***Your URL may break onto additional lines. Be sure to copy and paste
    all lines into the address line of your web browser. (Your link should
    end with your complete email address.)***

Please be advised that we are required by law to notify the IRS
    regarding your gift. You will be required to submit a W9 form to us as
    part of the gift fulfillment process regardless of the value of the
    gift
    award. Please complete and sign your W9 form and return it to us as
    soon as possible so we can fulfill your gift within 6 to 8 weeks.
    Refer
    to www.irs.gov for any questions you have on the W9 requirements.

Thank you,

Constance

So how much will be the tax ??? and when shld we submit the w9 form and where can we get that form ??

Re: YF Direct needs Taxes now

Did they attach the W-9 form? If not, it should be available on irs.gov. How much you pay next year for taxes will depend on the tax bracket you fall in.

Is it safe to give these people (YF direct) our SSN and all other detail ???

Yikes, I'm a little leary of giving my social security number. These freebie companies sold my email address to spammers, I hope they don't sell my social security number too! :(

Quote Originally Posted by scams4u
    Is it safe to give these people (YF direct) our SSN and all other detail ???
    I would think so. I'm not sure if YF Direct does it or not, but MetaReward and Nuitech both supposedly shred the information when they are done with it. I submitted my info to both and haven't had a problem.

Tending to believe that all these companies will do the right thing with my ss is not a good idea. I'll say, keep an eye on your credit report and get tools that let you know when someone inquires your credit. You never know!

I actually got that same email and no, they haven't attached the w9 form in the redemption email from Constance. Here is the link for that from the irs.gov website:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

Fill it out and send it with your certificates (atleast thats what i did!)

Hope they don't take out too much off my taxes...hope i'm exempt!!

YF never used to ask for this info... W9 is only required for gifts exceeding the value of $600.00 USD, BUT nowadays YF needs it for all gifts regardless of its value...seems a bit fishy to me, but i'll go ahead and send my w9 with the certs tomorrow morning because they won't send me my lcd tv if i don't include a w9....yeah

I don't think they should require social security #'s for the gifts under $600. This is too risky for me. If law requires the SS for gifts over $600 that's fine, I can understand, but YF wanting SS's for the smaller stuff just for their own edification, I don't agree with that. It's starts feeling too risky/fishy to me. It's scary giving out personal info anyway. It's a stretch to even give out personal info to all the company's involved with this because they are probably selling all our personal info too. I really am not comfortable with all of that, and the fact that YF has been getting so unreasonable with their giftsites makes me just NOT want to get involved with the whole scene.
    I think they need to tighten their parameters up for sure, to protect themselves, their advertisers etc., but they shouldn't bite the hands that feed them or they are gonna end up going hungry in the end.

It's not just for their own edification. You are required to report the income regardless of the amount. The$600 threshold only applied when Metareward was trying to treat the money as non-employee compensation. Since it's not, it's prize money, the $600 restriction doesn't apply.

Well why isn't NIU tech and others requiring w-9's for their small offers? It seems from what I have read and heard that it is only YF that is requiring this. What do you mean about the Metarewards and the non employee compensation, has something changed with them?

I could be wrong because I know next to nothing about taxes but maybe they require W9's for under $600 because so many people are doing many of their sites and if one person does 5 of their sites each for $500 gifts, that equals $2500 worth of gifts you have received from them.

Just a thought. ;)

If the items you are getting is an actual Item, TV, DVD Recorder, Plasma TV, etc. then there is no Income Tax on an Item. THERE IS Use/Sales Tax on the item for your Local State or City.

If you receive Cash, or Check then yes it maybe considered Income and therefore Taxable.

Gift Cards are not taxable Income, but the Items you buy you will pay the appropriate Sales/Use Taxes on the Purchase of an item(s).

Quote Originally Posted by jaimedara
    I don't think they should require social security #'s for the gifts under $600. This is too risky for me. If law requires the SS for gifts over $600 that's fine, I can understand, but YF wanting SS's for the smaller stuff just for their own edification, I don't agree with that. It's starts feeling too risky/fishy to me. It's scary giving out personal info anyway. It's a stretch to even give out personal info to all the company's involved with this because they are probably selling all our personal info too. I really am not comfortable with all of that, and the fact that YF has been getting so unreasonable with their giftsites makes me just NOT want to get involved with the whole scene.
    I think they need to tighten their parameters up for sure, to protect themselves, their advertisers etc., but they shouldn't bite the hands that feed them or they are gonna end up going hungry in the end.
    The fact is when you work a job, they don't pay you yearly, they pay you weekly or bi-weekly... not all at once... and you still pay taxes. If you get multiple gifts from the same parent company that eventually add up to more than $600 then you have to pay taxes... You also pay taxes on prizes... or anything you get for free... Quite being unamerican and avoiding taxes... George Bush has a war to fund and many nations that hate us to send aid too! DO YOUR PART AND QUIT WHINING ABOUT IT.
    Deth is always approaching, live while you can...

I'm not whining Dethlok, I am wondering if it is worth doing the offers once you factor taxes in. And I was also wondering if the reason they need w-9's on the small stuff is due to the fact that they add everything up in case it reaches $600. I did a metareward sight that was under $600 and wasn't asked for a w-9. I also did Consumerincentive promotions ($500) and getspecialgifts ($75) and they didn't ask for a w-9 so I just don't understand why YFDirect is asking for w-9's on the smaller gifts. I'm not afraid of paying taxes, I just don't want to throw my social security number around when it isn't required by law. The way I understand it, only gifts $600 and over require the w-9 so it doesn't make sense to me why we should have to provide it for the small stuff. Everyone needs to do the math and see if it is even worth doing these gift sites once you factor in the taxes. I mean, the requirements have gone way up and are expensive and super hard to even do, so it looks like it would be more of a break-even than a profit. I don't know if the headache and the agony of signing up and taking care to make sure you aren't signing your life away with each offer is worth it for me. But whatever floats your boat.

Well why isn't NIU tech and others requiring w-9's for their small offers? It seems from what I have read and heard that it is only YF that is requiring this. What do you mean about the Metarewards and the non employee compensation, has something changed with them?
    They may be now. I qualified for Consumer Incentive Promotion's trip for 2 to Orlando (retail value of $490) & I had to submit W9 with the redemption.

The way I understand it, only gifts $600 and over require the w-9 so it doesn't make sense to me why we should have to provide it for the small stuff.
    The key here is "$600+ requires a W-9". That is the minimum Uncle Sam sets. There isn't any law or IRS reg that says a company cannot require a W-9 for amounts smaller than $600. YF may have gotten new tax advice or a visit from the IRS asking where all the money they said they spent on gifts has really gone. Maybe they want to slow down the number of double-dippers by making them aware that the "free money" days are gone at YF.