+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

DeeDee1965 is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

Gallup More Than Half Of Americans Reject Evolution, Back Bible.

Hello People,

While I talk about and believe in asking the question, "What's so funny about Peace, Love and Understanding?" I do become discouraged. I need the help of Batarang, Lady Mod, Yirmeyahu, PSB, and the others here, who still believe that helping our fellow Americans, will do some good.

Now somebody tell me again, why I should NOT move to Canada??

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I write this plea, in response to following article:

Gallup: More Than Half of Americans Reject Evolution, Back Bible

By E&P Staff Published: March 08, 2006 10:15 AM ET

NEW YORK A Gallup report released today reveals that more than half of all Americans, rejecting evolution theory and scientific evidence, agree with the statement, "God created man exactly how Bible describes it."

Another 31% says that man did evolve, but "God guided." Only 12% back evolution and say "God had no part."

Gallup summarized it this way: "Surveys repeatedly show that a substantial portion of Americans do not believe that the theory of evolution best explains where life came from." They are "not so quick to agree with the preponderance of scientific evidence."

The report was written by the director of the The Gallup Poll, Frank Newport.

Breaking down the numbers, Gallup finds that Republican backing for what it calls "God created human beings in present form" stands at 57% with Democrats at 44%.

Support for this Bible view rises steadily with age: from 43% for those 18 to 29, to 59% for those 65 and older. It declines steadily with education, dropping from 58% for those with high school degrees to a still-substantial 25% with postgraduate degrees.

Newport wraps it up: "Several characteristics correlate with belief in the biblical explanation for the origin of humans. Those with lower levels of education, those who attend church regularly, those who are 65 and older, and those who identify with the Republican Party are more likely to believe that God created humans 'as is,' than are those who do not share these characteristics."

Gallup has asked this question, in different forms, going back to 1982, but has consistently shown support at 45% or higher for the notion that "God created man in present form."

The most recent poll, last September, posed the question this way: "Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin and development of human beings." This produced the 53% who chose "God created man exactly how Bible describes it," the 31% who said man did evolve but "God guided," and the 12% who backed evolution with God playing "no part."

© 2006 VNU eMedia Inc. All rights reserved.

See Link

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Re: Gallup More Than Half Of Americans Reject Evolution, Back Bible.

Maybe I'm just tired but I don't see how this article and Canada connect? I've actually played with the thought of moving to Canada, I have many Canadian friends. LOL, but I would want to move my children, grandchildren and sister and her husband there too. That is a monumental undertaking.

Lady Mod

DeeDee,
    The poll shows that most Americans are stupid. No surprise, look who we got as a President. He was elected by the stupidest people on earth. Look at the IQ Stats for the Red States [IQ 100 or below] compared to the Blue States, most are well over 100.
    Also.
    Iím trying to find a good stat on this but I would guess that the % of adults with a BA/BS [4 YR DEGREE] that have Science Degrees is about 25% of all degrees awarded. Those in the life sciences, bio/ med and related degrees would be only part of that number.
    This would mean that if Ĺ the adult pop has a degree about 12.5% represents the percent that have understanding of scientific method.
    I studied Chem. in college. In my school this curriculum had the least # of students.
    The poll doesnít mean a whole lot to me.
    But it is pretty scary at first glance; It appears to support the contention [flogged by ID evangelists] that the validity of scienctific discoveries and advances should be decided by popular vote of some kind. And by extension of that premise we should only teach science that can be validated by popular vote. Let's hope this doesn't happen.
    Conclusion: I won't pack up a leave for Canada based on this dumb poll. LOL
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 03-10-2006 at 11:50 PM.

umdkook Guest

well more than half the registered voters in the country voted for Bush, and they represent teh majority of the Christian Moralists. No surprise here.

phinny is right, this poll just shows that Americans are just plain stupid.

LOL, IQ's of 100 are average intelligence. When I had mine tested and scored 124 I thought I must be average until I was told otherwise. I had never given it much thought before I tested.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    LOL, IQ's of 100 are average intelligence. When I had mine tested and scored 124 I thought I must be average until I was told otherwise. I had never given it much thought before I tested.
    A side bar:
    Intelligence is measured in different ways today than in the past. The old IQ test still has value as an indicator. There are exceptions. A small percentage of low scorers on these test are reading/learning disabled. When these students are given more time to complete IQ test they can score significantly higher. I had a study project with one such student. Her verbal skills and reading skills were well below average. When different testing methods were used however she scored well above average.

DeeDee1965 is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster
    DeeDee,
    The poll shows that most Americans are stupid. No surprise, look who we got as a President. He was elected by the stupidest people on earth. Look at the IQ Stats for the Red States [IQ 100 or below] compared to the Blue States, most are well over 100.
    Hi PSB,

When Bush won again, I was going to pack my bags for Canada, then. ;) LOL

Later, I realized to leave this country to the likes of, the crazy NON-Christian, NON-Conservative "Junta" was a really bad idea. I have always had faith the People. However, after reading this article, my faith in the common sense of the People, has been shaken.

If the People do not understand basic science, how will they understand how and why; warrantless wiretapping, the Patriot Act, the fake "War on Terrorism," the War in Iraq, and the pending war in Iran, etc., are going to effect their lives?

I know that majority of Americans have average, or sub-par intelligence, but to believe, "God created man exactly how Bible describes it," causes me to want to live anywhere else, but here. My "Slouching Toward Kristallnacht" thread, looks like it might come to pass, and I do not want to be in a country filled with "Good Americans (read Germans)."

I just get sick and tired of the BS. The people in this country might be un-intelligent, but one should be able to rely on, self-preservation, and common sense. Or maybe I am just being a Pollyannna. Time will tell. :p

DeeDee1965

The entire ID, Anti-choice, evangelical lunacy is driven by a coalition of different Orgs. This seems to be the key org behind a lot of the nonsense. They are a NON-Christian, NON-Conservative "Junta", as you put it. They pretend to be Christian and conservative but in reality they are fascists.

ďThe Council for National Policy"

A little internet digging (mostly facilitated by a post from February 2005 right here on Daily Kos, "Sith Lords of the Ultra-Right" brought out a lot about "The Council for National Policy".
    The CNP was founded in 1981 as an umbrella organization of right-wing leaders who would gather regularly to plot strategy, share ideas and fund causes and candidates to advance the far-right agenda. Twenty-five years later, it is still secretly pursuing those goals with amazing success.
    Since its founding, the tax-exempt organization has been meeting three times a year. Members have come and gone, but all share something in common: They are powerful figures, drawn from both the Religious Right and the anti-government, anti-tax wing of the ultra-conservative movement.
    It may sound like a far-left conspiracy theory, but the CNP is all too real and, its critics would argue, all too influential.
    CNP's first president was Tim LaHaye famed millenialist preacher and writer of the Left Behind series of popular books about the "end-times" and the Second Coming of Christ. LaHaye,like the whole of the nation's Religious Right leaders, nurtured a strong contempt for the First Amendment principle of church-state separation, because it seriously complicates their goal of installing fundamentalist Christianity as the nation's officially recognized religion.
    Many members of the CNP are part of the Christian Reconstructionist movement. Reconstructionists espouse a radical theology that calls for trashing the U.S. Constitution and replacing it with the harsh legal code of the Old Testament. They advocate the death penalty for adulterers, blasphemers, incorrigible teenagers, gay people, "witches" and those who worship "false gods."
    A list of former and past members reads like a who's who of conservative Christian Right activists, anti-tax and anti-government activists, billionaire right wing philanthropists and GOP office holders, past and present.
    And what was the ultimate goals of this organization? Well, they stated them pretty clearly early on . . .
    From the beginning, the CNP sought to merge two strains of far-right thought: the theocratic Religious Right with the low-tax, anti-government wing of the GOP. The theory was that the Religious Right would provide the grassroots activism and the muscle. The other faction would put up the money.
    Bringing together the two strains of the far right gave the CNP enormous leverage. The group, for example, could pick a candidate for public office and ply him or her with individual donations and PAC money from its well-endowed, business wing.
    The goals of the CNP, then, are similarly two-pronged. Activists like Grover Norquist, who once said he wanted to shrink the federal government to a size where it could be drowned in a bathtub, are drawn to the group for its exaltation of unfettered capitalism, hostility toward social-service spending and low (or no) tax ideology.
    Dramatically scaling back the size of the federal government and abolishing the last remnants of the New Deal may be one goal of the CNP, but many of the foot soldiers of the Religious Right sign on for a different crusade: a desire to remake America in a Christian fundamentalist image.

From Daily Kos cont. at site
    http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/3/8/2250/63002
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 03-11-2006 at 02:52 AM.

A side bar:
    Intelligence is measured in different ways today than in the past. The old IQ test still has value as an indicator. There are exceptions. A small percentage of low scorers on these test are reading/learning disabled. When these students are given more time to complete IQ test they can score significantly higher. I had a study project with one such student. Her verbal skills and reading skills were well below average. When different testing methods were used however she scored well above average.
    Are you saying that years ago as a child when I was tested I was brilliant and a few years ago when I was tested I was really only above average? LOL.

Hey, I'll take above average over brain dead and dumb any day.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Are you saying that years ago as a child when I was tested I was brilliant and a few years ago when I was tested I was really only above average? LOL.

Hey, I'll take above average over brain dead and dumb any day.

Lady Mod
    If you can type 100wpm your probably smarter than I am. LOL
    I only posted about IQ testing because it is healthy to be a little skeptical about these numbers.

If you can type 100wpm your probably smarter than I am. LOL
    I only posted about IQ testing because it is healthy to be a little skeptical about these numbers.
    Oh, I type faster than that (when the hand isn't broken).

I don't take the IQ score seriously. I already knew I was smart. And even a genius is not a genius in everything.

;)

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Hello People,
    ....Gallup summarized it this way: "Surveys repeatedly show that a substantial portion of Americans do not believe that the theory of evolution best explains where life came from." They are "not so quick to agree with the preponderance of scientific evidence."

The report was written by the director of the The Gallup Poll, Frank Newport.

Breaking down the numbers, Gallup finds that Republican backing for what it calls "God created human beings in present form" stands at 57% with Democrats at 44%.

Support for this Bible view rises steadily with age: from 43% for those 18 to 29, to 59% for those 65 and older. It declines steadily with education, dropping from 58% for those with high school degrees to a still-substantial 25% with postgraduate degrees.

Newport wraps it up: "Several characteristics correlate with belief in the biblical explanation for the origin of humans. Those with lower levels of education, those who attend church regularly, those who are 65 and older, and those who identify with the Republican Party are more likely to believe that God created humans 'as is,' than are those who do not share these characteristics."

Gallup has asked this question, in different forms, going back to 1982, but has consistently shown support at 45% or higher for the notion that "God created man in present form."

The most recent poll, last September, posed the question this way: "Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin and development of human beings." This produced the 53% who chose "God created man exactly how Bible describes it," the 31% who said man did evolve but "God guided," and the 12% who backed evolution with God playing "no part."
    Sigh.... DD65, recently... yesterday, I posed the same question. "Why should I not move to Canada?" They have a proven, better healthcare system. Nobody has them on a terrorist radar scan. And they don't start any wars. Notice the ratio of their military to their healthcare system... but I digress.

DD65's frustration is real. I for one, do not think I am a good person to talk to about this specific subject because of my extreme, and incindiary hostility I have towards Christianity. I am completely biased against them and it is in my plan to destroy the religion. [Please... this is not an invitation for debate or argument.. we can do that another time. But please, not now. I'm wayy to tired with very little time to engage in combat.]

I have only one reason for not heading to Canada. The reasons for actually heading up there are based on the logical conclusion that we just don't want to deal with the ignorance that transpires in this country any more. Fed up. Let's move out. What can we do other than throw up our hands?? To me, it makes logical sense. The only reason I have for staying is that, this is our country. It has the potential of helping so many people, so many countries. The US is the only country that has the money, manpower and capability to do so much good in this world. We should be setting an example. This is our country and is it not worth fighting for? This is an emotional argument for staying and I try to avoid making emotional decisions. They are just not profitable.

I wish I had an answer.

For myself... I choose to fight. I am reading the bible, educating myself on the stories and history of the bible, history of the creation etc. I am also reading up on books that are written within the clergy. Try reading Sins of Scripture by Spong. A bishop for 24 years. With this new information, I hope to engage Churchies on my t-e-r-m-s, on their grounds. Through education and perseveriance I hope to instill change. It is an insane attempt, one which I would not suggest anyone else attempt, but it is the only option I have other than moving to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Mod
    Maybe I'm just tired but I don't see how this article and Canada connect? I've actually played with the thought of moving to Canada, I have many Canadian friends. LOL, but I would want to move my children, grandchildren and sister and her husband there too. That is a monumental undertaking.

Lady Mod
    The connection is that it is just mind numbingly insane what is happening in this country and we would like some peace of mind. We would like to surround ourselves with non-warmongering indivduals who put education, love, peace and prosperity and communication and helping others over war, religion, hate, ignorance and greed - which seems to be so prevelant here in the US. I know that the neocons will just say, "go ahead and move... please!" ... Therein lies the frustration.

Batarang Force

Quote Originally Posted by BatarngForce
    DD65's frustration is real. I for one, do not think I am a good person to talk to about this specific subject because of my extreme, and incindiary hostility I have towards Christianity. I am completely biased against them and it is in my plan to destroy the religion. [Please... this is not an invitation for debate or argument.. we can do that another time. But please, not now. I'm wayy to tired with very little time to engage in combat.]

Batarang Force
    I do not wish to engage in an argument on Christianity with you Bat, but please don't equate all Christians with the zealots. As to the poll, I never trust polls. Polls can be easily made to create a desired result through specific questions or through the people who are questioned. Please don't pack up and leave Dee or Bat, we need level-headed people to question our politicians and educate the 'sheeple', and I am a Christian conservative making that plea. Now please understand I do not believe I originated from a monkey, but I do believe in evolution. I do not wish to engage in a Creation v. Evolution debate either as there is a lengthy thread on that topic in the religious forum. Just wanted to keep those Canucks from snagging any Americans fleeing the fight for returning our country to some semblance of sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash
    I do not wish to engage in an argument on Christianity with you Bat, but please don't equate all Christians with the zealots. As to the poll, I never trust polls. Polls can be easily made to create a desired result through specific questions or through the people who are questioned. Please don't pack up and leave Dee or Bat, we need level-headed people to question our politicians and educate the 'sheeple', and I am a Christian conservative making that plea. Now please understand I do not believe I originated from a monkey, but I do believe in evolution. I do not wish to engage in a Creation v. Evolution debate either as there is a lengthy thread on that topic in the religious forum. Just wanted to keep those Canucks from snagging any Americans fleeing the fight for returning our country to some semblance of sanity.

He's not against all of them, I'm a christian, he and I get along just fine.

Personally, I came from Pomona, born of humans who were born of humans. I don't do much pondering of where as a race our roots originated. We are here, that is enough. And as a race we are mucking up this world and we need to stop that before we no longer have a planet worth living on.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

I just took the IQ test at http://web.tickle.com/tests/superiq. It says my IQ is 141 and that I'm a "Creative Theorist".

There's an interesting problem with the evolution theory. We've been documenting extinctions continuously since recorded history. Yet not once has the emergence of a new species been documented.

That's not a trend lending any help to the evolution theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirmeyahu
    I just took the IQ test at http://web.tickle.com/tests/superiq. It says my IQ is 141 and that I'm a "Creative Theorist".

There's an interesting problem with the evolution theory. We've been documenting extinctions continuously since recorded history. Yet not once has the emergence of a new species been documented.

That's not a trend lending any help to the evolution theory.

That is a good IQ test. It tests the various types of inteligence.