+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Curious...

Just Curious...

I am always interested in looking at different home business opportunities, because I am by nature curious. I have one home business, which I enjoy...but would like to know what folks believe is the best home business out there. There is so much information out there, it's like info overload! Who do you believe, and who DON'T you. Every company say it's the bomb, which one is actually good? I know some on this board would say none, but I'm seriously interested to know. :cool:

Re: Just Curious...

The best home based business is yourself. Bookkeeping, dayhome operator, music teacher, computer consulting, anything you can do yourself. You are the boss. No one gets a "cut" of your money. You don't need to recruit or buy anything or meet someone else's requirements. You are the product. No one else has their hand in your pocket.

I agree that "yourself" is a good business as I once fixed peoples computers for them and made some money. But what I do now online is so much easier. Even though someone gets a "cut" I make sales while I sleep, eat, watch tv, which is something I could never do before.

I am apart of the National Companies It has been great. Not really an online business but if you would like to learn more jst shoot me a message a truely life changing business!!

May your Good be better and your better be Blest!

Wow - you have the answer you seek melamom. Everybody has a WAH bus that's great!

epsdirect Guest

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    The best home based business is yourself. Bookkeeping, dayhome operator, music teacher, computer consulting, anything you can do yourself. You are the boss. No one gets a "cut" of your money. You don't need to recruit or buy anything or meet someone else's requirements. You are the product. No one else has their hand in your pocket.
    I agree linda49, to a degree. The problem is that the moment you stop, your income stops. You need to build a residual income. I dont care if it in real estate or the such, but if you fail to build a residual income, it WILL catch up with you when you are no longer able to work.

Isn't that the nature of being "self-employed"? Real Estate is a bad example - realtors are "commision only" and they pay licence fees and dues to an agency regardless of what they sell. They pay their own expenses. It's not a "home-based business". You can have realtor's licence but you can't do business with it. You need to be affiliated with an agency. All in all, it's not such a good opportunity.

Very good point about "no longer able to work". I agree, self employment comes with that inevitability. I'm sailing that boat right now. "Residual income" - interesting term.....you mean money that you do nothing to earn - the banks call it interest or dividends. Banks and corporations must disclose their financial records.
    Giving your money to some "shmow" who claims to guarantee a better return than any bank is not a wise choice.
    I may be wrong - and I'm sure I'll be corrected - but I believe Melamom was referring to a "second income" home business. Primary income and retirement income is beyond the scope of this thread.

Before you all trash me - I'm a single (not by choice-widowed) mom (of three) running my own manufacturing business (not at home) and income of any kind is near and dear to my heart - so be nice.....................

I won't bash you Linda.. I personally thought the remark was a little odd "once you quit so does your income" Isn't that true whether you work from your home or outside your home? Build your business.. put something away for your retirement and PLAN for the future..

epsdirect Guest

Isn't that the nature of being "self-employed"? Real Estate is a bad example - realtors are "commision only" and they pay licence fees and dues to an agency regardless of what they sell. They pay their own expenses. It's not a "home-based business". You can have realtor's licence but you can't do business with it. You need to be affiliated with an agency. All in all, it's not such a good opportunity.

Very good point about "no longer able to work". I agree, self employment comes with that inevitability. I'm sailing that boat right now. "Residual income" - interesting term.....you mean money that you do nothing to earn - the banks call it interest or dividends. Banks and corporations must disclose their financial records.
    Giving your money to some "shmow" who claims to guarantee a better return than any bank is not a wise choice.
    I may be wrong - and I'm sure I'll be corrected - but I believe Melamom was referring to a "second income" home business. Primary income and retirement income is beyond the scope of this thread.

Before you all trash me - I'm a single (not by choice-widowed) mom (of three) running my own manufacturing business (not at home) and income of any kind is near and dear to my heart - so be nice.....................
    I am not taking about becoming a real estate broker, as I said she could be "in real estate". I am referring to owning property. I own 15 properties in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have 45 tenants and have a positive "residual" income after all of my expenses are paid.

It's kind that you are stating that you don't want to be "trashed". Should of felt the same way before you trashed Mrs. Hunt. LOL

university, huh.....spelling....punctuation.....grammer..... psychology, huh.......okay.....

epsdirect Guest

Quote Originally Posted by katiescorner
    I won't bash you Linda.. I personally thought the remark was a little odd "once you quit so does your income" Isn't that true whether you work from your home or outside your home? Build your business.. put something away for your retirement and PLAN for the future..
    Not exactly. There is ALWAYS a legal way to have your money work for you to produce income.

Thank you everybody for your input. I know being self employed has its benefits, but anybody who has ever been in business for themselves and by themselves will tell you that it's like being married to your business. It involves 16 hour days, never having time off, inventory, and working morning till you drop. It's like having a J.O.B which I want out of. I have been self employed with my own business, and am searching for some opinions as to what the best home based business is out there, because like you said, everybody thinks theirs is the best, and it's hard to weed out which are good, which are not. I'll have to tell you, I do agree that residual income is the way to go. It's the best retirement option people have I believe in this day and age. I'm only 34, and my Melaleuca business is my retirement. In the past, I have had some issues where I could not work my business, and yet, there was my old reliable paycheque in my mailbox despite not working my business that month. A person can slam that all they want, but I'll tell you what...it was a godsend to have that extra income at a very difficult time. My paycheque didn't go down at all that month, despite not working my business. In fact, my paycheques have always increased whether I work my business or not. I want to have a second "retirement plan" if you will. I'm at home full time, bored and want a second business to "dabble" in. I love Melaleuca...I will be doing Melaleuca forever and ever, but I am a mind that needs to be busy, busy and have interests in many different areas. I really appreciate all of the input, and it's great to see all of the different home based businesses. I will definitely look into them all. I have been looking into Robert Allen's Real Estate biz, but it's quite costly. I was quite impressed by it, but am open to looking into others as well. I know it costs money to make money...Cheers!

Melamom, I hear you (about being bored and curious and always seeking more opportunity...).

You said:
    I have been looking into Robert Allen's Real Estate biz, but it's quite costly. I was quite impressed by it, but am open to looking into others as well. I know it costs money to make money.
    I did this maaaany years ago (1985?) and it was nothing of value. I spent about $300 back then, when I could least afford it. Basically it was a bunch of printed material that I would call "hand holding", in the field of real estate ivestment. You can learn the same concepts by buying a single book (or check it out at the library). I didn't actually invest in my first property until 1998, but I am glad that I did. There was a huge amount of fear (about signing that mortgage, all by my lonesome, as I am single mom too), but it got easier and easier with each passing month and I saw that the rent checks DO arrive, and the property DOES appreciate (not as fast as the gurus would have you believe, at least in my area), and after 7 years I have a nice chunk of equity.

You did not indicate if you are interested in landlording, or re-selling. I buy and landlord. Warning: sometimes it can suck the life out of you when you have a vacant unit that needs 80 hours of manwork. I have a day job, and end up taking a week of vacation at least once a year due to a vacancy that needs floors stripped, windows caulked, rooms painted, bushes trimmed, etc.

Note: I own 5 units, and I could not physically handle a 6th one without hiring a management company to help me. If you are single and have no partner to help you, I wouldn't try to own more than 2 units at first. See how it goes after 1 year, and add more if it feels right. Also, be sure to have enough cash for costly items that WILL pop up now and then (new furnace, roof, etc.).

Sorry to go off topic. I just have a lot to say about landlording. It IS a great seceond income. Nothing scammy about it at all. It just takes time, patience, and sweat.

Thank you so much for the information...you are very ambitious, and sound quite successful at what you do. My dad used to have a rental, and I know the amount of blood, sweat and tears that go into it. I would like to have a rental or two, and then buy, fix up and sell for a profit. Thank you for the info about the Robert Allen institute. I recently went to a free seminar about it when they came through town. I do agree with you about the course hand holding you through, but it seems like they have quite a good support system in place.

Thank you for the info...it's always great to hear from somebody successful that did what they set out to do against the odds and are a success! It isn't an easy venture, and you have alot of courage...it's not easy trying something new by yourself. I really believe fear is what sets the successful entrepreneurs apart from the rest. Cheers!

epsdirect - take your problem to the mods - you are messing up a thread, again. No one cares for your habit of taking statements out of context and posting "quotes" onto this and other threads. The statements were not made here or in reference to this topic. Get a life...........and allow the people, with something constructive to say, the oportunity to do so.

Melamom, you want to know what my support network was? A book called Landlording for Dummies. I kid you not. It has really practical insight, like when you converse with a tenant, never let them know that you have enough money to cover the mortgage. I have plenty of cash these days (approaching an early retirement from the day job), but I never let on. I dress in my "home improvment" attire when I visit. They will never see me dressed for a date, never see me in a new car, etc. And it works. I just had to put in a new stove, and negotiated with the tenant, who wanted a "nice" one. I told him I only had $500 and if he wanted a nicer model, then he could pay the difference. And he did. I got me a nicer stove! :)

Start poking around inyour area. Try a foreclosure website, like this one (never pay for foreclosure info though...) Can I post this link?

http://ushud.com/dyn//i/ushud/h/ushud/US/search.html

You'll get the real estate bug once you start looking at actual properties. And it's a fun hobby just to do drive bys and walkthroughs and play with numbers.

I can't believe you have posted how you ripped off a tenant. Unbelievable...........