in our America, a grandmother is sitting alone at her kitchen table, crumpled bills clutched in her thin hands, agonizing over the choice before her: medicine for her pain, or food to keep on living. Ashamed that there is a child who will go to sleep tonight on a cot in an orphanage, with no one to read him a story, no one to stroke his hair and kiss him goodnight, because the American Taliban thinks gay Americans can't love, can't parent, can't provide.

I am ashamed of my fellow Americans. Ashamed that they haven't flooded the streets. Ashamed they care more about Brangelina than the Bill of Rights. Ashamed that they're seemingly ok with the subtle but steady transformation from democracy to dictatorship. Ashamed that they are so gullible.

I am ashamed of myself. For not having the courage or the strength to do anything else but sit here and blog. I write. I protest. I vote. And yet, I'm impotent. Stuck in a unrelenting cycle of hope and despair and hope and despair. What a curse it is to be 23 and want to change the world. What a curse to be so disillusioned so early in life. What a curse to want to change a world that will not change...that cannot change? That cannot change as long as we sit and wait for others to change it. That cannot change as long as our elected Democrats refuse to take a principled stand. That cannot change until they--until we--appreciate the gravity of the situation before us: we are losing America.

This is not America. I refuse to accept it. America doesn't torture. America doesn't jail people incommunicado for years. America doesn't sit idly by as an entire people are exterminated in Darfur. America doesn't stifle science. America doesn't conduct massive, secret spying on innocent citizens. America doesn't believe the individual is an annoyance, an impediment to supreme government power. This isn't the greatest democracy on earth. This isn't the nation that pioneered human rights. This isn't the America that leads the world, that leads humanity towards a greater good. No, I refuse to accept this America of shame. This is not my America. It is an America perverted by Republican stewardship. A nation that under GOP rule has abandoned its founding ideals of freedom, liberty, and justice for all. True Americans--coast to coast, young and old--now bow their heads silently in collective shame for a nation that has lost its way.

::

Shame

May God/Allah/Buddha/Krishna/The Great Spirit/The Creator/The Intelligent Designer; or whatever any of you call a higher power, FORGIVE US. Not just the U.S. but all of us.

While I am not a big movie fan, I must agree with a comment, made by one character. In the Matrix, "Agent Smith" said, while talking to Morpheus,

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure."

I have said that many times privately, and now I said it semipublicly, Humans are a Cancer on the Earth.

Ok, sermon over..... Back to regularly scheduled b.s. :(

DeeDee1965

Re: SHAME: On Us All.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    "Agent Smith" said, while talking to Morpheus,

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure."
    Smith is right. Where humans go, evil follows as does murder. We are an ignorant, savage race. Is it ironic that the only way to solve the current problem is to actually through violence... killing the right people. How can compassion for the people in Darfor [sp] ever take precidence over the inomparable power of greed and ignorance? It can't.

The uneducated masses have spoken. They and their god would rather continue on this highway to hell rather than ever conceive of having compassion for those that are less fortunate than us. We are all busy just trying to get by in this economy that we are "impotent" to do anything more than b!tch and moan. Peace through superior firepower?? Hell yes!

So... since we ***** and moan... what is the answer? Are we better off with this president? I ask you, you republicans. Are we better off? Are we making head way? Are we killing all the right people to make our country safer? Is $9 trillion enough debt? How much more? What is the answer?

Which brings me to... V. He had an answer. God forbid I ask such a question for fear of the goons a come knock knock knocking at my door. What is the answer? Picketing in the streets? It just makes us look stupid. It's not how the republicans won. Deceit and lies? I say yes, but the democrats are too weak to try something that the republicans are too good at. Clandestine political operations? Sounds good to me, but again we have scared and cowardly democrats leading the party. Maybe we should go watch tv? I know I'm waiting for Battlestar to start back up in October. Or maybe we should bring back Grim17 and pick on him some more. We need a good "scape goat" to make us feel better. To make us feel like our worthless lives are worth a crap. To make us feel that our opinions are actually heard by at least one other person.

We are pathetic. I'm not ashamed.

I'm disgusted. Disgusted at our impotence, at our evil, at our ignorance, at our unimitigated zelout leaders and all who are cowards to say anything at dinner time for fear of hurting a relatives feelings. Disgusted at the way we treat others. Disgusted at our superiority. Ashamed? No, just sick and disgusted... but obviously not sick or disgusted enough to put down the cowl and pick up where Frank Castle never really started.

And by sad contrast;

French protest at youth job plan
    Tuesday, 7 March 2006, 18:23 GMT

At least 100,000 people have protested across France against new youth employment contracts, disrupting airports and public services. Large crowds took part in peaceful rallies in Paris, Rennes, Marseilles, Grenoble and Nantes.

Air traffic and transport in 35 cities experienced some disturbances.

The government wants to let firms offer job contracts to people under 26 which would make it easier for them to be fired at short notice.

Full Story Here

DeeDee1965

umdkook Guest

"You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure."

ummm, isnt that what all life forms do??? whether its a single-celled virus or an ant colony or a lion or a human, thats what life is all about, at its basic level.

dont be so self loathing

Quote Originally Posted by umdkook
    ummm, isnt that what all life forms do??? whether its a single-celled virus or an ant colony or a lion or a human, thats what life is all about, at its basic level.
    LOL... I was thinking the same thing. I thought everyone knew that our only purpose here is to procreate... Preservation of Species. We just happen to be very good at it. Even Christianity, who's followers are notoriously reticent when it comes to sex, says we should "Go forth and multiply".

umdkook Guest

humans are Not cancer to this earth. we are humans and have abilities far greater than any other living thing in existance. we are able to do more with so little than any other organism. we are the top of the food chain. we are the king of the world. this earth exists to sustain us, to nourish us, and to sit back while we do what we want with it however we please....

humans are Not cancer to this earth. we are humans and have abilities far greater than any other living thing in existance. we are able to do more with so little than any other organism. we are the top of the food chain. we are the king of the world. this earth exists to sustain us, to nourish us, and to sit back while we do what we want with it however we please....
    Your conclusion is based on a literal interpretation of the bible and has no basis in fact. A more realistic evaluation:
    We have the potential to be enlighten care takers of the planet OR an aberrant destructive life form.
    History has shown we have chosen the latter.
    Our species is also more vulnerable to extinction. Radical changes of the earth's climate, natural or man made, will likely result in a catastrophic losses.
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 03-27-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Are you serious???

DeeDee1965

umdkook Guest

Are you serious???

DeeDee1965

absolutely not in any fashion whatsoever.

im surprised you even asked...

umdkook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster
    Your conclusion is based on a literal interpretation of the bible and has no basis in fact. A more realistic evaluation:
    We have the potential to be enlighten care takers of the planet OR an aberrant destructive life form.
    Our species is also more vulnerable to extinction. Radical changes of the earth's climate, natural or man made, will likely result in a catastrophic losses.
    a literal interpretation of the bible? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

I would NEVER speak my opinions based on teh bible, are you nuts???

ahah i see you have provided some great info "based on facts". ahha what a joke this response is.

umdkook Guest

humans, just like animals, are not here to "take care of the planet". we are here to live, and living takes resources. we would all like to make sure the planet is in good shape so our children and our childrens children and whatever can enjoy their time here on a decent planet.

but to say we are not the king of this world, not on the top of the food chain, not in control, is just plain silly. the entire animal world has attributes and abilities that suit their living needs. there is a reason a cheetah has a large chest with greater cardiovascular functions connecting his huge heart with his lung capacity. there is a reason a bulldog and a pitbull can lock their jaws and still breathe, unlike other dogs. there is a reason we are all built the way we are, and humans have the greatest mind by far of any living animal and will continue to own this world until some other lifeform not of this world comes here and takes it from us.

there is a reason only humans have evolved and granted the ability to THINK in a capacity that QUITE OBVIOSULY other animals do not have.

umdkook Guest

what do you mean by "more vulnerable to extinction"? care to show your "Factual interepretaion" that led you to this statement???

humans, just like animals, are not here to "take care of the planet". we are here to live, and living takes resources. we would all like to make sure the planet is in good shape so our children and our childrens children and whatever can enjoy their time here on a decent planet.

but to say we are not the king of this world, not on the top of the food chain, not in control, is just plain silly. the entire animal world has attributes and abilities that suit their living needs. there is a reason a cheetah has a large chest with greater cardiovascular functions connecting his huge heart with his lung capacity. there is a reason a bulldog and a pitbull can lock their jaws and still breathe, unlike other dogs. there is a reason we are all built the way we are, and humans have the greatest mind by far of any living animal and will continue to own this world until some other lifeform not of this world comes here and takes it from us.

there is a reason only humans have evolved and granted the ability to THINK in a capacity that QUITE OBVIOSULY other animals do not have.

The above is why America is seen around the world,as an ignorant, uneducated, misinformed, McDonalds eating, Coke drinking, Bible thumbing society.

Ask a question, get an idiotic reply.

For me, the "Shame" of the writer in the opening post, is not just shame about a corrupt, inhumane, greedy, government, bent on imperialism; it is also for the sheer magnitude of self-imposed, and perpetual ignorance of the citizens in this country.

If one does a little research, "away from the Internet". *Reads* an encyclopedia, or three; National Geographic' Scientific American; or any journals on science, anthropology, archeology; one will get a sense of the dangerous toll the Homo Sapiens has done to the planet.

Am I going to do your work for you, NO!! Look it up, in a BOOK..

George Bush, and all his minions, are the symptoms of a serious infection in this country. The disease, is wanton ignorance, and delusions of grandeur, exhibited in the American Citizen.

Read this again, Umdkook:

...I am ashamed of my fellow Americans. Ashamed that they haven't flooded the streets. Ashamed they care more about Brangelina than the Bill of Rights. Ashamed that they're seemingly ok with the subtle but steady transformation from democracy to dictatorship. Ashamed that they are so gullible.

DeeDee1965

what do you mean by "more vulnerable to extinction"? care to show your "Factual interepretaion" that led you to this statement???
    There is one. I’m not qualified to present the case that well but I’ll wing it.
    The first I heard of this event was a PBS special on the topic of known volcanic eruptions in earth’s history. According to the show the event below lead to many extinctions. Humans narrowly escaped being wiped out. With in a hundred years after this eruption they estimated that the human population was reduced to 70,000-100,000 individuals.

75,000 B.C.

The world is in a warm period. Global Warming?

Toba, Sumatra, Indonesia is the location of the largest eruption in know history of the world. Eruptions occurred in 840,000 B.C., 700,000 B.C. and 75,000 B.C. The 75,000 eruption ejected 2,800 Km3. The next closest was Yellowstone in 2.2 million B.C. that ejected 2,500 Km3

http://www.agt.net/public/dgarneau/euro2.htm

umdkook Guest

There is one. I’m not qualified to present the case that well but I’ll wing it.
    The first I heard of this event was a PBS special on the topic of known volcanic eruptions in earth’s history. According to the show the event below lead to many extinctions. Humans narrowly escaped being wiped out. With in a hundred years after this eruption they estimated that the human population was reduced to 70,000-100,000 individuals.

75,000 B.C.

The world is in a warm period. Global Warming?

Toba, Sumatra, Indonesia is the location of the largest eruption in know history of the world. Eruptions occurred in 840,000 B.C., 700,000 B.C. and 75,000 B.C. The 75,000 eruption ejected 2,800 Km3. The next closest was Yellowstone in 2.2 million B.C. that ejected 2,500 Km3

http://www.agt.net/public/dgarneau/euro2.htm

VERY INTERESTING, BUT GUESS WHAT???? WERE STILL HERE.....

so really all you have proved is that while seemingly humans SHOULD be extinct by now given all these dangerous eruptions and everything, WE ARENT.

what does that tell you??

umdkook Guest

The above is why America is seen around the world,as an ignorant, uneducated, misinformed, McDonalds eating, Coke drinking, Bible thumbing society.

Ask a question, get an idiotic reply.

For me, the "Shame" of the writer in the opening post, is not just shame about a corrupt, inhumane, greedy, government, bent on imperialism; it is also for the sheer magnitude of self-imposed, and perpetual ignorance of the citizens in this country.

If one does a little research, "away from the Internet". *Reads* an encyclopedia, or three; National Geographic' Scientific American; or any journals on science, anthropology, archeology; one will get a sense of the dangerous toll the Homo Sapiens has done to the planet.

Am I going to do your work for you, NO!! Look it up, in a BOOK..

George Bush, and all his minions, are the symptoms of a serious infection in this country. The disease, is wanton ignorance, and delusions of grandeur, exhibited in the American Citizen.

Read this again, Umdkook:

...I am ashamed of my fellow Americans. Ashamed that they haven't flooded the streets. Ashamed they care more about Brangelina than the Bill of Rights. Ashamed that they're seemingly ok with the subtle but steady transformation from democracy to dictatorship. Ashamed that they are so gullible.

DeeDee1965
    deedee, dont mix around threads ok. you know damn well i was answering the person who said we are a cancer to this earth (hence why i qouted them) and was not referring to the intial post about Bush (which somehow you eqaute with being a shameful existance on this earth)).

dont be such a pessismist who hugs a tree cuase it might no be there tom. we are the kings, the earth is here for our sustanance, all animals are below us. that is just how it is. if it were not so, well, it simply just wouldnt be so and we wouldnt be talking on a man-made internet like we were next door but really from god knows where in the world.

dont confuse what im saying with the idea that we can drop nuclear waste anywhere we want, kill all the elephants in the world for ivory, and drain all the oil for our cars.....we CAN no doubt about that, but to say we are a cancer, i mean...cmon this isnt the matrix. this is life. in life you use resources, and you live close to those resources or you build something to bring those resources to you.

we are king!!!!!