+ Reply to Thread

Truely free XBOX 360? + $5!

I'm posting this thread in the "Internet Scams" forums, I'm not spamming. Mods let me know if this is allowed. This isn't one of those "spam and get free xbox 360" topic.

Okay, I've done my research and recently came across this website called . With you can send and receive money with cell phones. It's like PayPal, except the money is transferred through phones. Right now it's in beta, and all accounts are free. Furthermore, it's giving you $5 free for signing up! You can opt to choose check (free shipping) or transfer it to your bank account. Currently they have a promotion going on, get 36 referrals and they'll give you a free XBOX 360. This promotion will end on March 18th. I've got 13 referrals so far, and I'm trying to get more. This should be easy since the service and signing up is COMPLETELY FREE. NO THIS IS A LEGIT WEBSITE, and IT's MENTIONED ON WIRED.

My friend tried it and received his XBOX 360, look below for proof pics:

Click to go to TextPayMe. :)

Need tips on getting referrals? Tell friends, make a blog, advertise. Good luck!

Also, below is an article by WIRED.COM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    When a group of people dine out together, someone always lacks cash. They forgot to go to the ATM, but they'll pay you back ASAP. Right.

Funny, though, how people rarely forget their cell phones. Philip Yuen put these two observations together and came up with TextPayMe to let people send money using text messaging.

TextPayMe seems like a logical second act for PayPal, but Yuen sees the services as complimentary.

"We just want to take over the world in all face-to-face transactions," he said.

TextPayMe doesn't have much competition in the United States so far, but PayPal may be hot on its heels. Ironically, PayPal began as a service for beaming money between PDAs. While people can now use PayPal through web-enabled cell phones, the company doesn't have an SMS function.

But a recent Craigslist job posting for a business manager for "PayPal Mobile," described as "a dynamic, young 'start-up' business unit within PayPal dedicated to bringing value-added mobile payment services to consumers and merchants," has launched rumors that such an offering may be forthcoming.

"We haven't made any announcements in the mobile payments world," the PayPal spokesperson said.

Yuen, a former Microsoft program manager, teamed up with his Lockheed systems analyst brother, Gerald, and another Microsoft employee, CJ Huang, to get TextPayMe rolling. The trio secured funding from startup seed company Y Combinator and launched the TextPayMe beta in mid-December.

TextPayMe works much like PayPal -- users create an online account and link it to a credit card or bank account. They can use SMS to send up to $500 a month. The service is now free, but the company might eventually charge fees for certain transactions, Yuen said. Beta adopters might have permanent free use, he said.

Combining text messaging and payment sounds like a pretty good idea when you consider 203 million people in the United States use cell phones, according to the CTIA, and 96 million people use PayPal.

Russ Jones, a payment industry consultant with Glenbrook Partners, said the move toward using cell phones for payment is inevitable.

He noticed, however, that TextPayMe's user agreement explicitly gives the company permission to pull users' credit report. That might scare some people away, and it's a deterrent TextPayMe doesn't need with PayPal potentially nipping at its heels. So far, about 900 people are signed up and about a third have completed transactions, according to Yuen.

Mark Toews, a technical recruiter in Seattle, said he signed up for TextPayMe about a month ago, but only used it once because his friends won't sign up. They're not willing to give up bank information to a new company. Toews hopes TextPayMe will become more popular.

"I think it's a great service," he said, "it just needs more time to mature and more people to get signed up with it before it will really blossom."
    Last edited by scambuster; 03-12-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Re: Truely free XBOX 360? + $5!

Members, please don't flame me. I'm going to PM the Mods/Admins and ask if this type of topic is allowed. I'll edit it if it isn't. :)

I know exactly who these pictures belong to because he posted them on another forum (the actual person who got the xbox), do you have permission from him to use the pix?

Looks like a great idea, too bad it's got the referral element to it. That makes it stink like a scam or mlm, but I think it's a wonderful idea.
    BTW, Accordion...NO REFERRAL LINKS.

Plus, I'm over 11 years old, so the Xbox means nothing to me.

I couldn't find the story at wired.com, so suddenly I don't trust you.
    Can you provide a link?

Hey scambuster...I typed the first line into google....
    "When a group of people dine out together, someone always lacks cash. They forgot to go to the ATM, but they'll pay you back ASAP. Right."

Wired.com article here:
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70199-0.html

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    Plus, I'm over 11 years old, so the Xbox means nothing to me.
    This is an idiotic statement of biblical proportions.

The Truth

The video game industry outsold the hollywood box office in the United States last year. I don't think 11 year olds could do that.

And I'm not even a game player -- just a bullsh*t pointer outer.
    I like stuff.

More Proof, Look at the video on Chris Pirillo's page:

http://chris.pirillo.com/

He got 5 of them hand delievered to him from textpayme

Amen, Mr. Bullsh#t pointer outer!!! Video games are going to out sell Hollywood for a long long long time to come!!!! And the average gamer age keeps going up and up.
    Awaiting Shipment on..
    XBOX 360 (4/4)

"Kick back a cold one for me!"

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyJay
    And the average gamer age keeps going up and up.
    as does the Geek Factor. Lol