+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just Curious...

Re: Just Curious...

melamom - I'm not trying to rain on your parade. My question was sincere. A cruise would be lovely and I'm truly sorry to hear you were unable to make the trip. I'd love to hear the "landlord leasing blues" - followed by the "I got me a nicer stove" song. It was the inference that got my goat -queeneev simply came across as callous. Would the offer of guitar lessons be out of line?
    I've played for many years (quitar, that is). Go for it - play those guitars - music makes everyone happier. I'll dig mine out tonight - play some old songs - and tomorrow we can all have a pleasant exchange.

Are you self taught, or did you take lessons? It sure isn't as easy as people make it look! My grandfather was a great guitar player (he passed away really young, before my time)-used to play Johnny Cash like you wouldn't believe. I've always wanted to learn, so decided to take the plunge and get one! I just hope I can play when it comes down to it-I have big shoes to fill. Ha Ha- I got me a nicer stove...too funny!

Melamom - My entire family play instruments and sing. My Dad had a country band in the 50's. My eldest son has a rock band, now. Lessons are only as good as the teacher - if you don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling for the teacher - kick them to the curb and find another. Buy yourself a basic chord book and another one with songs you know (top 10 of 1999 - for example- $30 max.). Embrace Brendakc's thought and "Sing and Play" like no ones watching. If you have kids - seize the opportunity to share and take lessons together. Added bonus - you'll be a very cool mom - as long as you don't sing when their friends are around. (and yes, I do speak from experience). Don't be discouraged - the first week your fingers will be sore and even the dog will critique your efforts. Nail down the chords to just one song and you have the chords to 100 more (thousands if it's country music :)). Have fun - I know you'll enjoy it.

Thanks Linda...I know, my girls love the guitar, but my oldest always gets real hostile whenever I sing-she always tells me to stop! Guess I'll leave the vocals to somebody else. ;) Thanks for the advice...I bought the book Guitar for Dummies, but only got so far before I was lost :rolleyes: that's why I figured I'm a more hands on person, and need somebody to show me instead of learning by a book. I'm hoping I'm a more visual person and learn better by somebody showing me. I've never played a musical instrument before, so I guess I'll find out. Happy Playing!

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    - the first week your fingers will be sore and even the dog will critique your efforts. Nail down the chords to just one song and you have the chords to 100 more (thousands if it's country music

too true! That's as far as I got, majorly sore finger tips. And maybe the makings of one song, Eagles Take It Easy. What a joke I am! You have to have a sense of humor to sit in the same room while I strum...and it is the looooongest version of Take It Easy I've yet to hear (takes so long to change fingering...) but hey, dreams take time :D

Does anyone worry that all these internet based sources of income will dry up if/when the economy tanks and we go into recession/depression? I've had endless discussions about this with spouse, about how to maintain a source of income in a really down world. WHAT IF. What if gas goes to $4 a gallon, and winter heating is astronomical, and milk is $6 gallon, and supermarket shelves go bare, and companies start seriously downsizing or shutting down, and it costs too much to ship products? What if we basically start growing food again, collecting rainwater, and milking goats, then "home-based jobs" takes on a whole new meaning! It would mean making soap or growing spices, or fish farming, or knowing how to repair bicycles could be a plus.

Just a crazy sidebar notion to think about. Wonder how that would affect "renting". :eek:

wendylf Guest

I know of one home based business and a work from home job that doesnt cost anything and u get paid. You ever heard of West at Home or Cajun Country Candies